Where's The Shredder for the (Tearing Down History Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Where's The Shredder for the (Tearing Down History Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please be gentle..... or not... It's songFIGHT after all.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Where's The Shredder for the (Tearing Down History Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted! Enjoy ... ??? :P
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Tim Hinkle - really like the fuzzy bassline and the clattery percussion. The vocal melody seems to lose its way a bit when you step up to a higher register partway in I think, but the instrumental break is great and won me back over.

Phillipso - killer guitar work again, I love those interwoven harmonised lead parts and the chilled out acoustic jangling away jazzily in the background. I definitely like this vocal style more than the all-out bellowing of the previous Phillipso entry, and the backing vocals are great.

Lichen Throat - this has such an odd rhythm to it, and I like it a lot. As usual the MIDI guitars sound better in some places than others - the plucks that ring out sound great but the fast strums aren’t too ear-pleasing to me. I think you’ve done good work here though, the vocal feels well mixed and the lyric is interesting.

Paco del Stinko - another really great one. The clean first guitar solo in the midst of the crunchy guitars particularly worked for me, although the longer second solo is a banger too. Can’t really find anything to criticise here apart from the way you seem to be able to churn out these astonishingly well rounded tracks fight after fight and I haven’t managed to write a song in weeks and obviously that sickens me.

Berkeley Social Scene - GREAT intro, 70s crime-movie vibes. The lift for the pre-chorus is great and I love the emotional piano in the actual chorus, although the melody for the pre-chorus is a lot more interesting than the actual chorus which gives it a slightly odd anticlimactic feel, maybe? Solo is great as ever.

Third Cat - aww, based on the verse I thought I was going to have a new favourite Third Cat song but I’m not really crazy about the chorus… there’s so much cool tension to the verse and the chorus didn’t really provide a satisfying release for me, although I’m not quite sure why. I LOVE the middle-8 (which really reminded me of the Radio Dept) as well and still definitely voting for this but I wish I liked the chorus more.

Pigfarmer Jr. - solid track, I like the mix of the guitars and I especially enjoyed the more wistful feel to the middle-8 where the acoustic takes focus.

Glennny - liked this one a lot too, I always appreciate the combination of a catchy riff and a weird time signature. There’s a lot going on here and it pretty much all works.

Another really good fight.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Berkeley Social Scene—I like the piano in the chorus. In the mix, the vocal sounds almost like it’s separate from the rest of the song, especially at the beginning. I’m not grooving on the 70s guitar sound, but the solo is really sweet.

Glennny—The gradual buildup throughout each verse is very well done. I’d like the chorus to burst forth more exuberantly, however. The level of musicianship and the mix are both quite good.

Lichen Throat (me)—My two favorite songs about the fall of the Berlin Wall are Thomas Dolby’s “Eastern Bloc” and Rush’s “Heresy.” My goal here was to create a thematic sequel to those two. Accordingly, the first and second verses each have lyrical references to those songs, while the last verse is just stuffed with whatever Cold War imagery I could fit in. I was trying to capture the idea that, while contemporary Berlin is obviously a vast improvement over the oppressive conditions of the previous era, the city is inevitably losing some of its historical mystique. In general, I’m happy with how this one came out. Aside from the usual caveats about my singing, I’m not sure I did the double-tracking quite right, and sometimes I think it could use another instrument, but I like it overall.

Paco del Stinko—I like the pauses where everything is silent except for guitar. The mix is good, and the bridge fits well with the rest of the song. The part that starts at about 2:36 is a highlight. I couldn’t quite figure out what the lyrics were supposed to be about—maybe try a little less abstraction?

Phillipso—I love the full sound of the guitars and the mix overall. The song is a bit on the languid side for my taste, but all the performances are good.

Pigfarmer Jr.—This is one of your best. I like the wistful tone. Simply a solid song. I don’t think the lyrical content quite matches the emotion evoked by the music, but other than that, thumbs up all around.

Third Cat—I very much like the higher pitched vocals on the chorus; the melody there is great, and the unexpected shift is an excellent moment in the performance. I’d like the rest of the song to be a little spicier, however.

Tim Hinkle—The timbre of your voice is great—and perfect for this song. I like the vocal melody. I find the tambourine a little distracting. I thought I was going to hate the kazoo bridge, but somehow it works. How did it occur to you to do that?
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

I'm gonna do my voting a bit different this time - giving a review now and then listening again later to decide on my votes.

Lichen Throat - kind of a neat medieval vibe there on the intro (and the instrumental break), for being programmed guitar it sounds pretty decent and I like the sound you got with your drums. this seems like an improvement on some of your other stuff I've heard as far as the mix/production. I think the vocals might actually sound better totally spoken or whispered or something like that.

Tim Hinkle - Has a sort of '50s or '60s pop vibe as far as the melody and the instrumental which I quite like, I'd like to hear a bit more highs on the vocal ... still this is rather charming. I really dig the bizarre instrumental solo. are those kazoos?

Pigfarmer Jr - Pretty good/tuneful. I like the mix quite a bit. Definitely leaning towards a vote for this one. Maybe my favorite of yours I've heard so far.

BSS - Love the groove and the wah wah guitar. Vocals fit the track pretty well. The instrumental on this one is kicking my ass for sure. Good stuff. Another one where I think it might be my favorite I've heard. Cool solo. Definite vote. I really like this one.

Glennny - Lots of neat stuff going on here instrumentally but I'm not loving the vocals, this might be a grower where I dig it more when I come back to it. A maybe vote.

Phillipso - I'm getting a real '90s alterna rock feel here in some places but also has a bit of a 70s thing going on. Mix seems a little bit messy, a bit rough. Vocals sometimes get lost in the mix. Overall a good song and a probable vote.

Paco - One of the things I really like about your tracks are the backing vocals you put seem to put on most (all?) of your songs, they really make certain parts pop. Great instrumentally as usual. Probable vote.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Great reviews, guys. I'll get mine up in a couple days. Hey, I work weekends, ok? Early fave is the scruffy but very enjoyable Tom Hinkle entry.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

F# Locrian
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

glennny wrote:F# Locrian
Cryptic much? :P
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, kazooka
Recording Method: Audacity, UMC404HD
Submitting as: Tim Hinkle

Post by neutronflow »

Glenny - Really catchy riff going on. Reminds me slightly of Talking Heads, or maybe a 70s prog group's foray into the 80s. Vocal harmonies right at the end could do with being a bit more solid.

Phillipso - The sound of all the instruments, individually and together, is really nice on this. The song seems kind of unfocused and rambling to me, though. I really like the backing vocals in the chorus.

Third Cat - I think your vocals sound particularly good on this, especially the opening verses. It's growing on me the more I listen as well.

Berkeley Social Scene - I get a Camper Van Beethoven vibe from this. I also think the piano in the chorus sounds great. I particularly like the melody of "we choose where the lines are drawn."

Lichen Throat - This is really quite compelling. Your vocal is working with the music for me this time. I've been playing around with this on my guitar today because I wanted to get a better handle on its construction. I think it'd be neat if the final time through the chorus it ended on an A major.

Paco del Stinko - Really like the "you don't want to be that guy"s. "Misery frown" is a fun rhyme for "history down."

Pigfarmer Jr - This is very catchy. Very bop-along-able. I was entirely bopping along.

This is a pretty solid group of songs, everything is very likable. I think my favorites are Glenny and Paco.
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by neutronflow »

thirdcat wrote:I really dig the bizarre instrumental solo. are those kazoos?
Yes, three kazoo parts.
lichenthroat wrote:I thought I was going to hate the kazoo bridge, but somehow it works. How did it occur to you to do that?
I've been a keen proponent of kazoo solos for years. I did another kazoo bit a few months ago on Song Fight for "Your Discarded Cigarette." To a certain extant I genuinely like the sound of kazoos and to another extent sometimes it gets so late at night when I'm doing these recordings that I become too tired to lift the weight of my guitar anymore.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

The Jerks are back with another podcast for the Tearing History Down fight, this time with special guest Micah Sommersmith!

If you'd like to join us for our upcoming review of the Yes, You're A Robot fight, drop me a PM on the boards, and maybe you can Skype in with us for our next podcast!

There are a few ways you can listen to it:
Also, if you'd like to give us an earful of what you liked, or didn't like about this podcast, you can email us at: feedback@twojerksonevote.com.

We won't blame you if you don't want to hear us yammer on about every song. Use the timings below to jump right to the song(s) you're interested in, the entire podcast is over an hour this time.
  • 00:00:00 - Intro song
  • 00:01:07 - Beginning-of-podcast yammering
  • 00:05:28 - Berkeley Social Scene
  • 00:10:19 - Glennny
  • 00:14:15 - Lichen Throat
  • 00:27:18 - Paco del Stinko
  • 00:31:14 - Phillipso
  • 00:41:20 - Pigfarmer Jr
  • 00:51:02 - Third Cat
  • 00:57:23 - Tim Hinkle
  • 01:04:38 - End-of-podcast yammering
Hope ya enjoy it!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

Fun podcast Chumpy. listened to the whole thing and found your comments interesting. on the tearing down statues; I think the difference with George Washington vs. confederate statues is that Washington isn't being venerated because he had slaves but because he helped our country win independence and was our first President. this is in stark contrast to the confederate statues which are there because of support for white supremacy. feature, not a bug in that case.

(also on my song; it's just me experimenting with different vocal layering, no female vocalist, but I dig that someone thought that)
Last edited by thirdcat on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I haven't made it all the way through the podcast but I wanted to say I also find it entertaining, and furthermore it's really awesome that you are investing time in Song Fight!, and doing it in a way that helps promote the community element of it. Thank you!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Love the podcast!

I had to go relook at my Phillipso lyrics, I thought I was just improvising about a broken up relationship. However, the Kavanaugh angle totally works. It's all around, so I'm sure subconsciously it's an influence, but that wasn't what I was really thinking about.

PS- The BSS song has the F# Locrian riff
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

glennny wrote:I had to go relook at my Phillipso lyrics, I thought I was just improvising about a broken up relationship. However, the Kavanaugh angle totally works. It's all around, so I'm sure subconsciously it's an influence, but that wasn't what I was really thinking about.
I did wonder if I might be reading more into it than was there, but the parallels seemed too direct to be coincidental. This point in history is getting into everyone's heads, to be sure. Might be time to tear it down...

I tried to be fair in my comments on everyone's songs, and I hope I came off that way. I had a great time doing the podcast.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Re: Podcast comments on my entry:

Firstly, I'm not against removing statues.
Secondly, one line was quoted but the one following it is important, I think:
A statue ain't nothing but what you see
It's our hearts and minds that we must reach
And
Seems to me we need reminded every now and again
Of all the mistakes made in the past
I think that the point of the song was kind of missed (obviously my fault for bad writing.) Removing a statue doesn't erase the past or change the hearts or minds of anyone (living or dead.) Removing a statue doesn't address the real issues facing America today.

Thirdly: There are acoustic, electric and bass guitars, drums and a vocal. If you don't wan't a room recording of a guy singing with a guitar then don't complain when you don't get a room recording of a guy singing with a guitar. 'Cause that's how you get more room recordings of a guy singing with a guitar.

lichenthroat
Mean Street

Post by lichenthroat »

Of course the Cinnabon reference was from last fight's podcast! I put that in just for you guys; the hard part was making it fit into the song in a way that made sense. I enjoyed this week's podcast quite a bit and found most of the comments insightful, both for my song and all the other songs. Special thanks to Micah for all the particularly kind words.

Most of your suppositions about my use of Linux are correct. However, I've recently switched to using Ardour, rather than just Audacity, to record and mix. Ardour has a lot of capabilities I haven't fully explored, so there's still a lot of expertise I could potentially develop.

As for your comments about me using the same instruments all the time, I think it may be more an issue of my use of MuseScore to write the songs and export the tracks, rather than the particular sampled instruments. The main guitar sample I used this time was one I'd never used before, but I agree that my songs, including this one, have a distinct artificiality. I did try to be more adventurous on "Yes, You're a Robot," partly in response to your comments, which I heard before I recorded this afternoon. The vocal was a little beyond my capability, so I'm afraid you're in for a big dose of meandering melody, however.
lichenthroat
Mean Street

Post by lichenthroat »

neutronflow wrote:Lichen Throat - This is really quite compelling. Your vocal is working with the music for me this time. I've been playing around with this on my guitar today because I wanted to get a better handle on its construction. I think it'd be neat if the final time through the chorus it ended on an A major.
I'm honored that you thought enough of my song to try to play part of it. The last note is a C-major power chord. After having experimented with it, I agree that it sounds better if the last guitar chord is A-major. I tried a bunch of different kinds of chords in A-major. The one I thought sounded best was A2-C2-E2-A3; I'm not sure what the proper name for that kind of chord is.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Excellent podcasting again, so much detailed discussion this time around. I like that it's resulting in more discussion on the forum, too!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments with morning coffee. Feel free to ask for clarification. Always!

Berkeley Social Scene - Fun wah goings on. Interesting how it pulls attention away from the other guitar though. The piano flourishes are very good. I think I like the pre-chorus best, esp. the chord structure there.

Glennny
- Manic rhythm but your voice and choice of instrument voices keep it leaning to a softer edge. Not a complaint, if it were all saw edges this would be tiring to listen to with all that's going on. Tasty lead. But of course!

Lichen Throat - I hear it more harpsicordy at the start. So serious! I like when the rhythm starts to drive although there are times that the drums enhancing that drive would be fun. And pummelling. That said, the rhytmic release after the drive is welcome. Voice sits nicely in the mix, less bottom heavy than usual, to me.

Paco del Stinko - Sloppy all around. The strangled main riff I kinda enjoy. Someone mentioned Camper Van Beethoven in another review, and when this was done I thought that the guitars in the chorus were very Camper Van sounding, unintenionally.

Phillipso - Thick production. The guitarmonies at the start remind me of ones I used to do a long time ago. Heh. Not to imply that they are dated. This is loose, but not sloppy. Prog Crazy Horse, if there were such a thing.

Pigfarmer Jr - Good strummy singalong protest/commentary. Take it to a classroom and get the kids to sing along. With recorder in hand, of course. Melodies work, and the acoustic sounds very nice. No baloney arrangement is perfect.

Third Cat - Love the opening chord structure, moody and engaging, so serious and exhaling. The chorus is very good but production-wise, could be huger. Like, getting buried under a boulder avalanche huge. Nitpick though, as the song sways between dark and light in a very enjoyable manner.

Tim Hinkle - Yeah, my fave this week. The melody is very sing songy, almost loopy. Just getting those low notes though, eh? The bass is buzzy somehow in my left ear. If I had time I'd love to cover this. Not 'cos I could do better, but as I think it would be great fun to do. Added to a huge list that I'll probably nevere get to. ANYWAY...love this.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by neutronflow »

This is probably the most soulful use of a kazoo I have ever heard.
- Chumpy via Podcast
Thank you! I very much enjoyed listening to the entire podcast.