Pepsi Presents (Sold Out reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Ethan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Banjo, Violin, Harmonica
Recording Method: Audacity and a Rock Band mic (super awesome)
Submitting as: The Sky Looks Pissed

Pepsi Presents (Sold Out reviews)

Post by Ethan »

I will probably do some reviews myself this week, if I have time.
Gimmie one good reason not to do it.
(because I love you)

Elliott Smith - King's Crossing
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Re: Pepsi Presents (Sold Out reviews)

Post by Lucky Spoon »

oh bugger!

I was just coming to make a thread....

My title:
"Can I at least get a rain check? (Sold Out reviews)"
Last edited by Lucky Spoon on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Before I get hate mail and/or pedantic reviews, I just want to clarify that my song is about someone who tries desperately to be "sold out", except anything notable to become sold out... so then the person's actually sold out his or her own identity. I'm sure you've all met the type.

It's just such an angry song that I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lucky Spoon »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:Before I get hate mail and/or pedantic reviews, I just want to clarify that my song is about someone who tries desperately to be "sold out", except anything notable to become sold out... so then the person's actually sold out his or her own identity. I'm sure you've all met the type.

It's just such an angry song that I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.
so wait... are you saying that people that think that you're implying that someone else (possibly on songfight) is a sell out then those people are completely wrong and they SHOULDN'T send you hate mail and/or come to this person's "defense"??????

furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Lucky Spoon wrote:(possibly on songfight)
stirrer :)
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

if you change the spelling of one word in my song to another word that is pronounced the same way, but spelled different, it takes on a second meaning (which is the intended meaning of the song).
for that reason, i'm not publishing the lyrics right away in case someone wants to take a stab at what the song is really about. besides selling out. it is definitely about that.
note: when i wrote this one, i thought i'd have a collaborator and have a live band version, but the weather prevented my travels. g+g doesn't really do this one justice, but it's all i had time for.
PM me if you think you found the hidden meaning of the song. try not to spoil it for other people.
jolly roger
A New Player
Instruments: drum
Recording Method: a computer with audacity
Submitting as: Jolly Roger

Post by jolly roger »

Reviews by Jolly Roger

Adam adamant - I like the buzzing and beat when it comes in. this beat is so phat, I could dance to it a lot, and it is really catchy. you might get a vote.
Anarchic aardvark - the piano (I think) sounds crunchy, but the whole thing is just so catchy that I can't resist myself. your voice sounds pop-punkish, like relient K. but it is good. you will probably get a vote.
Andrew reist - really loud, sounds like goo goo dolls with the chords. I can't tell what you are saying most of the time, and the beat is lacking. where are the drums? I recommend hammerhead for a drum machine, if you can google that.
Balance lost - there is a lot of buzzing in this fight. the fight should be called sold out dance. more tapping and catchiness is what gets my attention. I'm not sure if this should get a vote, it just doesn't click with me.
Bax - This rocks so hard, and has a lot of rhymes. It sounds original, and has a lot of good ideas - the so fake line will be in my memory for a long time.
Berkeley SS - oh, I love prog! you guys are so creative because you use that interesting time signature! the chorus sounds so catchy, I really like it. This is a vote absolutely.
Big crouton - fast riffs have my attention from the very beginning. oh, I don't like rap very much, but the guitar is so fast that it has to receive a vote. Great job.
Botolph - the drums are very slow, but the vocals are pretty cool. beauty is something I like in a song, so this might receive a vote.
Bourbon drops - you don't sound very excited, and I can't understand you. you have a nice voice though, so if you keep trying, it will come. but is that a ukulele? :D
Britanny spud - such a fat beat cannot go unsaid. I want to punch dance right now, this catches my attention so well! so far, this is one of the best.
Composugnus - the snare drum changes volume, that is what I can say. Did you say "it's hard to penis"? because that's pretty hilarious, but it doesn't fit. :lol:
deetak - pianos always catch me off guard, since not many people can play them anymore. I think I've heard this somewhere before, but do not take that for truth. When you sing so high you lose the note sometimes, but the piano writing is really nice - but the vocals sometimes need work. Keep up the work, you will get it someday with practice!
drum machine - oh, nice start. sweet effects, but it takes a long time to begin. that drum does not have punch, is it not a drum? Um, I am relatively confused, but it is kind of good I guess. Keep trying - it seems that some people liked it a lot because of the applause at the end.
Generic spoons - it is catchy, but the drum beats distract me sometimes. I hope you keep making music though, since I would buy an album of this, maybe even more than one cd for my family.
Hostess Mostess - this reminds me of beauty and the beast - even though it is sad, I cannot help but enjoy it. when there is more than one voice, my spine goes tingly, so you have me there. :lol: Yes, this is quite nice so it probably is worthy of a vote.
Jolly Roger - This is me, I think it is quite good, but my voice is not quite developed yet. I am using better drum machines than previously, but I think it is alright - I only spent like half an hour on this one, so can you blame me if it is not the best? :lol:

There are many more people here than I remember, so I am done with reviews for now. But you are all good, and if I could give a vote to everybody I would. You are all so talented!
To have a friend you must be the friend of them all.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

What's up with the filename for Adam Adamant's song? "adamadamant_so.mp3.mp3" ?
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Hmmmm, who's "Brittany Spud"? Is it Spud with Sven Mullet?
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

MC Paul Denyer... this is exactly Brad Sucks's music from "Time to Take Out the Trash", except with rapping over it.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lucky Spoon »

Lunkhead wrote:What's up with the filename for Adam Adamant's song? "adamadamant_so.mp3.mp3" ?
Explorer window: Tools >> Folder Options...

Goto View tab

uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Click "Apply to all folders"

saves you from
1) looking like a n00b with .mp3.mp3
2) clicking on This is totally a sweet picture.jpg.vbs

MisterQuoons
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Armpit noises, loud yelps, mouse organ
Recording Method: kerosene-powered Edison phonograph
Submitting as: Elton John

Post by MisterQuoons »

Composgnathus - I rather like the drums in this one. Singing is good too; you remind me a little of a punk rock Jim Morrison. I also like the transition between the uptempo rocking and the slow acoustic parts.

Berkeley Social Scene - I actually kind of liked this one. The parts where it sounds like it's trying to get heavy (with the shouty vocals and all) I wasn't wild about; sounded a little too "Box Car Racer" or something. Other than that though, I didn't not like this.

Trident Jones - Okay guys, who just kicked Tim Buckley in the nuts? Because it's not funny. He could get seriously hurt that way.

Drum Machine! - I like GarageBand effects too.

Manhattan Glutton - Wow, this is totally a vote. Awesome lyrics, composition and playing. This is the song that I wish I had written. You bastard.

Hostess Mostess - Normally I don't care for solo piano / voice submissions, but this is done extremely well. Wait, I guess there's bass and drums and strings and stuff in there too. Still, you understand what I mean I'm sure. Sounds like something gets a little choppy in a couple of places; not sure if that's just the compression or a recording error. Also, that guitar that comes in about halfway through is a little wimpy; maybe you could stand to zazz it up a little. Other than that, though, this is very impressive.

Boltoph - Nice guitar work in the intro. Playing overall is competent, but I can't quite seem to get past the fact that this sounds like Savage Garden or something. Wait, now it sounds like a rock song. Definitely better, and I have to say that I dig the solo. Okay, now it's gone quiet again, and it sounds like Dust in the Wind or something. This is kind of an odd mishmash of styles here; I'm not quite sure what I think. It's definitely well done, and I have no doubt that people are going to like it, but I will have to muse on it a while to determine whether it's my kind of thing or not. Overall, though, I think I like it.

Well Read Skeletons - I like the freaky sounding organ in this. The little chimes or whatever are nice too. Yeah, I can dig this. This song is cool enough that I can't concentrate on the words; I'm going to have to go back and listen to it a few more times to get them down, because they sound like they're probably funny.

Adam Adamant - Is that two rhythm guitar tracks split into stereo, or just one with some kind of stereo effect? Cant' tell. Oh, well. I really like the combination of electronic and acoustic instrumentation here. Love the way the drums come in; in fact the pattern you wrote, combined with the lo-fi effect really gives this song some character. The melody is pretty chill too. I really like this; I think this one is a vote.

LML - Claps or snaps or whatever they are need to be recorded better; they could add something to the song if they were, but as it stands I find them distracting. That's really my only objection here; this is pretty good. The lyrics looked a little clumsy when I read them in the thread earlier, but in the song they actually fit together quite well.

Generic Sp00ns - I think if Meatloaf did showtunes it might sound a little like this. I don't mean that in an entirely insulting way, either. As someone who also likes to get drunk and play the guitar, I can't really knock this all that hard.

Big Crouton - I like the music overall and the guitar playing specifically. Also, your unique take on the song title is refreshing in a fight filled to the brim with songs about selling out artistically. Very nice.

Pathetic Wannabees - Nice low budget sound here. I'm not quite sure what this song is about, but I like it. The lead guitar parts are cool as shit.

Brittany Spud - Little bit of clipping; otherwise this is awesome. What is with all of the awesome metal songs in this fight? I'm not sure what you did, but I really like the way the vocals sound on the "I've got nothing to sell so I can't sell out" parts. Is that a vocoder or something? Or one of those Peter Frampton boxes? Or are you just doing something funky with your voice? Either way, nice.

Balance Lost - It sure is. I'm joking; in all seriousness, this is not bad. I'm a sucker for cheap-ass electro pop sung in a British accent, even if it does suck a little. The part towards the end where the guitars start to hit a little heavier didn't really need to happen, in my opinion, but that's just me I guess.

Anarchic Aardvark - Nice bassline, and the synth part isn't bad either. Maybe needs a little more variation to keep people listening; this gets a little dull after about forty seconds. Fortunately, it's not that long, so I guess that's okay.

South Sycamore Wheelbarrow Factory Ensemble - Drums too loud, vocals too quiet. Also, I think you're singing to close to the microphone. Or, you keep moving closer to it and then moving farther away. Or, you just have a shitty setup. Or, you don't know what you're doing. I have no idea what this song about.

The Sky Looks Pissed - Is that two people singing at once? I'd lose that if I were you. Who ran out of mittens? Something about the Juno soundtrack? Yeah, I'd lose that second person doing vocals. Or maybe it's just you on overdub. Or maybe it's an echo. Whatever it is, it's not helping. Wait, who was sold out? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

MC Paul Denyer - Beating up old ladies, awesome. Way to curry my favor by writing a song about one of my favorite passtimes. Not sure what this has to do with selling out, but it's pretty awesome. I think I'm going to put this on next time I feel like getting drunk and punching something.

mc joebudy - Um, what? I can't tell if I like this or not. On the one hand, I can appreciate this because it's pretty bad nerd rap. On the other hand, this is pretty bad nerd rap.

bax - More cowbell. I want to hear more cowbell. Uhh, yeah. When attempting this type of a song, you either pull it off or you don't, and I'm afraid in this case, you don't. Sorry.

Andrew Reist - Not selling out what? I know who's there, exactly? I can't really understand the words all that well here, so I went to the thread and read them. I still can't quite figure out what this song is about, but it sounds like the kind of thing that stoned college kids would hold up their lighters for.

MK and LC - For some reason, while I was listening to this song I found myself nodding off and having this dream about punching Rob Thomas in the face.

Wreckdom - This is cool as fuck. The next time I go to buy pants I am so burning this on a CD and listening to it on the way there. I love the dreamy little sax that sounds like it's from an eighties soul ballad. I think this is another vote.

Lucky Spoon - Very nice drumbeat and bass part. Can't tell what's programmed here and what's not, so good. Once the singing starts I kind of lose interest a little. The guitars could stand to be beefed up a little. Okay, I take back what I said about the singing; the little System of a Down type vocal there is quite awesome. That just buttresses my argument about the guitars needing to be beefed up. Definitely re-record this; this has potential.

The Bourbon Drops - The hippie folk movement is dead for a reason.

Jolly Roger - I want to like this, because the weird echoey vocals and humming is cool, but the song overall is a little boring. Not quite sure what would zazz it up, exactly, but it definitely needs more zazz. I like the idea you've got here, though.

Larry Knox - I like the little piano hits in the beginning that sound like they're being played by someone with Parkinson's disease. I'm afraid that's about it, though. The instrumentals and lyrics sound like some long-forgotten top 40 song from the seventies, maybe written by Randy Newman or something. I can normally forgive bad singing if the song is good, but here the vocals are bad enough in contrast to how well the instrumentals are put together that the whole thing just conveys the impression of really terrible bar karaoke.

Paco Del Stinko - Ooh, whatever that high squeaky thing is, I like it. Also, this song is about Twinkies, and that is awesome, as Twinkies are delicious. If I went to 7-11 and they were all sold out of Twinkies, I would probably be depressed enough to write a song about it as well. Wow, the ice cream truck is sold out of sno-cones too? Bummer. Nice acoustic solo.

deetak - This one varies back and forth from being a rather conventional pop song and being a sort of an avant garde type of thing but not really. Not sure if it was on purpose or not, but I have to say it's an interesting combination. I like the piano fills, very boss.

Leaf 62 - The singing on the verse parts doesn't really fit the instrumentals, but I think that may have been deliberate. Anyway, I like the chorus parts. All in all, this is okay, but I can't say that it really moves me all that much. With a bit of development, I think it could be good though.

Weakest Suit - Meeeeeaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrghhhh. I'm sorry. I just sat and listened to every song in this fight straight through, and I just can't concentrate on this. It starts off posing rhetorical questions I'm not sure if I have the energy to hear the answer to, and the development is too slow to really get into. All in all, this is a song that could definitely use a bit of zazzing up.

The King of Quoons - I sure am.
Crunchy frog. Tiny green beads. Sapphire bullets of pure poop. Available only from MUFFIN.
When in Rome, be sure to visit http://www.therealmuffin.net
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages

Post by adamadamant »

Lucky Spoon wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:What's up with the filename for Adam Adamant's song? "adamadamant_so.mp3.mp3" ?
Explorer window: Tools >> Folder Options...

Goto View tab

uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Click "Apply to all folders"

saves you from
1) looking like a n00b with .mp3.mp3
2) clicking on This is totally a sweet picture.jpg.vbs
Sorry it was my fault, I forgot that the tagging software I use adds the extension so I typed '.mp3' in the filename box ... blah blah. I don't use Windows but thanks for the tip.

And thanks for the kind words so far reviewers.

@MisterQuoons: It is two guitars, my guitar playing is pretty bad so I played it twice to try and mask the mistakes, plus it sounds kind of cool panned. Oh and credit where it's due, I didn't write the drums, it's a just a sample I downloaded. I did rearrange it in a few places to break it up but most of it's not original.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

I just wanted to comment on the great Teplin art two weeks in a row. :)
-- reve mosquito.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

MisterQuoons wrote:it sounds like the kind of thing that stoned college kids would hold up their lighters for.
Haha, no wonder I like it. :lol:

ps - ditto on the great artwork. I'm jealous of your art skills, teplin.
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Bowed guitar and an excess of reverb
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Howl Down the Chimney, Humboat, Make Spoons Not Knives

Post by Teplin »

Hey, thanks you two. I've been having a blast with my new tablet, I should have gotten one of these years ago.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Spoons Quoons and Andrew Jolly Rolly Reist??? at least Wreckdom are back :D
I'm confOOsed - RevOOws sOOn!

*yes artwork is top notch - good job Mr. Teplin
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Adam Adamant: OOooh thars a bit bass heavy me ol' chuck!! though to be absolutely 100% honest, I do like your stuff, just wish you had a captain master blaster on your team, cleaned up I'd buy yur CeeDee's
This has a sub-stranglers touch about it....

Anarchic Aardvark: Now this'n suffers from the completely opposite problem that young adam's doo-flicky does, it's a bit tooo clean for such a sparce track, there4 without a bit of muddlyness it sounds a bit ... eemmppttyy!

Jolly Rolly #1: Where4 art thou drumming hands Andrew?? (actually rather like this in a GnG Wages kind of way), goood singeing tooo, a little bit live-colledgee, but nice nonoftheless!! :)

Balance Lost on them Meddly chaps: Absolute bloody Marfellous!!! 1,000,000% voteamistic! (completely bonkers lyrics 2)

Bax So: i have no ideya who this bax so is, but you sound lyke furgle sharkly from the Undertones.... Its a little bit 4ced, not too keen on the drums (are they plotted or reel??)... if plotted then well dun :))

Berkley Social Scene: LOve it, because yoo sound a bit like Pete and his Carpet kids... Vote! growwwl!

Big CrOOton: Whoa hooey! we've a rocky ol' time heer, rappy rock is cool, but s'bit smeh! when you com[pare] to stuff like PWEI, but thas a preety cOOL flow you got goin!!

Botolph: Always, Always, Always a Vote! you are far too good at this!

Borebomb Drips: Yeah Folk Club! this is bloody cool!! I even started to swing me pants!

Brittany Spuds: BANG GO MY F**KIN EARS! thanks spud!!! :)) Howlingly awesome!! V O T E !

Compostanus: After Spud this sounds like nowt!, victims of the alphabeet! slow bits are a bit awful tho'

Dee-tack: Sounds like barrymannilow smashed into leonardcohen whilst drinking some extremely strong white spirit concoxion!! makes me shudder!

Drum Ma' cheen: Shut up and play the fookin' track, arggh thas it skkkkkkipppppppppppp! you worm quartet reject!

Generic SlOOps: Cheesy Breezy Squeezy niceness!

Hostess Trolley: Oh my goodness, this is a bit 80's, i can almost see your huge soft perm gently swaying in the calmic breeze emanating from the wind machine..... as i fall from my chair....... bump!

Jolly Rolly #2: aha you put the drummin in this 'un, I dunno maybe you should join the 2 tracks toogether and make ONE BIG ONE!!... sounds like you need the toilet dood!

sqOOns: this track segways rather nicely from the last one and should there4 be renamed.... Jolly Rolly #3... apart from that its pants!!!.... silly pants at that!!... with a silly hat on too!

Larry Knocks: woo that pianos loud, you sound a little like our own Steve Durand, and I reckon with his horns, and your two voices, and that loungey jazzy clubby sound youd make a reet good pairing!!

Leaf 62: Vocals could doo with being a bit more dirrty, this is far too clean, sometimes its a good thing to be a bit sloppy in the studio, i reckon this is one of those times, good track, but maybe a bit too good!?!

Lynette LOOis: Oh so very Michelle Shocked... Voterama!

Luckee spOOn: back in the day when I was a spOOn, I was never this gOOd, so carry that flag guy, s'a bit lame tho'

Man Hat On Glutton: Another song about falling down the stairs.... LSK (is it LSK???) did something simlar a couplea weeks ago, glad, you stopped the murdering, an decided to get on with it, good rocky road number, s'not as good as spuds tho' so so far he's gettin the rawk vote!

Joe McBuddy: s'funny you dont sound scottish, is this that nerdcore stuff?? i remember a song from the 70's it was calld 'king of the cops' that was better than this.....

Paul McDenyer: thought id flog the name Mcname thing, (shnork!), grralll angry rap, all you need is someone filming you on there mobile phone and then sharing the video in the playground between lessons, you happy slapper you!!

Mike Cortina: oh oh this sounds like a sensible one.... yup! very very well done, everything happens at exactly the right moment, its almost like follow the numbers, thas not ment to be an insulting thing, it just sounds very similar to a lot of other 'driving tracks' top down and away we go....!

Pancho la Stinka: Love it, love the keyboard/synthy intro... love the vocals as always, another chart topping cracker,.... hey stop wanking in the ice cream van line!!! vOOte!

Pathechic wallabies: Hey its Mad Dog (innit?), Always a joy to hear this kinda monkeyfukkin shit.... definate vote!! s'good ol fashiond punkblues!!

SkysPpissed: Tales from the riverbank, take a good hard listen too cheese on bread, thats the future of antifolk, not rehashing moldy peaches.......

SouthWheelbarrowSomething: ow that kick is really fukkin annoying, and you sound a bit like steve jones trin to sound like johnny rotten.... not enough goin on to make a diffrence.... arrgh that kick drum....!

Trident Johns: Oh Shanandoa.... on downers!

Weekend sOOp: At the end of the fight again, kinda like a Cast demo.... not bad but like Cast, not a patch on the La's.... hey there's 2 more to go!!!

We Read SkellytOOns: Why the funk did the title 'Sold Out' bring out the nutter in most everyone???? this is some crazy shit, specially lke the shop door bell thingy!

Wreackdoms: CINNAMON.... says it all!... ha ha ha Vote!
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Bowed guitar and an excess of reverb
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Howl Down the Chimney, Humboat, Make Spoons Not Knives

Post by Teplin »

Nigel (spOOn) Clements wrote: Brittany Spuds: BANG GO MY F**KIN EARS! thanks spud!!! :)) Howlingly awesome!! V O T E !

Compostanus: After Spud this sounds like nowt!, victims of the alphabeet!
I know, right? I thought my guitars were all huge and fire-breathing, and then Brittany Spud made me realize I'm a fucking pussy. I should have turned it up, clipping be damned.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Brittany Spuds: I just have to say that Spud going through autotune is a frightful sound.

Sorry if I missed anyone.
kittay
A New Player
Submitting as: The Bourbon Drops; eurotrashjuice

Post by kittay »

If any of these seem ridiculously snarky, I was probably trying to be funny and would be very hurt if anyone said such mean things about the songs I've worked on. :roll:

Brittany Spud- Almost intelligable lyrics, kind of punk + cock rock + ween with a sprinkle of Weird Al. Catchy actually...

Big Crouton- Ooooh, nice intro, I'm bopping my head, then it turns into Anthony Kiedis and morphs into nerd rap, but with a HUGE wanking, masturbatory guitar solo. Tee hee.

Composgnathus- The intro lured me in layer by layer, the vocals continued the pull, the tempo and time changes alright at first, oh, you're losing me with some awkward segues, doh, you brought it back around in the end. I like :)

MC PD- Ummm. Not down with the violent lyrics. Bored with the rest of it.

The Bourbon Drops. I was part of the collaborative effort, and I love my friends who play music together in a room, over and over, and then sometimes more music in another room with headphones.

Well Read Skeletons- Cute intro, ambient, full of bubbles like champagne, but monotonous. Although that's what ambient music is so, well done.

LML- Very simple little ditty. I like your vocals and, of course, the claps. The clap is awesome. I mean, claps are cool.

adamadamant. Beautiful vocals, interesting layering, mellow mood.

Trident Jones - Reminiscent of Thom Yorke vocals, very emotional, monotonous.

MK & LC- Good start rhythmically, then into cheesy college rockster love ballad. For fans of Hootie and the Blowfish.

Paco Del Stinko- Exciting intro, twinkies & snocones, indie feel, a wanking masturbatory guitar solo AND a sweet solo (yay sweet solo).

drum machine- uhhhh weird. minimalist. comedic.

leaf 62- Again with the cock rock! Straighten my hair, bleach it blond, turn the amp up to 11, put an armadillo in my trousers and it's time to ROCK!! Song goes dark pagan rock ala Black Sabbath suddenly, then it gets nerdy. Why?

Manhattan Glutton: Stampeding large animal screams? Nice keyboards and lead vocals.

Jolly Roger- It's Thom Yorke again, moaning in the background. And also monotonous (monotone, monorhythm).

Hostess Mostess - Ooohhh piano love ballad! Yay. Sweet vocals and lyrics, nice playing, nice layering and restrained percussion. I'll have Phil Collins people call your people. ; )

Larry Knox- Another piano song. hmmmm I hope this turns out to be funny. Cause that's the only way the vocal is going to work. Oops. I'm sorry, I'm no expert, but the vocals are pretty flat all the way through.

Bax - Yeah, it's rocking, a punk show at the teen center, come on, let's go, my mom's giving us a ride! Teenage boys do love a wanking guitar solo.

Berkeley Social Scene- You get my vote, this is one class act. It's all working, pretty tight, (especially as far as SF goes) and full percussion, plus emotional sing yelling. And that sweet rockboy chorus. Hmmm, you guys are so dreamy...

South Sycamore Wheelbarrow Factory Ensemble- Synthy tech emo. The vocals could be louder or more in front and still keep the feel, they're good.

deetak- This sounds very contemporary, I like the focus on the vocals, with very minimal piano/ instrumentation. You pulled it off with panache.

The Weakest Suit- Guitar + guy = song. It's simple and sweet. The chorus is catchy with enough rhythm change to keep my interest.

Anarchic Aardvark- I'm chair dancing a bit as the song begins, but I stop. It's s simple, catchy, pop tune.

Balance Lost- Yay, it's the 80's, and it's an english techno-pop-new wave band. I'm hoping you're wearing a sharp shouldered jacket and a bit of eyeliner. Nice guitar playing, and your guitar solo is NOT wanking at all! That's worth a vote! And your voice is delicious.

mc joebudy- An ode to soda pop. This nerd rap works. It's got ambient feel, goes with the bubbly soda-pop theme.

Lucky Spoon- Flea called, he wants his bass-line back. Hmmm, this track has a lot of interesting parts and influences, flat energy though.

Boltoph- Hmmm, Incubus style sing and play guitar, then get real hard! Not bad though, I kinda like it.

Pathetic Wannabees- More nerd rap/rock. I guess it's good for what it is, but it's not my bag, baby. I like the Oh oh's in the middle. Do that more!

WreckdoM- Ha ha, good shopping interludes. Cinnamon and seafoam! Husky......he he he.

The King of Quoons- I think Eddy Munster wrote this nerd rap. It has a spooky quality.

The Sky Looks Pissed- Those vocals and lyrics are tender, can I put you in my pocket? This is a sweet little song.

Andrew Reist- I wish this song had more band behind it, it's big enough to handle it. Nice singing, good playing, good song.

Generic Sp00ns- You got your quirky cred in order with the word packed lyrics. But my favorite part is where you sing Aaahh. Nice voice.

In general, Phew, there was a monotonous theme, a cock rock theme, and a wanking guitar solo theme that I thought would continue throughout all the entries, but it got weirder, thank gawd.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Fun fact: In high school, I wrote a song called "Sell Out." Well, most of one. I was kind of fuzzy on the lyrics, which I never bothered to write down, but the chorus went as follows:

Oh yeah I wanna sell out
I'll sell tonight if it'll get you
Oh yeah I wanna sell out
But I'm not sure who I'm selling out to

So, on that note... First impressions, in semi-random order.

Huh. I'm voting for Deetak this week.

Brittany Spud is creepy with occasional spurts of brilliance.

Larry Knox would sound like Jim of Seattle if his vocals were more precise, and if he'd taken more care to include dynamics in his sequencing. An interesting departure from his previous songs.

Leaf 62 reminds me of something, but I don't know what. That dramatic flair to the spoken-word vocals combined with that paradoxically clean crunch to the guitars is awesome.

Manhattan Glutton: are those elephants?

Berkley Social Scene went for a much harder sound than usual. I'm not sure I approve. Will have to listen again.

MC Paul Denyer is exactly the reason that I don't generally release my individual tracks to the public.

Paco is showing off his "bizarrely catchy hook" muscles. I like it. Paco and Glenn Case have, between them, shown me that there's a lot of hope for those of us who don't have the standard rock or folk singing voices.

Pathetic Wannabes have unusually good lyrics this week, but the production is a bit sloppier than usual (yes, even for them). There's a conundrum.

The Sky Looks Pissed: isn't this pretty much the same song as your "Green Eleven?"

Reist, if you'd spent less time being schizophrenic and put more work into your Andrew Reist song, I might have voted for it.

Weakest Suit, could you please refrain from submitting unfinished songs? I've liked a lot of your work, but the last few songs of yours I've heard have felt rushed and phoned-in. This one included.

Hostess Mostess, superior as per usual. I'll be voting for you.

Great job, Well Read Skeletons. Glad to see you back, even if under a different name. (New band, or what?)

WreckdoM's entry is mesmerizingly bizarre. My first WreckdoM vote? Maybe.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages