There can be only one.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Nur Ein XIV Round Seven "Survival"

Post by Niveous »

The end is in sight but the true toughest challenge remains!

Submit an original song by June 17th at 12:01 AM (EDT) that fits the following criteria

Title: Survival
Challenge: Bring Your A Game

It's time for you to do whatever it is you do best. Go for broke. And this time, it's not the tastes of 5 judges you are dealing with. The finals are voted on by the judges as well as the competition who were eliminated during this year's Nur Ein.

Send your MP3 to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

Good luck!!!!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Nur Ein XIV, Final Round: Survival

Post by glennny »

This song is more in my head than the U2 song was during Where the Streets Have No Name
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been participating much this year.

What happened to the good old days of Nur Ein when you could just post crap and sail through to the 4th round?

I had a holiday planned this year. I did round zero at home while packing. My plan was to do crap songs for round 1 (in Paris) and round 2 (while cycling through the Loire Valley), then in round 3 I would be in a Cornwall fishing village for a week where I could concentrate a decent song. Then Round 5 back home Tooowoomba and I win.

But no...you bastards had to change things didn't you.

Imagine my delight to see effing Frankie effing Big face and offing Glenn effing Case and effing PUKE or whatever he calls himself nowadays re appears again . Too much competition!!

SCREW YOUR BASTARDS.. I dont mind being knocked out in round 1. I HAD A LOVELY HOLIDAY!!!! (it was actually fabulous - I am glad I wasn't trying to wring songs - that would have been dumb!!)
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:16 am
Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been participating much this year.

What happened to the good old days of Nur Ein when you could just post crap and sail through to the 4th round?

I had a holiday planned this year. I did round zero at home while packing. My plan was to do crap songs for round 1 (in Paris) and round 2 (while cycling through the Loire Valley), then in round 3 I would be in a Cornwall fishing village for a week where I could concentrate a decent song. Then Round 5 back home Tooowoomba and I win.

But no...you bastards had to change things didn't you.

Imagine my delight to see effing Frankie effing Big face and offing Glenn effing Case and effing PUKE or whatever he calls himself nowadays re appears again

SCREW YOUR BASTARDS.. I dont mind being knocked out in round 1. I HAD A LOVELY HOLIDAY!!!! (it was actually fabulous - I am glad I wasn't trying to wring songs - that would have been dumb!!)
Oh...and weirdly - the very strange song I did in round one which was recorded in Paris toilet could actually become useful to me - since it was written - Australia has become a neo-nazi state - so my paranoid rantings were quite prescient.

Thank you Nur Ein

It was a very strong comp this year. Well done all. See you next year.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

You guys should know that The Dead Don’t Die is a pretty fun movie. Sturgill Simpson has a pretty cool guitar in it too.
mo
Mean Street
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

Also you guys should know this was the first time I had to tell Gleen to turn up the guitar during my solo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, great songs! Amazing work from the finalists, very impressive. Seems like after some fatigue last week you all got second winds and really went all out. Awesome!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Thanks Sam!

Really enjoying the final songs and the shadows. Amazing work from Max Bombast! And do I hear clav and synth arpeggios on that Mandibles song? Jerkatorium will be after you for stealing their sound ;)
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Post by Lucky Spoon »

Thank you Max for giving me a full OD of Bombast to go out on. I will try my best to listen to the other entries and cast my vote.

Side note: how do we cast our votes?
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Send your finals vote to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

I'll close the voting by 10pm (Eastern) tomorrow.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

vowlvom wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 am
And do I hear clav and synth arpeggios on that Mandibles song? Jerkatorium will be after you for stealing their sound ;)
Ha, actually they are a keyboard entered hard rock midi guitar and a hand entered acoustic midi guitar, accompanied by midi drums and two different tracks of GarageBand pedal arrangements on my my bass. And the singers, of course!

Course, I was trying to steal Dragonforce’s sound, but I’m sure the Jerks don’t mind!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Reminder - the Finals LP is at 9pm EST tonight, I'll start the preshow about an hour or so early...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3we2m5XtU
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Last minute shadow by the Kraken Lives

https://soundcloud.com/glenartrock/surv ... aken-lives
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Hey Everyone. Just returned from Disney World. 🤪 Hence, my sudden disappearance and radio silence.

Congrats to the winners and finalists! I’ll try to come back next year with my “A game”! Still adjusting to family life vs. creative life. (Plus trying to be a published composer which surprisingly nets more than my Nur Ein career!)

Sincere thanks to the judges for their hard work and to Niveous for keeping this going. Peace out! See you in Madison!!
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

congrats to the finalists - both very impressive songs - I have sent my vote in - good luck !
mo
Mean Street

Post by mo »

I voted for Max Bombast's "Survival (Mode)", the one that is the most Royal Blood

But Gleen actually controls our vote so he vetoed me.

Any way it turns out, it's been a blast reconnecting with some of you, and engaging with others of you for the first time. Does anyone have a favorite song of the whole Nur Ein? Like if you had to pick one song that in hindsight, now is the "best" single song, what would you pick?

I might actually pick Rain Watt's "No Memory"
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Whoa! Congrats Vowl Sounds!

What an intense final round. Both finalists did great work. I enjoyed all the songs from both finalists and many of the songs from many of the other competitors. Great work everybody! This year set a really high bar.

Also, HUGE thanks to the judges for possibly THE most efficiently operated Nur Ein ... ever? I for one massively appreciated the timely posting of the titles/challenges and results. Big props to the Jerks for podcast reviewing every single round, and thanks to the other judges for the reviews they were able to write and post.
mo
Mean Street

Post by mo »

All hail the Vowl! Couldn’t have lost to nicer people, who are also great songsmiths, well done you old so-and-sos!
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

My reviews will get posted later, but congrats to the winner & runner up. This was one of the toughest contests I've followed over the past couple decades. To make it to the final round is impressive & well deserved.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Yes!!!! Wow! Thank you voters and judges and Niveous and everyone, I am delighted! Congratulations to Agony Sauce for a superb final song and to Glenn's dogs for their featured vocal that carried us to victory and also to Max for writing considerably more songs than everyone else. Nur Ein is excellent and being absolutely exhausted for two solid months was worth it because now we have eight new songs that I'm extremely proud of and it is 4:30am I'm going back to sleep
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Wow! Yay!!! Not sleeping for 8 weeks straight has finally paid off in fleeting internet glory! It was a real pleasure sharing the finals with Agony Sauce, I loved their last song and getting to be a part of it, and also they are very nice and chill along with being excellent musicians and songwriters. Even if they did call us Bowel Sounds, which I will NEVER forget or forgive, you homonculi.

Also thanks again to the judges for all the hard work and careful listening, to Boffo Yux Dudes for hosting the listening parties, to our multitude of resident podcasters, and everyone who has been taking the time to listen and comment and review on the boards. I've heard SO many great songs this Nur Ein, it's been kind of mind-blowing to me how much excellent music has come out of this group of musicians in the last two months, so great work, everyone who's participated! (Also come to Madison in August for SF Live please so I can meet you all in person!)

Glenn and Rachael should post a picture of their dogs btw, they are not only golden-voiced but also very photogenic. And good at solving crimes.