Lying just under the surface of (Uncharted Waters reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Lying just under the surface of (Uncharted Waters reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Extremely short and fast reviews is all y'all get this time.

Amby Moho: This brings to mind a modern version of a Harry Nilsson song from "The Point." I like it.

Berkeley Social Scene: Y'all are on a roll. I've liked a lot of your recent entries and this one is... well, one of them.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: I find the arrangement interesting with the cool bass and rhythm and the doubled vocal with one of them being a spoken part and all leading into two other sections. Cool.

clavikill: Fuck genre bias, I liked this.

The Gross Tones: Probably my favorite song of yours. Well, I've only heard like three, but still....

Hot Pink Halo: I like the melody and the phrasing in the vocal.

James Owens: Loved the intro and really the music. The melody works well here even if it reminds me of something very particular that I can't quite put my finger on.

Lichen Throat: I'm impressed with your vocal phrasing, it's pretty damn good (especially in the verses.) While the vocal gets masked a hair here, I think you've done pretty well.

The Pannacotta Army: Damn. I guess I'm just a fan because I'm loving this one more than the last.

Phlebia: Digging the rhythm and the arrangement works very well.

Pigfarmer Jr: Turned out better than I thought it would with the AAAB CCCB verse rhyme and the DDDE FFFE chorus rhyme (a first using three rhymes in both major sections like that.)

Sweeney Toad: Is that organ detuned slightly? It sounds cool.

Third Cat: There's something about your rhythm and melody that combine to make it nearly impossible to sit still while listening. I like this, or as my father would say, "You done good, kid." (Okay he wouldn't really say that.)

toby roktot: You somehow pull off G&G with an authentic feel. I like that you added dynamics to the structure, too.

Vom Vorton: Cool melody/phrasing over cool Vom guitars. Another good one from the Vorton clan... erm... well, you know what I mean.

WreckdoM: Digging that rhythm track. While I'm not a huge fan of spoken vocals, I do like your interesting melody on the title lines.

I enjoyed listening to these. Pannacotta was probably my favorite with a bunch right behind including BSS, Third Cat, Vom, maybe Phlebia and.. well a lot of them had something going for them.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:39 pm
James Owens: The melody works well here even if it reminds me of something very particular that I can't quite put my finger on.
Not Fade Away, maybe? (I'm thinking of the Rolling Stones cover). As far as I know, it's kind of a general-purpose Bo Diddley riff, freely used for this kind of thing.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I just don't feel like fixing spelling errors tonight. I mean, they got red underlines and stuff but whatever.

Pannacotta Army: So, I just got a powered sub woofer for my studio and damn whaaaat a difference.
Nice intro, I almost though it was the Carpenters and was just ABOUT to sing "why do b..." nope. It's not that song.
This gives me a certain feel.. I'm not thinking of the reference..I mean, other than I just referenced the Carpenters lol. But it's not that important because this is well done. If you told me this was a "real" late 70s tune that came out on someone's album I might believe you. The mix seems a bit hot to me; in my speakers there is some disortion. I like the drum tone, I like the feel, but if it was me I'd go in and tighten up some of it, and I get it, it's songfight, time blah blah blah but pretend it's not songfight and you don't have a time limit... I'm assuming this is a drummer and not a machine? Anyway, what ever it is (might not be the drums, could be the bass line too) there is some real MINOR looseness that if it was me, I'd fix it. This is a super nice song though, real sweet vibe, and very enjoyable. I listened 5 times to it...must move on to another tune now, but WELL DONE!

Pigfarmer Jr: Right off the bat I dug the snare tone and did not dig the guitar tone. The singing... I like. You sound like a "more American" Micheal Stipe here. I like the guitar on the chorus... yeah, for those that, like me, went without a sub in your studio... jezuz go on craigslist or something. C'mon. Get it together. lol... yeah, the kick has a nice, "soft" punch.. sixtiish I want to say but I 'think Im making that reference up. Oh man, that bridge is sweet. You know what... it's like the first 3 bars, I honestly was "meh" and then it just grows. Are you an R.E.M. fan? This is SOO like the REM I like. Nice mix too man. ( I say man in a non-binary, non-gender, non-whatever I'm SUPPOSED to mean by that.. it's slang I use, I'm 48 deal with it. Even if you are man.) Fuck yeah, you know what that was pretty fucking good I liked it! going for round two here.. yeah, ignore my comments about the start, I'm out to lunch that was just that thing when something happens we don't expect and now that I've adjusted to what you are doing this is SUPER good. ANOTHER WELL DONE!!! I feel like swearing alot tonight. It was one of those days, and this tune.. okay, super cheesy but it makes me feel like I'm in 1993 and ready to hit the road and start my life. I really have no idea if anyone else gets a nostalgic vibe off this and I'm keenly aware I sound like the musicans I played with in cover bands 20 years ago when they were 40 and talked about CCR and Neil Young songs.. lol.. but whatever. I dig your tune, and the performances and the mix.

The Gross Tones
: Well, off the bat the mix isn't as good as the last one so that pulls me out of it a bit. Vocals sound good. There is a bit of a Ramones had a baby with the beach boys thing, and also reminds me a bit of T-Rex. To be FAIR (to be fair) (too be fair...) I got a problem with songs that reference COVID19 right now. If I didn't pick up on that angle I probably would be more interested in the song but as soon as I got the theme, it was like...man, I get enough of this fucking topic constantly (I manage at a food processing facility so we are "an essential service" and still running and the issues I have to deal with.. ahhh FUCK see now I'm talking about fucking work and disease and ... ) I guess I'll have to stop with that. the feel and vibe would be fun if not the topic, so ... I look forward to hearing something else from you and hopefully the topic is more in a lane that I'm interested in.

Brown Word and the Big Vibe: Dig the groove off the top and the keys/bass tone. What is gonna happen.. hmmm... okay, the funky back in the pocket, mellow cool singer thing.. .the spoken word thing. Guess what. I dig it. Ohh.. I like that counter pointing keys line between the verses... I haven't actually picked up on the story yet.. .but I like all the changes, and the tones. Okay, it sounds like you can sing.. if it was me, after the screaming bit.. I'd try to get you to do a more melodic, wide open (like the laughing that's cool)... okay, forget that suggestion, enough is going on it doesn't need more ideas. That said, the "everybody stoppppp" or whatever you say there, that doesn't sound like you committed to that phrase... felt like it needed to belt out. I like this, I like the random coming in ride cymbal stuff, this is ... I don't know if this is indiciative of song fight these days, or music or what, but I AGAIN get this vibe like it's an early 90's kind of thinking. I love that stuff, that was a time for me where music felt adventurous and new and like you could do whatever you wanted, and we were getting more advanced hip hop, and the Beasties Boy's check your head, man I loved that album for these reasons.. .anyway, I don't know you, how old you are or what you reference but this hit a lot of cool marks.. let's check it out again here..
yeah.. comes in with that "WHHUTTT??" kinda pocket funk... and then... smooth vocal entry.. funky delirious keys.. nice mix by the way... I might play with panning the spoken word and the singing instead of sitting them over top of each other. I like how that "whoooa aahh" stuff sits in the background. Yeah.. I'd personally not do the spoken word on the second verse part... but these are just my ideas, cause you know, musicans like to throw their thoughts into things they like lol... man that bridge section is good.. yeah man, I think you gotta re-do that "test of an emergency system" part and just fucking belt it out with more authority. Overall I am diggin it WELL DONE.

Plebia: Accoustic guitar ...hand drum... the bottom seems a bit full to me.. I'm getting a Gordon Lightfoot thingy here. Well, my apologies but stylistically I wouldn't listen to this. If this was a gig, I"d politely smile, nod my head out of appreciation of the effort and after enough time where it's clear I don't want to be rude or non-supportive.. I'd slink away to the bar and get a drink and then have a conversation with someone to distract myself lol.. .damn, I'm killing myself right now sory. But this is a place I don't really enjoy going. In retrospect, "Ive done some gigs in the past like this.. and I'm realizing right now.. I did that for the money. Sigh. Anyway, other than giving me some self-reflection, I just got nothing to offer you in a review cause it doesn't talk to me. I can't comment on it beyond it doesn't suck, it's well done, it's just not my thing. SO CHEESY but I'd rather write you a review as silly as this than write nothing at all cause I"m an equal opportunity reviewer.

Lichen Throat:
And this doesn't work for me. The singing is detached from the ... kinda everything is detached. You know there are times people go on this rant about how it's "song fight" not production fight or blah blah but thing is, this song is''t a guitar/singer song, it's using tones and sounds and layered ideas so on that merit, it just isn't working. It's so disjointed I have no idea what the story is and I don't really care what it is lol.. this reminds me of when I was 11.. and when no one was home I'd sit at the piano and literally pound the shit out of the keys, in my head, I was playing an amaazzzziiiinnggg classical piece... I had dynamics, I had notes, and sounds, and ideas.. and no melody. Sorry, this isn't working for me on a few levels.

Berkeley Social Scene: I like the singing, I like the song. I wish the guitar was dirtier, I wish the drums weren't so clean either.. WEEZZZEEEERRR.. jesus has Songfight suddenly gone 90's? I'm not complaining, I just thought the "let's all do 80's style stuff" was going to last a bit longer. Sigh. Fucking life eh, just marches along with out any fucks to give, and we just ... get dragged along with it.
Yeah man, (men? people? lifeforms?) I WANT heavier guitars on this. So funny, I have an SF tune from years ago, I got the same beef from someone... and I was all irritated "fuck you I like the clean guitar there." ... this is on upcoming downtime"... and you know what.. I think I was wrong. lol...

Okay...hear me out.. OR... organ on this!! Go all Blue Rodeo doing rock on it!! YEAH!!! Anyway, nice song, I like it ,what a good singing voice tone. I can't pretend I remember all your songs I've heard, I can say I recall they are always well done. I think this group/person could do well if there was time and all that to produce 10-12 well crafted tunes. This tune is okay, but it does have a bit of "filler on the album" feel to it.. .and that's probably a by product of something other than your intentions. WELL DONE.

Sweeny Toad: Sweeny toad is the kind of band name where I'd be all enthused about it and then regret it in a few years. Get back to me on that. Hey! There 's the organ I was talking about lol. I was expecting to have this grab me and I was going to like it but... not really. I do like your cyrpus hill style rapping.. JEZUZ WWHAT THE FUCK IS UP with all these references??? (shhh.. it's how I communicate what I think of your music.. look at the swinging watch.. there you go..). Yeah, there's a bit of a "trying to be hypnotic" and creepy thing here but it's not working for this guy. I don't want to stop it.. I'm hoping something magical is going to .. Trump.. really? ahh man. He is so going to sue you for that.. you got balls.. there's the back beat I was thinking was going to come in ...and the double time vocals are cool. lol.. I FELT like this was going to happen.. the organ is too loud through the whole piece for me. IT just beats you over the head with it's dissonance. eeehhh... it's okay.

Wrekdom: Are you guys from Australia? I think I imagined that. Shouldn't I be expecting something erratic and crazy.. is that you guys? When you start singing, to be blunt, I started smiling like I knew the joke. I mean, I don't. I don't even know if there is an in joke here, I just liked it. It's so sensitive...lol.. is this your trying to fuck someone song? lol. I think I'm getting a total flight of the concords feeling off this. I like this. I might love it, we'll.. is that a bit cruncher effective there? This is well done. WELL DONE. so many layers and by the way my FUCKING SUB WOOFER IS LOVING IT. man. Get a, gotta getta, getta sub. So good. This is not a song, it is very fun to listen to.

third Cat: I like that drum groove off the top. There is a northern pikes song (hopes go astray) uses a similar shuffly 6/8 vibe. I like your singing.. cool mix, that was neat... man this is smooth and sonically interesting. Real good. Third Cat... I am wondering if this is a name I should remember from past songfight times I've had or not...? Anyway, this is fucking good. It's a make me smile, bop my head, love the reverse cymbal idea into that smooth chorus. WELL DONE!!! I wish I had more to say about it.. I'm starting to burn out on reviews, so suffice to say, very enjoyable and Dug it!!

Toby Roktot: ahhh your guitar sounds out of tune to me. My apologies but this is another tune that doesn't speak to what I like to listen to. It's ... it reminds me of a community event or something. Your singing gives me a little Roger Waters thing which I like but overall, I don't enjoy guitar/singer stuff, not enough going on in it for me. It's not crappy or anything like that (but the guitar tuning is bugging me, either it's that or the two panned guitars are having little conflict moments or something). Anyway, it's okay.

Vom Vorton I'ts okay, but this to me sounds like someone who is about 30 songs into the "write 100 songs and then start over". The chorus energy is good, that got powerful and I liked that. I don't think I like the 16th note hihat, it makes me feel like a late 70's.. oh..it's done. re-start... anyway.. it sets up this late 70's early 80's feel but then... yeah, this definitely has that feel. I think what it is.. is that it's an okay song, but it sounds like another filler track on the album.. no hook to grab me and pull me in, something I'm gonna find myself humming later on. I feel like I know your voice for some reason. I like the "ooo hhhooohhh" s . Where you going for a clash or bowie thing with this? I REALLY like the chorus part that's hot ,but the verses are ...sorry, kinda bland to me. Not bad. It's okay.

James Owens:
So... sounds like you put different lyrics to Copperhead Road. You know what, it's pretty good, although messy and the bass feels too hot. I like that change up after the little bridge.. and the pull offs are cool, it seemed pretty derivative off the top though... I'd consider working that part with a bit of a different melody so you don't smoother your song in what feels lik...and it ended. Well, it was short. This felt like a sketch book of someone's idea, and just when it was going to get to the good par.... Not bad, I enjoyed the playing.

hot Pink Halo Everyone gets a participation ribbon at somepoint. Here's the thing, I dont' want to shit on you doing this.. .writing songs, working on playing, etc.. .but while it's well recorded, it's not well played. The guitar seems out of tune, the singing melody is not in key with the chord structure, the only part feels rhythmically together is the bass. .. what is that.. is that.. an accordion.. no.. something that isn't working though. How is this recorded well but ... yeah. I think my review is... a cliche. That cliche about "write a 100 songs and then start over"... thing. If I was working with you, I'd get you to wood shed your parts OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Cause the sound is there, and the singer has a nice sound to their voice...but.. sorry, it's not well done.

Amby Moho Even though the drums sound like they are phasing all over the place.. this starts out with a feel.. Oh yeah.. I dig this.. it's gritty.. it's groovy... it feels like.. a feel lol... I got nothing to say about it beyond I REALLY like that main groove. It doesn't sound like it, but it reminds me of the Fun Lovin Crimminals in feeling.. .and that lead section.. .NICE.. is .. is that the first melody I've heard someone use in this fight beyond vocals?? It's certainly the first one that stuck out. This is FUCKING GOOD.

Clavikill: I REALLY wanted to write a douchy review and pretend I hated the fuck out of this (cause I do it's terrible) but thing is.. I know this guy right? I kinda have a crush on him kinda sorta. I was once in his bedroom, but that's a long time ago and he introduced me to RATM that day though so that's why I remember it. I LOOOOVVVVEEEE Check your head.. .and this has a lot of that style of hip hop for me.. but thing is, I've heard this voice on and off.. I mean, again, fucking terrible, amirght? Who sings about a fucking fish anyway? he doesn't even have any REEL LIFE EXPERIENCE with fish. I once saw him sit on a beach and he didn't even get in the water.. but sure man "just keep swimming " you fucking hypocrite (fuck that terrible break down sounds just godawful .. and that's enough of that. Mike, when are you going to make a serious album man? ) Dude.... I am laughing all the way through this.. thing. The cowbell is genius though. And MY SUB LOVES IT.. I had to take the ball gag out to decypher what that gurgling noise was...but sure enough, loved the bottom end on your little nemo. GOD damn I love your delivery. Yeah, THE BREAKDOWN!!! I want to do a whole album like this some day and have some tell me it's not 1994 but whatever. WELL DONE. Of course, I'm biased, but I love this on many levels. I haven't heard any of your stuff in over a year, I need to go and listen to some.. .that just keep swimming hook.. is soooo good. You fucking know the pocket man.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Leaf wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:32 pm
hot Pink Halo Everyone gets a participation ribbon at somepoint. Here's the thing, I dont' want to shit on you doing this.. .writing songs, working on playing, etc.. .but while it's well recorded, it's not well played. The guitar seems out of tune, the singing melody is not in key with the chord structure, the only part feels rhythmically together is the bass. .. what is that.. is that.. an accordion.. no.. something that isn't working though. How is this recorded well but ... yeah. I think my review is... a cliche. That cliche about "write a 100 songs and then start over"... thing. If I was working with you, I'd get you to wood shed your parts OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Cause the sound is there, and the singer has a nice sound to their voice...but.. sorry, it's not well done.
Here’s the thing, I don’t want to shit on you doing this ... writing reviews ... but if you can’t tell the difference between a violin and an accordion I’m probably not going to take your comments about anything else too seriously.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

I’m probably not going to get around to writing reviews for everyone this fight, but I’m just relistening to a few of the ones I marked in my podcast app.

The Pannacotta Army: this one kind of stopped me in my tracks the first time I listened to it. I found the intro very tonally pleasing, and I really enjoyed the laid back feel of the song.

Vom Vorton:
This is just very fun and totally in my wheelhouse. I’m glad someone worked “here be dragons” in. I love the energy of the song. I like how the chorus seems to come in underneath the end of the verses. I also think the cover art is absolutely tops. I was thinking about entering something, but didn’t have any clear ideas and decided to look through the art submissions, and when I saw yours it was a clear winner for me.

Toby Roktot: I’ve found myself bristling a little at some of the songs recently that have had clear virus references in them, but the roughness and tone of your voice is just so perfect for this song that I was able to get over my own prejudices there.

Phlebia:
Really enjoyed hearing a more acoustic style submission from you!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Leaf wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:32 pm
To be FAIR (to be fair) (too be fair...) I
TO BE FAIRRRRRRRRR!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Lichen Throat
At first, I was tempted to hit ‘stop’...but, as the song progressed, I found myself tapping my foot and rocking my head to the music !!
This is actually a fun song that one could hum or drone sing while working with your hands. Seriously, I like this ditty. The vocals work perfectly with the music. Love the kinda out of tune vibe.

Phlebia
I bet you like Dave Brubeck and Bella Flack !! This is another very good song. Unfortunately, there are a few really great songs in this fight so, alas, another strong ‘also ran’...
Like Vom Vorton’s song, this one kept me interested the whole way through.
Thanks for submitting, enjoyable ...

Berkeley Social Scene
You guys suck !!!! No, you don’t..jkn.
Actually, you guys are so consistent and good every damn week that you fall into the New England Patriots syndrome of ‘love to hate’.
As always, the band is solid and pushes the song to the next level. While the vocals are good, I would love to hear you guys with a Dave Grohl dude up front. As musicians, you are every bit as good as the Foos, but, if there are any limits to your sound, it’s the vocals ( and, the guitars cold be a little more dirty). Of course, this is true for about 99% of bands.

Vom Vorton
This is really a good song and has a cool, surfer, beach vibe.
In any other fight, or, if not for the Army and Pig jr., I believe this is the winner. As on now, this is a very strong third or maybe tied for second.
Now, for the buts... vocals could be a little more pronounced, not so blended in with the instruments. I’m listening on a Bose surround. And one other thing...maybe a little less reverb ? Haha, I know, I know...I’m the last one that should be criticizing the reverb !!!
Nice song, thanks !!

In summary, my votes go for the Army and the Pig...
Oh crap, says my votes have already been counted...Red voted earlier and she has cast for the Army and ME ... oh well, she’s my wife and I love her...
Cya
Tob
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Pannacotta Army wins!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Congrats to you and your army! Very well deserved, excellent song.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Yea !!! Congrats Pannacotta !!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Well I'm shocked.*

*Not remotely shocked.

Congrats!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

My favorite of the fight won. Probably just coincidence but it makes me happy. Congratz.

thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Congrats to The Pannacotta Army! well deserved victory
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

crumpart wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:58 pm

Here’s the thing, I don’t want to shit on you doing this ... writing reviews ... but if you can’t tell the difference between a violin and an accordion I’m probably not going to take your comments about anything else too seriously.

If you are just making a clever joke back, and actually do take constructive criticism seriously, fantastic.
If you are "being serious", then it's clear you don't take your own work seriously.

There is not liking something for genre based reasons, and that's just how it is sometimes. We all come from different backgrounds, needs, experience, and therefore we will have different art we like or don't like. That is not the case with my review of your work.
Are you aware of "Dunning-Kruger"? This concept has been around for a number of years now.

If someone knows the concept, and can't sit back and recognize times (with a skill) that they have been incompetent... I got news for that person, you are incompetent.
Not dumb. Not un-intelligent. Just un-skilled.
No one starts out competent.

Edited for a poor attitude.
Last edited by Leaf on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

You know what.. that was too blunt, too far, I can be an ass sometimes.
I'm not directing that at you personally but at memories of experiences with others.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Toby Roktot wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:06 am
Phlebia
I bet you like Dave Brubeck and Bella Flack !!
Well...sort of? I'm familiar with both of them (to the point where I've had conversations in the middle of the gym with my neighbor about Dave Brubeck's work), and I've seen Bela Fleck in concert once.

But when it comes to jazz, I'm far more of a post-bop and free jazz kind of fellow. I do enjoy some fusion from time to time. :)
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Hot Pink Halo, I'd like to introduce you to Leaf and Songfight 2005.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Phlebia wrote...(in part)
...” But when it comes to jazz, I'm far more of a post-bop and free jazz kind of fellow. I do enjoy some fusion from time to time.”

Cool, I’ve never seen Bella in person.... I like Brubeck, too.
Usually when I mention another artist, I’m mostly just indicating a feeling or memory as I listen to the new song. And, about every time it’s a compliment from me. I love to have an association from one song to another. Makes me remember things maybe forgotten or, not considered for a while.
Thanks to you and everyone else’s song that sparked that memory in this old brain.
Cya
Tob
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Leaf wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:54 pm
crumpart wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:58 pm

If you are just making a clever joke back, and actually do take constructive criticism seriously, fantastic.
If you are "being serious", then it's clear you don't take your own work seriously.

There is not liking something for genre based reasons, and that's just how it is sometimes. We all come from different backgrounds, needs, experience, and therefore we will have different art we like or don't like. That is not the case with my review of your work.
Are you aware of "Dunning-Kruger"? This concept has been around for a number of years now.

If someone knows the concept, and can't sit back and recognize times (with a skill) that they have been incompetent... I got news for that person, you are incompetent.
Not dumb. Not un-intelligent. Just un-skilled.
No one starts out competent.

Edited for a poor attitude.
I do take constructive criticism seriously, but you seem to take the concept of “criticism” literally: it does not necessarily mean you get to just shit on people’s work. There are ways to say the same things that you said without sounding like an absolute arsehole (read: I’m not saying that you are an arsehole, just that you sounded like one in most of the reviews, not just mine). The first step is that if you’re going to take the time to write out reviews for people, and I appreciate that the amount you wrote takes a lot of time, take the extra time then to edit so they have the best punctuation and spelling you can manage. Stream of consciousness doesn’t necessarily mean you’re only allowed to use ellipses. If you’re hell bent on pulling other people up for their sloppiness, it’s best not to be sloppy in your delivery of that criticism.

Secondly, I don’t need people just to come out blazing pointing out deficiencies. I know what my deficiencies are for the most part and I’m working on improving them over time. For example, I know that I’m not the worlds best guitarist and that I’m using a cheap guitar with poor intonation. It’s what I’ve got to use right now, and I know I should probably pay more attention when I’m playing it, but unfortunately, when writing a song in a week, I don’t have the luxury of going away somewhere and workshopping things over and over and over and over until they’re perfect. We’re not producing things for albums here, we’re producing things for Songfight. There are ways to say that my guitar sounds out of tune to you without sounding rude. For example, if I was writing your review for me, the first thing I’d edit would be to move your comments about what you actually like about the song to the top, then talk about the things you think are off and how improving those would better support the positive things about the song.

The third thing is to know what you’re talking about. My comment about the violin/accordion was intended as a joke, giving it back to you with the same attitude you used in the review of my work, but also intended to be an illustration of that point that you don’t necessarily know everything. If you’re only going to list things that you think are wrong, you should be able to back that up, and if you can’t even identify a pretty normal instrument, why should I trust what you’ve said about anything else you’ve previously indicated is wrong? If you’re only going to point out deficiencies, at least start by getting all your facts right. You say my melody is out of key with my chord progression. I know it’s not. Does it follow the chord progression slavishly? Absolutely not. Do I want it to? Again, absolutely not. To me, that kind of writing is boring and one of my intentions going into this song was to try and make my melody more adventurous, as in the past people have mentioned that I tend to stick around the same configuration of chord tones. Again, if you don’t think the melody works, which is a perfectly acceptable viewpoint, you could have said the same thing in a more constructive way.

I don’t care if the history of this place was people ripping into each other without thought back in 2005. I have a sense of humour, I promise, but I also don’t think that being an arsehole just for the sake of it is necessarily funny.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

Thanks peoples - just glad to be writing and recording again really - the win is the half a glacé cherry on top of the iced bun
Hoping to be more regular at this
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

This would be a good time to show my appreciate for the reviews. I got a lot of love this time around and I greatly appreciate it.

re: Bella Fleck - Since no-one asked, I saw the flecktones several times in the 90's. One of our go to shows for a while. At one of them, they had a young guy (high school senior, I think) with them playing Soprano sax. He'd gotten up on stage with them in St. Louis and followed them to perform the next night here in Columbia, MO. He was good. They were good.

sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Pig: good show, eh? Yeah I caught them at a free concert in Knoxville TN sometime in the mid 00s. Either 06, 07, or 08, couldn't tell you which. Maybe twice, I don't remember. They used to book them and associated acts fairly regularly; I know I saw Victor Wooten twice at the same concert series.

Speaking of "things no one asked" : I'm assuming it's the melodic, kind of smooth pseudo-fretless bass tone I've got that brought up the comparison. It's basically just upper register playing using both pickups evenly on my Ibanez, but most of the tone comes from the Boss dc-2w dimension pedal.

Best sounding subtle stereo chorus I'm aware of (subjective opinion, I know)