Organize yourselfs.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

A Friendly Collaborator

Post by wages »

I've got something that I currently feel pretty stoked about. I just kinda sat down to make a reminder to do this song (seriously), but then I got an idea and it goes like the below. I'm gunna sleep on the basic music idea, but it seems like it might make a good upbeat tune with a memorable melody. It could possibly really rock. PM me if you think you might be interested. :)

P.S. I'd be interested in singing for someone else if they need a vocalist. I don't mind trying different styles. :)

A Friendly Reminder

CHORUS
Em
you got to see
G
its up to me

C Am D G
I'll only remember with a friendly reminder

VERSE 1
your spend your time a waiting
for that very important date, and
there is no denying
ya need a Post-It in your mind

so why don'tcha grab a pen
and grab a little note paper
and get to jottin'
before it gets forgettin'

Obviously, more lyrics to come. I've got to sleep!
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Hokay, here is a very rough demo:
http://www.philwages.com/music/friendly ... rdemo1.mp3

I woke up this morning with a sore neck and raspy throat, so I probably won't be singing for the next couple of days. :( I did, however, go ahead and lay down the above demo against the better judgment of my subconscious. On the 2nd verse, that is the first time I ever sang it, so I realize the melody doesn't match the verse 1 melody. If I can collab this with someone, that should be easy to fix. Anyways, while I'm envisioning a rocking tune, I would be interested in different styles, so LMK if you are remotely interested. Peace!

A Friendly Reminder

INTRO: Chorus chords (Em-G...C-Am-D-G)

VERSE 1 (Em-G-Am-D)
I spend my time a waiting
for that very important date, and
there is no denying
I need a Post-It in my mind

so why don't I grab a pen
and grab a little note paper
and get to jottin'
before it gets forgettin'

CHORUS
Em
you got to see
G
its up to me
C Am D G

VERSE 2
it's up to the moment
the place of thoughts unspoken
it leaves me to wonder
then I see a reminder

so now I'll know that today
when I'm on my merry way
where I am goin'
even if I'd forgotten

BRIDGE Em-G x2, Am-D
it's always on my mind
the memory I can't find
but there's no need to whine
I'll get it in time, some time

don'tcha know some people say
herbs can help your memory
but I'm not taking any
cuz I got yellow paper o plenty

CHORUS
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Here is a much better demo (NOTE: I'm still feelin' sick and I shouldn't even be recording this right now, but I'm getting anxious and I need to do *something*):
http://www.philwages.com/music/Friendly ... rdemo2.mp3

I'm really diggin' this version and I think it could be done really well with a full band, or even just drums and electric guitar. This'll be my final open-ended call for a collab. By tomorrow, I'll have to start beggin' some people or this will be guy'n'guitar.

If it ends up "guy'n'guitar", does anyone have any constructive suggestions on how to make it the best it could be (Aside from "don't do it" :))?
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Wages wrote:(NOTE: I'm still feelin' sick and I shouldn't even be recording this right now...
I think you sound a bit better when you're sick :lol:
Just giving you a hard time, man, cuz there was no nice way to say it. But really, you got some good rasp going on.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

I like this. I'm seeing potential here. I'm not committing to anything yet, but I'm seeing a power trio thing working for this pretty well (how creative of me, right?). Would you be interested in letting me record all the instruments for this and sending it over for you to put your vocals back on top of? I'd probably stick in a guitar solo before the bridge. Other changes to the arrangement would be pretty minor. The changes to the feel work well, but I'd probably want to even out the tempo.
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Lord of Oats wrote:I like this. I'm seeing potential here. I'm not committing to anything yet, but I'm seeing a power trio thing working for this pretty well (how creative of me, right?). Would you be interested in letting me record all the instruments for this and sending it over for you to put your vocals back on top of? I'd probably stick in a guitar solo before the bridge. Other changes to the arrangement would be pretty minor. The changes to the feel work well, but I'd probably want to even out the tempo.
I'd be interested. I do think it needs to be around the same pace as what I have here (I'm noting your comments about fast tempo songs) or I will have trouble singing it, but by all means please even out the tempo (I don't play to a metronome, but rather to my internal metrognome which is erratic ;)). Changing tempo in different parts, however, doesn't bother me if you can <i>swing</i> it (see the outro for example)! (budump bump chiiiii!)

But seriously folks, I'm down with it. I just need my voice to come back stronger in the next couple of days. :cry: You can send me a link, or email me your music when you've got it. If you decide not to do it, post here ASAP just in case someone else wants do the tune. :lol: Otherwise, it'll (hopefully) be a better take of the above.

Peace
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

signboy wrote:
Wages wrote:(NOTE: I'm still feelin' sick and I shouldn't even be recording this right now...
I think you sound a bit better when you're sick :lol:
Just giving you a hard time, man, cuz there was no nice way to say it. But really, you got some good rasp going on.
Actually, for some songs [EDIT: coincidence?] I think I do sound better when I'm sick. The last time I sang like this was about 4 years ago! I think I have 1 crappy song recorded that way...but man my voice was cool!
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Wages wrote:
Lord of Oats wrote:I like this. I'm seeing potential here. I'm not committing to anything yet, but I'm seeing a power trio thing working for this pretty well (how creative of me, right?). Would you be interested in letting me record all the instruments for this and sending it over for you to put your vocals back on top of? I'd probably stick in a guitar solo before the bridge. Other changes to the arrangement would be pretty minor. The changes to the feel work well, but I'd probably want to even out the tempo.
I'd be interested. I do think it needs to be around the same pace as what I have here (I'm noting your comments about fast tempo songs) or I will have trouble singing it, but by all means please even out the tempo (I don't play to a metronome, but rather to my internal metrognome which is erratic ;)). Changing tempo in different parts, however, doesn't bother me if you can <i>swing</i> it (see the outro for example)! (budump bump chiiiii!)

But seriously folks, I'm down with it. I just need my voice to come back stronger in the next couple of days. :cry: You can send me a link, or email me your music when you've got it. If you decide not to do it, post here ASAP just in case someone else wants do the tune. :lol: Otherwise, it'll (hopefully) be a better take of the above.

Peace
It's hard for me to coordinate all the different feels and tempos, since I'm acting as an entire band, so I've got to even everything out, get rid of all the pauses, and tighten it up. You know, and I don't know how to make my click track speed up. It sounds like you've kind of got a shuffly thing going on in the verses, but I think it'll fit the other parts better, and be much easier for me, if I go with a more straight 4/4 rock beat on the verses. I love your chorus and I don't want to touch the syncopation there. I probably won't do an accelerando very well, and I'm always kind of bitter when a song speeds up and then just ends, so I'm going to look for another way to build a little tension there. I hope I can do this without stomping all over the rhythm you've written. If this sounds okay, I'll get started now, and I'll record my own song later this week.

[Edit: Should I use acoustic guitar in this? I want some big electric guitar either way, but this seems like kind of a light rock number.]
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Lord of Oats wrote:It's hard for me to coordinate all the different feels and tempos, since I'm acting as an entire band, so I've got to even everything out, get rid of all the pauses, and tighten it up. It sounds like you've kind of got a shuffly thing going on in the verses, but I think it'll fit the other parts better, and be much easier for me, if I go with a more straight 4/4 rock beat on the verses. I love your chorus and I don't want to touch the syncopation there. I probably won't do an accelerando very well, and I'm always kind of bitter when a song speeds up and then just ends, so I'm going to look for another way to build a little tension there. I hope I can do this without stomping all over the rhythm you've written. If this sounds okay, I'll get started now, and I'll record my own song later this week.
Yeah, lets give it a shot. I can try to record acoustic guitar (to your mix) if you need it, but that is up to you: I'd prefer to just do vocals. ;)

Have fun and send me a demo as soon as ya can!

Phil
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Okay, I've started in. Here's how this is going to work. I'm going to lay down acoustic guitar for the foundation, and then build the power trio around that. We'll see how it sounds in the mix. It can be turned down or removed if it doesn't work, but I think it will. That should give it the extra little bit it needs, so the electric guitar can do its thing in the solo section without having to worry about filling in the rhythm, yielding an arrangement that could be realistically performed by four people. However, the acoustic is going to just be doing chord strum, so your riff thing is basically dead. I think it'll work without it, because the feel will now be supplied by the drums, and we can add interest by bringing in the other instruments instead of using the arpeggio things. Eh, we'll see. Hopefully, I can have this done before I have to go in to work, so you can work with it by tomorrow.
veGetar Ianra Ge
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by veGetar Ianra Ge »

So hey! This is how you secretly collaborate on songs and surprise the new guy. cool.
Haikus are easy
but they don't always make sense
refrigerator.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Okay, update. I've still got to track one more instrument and then mix, and I'll do that as soon as I get up in the afternoon. It'll at least give you an idea of what's going on, and you might even want to use it as is if you're okay with my arrangement.
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

veGetar Ianra Ge wrote:So hey! This is how you secretly collaborate on songs and surprise the new guy. cool.
Lord of Oats wrote:Okay, update. I've still got to track one more instrument and then mix, and I'll do that as soon as I get up in the afternoon. It'll at least give you an idea of what's going on, and you might even want to use it as is if you're okay with my arrangement.
Are you guys in the same band? It's just that, you joined within a day of each other and you both live in Florida. I may have missed where this was already covered. :)

LOO, sounds great. I'm eager to hear what you've got. But what I really wanna is... what do you do that allows you to sleep until the afternoon!?
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Okay, I'm done for now. I had problems with the electric guitar. It's a bit rough in spots, but I'm not going to spend any more time on it, with the possibility still out there that you won't like it. I don't want this to be too out in the open, so I'll send you information about where the file is in a pm, along with a couple of details about the arrangement.
veGetar Ianra Ge
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by veGetar Ianra Ge »

Wages wrote:
veGetar Ianra Ge wrote:So hey! This is how you secretly collaborate on songs and surprise the new guy. cool.
Lord of Oats wrote:Okay, update. I've still got to track one more instrument and then mix, and I'll do that as soon as I get up in the afternoon. It'll at least give you an idea of what's going on, and you might even want to use it as is if you're okay with my arrangement.
Are you guys in the same band? It's just that, you joined within a day of each other and you both live in Florida. I may have missed where this was already covered. :)

LOO, sounds great. I'm eager to hear what you've got. But what I really wanna is... what do you do that allows you to sleep until the afternoon!?

Lord and I know each other outside of songfight. We met at a venue and he sent me the link to this godly place when he discovered it himself. We aren't in a band per se, but we've had some collaborative work in the past.
Haikus are easy
but they don't always make sense
refrigerator.
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

veGetar Ianra Ge wrote: Lord and I know each other outside of songfight. We met at a venue and he sent me the link to this godly place when he discovered it himself. We aren't in a band per se, but we've had some collaborative work in the past.
Ahh. Makes sense. :)
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Have you gotten my thing?
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Lord of Oats wrote:Have you gotten my thing?
Yup. I sent you a message moments ago... I think we've got this:
Lord of Oats Feat Wages or LOW
or Wages of Oats
or Wagoats
or Lord of Wats
or Funky Oats
or ???

yeah!

EDIT: Label damn it! We MUST have a LAAA----BUUUUUL!
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Check your e-mail.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Help! I think I need real drums for a hard rock song - pm me if you can help. I would probably need the track by 9 pm pacific in order to mix tonight. If not I'll have to use my midi ones.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com