Lincoln Center's 2016 NewSong Music Performance & Songwriting Competiton

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Lincoln Center's 2016 NewSong Music Performance & Songwriting Competiton

Post by roymond »

In the event someone is interested...

Submit your songs today for your chance to be selected as one of ten finalists to perform and compete at the esteemed Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City this December.

There, one grand prize winner will be chosen to receive recording and performance prizes, assembled to provide significant credibility and momentum to the winner’s music and music career. Now in its 15th year, the NewSong Music Award is one of North America’s most respected and prestigious performance and songwriting showcases and competitions.

Past NewSong winners and standouts include Ingrid Michaelson, Meghan Trainor, Max Hatt/Edda Glass and Grace Potter.

The 2016 NewSong Music Grand Prize Winner will receive:

• A fully-funded recording session at the acclaimed Echo Mountain Recording Studios in beautiful Asheville, NC and released on the NewSong Recordings label
• A featured, return performance at Lincoln Center in New York in 2017
• A suite of other performance opportunities across the country
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Lincoln Center's 2016 NewSong Music Performance & Songwriting Competiton

Post by fluffy »

Note that it costs money to enter, starting at $30 for one song and ending at $215 for ten songs. Having been bit by an A&R scam in the past (and now being way more vigilant about such scams that I receive all the time) this puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Was just an FYI post. I have no connections with the place anymore. I can't speak to any scam aspects of this, but $215 is nothing if you're trying to break into bigger gigs.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Duly noted.

Whenever I see a pay-to-enter music contest that's being run by a large business I always have to wonder where the money is going, and why the profit center of said business isn't able to cover their basic costs in these regards. It's bad enough that there are many contests out there where people are basically doing creative spec work for free, but having to pay money to be considered always feels extra-shady to me.