Song Fight MN

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Phil. Redmon. wrote:Somebody in my house is in.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

is that little phil?

where's the pix of the show?
Hi!
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

jack shite wrote:is that little phil?

where's the pix of the show?
That was the show! The cute meter went off the chart and we all bowed to the child star.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

jack shite wrote:where's the pix of the show?
Coming Soon.....
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Bolio »

Future post - all my show pics in one folder. mebbe.
Last edited by Bolio on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

I've posted some lo-fi "Voice of Platoliostess Nau" recordings (8khz, mono) in case you're interested. Keep in mind these were recorded using only a $65 mp3 player.

But it should hold you over until Dylan's ready to share his great live recordings. I'll post the other Frozen Waste tracks within the next day; if there's anything you want me to post, please PM.

Thanks to everyone in attendance for being such awesome musicians and human beings. I have the utmost respect for you all.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

The pictures are awesome. Although Lil'Redmon beats all of you in cuteness factor.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Bolio »

What an experience!!! First annual Minnesota Songfight is a resounding success.

Many thanks again to Tyler, Tanya, Eric & Brent for making the trip out to the Twin Cities. Also to my pal JL for covering the drum parts on short notice & doing an extraordinary job.

I would also like to echo Plat's setiments about the Good Musicianship & Kindness of Songfighters. It translates from the Virtual Songfight Community to the Real World 100%.

Hey JB we DID IT!!!! Anyone who gets the urge to hold a Songfight show in your town, Go For It!!!! You will NOT be disappointed.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Bolio wrote:Many thanks again to ... Eric ... for making the trip out to the Twin Cities.
you're welcome, and thank you.
for anyone interested, i made it home okay (just got back from work) and i am totally exhausted. will post more at a later time. probably.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Thank you to everyone in the Twin Cities area for being such gracious and fun hosts.

Fried especially deserves a round of applause for allowing us to abuse his elaborate sound system (including practically insisting that I play his brand new, mint condition x*$1000 Gibson electric instead of my 3*$100 acoustic), his tireless sound engineering job, having us all over to his house for pizza and movies, etc. etc. etc.

And I would also like to thank JL for drumming so long and so well. Jason is a great guy. Dylan and his band, Gold Standard, not only rock, but have an insane genius for a keyboard player. And Fried (the band) is made up of only the friendliest people imaginable. The Voice Inside Your Head is a true musician. Plat and his fiancee are delightful (Plat's performance smile is infectious).

I had a wonderful time meeting the people behind the pseudonyms and recordings. I look forward to fighting more with all of you.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Thank you everyone that made this happen. That was the most fun musically I have had in a long time. I am so glad to hear the Frozen waste song. Thanks Plat! I think you guys should record that for real, it is sweet. My vote for the song fight is going to the drum solo of the "Heck Yeahs."

My reviews:

tviyh: You rock! Solid Bass, it doesn't get much sweeter. I am just glad the Rays didn't bit off your fingers and even more glad that we don't have to see the two kids on the block again!

Plat: Sweet performances. My wife loved your solo song. "Jimmy Hat." You really should think twice before taking rides with strangers. heh.

Dylan: Completely blew everyone away. Your band is so good; I think it chased all the ghosts of bad performances out of the Hat Trick! I hope everyone got home safe :) Your singing of "Will the Martians eat us?" was the highlight of your performances for me.

Bolio: You sure can tickle those keys. As usual, a solid performance from you. Thanks for sitting in with Fried and giving that extra oomph!

Mostess: You were the mostess pleasant surprise. Your vocals are great, your improv was great, your music was great. I think I think I can sum up your performance… I can’t seem to find the word.
Thanks for the help singing, I feel comfortably numb about the whole thing.

Tawny: Thanks for being a part of this. You managed to keep a smile going most of the time. Next time we will have to incorporate your awesome art! Go Vikes. Heh.

The Redmons Thanks for showing support. I am sure I am not alone. Just showing up added to the fervor. Your Child is adorable and we look forward to hearing him on future tracks!
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tawny »

This was a fantastic (fan-hat-stick, for Plat) trip. I had so much fun and it was great meeting the people behind the SongFight bands. And I even got to play a cowbell for one song! :!:

Thanks to Bolio for excellent directions to various Minneapolis locales and being a great leader. Fried was a wonderful host both at his home and on stage. Jason the drummer's girlfriend (i'm sorry her name is escaping me now) was nice enuf to keep me company during the performances, too.

And the cats at Bolio's and Fried's for the being the sweetest things ever! ;)

The first-ever SongFight Minn. was a resounding success IMO -- I can only hope there will be more in future years. :)

I took a bunch of pix with Plat's camera ... I think we'll post a few this week.

Tawny
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Bolio »

Tawny wrote: the drummer's girlfriend (i'm sorry her name is escaping me now)
Julie
Tawny wrote:And the cats at Bolio's
You were supposed to take one home with you!! :roll: j/k....
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Excellent job, guys, looks like you had a lot of fun.

Dylan, I'm coming in the night to steal your brass section away from you and keep them locked in my basement.
Nau,D
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Nau,D »

abecedarian wrote:Excellent job, guys, looks like you had a lot of fun.

Dylan, I'm coming in the night to steal your brass section away from you and keep them locked in my basement.
Well, they are already locked up in my basement so good luck. Im doing everything I can to make these guys feel good down there, Id hate for them to start getting restless and try to find a way out. If you do steal them, Ill warn you right now, your monthly beer bill will probably cause you to go broke. Plus, they dont clean up after themselves and they smell pretty bad, especially the trumpet guy.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Bolio »

abecedarian wrote:Horn Section
Fortunately they sound even better than they look! Can't wait for Dylan to get the live recording mastered.
Nau,D
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Nau,D »

Bolio wrote:
abecedarian wrote:Horn Section
Fortunately they sound even better than they look! Can't wait for Dylan to get the live recording mastered.
Im hoping I have time to master it tomorrow.
There is a lot there so it will take some time.
D
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Bolio wrote:they sound even better than they look!
definitely. i meant to ask (dylan) if there was any possibility of the band putting a cd together... because i'd totally buy one.

although i suspect like most bands of this style, it might not quite translate from the live experience to a recording 100%, but i still think it would sound pretty good.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

Here are the 3 other lo-fi Frozen Waste recordings for you instant-gratification folks. The supergroup's improv of the title song can still be found with the rest of their set (from what I'm told, this is the only surviving copy of the improv).
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

Some more pictures of the event; the cameralady was a bit platcentric, and I can't imagine why.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

A frikkin horn section?! You mid-western folks just had to go and one up us west coast fighter's, didn't you. Well gloves are off now kiddies! Next time I'm going on with a full mariachi band!

I looks (and sounds) like the show was awesome. Good stuff guys! The live shows are really my favorite part of the Songfight experience, so it makes me happy to see another area get on the live fight map.
White people, is you funky?
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Plat wrote:Here are the 3 other lo-fi Frozen Waste recordings for you instant-gratification folks. The supergroup's improv of the title song can still be found with the rest of their set (from what I'm told, this is the only surviving copy of the improv).
It is the only copy. Are you guys gonna perform it in studio? I would love to have a good copy of it. It was way sweet!
I'm Fried BIOTCH!