Is She Beautiful? How? (How Beautiful She Is Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Is She Beautiful? How? (How Beautiful She Is Reviews)

Post by erik »

I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave.

Also, reviews.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Is She Beautiful? How? (How Beautiful She Is Reviews)

Post by Adam! »

Pompeii! Hell Yeahs!

Fuck yes.
Jerry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: chonny

Post by Jerry »

Jeeziz. That's the worst art I've ever seen. For anything. If it was your intention to coerce someone into making decent art for the next song, mission accomplished. Hell, I'll let my cat give it a shot.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Jerry wrote:Jeeziz. That's the worst art I've ever seen. For anything. If it was your intention to coerce someone into making decent art for the next song, mission accomplished. Hell, I'll let my cat give it a shot.
If you go into the "art archive" from the front page, you can see all the art, in advance, that has been submitted for a given fight, and this was the only art that was submitted this time. I've been "selected" as the cover art of the week on that basis several times myself. If you have the skillz, please feel free to join the party.

In the meantime, though, this is not ArtFight. Having cover art to go with the songs is cool, and the style / quality varies depending on who has time and interest to show up. Thank you to M.T. for showing up this week.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

You know I signed up for an art account, and was all excited, but then realized that most of my ideas for album art involve finding images on the web and using them, and I don't want to bring any copyright related troubles here.
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

Post by MC Eric B »

Andre was here at midnight - I like the atmosphere/tone of the song. It just needs to be more catchy. Also, I couldn't understand the words in the chorus. Overall I like it though.

The Chadderandom Abyss - I don't like the vocals and the instruments sound all out of tune. The whole thing sounds kind of made up on the spot.

chonny - I like the drum sound, and I like how the chorus is very different from the verses. Catchy.

Clifton Lee Johnston - Pleasant, although the guitar sounds a little distant (from the microphone).

Deux Freres - The reminds me of a Broadway musical type song. I like it because it is different and creative.

Eddie Lance - I like the song a lot. The piano playing is great, and I like your voice.

Flvxxvm Florvm - Good song, although nothing about it thrilled me. I like the lyrics.

The Go Ahead And - Very catchy and well made. Also very danceable.

The Hell Yeahs - I like it.

Iqballers - The recording of the guitar is way too soft, but I like the melody of the song.

Kid Cruiser - I like how the happy /sunny music (and clapping) contrasts with the dark lyrics. Good song.

King Arthur - Good. The way your vocals mix with the music is very professional sounding.

LSK - Crazy sounding, but I like it. The problem is it needs more lyrics.

Melvin - Great song.

Napoleon's Toes - Good.

Paco del Stinko - Very creative lyrics. Most people probably won't get it though. The music is also great and I like the piano in the background. My favorite song so far this week.

The Phobias - Pleasant, but nothing about it thrilled me. I like the keyboard solo part in the middle of the song.

Pompeii - Great rock song!

Rone Rivendale - Vocals are very monotone. Music is nice but hardly ever changes. The song needs something to jump out at the listener.

Sanity - Vocals are good, and the production/mixing is good. Once the vocals stopped, the music part seemed to get more interesting. Great song.

Signboy - Good.

The Stims - Very good song.

Stu Jordan - Good song but the way it is mixed it is sometimes hard to hear the guitar clearly.

The Styop Quoons Experience - Good song.

Swilington - I like the music, but 1 minute is a long time just for an intro (no vocals). Other than that, I liked the song a lot.

The Weakest Suit - Good singing and melody. I think maybe a simple drum beat added to the song might have made it better, but still a very good song.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Rone Rivendale - Vocals are very monotone.
That's kinda funny cuz this is probably the least monotone singing I've ever done. :D
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Rone Rivendale wrote:
Rone Rivendale - Vocals are very monotone.
That's kinda funny cuz this is probably the least monotone singing I've ever done. :D
That pretty much sum's it up Rone.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
LSK
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Reaper and a $10 microphone
Submitting as: CD the Remix

Post by LSK »

The Stims: This song sounded like something I'd probably heard before. It works well musically, but it just doesn't feel remarkable.

Kid Cruiser: Good. Feels like it might be moving a bit quickly - each part turns into the next before one can get oriented - but it works.

Eddie Lance: When listening to this song, I pictured it being played from the center of a large stadium to a massive audience. It's that sort of rock. Excellent.

Napoleon's Toes: I'm not sure what most of the lyrics have to do with the song. The instrumentation caught me aback at first, but I like it.

Andre was here at midnight: Nice.

The Styop Queens Experience: I liked the atmosphere of this one. It felt suitably creepy.

Paco Del Stinko: This really impressed me. It started great, it got better, and it kept up that pace.

King Arthur: Great interpretation of the title.

Sanity: I swear, the opening drums are exactly the same as that of They Might Be Giants' "Dr. Evil". The song has a neat way of having its parts come together.

The Go Ahead And: I like how the song sets up a decent pace and keeps it up, though the chorus offers some pauses to think. Sounds like Freezepop.

More later.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

clifton
I still have ears to hear this but i cant keep listening. Get some more instruments and quit whispering.

lsk
Did you replace a snare with a pan?

Flvxxvm Florvm
I really like the music...its too bad the vocal melody sucks and you sound like a douchebag.

sanity
It's amazing how the various effects really accentuates the douchebaggery in your voice!

kid cruiser
YES! YES! You other faggots with acoustic guitars take note here. See how even without the awesome lyrics these vocals have a great melody and delivers them perfectly...or how he added extra stuff like moar vocals and claps and stuff.....that's how it's done.....do this....do it like i did my sister.

Melvin
This is excellent and you know it. The only thing i'd suggest is a couple more of those Beach Boys OO-WOO-OO-OO's added in....i love them.

go ahead and
...fuck yourself! Not really though....Nice song.

iqballers
naw dawg naw.

napoleons toes
I like this. Lyrics seem kinda forced or stupid at parts though.

pompeii
Butch's in a cat fight are never any fun. Acceptable song but nothing great.

signboy
Work a bit harder on the vocals and you'll have a good song.

deux freres
Oi its you...i cant remember your other name but i can tell that retarded womanly virginistic voice anywhere. Music isnt as good as normal. Voice is as bad as usual.

phobias
I was afraid this was gonna be crap from the intro but this is rather nice. The synth makes this song.

The Styop Quoons Experience
I sorta zoned out halfway though while trying to figure out how to convert a high definition video to standard definition and then the song was over. So ummm...needs more changes?

Rone
Seppuku, do it.

andre was here at midnight
Oh god that guitar is so repetitive....it's annoying the shit out of me. It's still doing it at the umm..chorus i guess....where you sing high...i dont know if its a chorus since that fucking guitar wont stop repeating.

the hell yeahs
This is the type of a girl for a catfight. Good stuff.

king arthur
Its good...but in that sorta way where you dont ever want to hear it again.

paco del stinko
Im guessin she's a sex doll. Nice songin thurr.

the stims
This is making me tired...literally. I only woke up a couple hours ago...im yawning and everything. Not bad. Zzz.

eddie lance
Myeah schee.

swilington
I like this but the vocals are too forward for what youre doing, needs to blend in. Dont like the addition of the new drums.

MC Eric B
fffff

chonny
Better vocals needed. Nice music.

stu jordan
I imagine this could be pretty good if the production quality didnt suck. You definitely have a better voice than most the bozo's round here.

The Chadderandom Abyss
no.

Weakest Suit
I was pasting in bbcode during most of this song so all the names could be bold and underlined....neat huh....it was far more interesting than this song.

Kid Cruiser FTW.
halen99
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Hammond, Guitar, String Cheese
Recording Method: DIGI 001 / Protools Fostex 8 Track
Submitting as: Eddie Lance

Post by halen99 »

Myeah schee.
Although I may regret this, can you please translate this to words I comprehend?
"I just wish all instrumentals had vocals."
jackfrost
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jackfrost »

what ever happened to the Lord of (Bl)Oats? there is a lack of seven mintute songs that contain six and a half minutes worth of unnecessary guitar soloing.
Francois
A New Player

Post by Francois »

PiGPEN wrote: deux freres
Oi its you...i cant remember your other name but i can tell that retarded womanly virginistic voice anywhere. Music isnt as good as normal. Voice is as bad as usual.
Interesting review since this is not our usual singer.
No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

jackfrost wrote:what ever happened to the Lord of (Bl)Oats? there is a lack of seven mintute songs that contain six and a half minutes worth of unnecessary guitar soloing.
Aw, that's kinda (randomly) mean, what with the "(Bl)" and all. He said he was having medical problems or something. And really, it's more like one to one-and-a-half mintutes.

Also,
I wonder.. how long will Kid Cruiser keep on rapin'? This song was better than the last two, but.. yeah, it's getting old, fast.
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
Stu
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Finale
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Stu Jordan, Theophilus Monk, The 'Scow

Post by Stu »

PiGPEN wrote:stu jordan
I imagine this could be pretty good if the production quality didnt suck. You definitely have a better voice than most the bozo's round here.
I am fully aware of the crappiness of my production. This song really needed drums and I tried to mix it as if there were drums, but then I never got the drums recorded. In other news, I got a real microphone today (rather than the computer mic I've been using) so maybe I'll start to sound a bit more professional, maybe not.
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

I wonder.. how long will Kid Cruiser keep on rapin'?
If there's any justice, Kid Cruiser will put this in his signature.
naw dawg naw.
I actually like this review, mainly because I'm imagining Randy Jackson saying it.
Iqballers - The recording of the guitar is way too soft, but I like the melody of the song.
True. It's my electric guitar, recorded acoustically through my laptop mic. But thanks about the melody, I wouldn't have sent this in with such low recording quality if I didn't think the rest made it worth it. And, honestly, I kind of like the texture the hum adds.
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

Post by MC Eric B »

I appreciate the fact that you posted reviews, since many people don't bother to, but it would be much more helpful if when you don't like a song, you could write why you don't like it. That way I can try to improve things for my next song.
PiGPEN wrote: MC Eric B
fffff
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

halen99 wrote:
Myeah schee.
Although I may regret this, can you please translate this to words I comprehend?
A phrase by actor Edward G. Robinson when he played roles as a gangster. The phrase was later popularized by Looney Tunes parodies of him.
I was basically making fun of the way you talked in your Noir themed song.
MCEricB wrote:I appreciate the fact that you posted reviews, since many people don't bother to, but it would be much more helpful if when you don't like a song, you could write why you don't like it. That way I can try to improve things for my next song.
fffff is probably the worst review anyone can get from me. It means not only did it suck but that it sucked overwhelmingly and wholly on such a level that i didnt feel it was worth words explaining how much it sucked.

...Does that help?
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

Post by MC Eric B »

PiGPEN wrote: fffff is probably the worst review anyone can get from me. It means not only did it suck but that it sucked overwhelmingly and wholly on such a level that i didnt feel it was worth words explaining how much it sucked.
...Does that help?
Yes, at least now I know what you meant.
Jerry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: chonny

Post by Jerry »

This just in...
Sanity: I give you props for the pensive mood of this piece. The keyboard tone is nice and lush. The tune's alright too. Like many of us here, your vocal tone is a bit weak. It's also a little slight in the lyrics department, but I enjoyed listening to your song.
Andrewashereatmidnight: Very nice melody, how it has this minor tonality to it. I like this tune quite alot, though the guitar is really sloppy time-wise. A bit 'o' percussion would be welcome, if only a shaker or tambourine even.
MCEricB: I appreciate the heart-on-sleeve lyrix. Musically it's a bit like an outtake from Like A Virgin. Not such a bad thing, but uh, that was twenty four years ago.
King Arthur: Good concept. Truly wacky and suitable music, quite Zappa-esque at times. Amid the usual pop tunes, this stands out as pretty unique.
The Phobias: Relying so much on vocal harmonies means you really gotta nail them. There are a few shaky parts here and there. Nicely conceived song with well placed dynamic shifts. I enjoyed this.
Rone Rivendale: Uh, it's a bit like a couple different radios going, little connection between the vocal and backing tracks. Disturbing, and I guess that was the point.
The Weakest Suit: This is okay. It's okay.
Signboy: Musically awesome. Lyrically not happening for me. I like the Zappalike beginning and middle bit. I'm not digging the vocal melody.
The Chadderandom Abyss: What does this name mean? This sounds pretty crappy. Sorry.
The Styop Quoons Experience: The melodies are not very interesting. I mean, you've put some effort into the sonics and all, but the song itself is kinda weak.
Napoleon's Toes: Geez, it's keyboard week. I liked this tune alot. The lyrics are very colourful. Very good.
The Go Ahead And: It's also eighties week, I guess. That must be some watch. You're too sexy for this watch. Really fun tune. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Deux Freres: Ce musique est tres formidable. I'm curious how much is done with acoustic instruments (like the kettle drum, f'rinstance). You got a real renaissancy thing going. Excellent.
Paco Del Stinko: Well at least someone came through with a country tune. Nice pedal steel lix! Is this about Kokoschka's doll? Jus curious. Fun to hear.
Eddie Lance: Nice vibe, well played. Is that an acoustic piano? Sounds great.
Swilington: Nice intimate feel, and the lyrics fit the mood well. The 'drums' aren't doing you any favours, but all in all, a fine dreary, dreamy piece. Liked it.
Fluxxum Forum: There's some cool guitar in here, but the melody's not knocking me out. It's too simplistic and not as adventurous as the guitar. Haven't heard 'Daisy Dukes' in a while!
LSK: You kids knock it off down there! I'll tell your father!
The Stims: 'Pushing through the Market Square..." You know that tune? There's alot I like about this tune- the Lennonesque vocal quality, some of the melody. It's kinda squandered on weak lyrics and a tempo that kinda drags.
The Iqballers: I won't comment on the recording quality. The song itself doesn't sound very developed, though. An interesting first draught, but incomplete to my ears.
Pompeii: Too bad the vocal copies the guitar riff. You could have been more inventive with the melody. Meh.
The Hell Yeahs: Cool guitar solo. Lotsa conviction in the singing helps pull this off. Fun.
Clifton Lee Johnson: Pretty song. My wife would love this. I won't be playing this for my wife, you bastard. Really sweet.
Stu Jordan: Good song, Stu. Would it kill you to get some percussion? Bang a pot. Slam a door. Squeeze a cat. Get something to support the rhythm, man. And the fuzz sounds a bit cheezy. There's a nice song in there.
Melvin: Very pleasant song, would be good for a romantic comedy with the credits rolling. Not that I watch romantic comedies. Cause I don't. Ever. Nice tune.
I'm gonna go with Deux Freres this week. Alot of good ones though.
Pierre
A New Player

Post by Pierre »

Jerry wrote: Deux Freres: Ce musique est tres formidable. I'm curious how much is done with acoustic instruments (like the kettle drum, f'rinstance). You got a real renaissancy thing going. Excellent.
The only instruments that aren't real are the tympani and cymbal crash in the middle of the song. The tympani roll is from a Roland Orchestral Rhythm soundfont.

Thank you for the kind words.
Chadderandom
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: The Chadderandom Abyss

Post by Chadderandom »

MC Eric B wrote:The Chadderandom Abyss - I don't like the vocals and the instruments sound all out of tune. The whole thing sounds kind of made up on the spot.
Thats kind of true and kind of my schtick but this song just seems like it'd be more... acceptable than what I would normally make. Or something. I don't know. I pretty much made it as soon as the challenge was posted and it felt too easy and normal and I kept listening to it the whole week trying to figure out if it was any good or if I should add something to it or re-record it entirely but it just didn't feel like me, so I couldn't really do anything with it.

I don't normally submit because its more of a personal challenge to myself and I doubt what I normally do would go over well here but this time was different because I guess I needed validation but apparently this song is just as horrible (to other people) as everything else I make. Which might be validation itself in some way (in my delusional mind).
Jerry wrote:The Chadderandom Abyss: What does this name mean?
My name is Chad and I randomly throw sounds into a giant bottomless hole? I am a giant bottomless hole of random sound being thrown out of it? Something along those lines, I guess.