A No Twists Original Flava Cover Fight

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Re: A No Twists Original Flava Cover Fight

Post by HeuristicsInc »

apropos to that, my "liner notes" link at the bottom of the thread has all my entries in it. not sure how we rectify collaborations with the coverfight, though - is any collab the person took part in fair game?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

HeuristicsInc wrote:apropos to that, my "liner notes" link at the bottom of the thread has all my entries in it. not sure how we rectify collaborations with the coverfight, though - is any collab the person took part in fair game?
-bill
I would say: "yes, but only if you can't find anything they did by themselves that you can use."

Fer instance: I added guitar to a couple Loyalty Day songs, but I'd be rather disappointed if the "cover" I got from the coverfight was one of those songs, since I didn't have anything to do with writing the song. The Gawking Urethras stuff I did with Wages, similarly - he wrote and sang the songs, I just recorded the instruments for a song he wrote. Of course, sometimes it's hard to tell who contributed what... and if Wages was in the coverfight, he might be quite happy to receive a cover of one of our GU songs.

Does that seem like a sufficient guiding principle? Fluffy, is there any historical precedent here ???

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I'd be happy if they picked any of the songs I was a part of.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

king_arthur wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote:apropos to that, my "liner notes" link at the bottom of the thread has all my entries in it. not sure how we rectify collaborations with the coverfight, though - is any collab the person took part in fair game?
-bill
I would say: "yes, but only if you can't find anything they did by themselves that you can use."

Fer instance: I added guitar to a couple Loyalty Day songs, but I'd be rather disappointed if the "cover" I got from the coverfight was one of those songs, since I didn't have anything to do with writing the song. The Gawking Urethras stuff I did with Wages, similarly - he wrote and sang the songs, I just recorded the instruments for a song he wrote. Of course, sometimes it's hard to tell who contributed what... and if Wages was in the coverfight, he might be quite happy to receive a cover of one of our GU songs.

Does that seem like a sufficient guiding principle? Fluffy, is there any historical precedent here ???

Charles (KA)

Songfighters, for the most part, are smart enough people to exercise good judgment in matters like this, especially if the participants are specific about which band/artist names they'd like considered.

For instance, I played the keyboards in an IRC All-Stars song called "Need Stilts." That was all I did. Obviously, I don't want anyone who pulls my name in a coverfight to choose that song, because it's really more of a Roymond/Blue Lang song, if anything. Point is, it wasn't "my" song, and I trust that Songfighters are intellegent enough to know the difference, as well as well-intentioned enough to do the "right" thing.

For whoever does get my name, I would (in the interest of keeping it simple) advise sticking with the songs done by "Jon Eric" (or "Jon Eric feat..." or "Jon Eric & ..."). I've entered under other names, which are all listed in my Songfight artist page, so just use your judgment if choosing from the others. Almost universally, when I enter under another name, there's a reason.

Also, if I had a question, I would probably ask the Covermaster, who could then anonymously route it to the appropriate recipient.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Alternatively: those who are throwing hats in rings can be specific whose songs are up for grabs. For example, if Spud specifies that Octothorpe is participating, I'd assume somebody would be covering a song that was entered by Octothorpe (and not any other song that Spud has participated in). If somebody signs up and provides a link to a comprehensive list of songs, I'd figure any or all of those would be fair game. If you do or don't want certain songs considered, SAY SO. Not rocket science.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, basically, it's just a matter of common sense. I don't think any rules ever had to be laid down in the early days because it's just, well, DUH.

FWIW, I'd prefer if whoever got me just stuck to Sockpuppet songs, unless they're absolutely dying to do some of my old stuff.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Pshyeah, like *that's* gonna happen.
* this is not a disclaimer
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

I'm interested, potentially with Hoglen.
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Since coverfights are "unofficial", my opinion here doesn't matter any more than anyone else's, but personally I feel that the King's "Songfighters covering other Songfighters" description is a little broad. I too, was around for the first ones, and we always thought of them as "Songfighters covering other Songfighers' Songfight songs".

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

Well, I kind of feel bad for whoever has to cover my dreck, but I'm interested (as Mike Lamb.)
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Let there be no mistake. Octothorpe is in. As Octothorpe.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

inevitableguy wrote:I just updated my info in this handy-dandy thread. If anyone else records under multiple band names or has participated in a metric assload of side fights, it would help a n00b like me out if you could do the same so that I know what you've done if I draw your name out of the random-number generator. :?
Anything under these names:

Caravan Ray
Give Our Regards To The Earth's Core
Tex Beaumont and the Dirty Hearts

will count as me
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I'd forgotten I posted to that thread long ago, so I updated it in case anyone was using it as a reference for all my songs (since it was missing all my songs which are actually worth listening to).

It's kind of sad how few songs I've done in the last three years.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Okay, next week when we are confirming who is in and who isn't, I will also ask everyone to specify which catalogs of music they would like their coverers to choose from (since that may not be the same as "everything I have been involved in") and then I will include that information in the PMs that get sent out with the assignments.

I'm thinking... please try to give your coverer at least ten songs to choose from - and if that includes AADs, nur ein, whatever... just make sure that the songs are available somewhere for listening. I like tuuur's idea - he has some songfight-title songs that never got submitted and is going to post them as choices. But for this fight, choices will not be limited to songs to SF titles.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:
king_arthur wrote: (...I seem to be the only one left here standing up for the Southern Hemisphere :( )
You mean "standing upside down," right?

I'm in.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Okay, it's "confirm you're in" time for the coverfight!

Whether you have expressed interest already or not, please confirm that you are in the coverfight. Either PM me or post here to confirm that you are in.

As we have discussed, it would also help if you could say what part of your "catalog" you would like to have your cover-ers chose from. For example, whoever gets me, I would like them to choose something from my official songfight entries as King Arthur. Somebody else might want their AAD songs or their Nur Ein songs or anything else to be fair game. For songs outside the SF titles, please confirm that they are still playable. I will include this information in the PMs sent out to assign covers, and I will act as a go-between if people need lyrics, etc.

As noted before, we should be able to host covers of SF Title songs here.

I will keep the front page up to date to say who's confirmed in, and hopefully at the end of this week, I will be able to send out assignments.

Due date for the fight will be Monday November 15th.

Charles (KA)
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

King Arthur is in the coverfight. Please cover something that was submitted to songfight as "King Arthur." Thanks!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Sockpuppet is in the coverfight. Anything I've done that's Song Fight-related and have owned up to is fair game, if you can show how it's Song Fight-related.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Berkeley Social Scene is confirmed. Please stick to our songfight catalog, though I'm sure my bandmates wouldn't mind if you did a song from Nur Ein.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

I keep coming back and looking at this so I'll throw my hat in. Let's let my stuff include the LMNOP entries in the songfight archive and the Milo Dunderville entries in Nur Ein V.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Jan Krueger is in the coverfight. All songs I have written and performed are free for the taking. If you would prefer to limit yourself to Song Fight songs, by all means do so.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Wages (and/or Hoglen & Wages) is/are in. You can choose anything that I've ever been a part of including but not limited to:

TuneFlow w/ The EAF (biggest song ever: I Miss Disco)
Tuneflow as Wages
My Website
My Website's Loose Music Folder (this will likely have most sidefight entries)
MySpace
And FAWM.org (I think these are mostly listed in my loose music folder above)

And on SongFight.org:
Billy's Little Trip feat. Wages
Gawking Urethras (with King Arthur)
Hoglen & Wages
Hoglen and Wages (if these could be combined, that'd be awesome!)
King Arthur feat. Wages feat. King Arthur
Klownhole feat. Wages and Jeff Robertson
Wagaco
Wages
Wages, feat. Kill Me Sarah and Signboy
Wages feat. Project D
Wages of Oats
Wages of Sin
Wages of Spin

Also various sidefights, Nur Ein (the last one with Hoglen; good stuff IMHO), Radnoise (maybe?), GOM, and....

This little Christian gem I wrote from my religious days. It's been played at a wedding and put to sheet music! "I Thank God"
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more