Internet Radio (or jukebox) for websites

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Internet Radio (or jukebox) for websites

Post by thehipcola »

Hey everyone,

I've been searching around for solutions for internet radio broadcasting (as if I had something to offer.. :) ), for no other reason than I've always been fascinated with pirate radio and independant broadcasting. Well, passingly interested anyhow...

I digress. In searching how to use Shoutcast, I discovered another cool solution for something similar, called Andromeda. This is a pretty slick little jukebox that you can incorporate into your site to share your media with the world.

Anyone ever tried this? I'm using the demo right now, it's pretty nifty.

That is all.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Internet Radio (or jukebox) for websites

Post by roymond »

TheHipCola wrote:Hey everyone,

I've been searching around for solutions for internet radio broadcasting (as if I had something to offer.. :) ), for no other reason than I've always been fascinated with pirate radio and independant broadcasting. Well, passingly interested anyhow...

I digress. In searching how to use Shoutcast, I discovered another cool solution for something similar, called Andromeda. This is a pretty slick little jukebox that you can incorporate into your site to share your media with the world.

Anyone ever tried this? I'm using the demo right now, it's pretty nifty.

That is all.
I used Andromeda for a while. It just enables streaming for a directory of files. Hardly broadcast or radio in nature. But sort of cool for bringing that PHP dynamism home. I found it worked inconsistantly across browsers so I scrapped it on the new site.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Whoops! I should have been clearer, I meant to say that I found it while looking for radio broadcasting solutions, not that it was one. I agree, it's not very broadcast or radio in nature. It seems rather nifty though, and made me re-examine what exactly I want to accomplish. (ie, do I have time to dedicate to 'broadcasting', or do I just want to be able to neatly present stream-on-demand content).

Thanks for sharing your experience though..that's really what I was after.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

All you need for basic streaming-on-demand is to generate an m3u file, which is just a list of URLs to the mp3 files. That's probably all that Andromeda does.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

That, and it makes a nice looking page organizing all of your media content with nice little play buttons. It's skinned so you have a degree of flexibility with it's appearance. You can restrict access by using a login function. You can click through all the files to make different playlists when you want to...or use the whole list on random. I'm just using right now for my own mp3 collection, so I can listen at work...but I'll probably integrate into my website design better whenever I have time to figure that stuff out. There are some cool features when you do that as to how it shows on your page etc....

I have to say for $40, it's a pretty cool little application. I guess for me it's the packaging it gives to my music collection that I like best. That and the no-brain-required setup and customizationability.