Barenaked Side Fight!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Which REMINDS me...

I need to upload this again, don't I!?

Well, that is exactly what I did. Here is an improved version of the cricket mix.

http://glenncase.songhole.org/content/s ... ricket.mp3

I turned down the crickets a bit, and they aren't as shrill now.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle

Post by TVsKyle »

I'm micing the bongos (actual bongos) the same way I'm micing everything else: I'm sticking the mic near it. For some reason I consistantly have trouble making the bongos sound like they're part of the mix. When you first hear the bongos, the first beat sounds off because that's actually me hitting the mic stand on some other track.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

bortwein wrote:
frankie big face wrote:Okay, it's not my greatest work, but I had somewhat limited time (and talent). Hope you like it Bortwein! (You too Human cello!!)

<a href="http://www.frankiebigface.com/covers/fb ... 3">Frankie Big Face - Sell Sell Sell (Barenaked Ladies cover)</a>
Wow this is great. I like the vocal style you brought to this song. Even on a limited time as you said, you did a great job. My wife did say it sounded too much like you were going straight for the original sound, and not adding enough of your own touch to it. Which makes sense to me, but I still think it came out quite well.
Yeah, I didn't do too much with it. I tried the song at different tempos, but it didn't seem to flow very well outside of the original speed. So I decided to strip it of its bombast and focus on the words. At first, I did it without any harmonies, but it was too dry, soooo.....well, you get the idea. Before you know it, it was pretty close to the original, except with that Frankie Big Face guy singing it.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Poor June wrote:sorry mine didn't turn out that well... kinda rushed it too much... but... i gotta say glenn's was probably my fave...
the TV's was really good... and so was frankie big faces...
i thought yours was pretty interesting. i don't know the original, but i liked what you did. it was dark.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

The other ones.

I liked Glenn's, but it was almost exactly the same experience as listening to the original.

I like TV's Kyle's more because it was quirkier and I'm not sure how he makes records now that sound like they came from the 60's.

I listened to Denyer's a while ago, but I don't remember it now. Sorry.

Where are the rest?!! :P
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle

Re: The other ones.

Post by TVsKyle »

frankie big face wrote: I'm not sure how he makes records now that sound like they came from the 60's.
You have no idea how happy that comment makes me! Other than the low-fi recording quality and liberal use of tambourine, I'm not sure either. I can tell you that on this one, I didn't plug anything directly into the computer. I mic'd everything this time. I was hoping it'd make it sound less sterile.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

frankie big face wrote:Where are the rest?!! :P
Suprisingly, I haven't forgotten about this side fight. I went away for a week and couldn't get it done before I left. Now I'm back and it's gettin' there. I'd like to say tomorrow, but I don't want to jinx it. :oops:

(I hope that's a voodoo mask; is it? Ohh, it's a da-donga mask, making it a pretty good oops. :( I miss the Hales.)
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

(actually i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a pfm mask but that works too...
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Puce wrote:it's gettin' there. I'd like to say tomorrow, but I don't want to jinx it. :oops:
Apparently my pants are on fire.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

tviyh wrote:(actually i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a pfm mask but that works too...
Honestly it looks like what it's supposed to. :?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

pfm masks rule! :oops:

I also have not forgotten about this side fight, except that I don't think mine will be finished anytime soon. The GoM is my first priority recordign wise, and unfortunately I am working every night for 10 - 15 hours a night so recording time is hard to get. (excuses,excuses,excuses) One day...
White people, is you funky?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

prayformojo wrote:I also have not forgotten about this side fight, except that I don't think mine will be finished anytime soon. The GoM is my first priority recordign wise, and unfortunately I am working every night for 10 - 15 hours a night so recording time is hard to get. (excuses,excuses,excuses) One day...
same here! (except substitute "10 - 15 hours a week")
honestly, both songs (GOM & BNL) will be finished very soon.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

<a href="http://www.jimtyrrell.net/mp3/jimt_BnL_ ... .mp3">When I Fall (Barenaked Ladies cover)</a>
Recorded live at the Cabot Motor Inn, 1/8/05
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

jimtyrrell wrote:<a href="http://www.jimtyrrell.net/mp3/jimt_BnL_ ... .mp3">When I Fall (Barenaked Ladies cover)</a>
Recorded live at the Cabot Motor Inn, 1/8/05
Holy crap, I love this. The way you slowed it down, the mood fits the song better than the original. Props!