fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Portal 2

Post by fluffy »

I just beat it. Wonderful game. A bit short though. At least it's longer than Portal 1, but I also felt like it was somewhat easier. But it more than makes up for it by being very well-written and just plain hilarious. It has a great soundtrack, too.

Split-screen co-op on the PS3 version is fun as well. Haven't played it online yet because PSN has been down for a few days so I can't even activate my copy on Steam. Bleh.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Portal 2

Post by ujnhunter »

I thought the best thing about the original Portal was the length. I was able to enjoy the whole experience in one sitting. I'll be waiting until the Xbox 360 version drops to $20 before getting Portal 2, because I have no interest in multiplayer and there is no way a sequel to a $10-20 game is getting my $60 for extra modes I don't care about.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

$60? When I preordered the PS3 version it was $45, and then Amazon gave me like $30 in credit as a preorder bonus. So in effect it ended up cheaper than the original. Length-wise it's a bit longer than the original; it's easy to beat the first one in two hours, while the total play length of the second one is more like 6.

Also, the only added mode is the co-op, which really is a lot of fun. They actually removed the challenge mode from the original.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Yes, great game. I found the length quite okay, especially since it's much more packed with creativity than most longer games.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Six hours? Power-gamer. I spent at least ten on the single player campaign (just finished it a few minutes ago).

Looking forward to when my brother gets this so we can co-op that sucker.

And yeah, my pre-order was only $45. I guess it got more expensive when it came out and/or when you want to buy the console version.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I did buy the console version. (PS3, since it also comes with the PC/Mac version and lets you do cross-platform co-op, so I figured even if the PS3 version sucked like it did for Portal 1 it wouldn't be a total loss. Fortunately it didn't suck.) Oh, but Amazon says I paid $55 for it. Still, worth it, and I got like $25 in Amazon credit as a pre-order bonus anyway.

And I'm not a power-gamer, I just found it to be ridiculously easy. I'm not sure exactly how much time I did spend on it, but it couldn't have been much more than 6 hours. MAYBE 8.

I do sort of feel like playing through again to see how many of the time-based achievements I can get, now that I know all the solutions.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

So you prefer the console version, then? That's strange to me, because ever since I first played a computer-based shooter with mouse-look controls, I could not handle First-Person Shooters with controllers. Not even on a system as high-powered as the PS3, not even with dual analog sticks. It just feels terrible after years of using the mouse to aim.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

No, I'd probably prefer the PC version, but because PSN is down I can't activate my freaking Steam copy. I figured that between the pre-order bonuses and the fact the PS3 version comes with the PC version free, and that the versions stay in sync with savegames and achievements and so on, meant that worst case I hated the PS3 version and just played the PC version instead. (Turns out the worst case also involves not being able to get the PC version as part of it. Oh well.)

But the PS3 version worked quite nicely. If there were any aiming/timing-twitchy levels it would have been pretty frustrating though, like with Portal 1 (which I originally bought on PS3 because at the time there was no way to play it on the Mac and I wasn't about to buy a Windows PC just for one cheap game). I mean it was playable on the PS3, but just barely.