DAW-talk

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: DAW-talk

Post by fluffy »

Ah, neat. That's somewhat different than what I was describing and it actually sounds kind of unwieldy to me, but at least they're thinking about ways of expanding the possible repertoire of operations you can do on a track.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Re: Playhead, I think I must be the opposite, as I recently had problems using the playhead in Reason\Cakewalk (can't remember which, maybe both?) and I'm used to setting my start point which doesn't change unless I change it... hitting space to play/stop but in those programs it just pauses or something and if you hit it again it just continues playing... so I'd make some changes, etc... and want to re-listen to my looped region... and it would just start somewhere in the middle instead of the beginning! So aggravating! Why should I have to keep setting my start position?! Ah well... I guess this is the reason why one DAW does not fit all.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh, definitely. Although if I'm auditioning just a specific section with start point I put it into cycle mode, which has the side effect of always starting playback at a certain point in addition to looping the section.

But yeah, different DAWs work differently and so do different peoples' brains. I keep on trying to make sense of Ableton Live because it seems to do a lot of things I'd like to do, but I just can't brain it at all.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I had that trouble with Live too, it made me feel really dumb that I couldn't make sense of it.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas