The lustre passes muster (Jewel of India reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Re: The lustre passes muster (Jewel of India reviews)

Post by Steve Durand »

king_arthur wrote:I
King Arthur (me)

Well, I made another King Arthur song... sorry, this is
what I do...

That's a good thing. Don't apologize.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

The Orange Collective at work
Attachments
Irwin, Fluffy, teh back of MikeLamb, Alex
Irwin, Fluffy, teh back of MikeLamb, Alex
orangecollective3.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Alex playing the Paco 12, paparazzi, Mikelamb, Irwin
Alex playing the Paco 12, paparazzi, Mikelamb, Irwin
orangecollective2.jpg (88.92 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
MikeLamb, Irwin, The Back of Alex, Fluffy
MikeLamb, Irwin, The Back of Alex, Fluffy
Orangecollective1.jpg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Last edited by Ross on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Holy Nevada, Batman!

I guess I should get around to finding a decent 10-minute segment of the video to post to YouTube.
jeremydeanband
A New Player
Instruments: guitar/vocal
Recording Method: alesis multimix 16 2.0 cubase le4
Submitting as: Jeremy Dean

Post by jeremydeanband »

James Owens
The more I listened the more I liked the song. Great song direction. It seemed to fit well with your voice. vote

Lml
Way to quiet, you cant really hear the track. But what I could hear, I liked. It sounds like it is a good song, I just cant really enjoy it because I cant really hear it.

Stucco lobster breadbox
i don’t reall y have an opinion on this song, exept that I couldn’t wait for it to be over.
Sorry.

Flvxxvm florvm
I liked the song direction, cool solo! I couldn’t get into the vocal, was it out of your range? Not sure whats up with the house of the rising sun rip?

Longfellow street
Awesome vocal! Really! Pleasant listening. vote

King aurther
Definetly 80’s, nothing wrong with that though. I like the chorus, its catchy. vote

Dan the man band
Bangin my head ya! Iron maideny. Im back at the civic center.
Begining of solo sounds like it’s been used before, but it does fit the song well.vote

Slapdash
Creative beat, and I like the backing vocals. I don’t like the car horn sound effects. Definetly interesting though.

Steve Durand
Not sure about the vocal, but I think I do understand were you tried to go with it.

Torrentz
Sprite commercial? Sunny beach with lots of bikinis. Guy with full curly hair jumping around showing people his new bottle of soda and showing them how good it makes him feel. Then it turns into a story but I cant really make out everything you are saying because the music is louder than the vocal. Not a bad song though.

Young stroke aka young muscle
Smiled when I heard this. Not really into rap but the song was very creative. Liked the chorus part. vote

The orange collective
Out of tune giuitar? Kind of herts. But I really like the song. I would listen to it a lot if the guitar was tuned. Good vocal, and backing vocals. Beatley, catchy and interesting to listen to. Vote!
jeremydeanband
A New Player
Instruments: guitar/vocal
Recording Method: alesis multimix 16 2.0 cubase le4
Submitting as: Jeremy Dean

Post by jeremydeanband »

i have to add thats friggen awsome to hear so many different views of one title every week.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

jeremydeanband wrote:i have to add thats friggen awsome to hear so many different views of one title every week.
And it is also awesome to receive reviews! Thank you, sir!

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Post by bdog5778 »

Lml
Way to quiet, you cant really hear the track. But what I could hear, I liked. It sounds like it is a good song, I just cant really enjoy it because I cant really hear it.
Ya know, I posted an earlier comment with a louder mix of this song attached.
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Epiphone Electric Guitar, Ibanez Acoustic/Electric, Casio/Yamaha Electric piano, Yamaha DD-65 Drums
Recording Method: Garage Band, Blue Snowball, Griffin Line In Cable, hopes and dreams
Submitting as: LML

Post by LML »

I'm glad you liked what you heard; I could hear my song on my laptop headphones when I turned the volume midway on itunes, I guess I just totally overlooked that quietness. I got instructions on how to adjust it right though, so next time I won't have those problems. I swear, added with the fact that I almost always put extra silence on the end of my songs, I'm an a 10 year amateur!
LML: As heard on Guantanamo Bay Radio.
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Epiphone Electric Guitar, Ibanez Acoustic/Electric, Casio/Yamaha Electric piano, Yamaha DD-65 Drums
Recording Method: Garage Band, Blue Snowball, Griffin Line In Cable, hopes and dreams

Post by LML »

I'm glad you liked what you heard; I could hear my song on my laptop headphones when I turned the volume midway on itunes, I guess I just totally overlooked that quietness. I got instructions on how to adjust it right though, so next time I won't have those problems. I swear, added with the fact that I almost always put extra silence on the end of my songs, I've been an amateur on this site for almost 5 years now!
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LML »

LML - I was able to crank this enough to appreciate it. As a solo-performer act, it might need something richer on the guitar, but as a song it carries a fine tension and interest. The singing also is very good, with a gritty urgency. If I have a quibble, it would be as an accent snob: the pronunciation of "can't" made me think of Jean Hagen's delivery as Lina Lamont in Singin' in the Rain. My bad for watching too many old movies.
You do realize I'm Texan, right? That's my accent. lol
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Is there an echo in here?
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LML »

Fuck, that's Google chrome for you. How do you delete this shit again?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Okay finally I am getting around to reviewing here, because I don't feel like actually working right now.

Dan the Man Band: I wouldn't have expected a standard 4/4 rock song for this title. Reminds me too much of 80s butt-rock metal though. Drum machine drums are boring and obnoxious, and I don't care for the ultra-layered echo effect on key words in the vocals. The song never really went anywhere, either.

Flxxvm Florvm: This just kind of sounds like a lot of noodling to me. Then it goes into House of the Rising Sun and I think you're just screwing with us.

James Owens: Scotland meets India? Interesting musical idea. The mix/EQ are way off (the vocals are way high and bassy/muddy), but I can look past that. The song's a bit short and doesn't feel very satisfying to me though. It seems like a good start to something better.

King Arthur: Never apologize for your music. I know I've given you a lot of crap for your style in the past but it actually works pretty well much of the time, and this is one of those times. Synth sitars never work, though - you might be better off trying to do something like a weird sculptured/warped reverb on a guitar (ideally a twelve-string). The story you tell is both believable and depressing. vote

LML: Listening to the amplified version bdog posted earlier. Nice chord progression, and it's interesting to hear what sounds like a nylon-string guitar here since that's not a sound we get very often here, but the playing is very mechanical and plodding. The song doesn't really grab me so much, but it does sound like the better sort of thing that one would hear at a good open mic.

Longfellow Street: A nice haunting sound, actually using what sounds like a real sitar (I don't know if it is or not but it doesn't really matter as long as it sounds right). I like these more sedate, introspective songs, and this wouldn't be too out of place in an Indian restaurant. vote

Slapdash: I love the abstract weird sound you're going for here. You definitely pull it off. Mix is a little muddy but this is Song Fight, not Production Fight. vote

Steve Durand: It ruins things for me that I recognize Tomorrow Never Knows immediately, and this just kind of seems a bit doofy. I'm guessing you had a lot of fun working on this because it shows, but it's not the sort of thing I'd want to listen to outside of a Song Fight context.

Stucco Lobster Breadbox: I seem to recall every single one of your songs that I've heard sounding exactly like this. I guess that's your thing? Templates (aka drew) knew when to end the joke.

The Orange Collective: I already posted stuff about the production at great length earlier so here's a review of the song itself. The lyrics just plain grab me, and not just because I was there for their writing. I love all the stuff that was added after the initial session - the backup vocals, the shaker, the dulcimer (Ross had practiced it with us but opted to overdub it later), and so on. I think my only complaint (which is selfish) is that the cello is mixed way too low, especially in light of Seamus saying how it "totally made the song" during our rehearsal. But it still comes out really well, and I've had it stuck in my head pretty regularly for the last couple weeks. vote of course.

Torrentz: This is pretty fun. As we all know I'm not a fan of amateur-hour rap, but this isn't amateur-hour. Great flow and rhythm, words that are actually worth listening to, fun production and layered musical backing, and it doesn't just fall into various rap cliches. I would totally buy an album of stuff like this. I don't really care for the affected Indian caricature toward the end, though. vote and predicted win.

Young Stroke: This is exactly what I was talking about with the kinds of rap I don't like, except you at least know how to mix. But this is Song Fight, not Production Fight.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

LML wrote:Fuck, that's Google chrome for you. How do you delete this shit again?
I use Chrome and have never had any problems like that. Are you double-clicking the "submit" button or something?

When you have the last message in a thread there's an X button at the very bottom of the post that you can use to delete it; otherwise all you can really do is edit the redundant posts and blank them out (or ask an admin nicely).
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

fluffy wrote: It ruins things for me that I recognize Tomorrow Never Knows immediately,
that would be "Love You To." but you got the right album.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Ross wrote:
fluffy wrote: It ruins things for me that I recognize Tomorrow Never Knows immediately,
that would be "Love You To." but you got the right album.
Oh, heh, it's been a while since I've listened to the Beatles obsessively.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

fluffy wrote:Okay finally I am getting around to reviewing here, because I don't feel like actually working right now.
Longfellow Street: A nice haunting sound, actually using what sounds like a real sitar (I don't know if it is or not but it doesn't really matter as long as it sounds right). I like these more sedate, introspective songs, and this wouldn't be too out of place in an Indian restaurant. vote
It's a real sitar -- lots of details in the prefight thread.
James Owens: Scotland meets India? Interesting musical idea. The mix/EQ are way off (the vocals are way high and bassy/muddy), but I can look past that. The song's a bit short and doesn't feel very satisfying to me though. It seems like a good start to something better.
You're bang on about the engineering. And the song is too short -- partly because I couldn't fake the raga version of the bridge that I had in mind, and partly because my wife ran out of patience. Glad you liked the concept -- thanks for the review!
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

fluffy wrote:the dulcimer (Ross had practiced it with us but opted to overdub it later)
great description of the session. I only overdubbed because we couldn't get all the right inputs going and my channel was super noisy. But I also think the energy of the room is still present.