YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Toby Roktot
Marmoset
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Toby Roktot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:10 pm

My bologna has a first name.........


(you all will determine "how's that"
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Toby Roktot wrote:My bologna has a first name.........


(you all will determine "how's that"
Don't leave us in suspense
User avatar
Jerkatorium
Marmoset
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:48 pm
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Jerkatorium » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:14 pm

fluffy wrote:
Toby Roktot wrote:My bologna has a first name.........


(you all will determine "how's that"
Don't leave us in suspense
Attachments
Pation.png
Pation.png (19.67 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
User avatar
iVeg
Tamarin
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by iVeg » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:33 am

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxyEJ ... UREVUJpRlk
My version :D Maybe late, maybe just in time?
facebook.com/ivegband
Toby Roktot
Marmoset
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Toby Roktot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:49 pm

here ya go fluffy....

http://youtu.be/rmPRHJd3uHI
Toby Roktot
Marmoset
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Toby Roktot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:15 pm

iveg....nice !!
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Toby Roktot wrote:here ya go fluffy....

http://youtu.be/rmPRHJd3uHI
yep
User avatar
AJOwens
Galago
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by AJOwens » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:38 am

Some juicy entries in this fight. Watch out for Sockpuppet, Inflatable Vegetables, and Omega Unstroppable -- unless, of course, Charlie plays guitar takes it in an upset win.
Toby Roktot
Marmoset
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Toby Roktot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:44 pm

James, I agree with you on those three...but, fluff left out the special words !!! I guess I don't understand all these rules. My personal fav is Glennny. This one really caught me. I've been streaming all day while wrapping presents, very good fight guys !!! Charlie, uh, where's the guitar? Damn !! more rules !!!
I'll post reviews and comment later...Happy Holidays All...Cheers !!!
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 pm

... special words?
User avatar
AJOwens
Galago
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by AJOwens » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:09 pm

fluffy wrote:... special words?
That would be the song title.

As others have noted in the past, the rules don't require you to use the song title. You just have to be inspired by the title; and as I recall, Fluffy mentioned being inspired.
User avatar
jb
Lemur
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by jb » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:02 pm

AJOwens wrote:
fluffy wrote:... special words?
the rules don't require you to use the song title. You just have to be inspired by the title
Ah, a slight correction: The song you make must have the fight title as its title, and your song needs to sound like it has the fight's title as its title.

So if, for example, this week's fight title were "That's Enough", but you submitted a song that sounds like its title should be "Interstellar" (even though it uses the words "That's Enough" in the lyrics), you're in violation of the spirit of the rules if not the letter. -- However, you're not disqualified and there is no penalty whatsoever except some people might give you shit on the message boards, if your song isn't pretty god damned awesome. Which it was and nobody better disagree. :evil:

On the other hand, if you submit an entry where the ID3 tags of the MP3 file say the title of the song is something other than the fight title, and Fightmaster actually goes so far as to notice that fact, your entry will actually be disqualified! Since you've so blatantly violated the rules (you're kind of not even trying) and even Fightmaster has his/her limits.

JB
"Recently I've found the mic makes a difference." - AJOwens
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:23 pm

AJOwens wrote:
fluffy wrote:... special words?
That would be the song title.

As others have noted in the past, the rules don't require you to use the song title. You just have to be inspired by the title; and as I recall, Fluffy mentioned being inspired.
Yes, that's what I was getting at. There has never been a rule that a song must have the title in the lyrics. Or lyrics at all, for that matter. Even if there's an "optional challenge" it's, well, optional, and often vague enough that it's really just a prompt.
Toby Roktot wrote:Charlie, uh, where's the guitar? Damn !! more rules !!!
What rules are you even reading?
User avatar
AJOwens
Galago
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by AJOwens » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm

fluffy wrote: . . . Or lyrics at all, for that matter. . .
That's true, but in my experience, if a fight has an instrumental entry, at least one reviewer will treat the entry as disqualified. And I understand why. Decent lyrics are at least half the battle. Besides, if the song has no words, what connects it to the words in the title?
User avatar
iVeg
Tamarin
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by iVeg » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Listened in random order. It's been a good fight to listen to.

Sockpuppet: Nice weird vibe, hippie/ yuppie snacks
PigFarmer: Great opening riff. Like your chorus harmonies.
James Owens: Cool intro effects, love the flute
Omega: Love the over the top/ overly theatrical vibe on this one! Great guitars, too.
Charlie Plays Guitar: Creepy atmospheric. Voice fits perfectly. Too long feeling, tho.
iVeg = me.
Jim Fallope: Very minimal feeling. Very funny last verse.
Jerkatorium: Love the "Grinch" wa-hoo wa-oh BGVs. Light happy chime-y song, despite not so happy chorus, and then 2:00 hits like a sledgehammer.
Charles & Pierre Etienne: Jazzy. Well done. Liked the change at 1:32.
Toby Rocktot: Story was well done. I read your lyrics while I was working on my original song. Yours was much better, more impact, so I dumped what I had and started over.
Glennny: Modern fairy tale gone wrong...
facebook.com/ivegband
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:15 pm

AJOwens wrote:
fluffy wrote: . . . Or lyrics at all, for that matter. . .
That's true, but in my experience, if a fight has an instrumental entry, at least one reviewer will treat the entry as disqualified. And I understand why. Decent lyrics are at least half the battle. Besides, if the song has no words, what connects it to the words in the title?
This is the same tired argument that comes about every single time this comes up. And there isn't even an instrumental in this fight. (Yes I realize I'm the one who brought it up in the first place.)

If someone writes an instrumental that connects to the title and it clearly connects to the title, shouldn't that be an indication that they put a lot of effort into said instrumental? Shouldn't that give them "bonus points," per se? One could argue that lyrics are a simple crutch. Or you could have an instrumental where someone just shouts out the title halfway through - does that make it magically a song that abides by your reductionist definition?

My horses in this particular race: Repair My Heart and And Counting.
User avatar
AJOwens
Galago
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by AJOwens » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:49 pm

fluffy wrote:
AJOwens wrote:
fluffy wrote: . . . Or lyrics at all, for that matter. . .
That's true, but in my experience, if a fight has an instrumental entry, at least one reviewer will treat the entry as disqualified. And I understand why. Decent lyrics are at least half the battle. Besides, if the song has no words, what connects it to the words in the title?
This is the same tired argument that comes about every single time this comes up. And there isn't even an instrumental in this fight. (Yes I realize I'm the one who brought it up in the first place.)

If someone writes an instrumental that connects to the title and it clearly connects to the title, shouldn't that be an indication that they put a lot of effort into said instrumental? Shouldn't that give them "bonus points," per se? One could argue that lyrics are a simple crutch. Or you could have an instrumental where someone just shouts out the title halfway through - does that make it magically a song that abides by your reductionist definition?

My horses in this particular race: Repair My Heart and And Counting.
Geez, I didn't realize this would make you so cranky. As we say up here in Canada, sorry!

I sent in an instrumental for Cost of Living, which was actually based on a burgle of Gooey Caramel Centaur's lyrics [aka supremeedible], and which was a f--ing genius setting of their emotional rhythms, if I do say so myself; all you have to do is read them while you listen; but even though I mentioned it in the prefight and the review thread, hardly anybody noticed, and I got "I quite liked this one, though it's got nothing to do with the title" and "Not sure what it has to do with anything" and "Am I the only one not hearing vocals?"

Am I bitter? Nah. So people are dense; what about it?

As for songs where the title is shouted out -- and that happens, of course -- obviously I have no problem with them, although if they have sound effects which could be construed as appropriate to the title, I suppose that couldn't hurt. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I listened to your Repair My Heart while you were editing your post (unfortunately the review thread is 404); I'll check out the other one next. But what about my entry five years ago this fight? (For posterity, that would be I'm Eating a Wasp (Part 1)).

[EDIT] Let's do it up right: Here are the lyrics.
------
I think this lyric is quite sure to be untouched by burglars...

Gooey Caramel Centaur

O Lord, again I stumble to
Your feet to ask a favour:
How greatly I depend on You
A thousand times my saviour!
But Lord, may I not treat You as
A granter of my wishes
You called us to be working hands
Your harvesters and fishers

No thing I long for more than to
Be given the faith to answer
Lord, give me eyes alone for You
That I may follow after
And help me more to understand
The love You showed in giving
Your very self to murd'rous hands
To pay the cost of living
------------------------------------------
Last edited by AJOwens on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Not cranky, just somewhat annoyed by this refrain.

I will listen to the linked things but hopefully my next post in this thread will be on-topic reviews of this fight's entries.
Toby Roktot
Marmoset
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Toby Roktot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Fluffy said
What rules are you even reading
hey Fluff... just kiddin' sorry, and I'm not even from Canada....altho I do think hockey is THE pure sport

sayin'
User avatar
AJOwens
Galago
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by AJOwens » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:18 pm

fluffy wrote: My horses in this particular race: Repair My Heart and And Counting.
The first one didn't do anything for me, and I honestly don't see what it had to do with the title. I guess you had to be there.

I liked the second one. If the title had anything remotely to do with jungles, I would consider it as qualifying.
User avatar
fluffy
Baboon
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by fluffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Jerkatorium - We didn’t start the fire… Cute, but I’d have loved to hear you do something like the meat grinder reminding you of someone fondly.

Omega Unstroppable - Operatic metal? With… ska overtones? I’m confused by this. And possibly aroused. v

Charlie plays guitar - This is the weirdest folk-blues song I’ve ever heard. I appreciate what you’re trying to do here but I don’t think I can sit through this whole thing. (But I will anyway, because SCIENCE.) I suspect that when you say you play guitar you mean like a game, not like an instrument, right?

Glenny - It might be the scotch talking but I had a hard time following this song.

Pigfarmer Jr - Timing is weirdly off between the singing and the backing track. Vocals could use a few more takes, maybe some double-tracking or something. There’s a good melody here, but the arrangement needs a lot more variety. Drums could especially use more variation to break up the sameyness.

Jim Fallope and his Fallopian Dudes - So, my cat has a tendency to bite me when there’s a noise she doesn’t like and which she thinks I’m in control of starting and stopping. She bit me a lot during this song. I asked her for a clarification but she just meowed.

Charles and Pierre Etienne - Smooth jazzy funk flow. Also a pretty sparse arrangement but things stay varied enough to keep it from getting boring. Maybe a touch too much reverb on the vocals? Cut the treble on them a bit too. Otherwise, I like this. v

inflatable vegetables - Vocals definitely need to be brought forward a bit. Boost their bass a little. Also let that guitar “breathe” a bit more. Good arrangement overall though. v

James Owens - Great instrumental. Works really well for this title. Although shouting out the title to make it “legit” doesn’t actually help the connection at all and just seems like you’re trying to shoehorn something. When it didn’t seem like that without the title callout. But whatever it's a great instrumental otherwise. v

Sockpuppet - Glad to see that habitual use of pot hasn’t affected you at all. Send my regards to Karen and Fred. (If you like you can remix this.)

toby roktot - Drum machine drums that sound like drum machine drums that are trying to sound like real drums are kind of a pet peeve. There are a few things you can do to make them not sound quite so mechanical. Like, if those are MIDI loops, you can apply a gentle humanization to them, or if … “meat grinder trying to make ends meat” okay we’re done here
Toby Roktot
Marmoset
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Toby Roktot » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:43 am

Fluffy,
The correct word is 'meet'....
You had me racing to the lyrics archive to sea if I had f-ed up...

Thanks for the review. How would one "humanize" the drum machine?
Thx agn
Post Reply