Reviewing Your New Dress - turn around once.

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Reviewing Your New Dress - turn around once.

Post by Spud »

Do I have to do everything around here?
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: Reviewing Your New Dress - turn around once.

Post by nyjm »

Spud wrote:Do I have to do everything around here?
Well, we like it that way. You're just so... spudly.

*ducks*

Awesome turn around time! On Turkey Day and everything! Reviews forthcoming.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

First off, I think you're all sex maniacs. But I'm good with that.

For this fight, I listened once, then I listened again later, then I listened one time again even later and wrote the reviews. I did not replay each song five or six times trying to think of really useful things to say. That worked out much better for me. I can go to bed at a decent hour.

I tend to aim my votes at songs that create an effect through composition and arrangement, regardless of production quality.

Yeah, yeah, shut up, James, get on with it.

--------------------------------------------------

Bars and Tone -- Nicely absurd, lots of fun. Greate announcer voices. I like the way the instruments stomp on one another in the audio space to create a new kind of percussion. Vote.

Berkeley Social Scene - Bizarre limping drums -- interesting. Can't make out the words. The musical composition is OK, nothing special. Arrangement is a little busy. Goes on a bit long.

cain -- good tense singing. Unusual arrangement, chordless and syncopated, with timely changes in the texture. The arrangement seems to come to life in the quiet parts.

Chopped Liver Meat God -- Way too long. Lots of different phases, but still way too long. Sounds like you're making it up as you go. The lyrics are crude without art or cleverness to justify it.

The Deck -- Imaginative rhythmic and harmonic elements and an understated, unified treatment lend a certain contemplative quality. I don't know what the music has to do with the lyrics, but I'll give it a vote.

Don't Tell Betsy -- Appealingly unpretentious, nice changes, tight presentation. I'd prefer something more adventurous, but for what it is I could possibly vote.

efemjay -- Vote for sure, on the strength of the lyrics alone. They have range and consistency and they tell a story. Delivery is good, music does the trick, although the melody of the chorus feels strangely ill-defined.

A Far off Land -- Points for the temerity to use I VI IV V. Nice instrumental textures. Singing is pleasant but unmoving. Music seems too mellow for a line like "locked in my car."

Flvxxmm Florvm -- OK, but nothing remarkable.

godversussatan -- Sounds like the end of a really bad New Year's Party.

Gooey Caramel Centaur -- Your sound is coming along. I think for a song like this your instruments need a little more presence -- maybe higher in the mix or thickened up with a small amount of compression. Musically I like that you are not doing anything dead obvious -- there is unexpectedness in your changes. The lyrics are good but the music doesn't make me feel the anguish -- it's more like death-metal macho, or would be with more intensity in the production.

Heuristics Inc. -- An original angle, with an appropriately robotic treatment in the voice and random synth. The strings provide a faceless and ominous pad. The doo-doo-doos feel like filler though, and the song is sort of static from beginning to end -- it doesn't transform or grow.

James Owens -- My computer whirred and my mic transformer hummed and the central heating kept going on, none of which I'd have noticed for a direct-in or synth recording. I ended up patching some long cords together and decamping to the next room with the mic and headphones, and turning off the furnace. Then my fingers got cold and wouldn't work properly. But I found that if you rotate the transformer just so, the hum goes away.

Johnny Cashpoint -- Melodic and interesting, and the ukeleles give it an unusual colour. Philosophical and somehow touching lyrics. Vote.

Kasper -- The rhythmic breaks and instrumental changes help, but it really needs a break from the repeated pattern.

Lonbobby -- Pretty song, lovely harmonies, a well-realized futuristic sound throughout. Very effective breaks into different sonic qualities. A little long, but Vote. One of my favourites for this fight.

MENBAH -- The singing is excellent; the instrumental work is a little weak in places. The composition is very convincing. Nice tortured solo -- what the hell is that thing? Anyway, I'm persuaded; in a fuller production, my friends from the 70's would have loved it. Vote.

noah mclaughlin -- Heavy-handed recording. Kind of a generic feel, nothing unusual or striking about it.

Paco del Stinko -- Admirable production values as always, but not one of your best songs. Some of it sounds a bit like another one. I like the slightly Spanish bit around the 2-min mark. Lyrics are delightfully eccentric.

Pathetic Wannabees -- I have jam tapes that sound like this. The band had had a few beers. Gotta say, it was fun.

THornberry -- A rare piano-based track. You don't get piano and harmonica a lot - refreshing. Real upright piano too, if I'm not mistaken. There's good drama in this. I like most of the vocal harmonies -- the 2nd interval has a harsh urgency that doesn't seem to match the rest of the mood. Singing is well done. Vote.

The Weakest Suit -- Nice recording. The thin part at the beginning is deceptive -- not necessarily in a good way. An OK song, a bit repetitive, nothing too exciting.
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

AJOwens wrote: Chopped Liver Meat God -- Way too long. Lots of different phases, but still way too long. Sounds like you're making it up as you go. The lyrics are crude without art or cleverness to justify it.
You know this was a lyric burgle, right?

I'm actually going to be a good citizen and review this week. Watch this space!
AJOwens
Panama

Post by AJOwens »

Uh, no. I'm not even sure I know what a lyric burgle is. I did notice that the word figured in more than one song, for some reason. So if it was all for some fun that I missed, kindly ignore my comment! I am obtuse by times.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

AJOwens wrote:Uh, no. I'm not even sure I know what a lyric burgle is. I did notice that the word figured in more than one song, for some reason. So if it was all for some fun that I missed, kindly ignore my comment! I am obtuse by times.
I don't mind being burgled, but being characterized as crude and without art or cleverness.. ouch. I noticed you didn't say the same thing in your review of the actual Kasper song from which the lyrics were burgled... Context is everything, I guess. :-)
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
AJOwens
Panama

Post by AJOwens »

Mike Lamb wrote:
I don't mind being burgled, but being characterized as crude and without art or cleverness.. ouch. I noticed you didn't say the same thing in your review of the actual Kasper song from which the lyrics were burgled... Context is everything, I guess.
Context, repetition, and emphasis.

It's the FLVXXVM FLORVM burgle, not the Kasper burgle, that bothered me. But by minute five I was kind of waiting for it to end, so maybe I was getting grumpy.

Edit No. 7 -- I don't mean all the lyrics, just a particular line that took over the Chopped Liver Meat God rendition.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

this is epic
"81 songs and 569 posts in 4 months. You don't mess around when it comes to messing around." - fluffy
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

march of the oats
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Hey I made a video for this one:

http://www.vimeo.com/7882879

I hope to do reviews soon, I'm enjoying this fight!

You Tube link to follow.

Here's the You Tube Link , but it sounds and looks horrible, I highly recommend the Vimeo version.

http://www.youtube.com/user/glenartrock
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Kasper - Rife with emosity.
:P
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

Love the video, Glen!
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
hewins
A New Player
Instruments: bass, guitar, percussion, keyboards
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Submitting as: The Deck

Post by hewins »

Glenn, I like the video too! You make me want to get the drums going in my space!
hewins
A New Player
Instruments: bass, guitar, percussion, keyboards
Submitting as: The Deck

Post by hewins »

Am I hearing things or are there 2 songs with the lyric "You and your new dress can burn in hell"?

Kasper and (I forgot who else)

Interesting, to say the least.
AJOwens
Panama

Post by AJOwens »

hewins asked,
Am I hearing things or are there 2 songs with the lyric "You and your new dress can burn in hell"?
No, you are not hearing things. Apparently this is called a "lyric burgle" (see the earlier posts). I'm not sure if it's good or bad or what. Apparently it just happens sometimes.

[EDIT] There's a forum called "Ye Olde Lyric Archive" where people sometimes post the lyrics.

By the way, is anybody else going to review the songs for this fight?
jackfrost
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jackfrost »

hewins wrote:Am I hearing things or are there 2 songs with the lyric "You and your new dress can burn in hell"?
it's called the i'm-too-lazy-to-write-anything-original-so-i'll-just-steal-other-people's-work-and-add-some-garbled-music-to-it syndrome. the only cure seems to be waiting to publish your lyrics until after the fight deadline. personally, i find that this kind of thing always makes me hate both versions. this fight is no exception. votes to all but the three songs involved.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

AJOwens wrote:By the way, is anybody else going to review the songs for this fight?
I am, but later versus sooner. Sorry.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

re: burglary

See the lyrics thread and you will find that the song in question is made of lyrics from other songs that were posted before the deadline.

I personally find the concept fascinating. What motivates the burglar? An attempt at humor? He liked the other song(s) so much he wanted to do something with them? Just the challenge of interpreting someone else's lyrics in your own way without hearing the original song?

I don't mind being burgled- in fact I think it's interesting to see what sounds your lyrics inspire in someone else- but it would be nice if the burglar would credit his sources in the prefight thread.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

jackfrost wrote:personally, i find that this kind of thing always makes me hate both versions. this fight is no exception. votes to all but the three songs involved.
You're entitled to cast your votes however you want, but not voting for a song simply because it was the victim of a burglary? Wow..
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

jackfrost - proud dickbag since 2007
"81 songs and 569 posts in 4 months. You don't mess around when it comes to messing around." - fluffy
jackfrost
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jackfrost »

this is epic
efemjay
A New Player
Instruments: FL Studio
Submitting as: efemjay

Post by efemjay »

How about some reviews in the review thread? 8)

A Far Off Land: This is a really hauntingly beautiful arrangement and a great melody. It reminds me of the better stuff by Coldplay. I like the singer's voice, too. The drums are a problem. The bass drum is too heavy; it sounds like a TR-808, and doesn't fit the mood of the song. The drumming/drum programming is altogether too simple. There are also no major change-ups in the song. I really liked everything about it except the drums, so I wish it were fleshed out and extended beyond 1:46.

The Weakest Suit: It sounds like you are describing that infamous green dress J-Lo wore to some awards show a few years back. That's good imagery! I like the whole vibe and the "I'm too straight to care" about your new dress line. The lyrics were very enjoyable. I liked the change-up. The sound is a little tinny, but from a songwriting perspective, this was a good one.

Paco del Stinko: This is a great song. I loved everything about it and have no constructive criticism to offer. I liked the nerdy tone of the vocals. This isn't like other songs I've heard from you and, surprisingly, that's a good thing.

MENBAH!: Maybe it's just me but everything seemed a little off-time. The drums were kind of weak. This isn't like the other stuff I've heard from you, which I've liked a lot more. Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I think you were trying something here that just didn't work for me, but maybe others will like it.

Lonbobby: At first, this sounds like a strange mix of "Night at the Roxbury" and acoustic instruments. Then the "Roxbury" flavor takes over more. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. I think the autotune (if that's what that was) was used to good effect, even if it is overdone nowadays. You threw a lot of variety in here; some of which worked for me, other parts didn't. My main criticism is that the song didn't seem to have a lot to do with the title.

Johnny Cashpoint: This is a different take -- the "meaningless" new dress. The ukulele and synthy sounds are a strange combination that works. This is my favorite of the 3 or 4 I've heard from you.

Berkeley Social Scene: I like the change-ups. The song has an interesting structure. That, combined with the harmonies on the chorus, remind me of something from Brian Wilson, a little. Negative: I don't like these drums.

James Owens: You have a very interesting and unique voice. You sort of remind me of Jim Croce crossed with Cat Stevens. Your lyrics are very poetic, the best of the bunch. This song is very moving and well done. I like the "close your eyes, you're there again" (Paris) line a lot. Very much different from the approach almost everyone else chose to take with this title.

Cain: I'm sure it's unintentional, but the melody is quite reminiscent of Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" -- listen. Your vocal style sounds metal, so it sounds like this song should have harder guitars. The bassline is buried in the mix. I think this song would sound better if it rocked harder. It sounds like it wants to be a metal song more than whatever it is. I like the sitar on the bridge and the drum change-up mid-way through the second verse. I don't like the bass drum -- again, it sounds like an 808 and doesn't fit the mood of the song.

Heuristics: I like the anti-conformist theme and the way it was conveyed (via memo). I think the production is too sparse. The strings are the main driver; the drums are weak. I like all the synthy and spacey sounds, but I think this could be filled out for a better effect. I like the lyrics, concept, and music; it just needs more.

Kasper: The lyrics are the highlight of this song -- which became all the more obvious when I realized they were stolen by another artist. The "Without me..." concept was fresh and well done. On the negative side, I thought the cool grungy sounding guitar got a little repetitive, the drums were too light in the mix, and the singer was a little too reserved sounding. Back to positive: I loved when the organ came in around the 1:00 mark, and then the funky synthy sounds. It was an interesting contrast that worked: grunge-style guitar along with Roger Troutman-like funk. Final negative: the fade-out was lame. The song deserved a better ending.

Pathetic Wannabes: You were the first of two entries I listened to that used the cross-dressing theme, so lucky for you, it was funnier to me. You're clearly going for an odd, disjointed sound, and you get it. This is vintage punk, but I don't like the steel drumish thing you got going with it -- it doesn't work for me. Also, the vocals don't really stand up to the music, imo.

Chopped Liver Meat God: I'll ignore the controversial burgling issue here.On the positive, the guitar and bass sound good during the song's first section. But in general, once the song speeds up at around the 1:00 mark, it began to sound like a hot mess to me. The change-up at 5:25 or so makes the song sound like Michael Jackson's Theme from Free Willy ("Will You Be There?"). The build-up to that point was kind of messy, too, I thought. And 7:49? I listened the whole time, but most people won't. That's way too long for this contest, in my opinion.

Thornberry: I liked your last song a lot, but this one not so much. I like the fact that you went with the piano and harmonica, guaranteeing a unique sound among the other contenders. I don't like the dynamics, though, when the piano gets louder. I like songs with dynamic range, but this one seems too much. I don't know what else to say; this song just didn't move me, personally. It would sound better with some drums, too.

Flvxxvm Florvm: Very different from your last entry, and in a good way. Similar take to Johnny Cashpoint, but still stands out among the rest of the songs ("Nobody's gonna give a shit about your new dress"). I liked the lyrics a lot, "You'll be dead for 50 million years.. when the sun is vaporized," etc. On the negative side, I thought the song lacked dynamic variance and variance in general. It had a Ramones-ish feeling to it.

Don't Tell Betsy: I liked the lyrics, which were a different take. But since you were the winner last time, I won't sugar-coat it: I thought this was pretty lackluster. The vocals were boring and the music was not that thrilling. Sorry.

Gooey Caramel Centaur: Sounds like a Rocky theme build-up with the start. The drums remind me of the Theme from Shaft. I like the construction of the song. I'm not sure the drums are always perfectly in time, though, and the recording could be a lot better. The vocals are mixed too loud. In terms of composition, the song is very good, though. I like the changes in tempo. I assume you're using live drums, and if not, you've got a live-drum sound. All in all, a good song but not-so-good execution.

Noah McLaughlin: The production is very full, maybe a little bit too much. It gets a little messy, at least to my ears. Also, it sounds like the dynamics are forced. It sounds like you didn't record the dynamic variance, but mixed it in later. That's fine, if the listener can't tell... but either I can, or it sounds like it to me (or I'm just wrong; your pick). Your vocals fit the song well, but I think everything would sound better if it were scaled back a bit. FWIW.

Bars and Tones: Your new dress is smoking weeds? It likes House of Pain and has poop for brains? Not sure if this is silly-fun or just stupid. The song has a novelty sound to it. Unfortunately, it's the second cross-dressing themed one, so it was less funny (not your fault) when I heard it. Also, the second to use "crumpled on the floor" so that had less impact too. Not your fault. Positive side: I like the organ.

The Deck: This one is well done. The acoustic guitar is well played AND well-recorded. The singing is superb. I like the "put it on" refrain, and then finally, "take it off." Technically excellent song, but on the downside, not terribly exciting.

Godversussatan: Is that a kazoo? The main rhythm sounds polka-ish. It also reminds me of "Get Out My Life Woman," by either Allen Touissant or Solomon Burke, whichever one Ice Cube sampled on "Now I Gotta Wet Ya." That's a cool sound I'd like to rap over. In all, this song sounds like the score to an underground horror movie from the 70s. Take that as a compliment or a diss, your choice. The tones are a little harsh and tinny, though that might be intentional. The end is strangely abrupt.