The Independence Day Double Shot of Secret Hxaro

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

jack wrote:heuristics inc....best singing i think i've heard from you. great job......
thanks jack! think it's improving, slowly ;)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

oops
Last edited by j$ on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

It seems a bit remis of me considering i normally have such an enormous gob not to rhapsodise about this. I am only silent because I am stunned, still. Thanks everybody - makes me very happy. They are all my favourites of course, for different reasons, some obvious, some very precise (like Future Boy changing the lyric to 'Future Boy Gonna Rock Ya', while Deshead didn't change the Cashpoint reference - both brilliant.) The 'The Meek Shall Inherit Fuck All' moment in the Hell Yeahs, King Arthurs realisation of 'Run Faster' as it was intended to sound, Starfingers weird and fun take on 'The One' which captures the real me behind all the posturing and politisation, Bill's beautiful trippy take on 'Wednesday', Jack's turning of 'Between the Rain' into a Jack song and making it work, hearing 'Trailblazin' rock like it should have done, Bolio's great cover - two brilliant piano-led versions of my songs - you should do an album! A-bomb taking Hey Ruth and hitting it round the head until it sounds like the punk song it clearly is! Cool! Future Boy for tackling my third ever sf entry and making it beautiful, especially the harmonies on the bridge. Nyjim's smart and messy at the same time reimagining of 'Pig Sticker', Jim Tyrell's (second?) version of one of my own favourite songs 'Week Without Ears', the guitar solo that slides into 'Let It Be', when Bell Green starts layering up the chorus at the end of 'Hands Up' .... If I miss anyone here, it's just 'cos I'm tired. I loved them all! These and more moments actually made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck - the choices of songs and the ones that didn't make it... the list goes on and so do I ...

I want to pm everybody with a little thanks, and I will; it will just take me some time. Certainly over the next week I should get round to you all. In advance, thanks. A lot.

j$
Last edited by j$ on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey johnny, i think i butchered a few of your lyrics, unintentionally of course. your accent, while an endearing part of who you are, gets in the way sometimes for us dumb californians trying to decipher your words. and i couldn't very well just ask you now could i?

sorry for the sections i ad-libbed. i tried to at least make it sound similar. :)

i'd bet i wasn't the only one this was a bit of a challenge for.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

I dont' mind at all, Jack - it's all part of the creative process. I find it fascinating hearing how people have pronounced/re-phrased/not changed my "unique" intonations. First listen I did think 'but ... that's not right!" a coupla times, but then I thought "more speed to ya" - I'm not precious about these things :)

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

it helps a bit when the lyrics have been posted :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

I have never failed to post a lyric to any of my songs. Is it my fault drumbella is no more? :)

j$
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

I have started re-posting the old dumbrella lyric thread to the new lyric archive, but I didn't want to overwhelm the new archive with 75 new threads all at once. I created a "lyrics" login and am using that to transfer the things over, since there's no way I can post as the people who originally posted the songs (many of whom aren't songfighting anymore anyway).

I'll try to have all the old lyrics posted in time for the next lovefest, though :-)

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

You're welcome Johnny. I really wanted to revisit your 'A Week Without Ears'. I know I did a cover of it for you once before, but the 'Songfighter Cover Thyself' sidefight that I never quite got around to inspired me to rework what I had done. Plus, I don't think anyone else ever heard it.
Can't wait to dig into the rest of these covers. Great stuff, I'm sure. Enjoy!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I got the lyrics from the SongFight Explorer interface... Plat, I think, wrote that. Yay for him!
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

king_arthur wrote:I have started re-posting the old dumbrella lyric thread to the new lyric archive, but I didn't want to overwhelm the new archive with 75 new threads all at once. I created a "lyrics" login and am using that to transfer the things over, since there's no way I can post as the people who originally posted the songs (many of whom aren't songfighting anymore anyway).

I'll try to have all the old lyrics posted in time for the next lovefest, though :-)

Charles
Charles posted the lyrics for j$'s "From This Day On" from the old board to this one on the exact day I needed them. I had listened and relistened to the song, trying to transcribe it, but there were a few lines, like Jack said that were hard to figure out because of the accent, that I just couldn't get. Thanks, Charles for all or your hard work with the lyric archive project! I did use Plat's interface thingy when finding the "Hey Ruth" lyrics for Phil. That is one awesome tool!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Enjoy, guys! The Loyalty Day song was dreamed up by Erin. I was going to try to do one with her and David, and one by myself, but when we started trying out her idea for redoing 2$ I decided to just focus on that. We got to use Erin's accordion for the first time, which was a fun challenge since I'd never played accordion before. We also debuted my "shaker" (a jar of peppercorns), and Erin finally got to play tambourine. Hopefully we were able to borrow your tambourine without tipping you off that something was up, Ken. ;-) Anyway, thanks to the Hxaro Santa, and thanks to Ken and J$. for the music, and everybody else for the great covers. Yay hxaro!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Better late then never....

There is one more contribution for the Johnny Cashpoint Hxaro - delivered with love to London from Moscow, Idaho via Brisbane, Queensland.

I give to you:

THE CARAVAN-KELLIS EXPERIENCE!

and their interpretation of Johnny Cashpoints'

Elvis In Space
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Can't wait to hear this (when I get home from work) - I've always loved that lyric and that's a combination that's hard to beat! Cashpoint's, btw :)

j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote: Cashpoint's, btw :)

j$
My mistake. I didn't realise you were just one person. I thought you may have been some sort of artistic collective. Your volume of output I had assumed, was eminating from a veritable flounce of Cashpoints.
The Secret-Hxaro Santa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by The Secret-Hxaro Santa »

Caravan Ray wrote:.......My mistake. I didn't realise you were just one person. I thought you may have been some sort of artistic collective. Your volume of output I had assumed, was eminating from a veritable flounce of Cashpoints.
which makes it all that much more impressive. :)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Ha ha ha ha! Awesome - better than the original! Fancy a threesome? (at the next SFLive I mean, of course :)

Paticularly fond of the sesame street la la las, the wedding bells, and Marcus' ultra-cool breakdown!

j$