Comics (but not manga)

Because some of us can read.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Comics (but not manga)

Post by the Jazz »

I would say, Alan Moore's Watchmen, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns/Strikes Again are the best comics I have ever come across. Including the world of manga, but that's a whole other discussion.

First off, Batman is without a doubt the all time greatest character ever created by American comics. And Frank Miller's presentation of an older Batman coming out of retirement has more depth than any other I've seen. For those who don't know Miller's work, be warned that Returns is very different from Strikes Again, and they aren't exactly an easy read. If you are expecting something at all like mainstream Marvel or DC comics you will find yourself very confused. And many people love Returns and hate Strikes Again, or vice versa. I like em both.

Watchmen was very compelling, although perhaps not the best in any one area. But very good all around for an end result that I like a lot - for one thing, the art is a lot like the style that I grew up on. Comics nowadays are too shiny, or too busy, or too stylized for my tastes. I particularly liked the character Rorschach; the concept of his "power" is very original and Moore seemed to write a lot more depth into this character than many of the others.

Sandman I actually haven't gotten through with, I've read I think about 5 of the 10 volumes. The writing is so good that the constantly changing art doesn't bug me. I don't know what I can say about Sandman really except that it's not like anything else I have read, and worth checking out.
Let cake eat them.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Wait till you finish Sandman. It'll be best on your list, easy.

Add to that Alan Moore's "From Hell," Akira (mostly for the art), Powers (anything Bendis puts his heart into, really), and of course, Chris Claremon era X-Men (not recent era tho).

Haha, you thought I forgot about Crumb, didn't you? No way. "Mr. Natural does the dishes" is the best page in any comic ever.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I've been wanting to get my hands on Sandman, but the oppurtunity's never come up. Oh, how sad it is to live somewhere with no comic book stores. (Except for the freaky one in KOP mall with the freaky guy with the freaky leering.)
Songfighter since back in the day.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

c hack wrote:Add to that Alan Moore's "From Hell," Akira (mostly for the art)
I've avoided "From Hell" because it was made into a movie, when really I should just be avoiding the movie because it was made from a comic. But I am twisted like that. And you can't compare this stuff with Akira, it's apples and oranges, that's why I'm saying, best comics other than manga. And I forgot to at least mention Concrete, which may not be the greatest comic ever but is a good read all the same.

I am lucky enough not only to live near many comic book stores, but also near several libraries which have nice (if not very large) catalogs of comics and manga. I try not to buy the stuff if I don't have to, unless it's great.

Oh oh oh I totally forgot Milk & Cheese!!! (teh RAWK)
Let cake eat them.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

comics i enjoy:
watchmen
from hell
v for vendetta
like a velvet glove cast in iron
the invisibles
the filth
arkham asylum
preacher
hellblazer
transmetropolitan
planetary
the punisher (now that garth ennis writes it)

and probably some more that i'm forgetting. i'm not a big neil gaiman fan at all, although mr. punch was pretty good.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Jute-
Do you have, or have you heard the "Velvet Glove Cast In Iron" soundtrack by Victor Banana?

It is one of the best albums in the world, ever, and I haven't had it for a very, very long time.

Your mention of this awesome storyline has pushed me over the edge of unrelenting want.

Oof.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

phil,

i have not heard it, but i have heard of it. it sounds very interesting. what's it like?
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Ogreasy!
A New Player

Post by Ogreasy! »

Okay, I've always wanted to read "The Watchmen" but I never figured out how to get a hold of it.
Is it something you could find under the Graphic Novels section at Borders? Or would I have to go to a Comic Shop?
Most of them aren't very pleasant places around here(are any?) and I'm afraid of them. OR whats a good place to order "The Watchmen" off the internet?

Some cool Graphic Novels I know are:
Maus
Akira
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Mr. Gyte-

It's kinda beatnik-y, a lot of jazz chords and odd times, and very much a soundtrack, musically. It's not instrumental, however, and the lyrics very much tell the story of the story, uh, kind of. It's an excellent companion piece, fer sure.

Hmm.. It's soft, but also, dynamic.

It's like a velvet gl... oh... right.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Alan Moore's "V for Vendetta" rocks the house.

And there was a title by the name of "Stray Toasters" a ways back that was truly out there. Can't remember who it was by, or anything else, alas.

and I'm not going to open up the box o' comics to find out, that just ain't safe... I'd read every last one of them in there, again. And it's a day of work for me, yeah.

Erm... DC's "Ambush Bug" mini serieses were hot, as were the indy titles "It's Science with Dr. Radium" and "Death Crazed Teenage Superheroes".
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i used to like the black&white conan comics, but not the color ones, those were cheesy.
also, the early issues of spawn, but i kinda stopped reading comics about then.
and the tick ones were cool too, but i didn't read many of them.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Bjam wrote:I've been wanting to get my hands on Sandman, but the oppurtunity's never come up. Oh, how sad it is to live somewhere with no comic book stores. (Except for the freaky one in KOP mall with the freaky guy with the freaky leering.)
Try the library. Most that I've been to have all the Sandmans.
the Jazz wrote: I've avoided "From Hell" because it was made into a movie, when really I should just be avoiding the movie because it was made from a comic.
Yeah, just ignore the movie. I think it's Alan Moore's best work by far. Watchmen was good for what it was, and the time it was in, but From Hell is some of the best 35 bucks you can spend on a graphic novel.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

rabfunkle wrote:Alan Moore's "V for Vendetta" rocks the house.
Aw yeah! I forgot that one.
Let cake eat them.