Plug-in idea for remote DAW listening

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Plug-in idea for remote DAW listening

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Hey, does this exist?

I was on a bike ride the other day and endlessly dissecting my half finished piano piece in my head, and came up with an idea. I want there to be a way to listen to my piece from my smartphone, even though it is still in progress. If I've ever wanted to hear a project in progress in the past, the only option I know of has been to bounce it to audio, save it as a wav and put on my iPod. I'm envisioning perhaps a plug-in to my DAW, combined with a phone app, which would allow me to essentially hit Play on my currently open project from my phone and listen remotely. I'm not talking about a lot of DAW functionality at all - just Play, Stop, and maybe start and stop locations and tempo. To keep it simple, the project would have to already be open on the host pc. I'm thinking the plug-in would simply capture the audio output and stream it to the phone. Does anyone familiar with this technology have an opinion on the feasibility of this? Or maybe something like it already exists?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Plug-in idea for remote DAW listening

Post by ken »

This reminds me of my idea to have an app that works as a headphone distribution system over wifi. Just let each band member download a free app that maybe has an 8 channel mixer and you can stream their playback and let them each control their own headphone mix. Sort of a similar idea to yours really.

Cubase has an app that lets you control the transport controls with your phone and a a few other functions I think. It works via the phone and the computer being on the same wifi network. I am curious if it is more complicated to stream something over a wireless network instead, which I think is what you are asking for. You might be better off having some kind of DAW functionality that constantly creates its own rough mixes and stores them online temporarily for review.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Plug-in idea for remote DAW listening

Post by roymond »

Logic has a free iPad remote controller app which is awesome. Like Cubase I believe you need to be on the same wifi network, but there are ways around that. I have a feeling your request, Jim, is going to be realized more broadly now that DAWs and devices are becoming (somewhat) standardized in their communications protocols.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face