By the Fruit of Another (I Am Tempted reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

And now the votes from the Balham jury...

Erik Ostrom
Some of the backing sounds a little stilted in places. The spoken style delivery is working for me, I like the changes in the rhythm. Musically, I would have liked a little more variation, but it evokes a mood well.

Forty Second Songs
Well put together fun song. The comedy stylings make it difficult to get beyond that though.

Humbert
The voice at the start reminds me of Bell Green. Five and a half minutes, this needs to be good not to overrstay its welcome. Half way and there's been little change to keep me interested. The speaking bit is okay, though it isn't enough of a change for me.

Josh Woodward
As usual there's nothing I can fault in the craft. I guess I can't see myself as the singer, so it doesn't really grab me. I look forward to when you get finally get angry.

Kelvinator
Ah, The Stooges. The guitar tones are good. The lyrics and the music are a little repetitive, but this is my favourite so far (genre bias I guess).

Max the Cat
The come down after the Kelvinator. The boy (should that be man) and guitar formula is a difficult one to pull off, but your voice and playing are good. This feels more country than folk and that's a good thing in my book. A contender and not too long too.

The Miasmatics (me)
Listening back now, I should have tempered the reverb and the pitch-shifted vocals. It was interesting to try a different style and different sequencer. FWIW The music was an attempt to write in Am without using the I chord, so the music was always tempted to go to it :)

PiGPEN
It could do with a stronger beat and a tighter delivery over the top. The lyrics are okay, but the delivery needs for malice to keep in with the sentiment.

Silent E
Lo-fi production counts against this, but I'm trying to hear the song underneath. I would have used the other voice on the chorus all the way through. The vocals and the music lack dynamic and so interest.

slowRodeo
The guitar reminds me of Wonderwall. The vocals seem to be struggling a little and the strumming pattern could do with some variation. The change to the picking is welcome, but a seems a little abrupt. Approaching halfway and I get the feeling that man and guitar is all I'm going to get. Was there any particular reason to encode at 22khz? it shows promise, but could do with some serious pruning and more dynamic variation.

The Soylent Spuds
This sounds like a fine WreckdoM aperitif. Coming after five minutes of slowRodeo this sounds very lively. No vote, but fun and mercifully brief.

WreckdoM
I think you're either wearing me down or getting more musical. Either way, I quite like this. Nice and chilled out. Obviously it's repetitive and overly long, but strangely listenable.

Top 3
3. Erik Ostrom
2. Kelvinator
1. Max the Cat
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Miasmatics
... The vocals are out of character as well, and kind of destroy the RxW mood you're setting up.
For my benefit and interest, can you explain what you mean by "RxW mood" please?

Cheers, Mr B.
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Rock and Woll?

Is Jim Half a Fudd??
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Andy Balham wrote:For my benefit and interest, can you explain what you mean by "RxW mood" please?
Think he's referring to Raised by Wolves there...

Oh, and glad you enjoyed it, JoS :D

Edit: Halo 2 sounds beautiful. And it's a hoot to play. Wheeeee!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

what the fucks with everyone saying i have suck delivery? you want me to be all mad? im not mad about bush getting re-elected, im sad more than anything. and if i say im tempted to kill him its not out of anger.

Anger is for Republicans.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

PiGPEN wrote:what the fucks with everyone saying i have suck delivery? you want me to be all mad? im not mad about bush getting re-elected, im sad more than anything. and if i say im tempted to kill him its not out of anger.

Anger is for Republicans.
we aren't sayin' it to make you mad... we're sayin' it... cause your delivery lacks conviction... it's not vocally strong... it's hard to get into rap... when the rapper... is barely rapping... it needs more umph
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

nah thats just cuz i was recording on my home mic...and it weakens everything that comes through it. Im pretty much yelling that song...hard to tell though. if i was recording in the studio i go to youd start gettin itchy nuts from hearing me. (Dont try to comprehend that just accept it)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

PiGPEN wrote:what the fucks with everyone saying i have suck delivery? you want me to be all mad? .... Anger is for Republicans.
Surely this makes you a republican? :)

but ...
Poor \m/ wrote: we aren't sayin' it to make you mad... we're sayin' it... cause your delivery lacks conviction... it's not vocally strong... it's hard to get into rap... when the rapper... is barely rapping... it needs more umph
Ummm, http://www.songfight.org/artistpage.php ... crap-a-lot ... Mr Kettle? :)
Last edited by j$ on Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

PiGPEN wrote:youd start gettin itchy nuts from hearing me
Well hell, man, then make our nuts itch! :wink:

Fury is a forgotten virtue, and party neutral IMO.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

j$ wrote:
PiGPEN wrote:what the fucks with everyone saying i have suck delivery? you want me to be all mad? .... Anger is for Republicans.
Surely this makes you a republican? :)
thats not anger...im never angry. Cant be...Im a Taoist.

...Taoism sucks!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

hahahahahaha... hey that was never to be brought back up again...

hahahahhahahahaha.... that was great stuff :'(

slowRodeo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by slowRodeo »

heres all the problems with my song. i usually record at southwest statistic's house he has his little studio room and it rocks. usually. i decided to record this at 8 on sunday. the guitar is miced straight into the computer. i downloaded a free recording program. not even a mixer. i couldnt listen to my music and record at the same time so i had to play the verse and then record the vocals. really hard, it made it worse than it would have been in the first place. it took me five hours to do just the vocals. and by then i was too tired to redo anything and i copy and pasted the vocals ontop of the guitar track. no mixing what so ever. i am in the process of rerecording, rewriting. it will have a better break. more guitars, a lead line and possibly some piano. it shall kick butt, but i had no time to make it this week. i still enjoy all the reviews. keep them coming. thank you.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous." - Smalltown Mike
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

I don't know what I'm doing.

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Sorry everybody for the long hiatus from the boards, and now...

Max the Cat
What I liked: First, you’re a very talented singer, your voice is rich with emotion and soothing, easy on the ears. I like the message of this song a lot, and obviously half of our country can relate. This song is not my cup of tea but it’s done very well.
What I didn’t like: My interest is tenuous right away as I don’t normally go for this kind of thing, and the second voice burst in the “Tempted by” segments is a little jarring. I’d be interested to hear a version where the chorus is as smooth as the verses.

Humbert
What I liked: Your voice at first is nice, with this low pitched thickness and sarcastic tone to it. The group of voices during the chorus is also real charming. I like how the sharp piano sticks out slightly in the mix, and all the slight nuances (especially the pings during the chorus). The goofy poke at yourself nearing the end is a nice touch.
What I didn’t like: Um, the length of the song, you got a little carried away I think and went into it again too many times. Also when your voice becomes more emotive it’s hard to listen to. I know that’s part of the point, but still. The talking portion is hard to hear and not amusing enough to really be worth including.

The Soylent Spuds
What I liked: Nice band name. Music has a weird franticness to it. It’s fun. I especially like the guitar parts, nearly DEVO, dude.
What I didn’t like: The disjointed nature of the vocals wears me out almost immediately, and doesn’t improve.

PiGPEN
What I liked: That’s a great rap voice. Has me envisioning freestyle rings I see at parties sometimes. It has very natural flow to it and I can’t help but bob my head in time. Nice lyrics, too, sharp, clever, and punctuated by wit. The music works well also and I’m especially fond of the backwards thumps.
What I didn’t like: Your voice is too loud over everything else. The music should get a little more attention and change every once and awhile for added effect. Also: “…fags across the land…” I hate that word immensely, and I think you lose out on the opportunity to say something meaningful about the gay marriage bans by stooping to that level. Don’t say fag, the cold-hearted creeps you’re rapping against say fag.

Josh Woodward
What I liked: You have a very talented voice and an impressive knack for writing A LOT of clever, well-realized lyrics.
What I didn’t like: That being said, this song was sooooooo cookie cutter adult contemporary radio fodder it made me angry.

Kelvinator
What I liked: Man, sweet opening. Sweet everything. Really like that backwards guitar sneaking it’s way in. Love the guitar interplay during the closing solo. This is some solid rock, man. Simple lyrics but they fit perfectly, “Could we get it on?” The high pitched “Temp-ted” . I really dig this.

Forty Second Songs
What I liked: The instruments your using keep making me grin. Every time a new one is introduced I think “Man, that’s perfect!” This has a very natural flow and a playful feel that I find very appealing. I love the layered voices, especially the high pitched “hoo-hoo”. Thank you for a most enjoyable listen.

Silent E
What I liked: The sudden louder, clearer 2nd voice is effective.
What I didn’t like: Lyrics could use some polishing as they are somewhat awkward, and your voice is too flat and lifeless.

Erik Ostrom
What I liked: Nice muted second guitar.
What I didn’t like: Well, nothing really grabs me about this song. It really just drones on without much reason to take notice.

The Miasmatics
What I liked: I like the air organ sounds and the fuzz guitar. The long delay on the piano creates a nice atmosphere.
What I didn’t like: I get lost once the vocals start, they just don’t grab me. The second voice doesn’t help.

slowRodeo
What I liked: Is this all one take? That’s impressive.
What I didn’t like: Every time your singing hits a flat note it makes me cringe in a bad way. The guitar just lifelessly repeats itself for 5 minutes and the vocals do their best to follow suit.

WreckdoM
What I like: Awww, baby, you know what I like about you. With your soft edges and kinky sex talk. When you gettin’ home tonight?
What I didn’t like: I still don’t understand why we had to record this naked.

I'm still undecided between Klevinator and Forty Second Songs. At this hour, folks, it's too close to call. It could still go either way. What this situation needs is one of Dan Rathers backwoods euphemisms.

slowRodeo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by slowRodeo »

that was one take. there are like two bad messups. i meant to put more into it. but was tired so its just on and on guitar.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous." - Smalltown Mike
artsta
A New Player

More reviews...

Post by artsta »

Humbert
This is a very classy song. Great lyrics and some of the most heart felt drumming I have heard in years. My only disappointment was I was waiting for a big complicated jazz chord to jump out in the last verse.

Kelvinator
Man that’s such a hot song. You must get all the chicks. Can you teach me how (to get all the chicks)?

Soylent Spuds
Like it! Bout time somebody put lyrics to computer game music. Great length and nice voice.

The Miasmatics
Like the mood of this song. Reminds me of 4AD music eg This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance etc. Like the scratchy guitars too. Could almost be scratchier but that’s just me. I got real bad guitar itch!

PigPen
How can such a beautiful voice be so bitter? You are very articulate and extremely talented. Perhaps a little misdirected. I would love to hear you do a song with a more universal/humane sentiment – that’s if you got any love left in your heart. Keep it up.

Erik Ostrom
I like Robert Fripp/King Crimson and there are bits of this that remind me of them. Like it.

Josh Woodward
A strong song made even better by fantastic production. I almost get the feeling that the song was written just as an excuse to do a mad production. I also like the dynamics in the arrangement.

Silente & Slow Rodea
Both sound a little too serious for me. But that’s just me.

Forty Second Song
Start is really good as you really capture the listeners attention. This song is a real journey from the TV room (Im going bald like my dad) to the campfire (you belong…) Nice one.

Wreckdom
The best thing about this song is its Totally Wreckdom. Its got its own unique sound, vibe and feeling yet its not too obscure. Because of its uniqueness, this one maintains interest even after many listens.

Max the Cat
You know it’s a good song when you listen to it and while listening to it you totally forget where you are. Now where the hell was I……shit I am at work…gotta go…
aka Kelvinator
SaxManRunning!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Re: Quick style reviews

Post by SaxManRunning! »

j$ wrote:This sentence is not quite making sense to me, but if it means what i think it does, that's cool. But don't assume that all fast electronic music is for dancing to.
I think what I meant, was: Techno is for Dancing in pits... and car racing. Throw in some sub par vocals and leave out the crazy part and it isn't good for either. So: Good (fast, crazy) techno=dancing and driving. Bad Techno=worthless.

Hope this makes more sence.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

SaxManRunning wrote:
j$ wrote:So: Good (fast, crazy) techno=dancing and driving. Bad Techno=worthless.

Hope this makes more sence.
It certainly does. I disagree, but it's your opinion, so cool ...

j$
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote: “…fags across the land…” I hate that word immensely, and I think you lose out on the opportunity to say something meaningful about the gay marriage bans by stooping to that level. Don’t say fag, the cold-hearted creeps you’re rapping against say fag.
yeah im not fond of that word either...or any use of homosexuality as an insult. but i think it fit for what i was trying to get across, the absurdity of Bush getting voted back in.
artsta wrote: How can such a beautiful voice be so bitter? You are very articulate and extremely talented. Perhaps a little misdirected. I would love to hear you do a song with a more universal/humane sentiment – that’s if you got any love left in your heart. Keep it up.
ouch. any love left in my heart. Never said i would kill him...just tempted. And im tempted to because i love mankind and dont want to see more peoples massacred. Also as my self appointed task as Taoist poet its my duty to in both fact and fiction publicize the misdeeds of the powerful and to ridicule the devious, arrogant, pompous and cruel. Im afraid no-one pays attention to humane stories, stories are for warriors, sufferers and abusers. The key is to denounce the wrong...the positive will promote itself.
Oh and thanks for saying i have a beautiful voice. ^_^
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

slowRodeo wrote:heres all the problems with my song. i usually record at southwest statistic's house he has his little studio room and it rocks. usually. i decided to record this at 8 on sunday. the guitar is miced straight into the computer. i downloaded a free recording program. not even a mixer. i couldnt listen to my music and record at the same time so i had to play the verse and then record the vocals. really hard, it made it worse than it would have been in the first place. it took me five hours to do just the vocals. and by then i was too tired to redo anything and i copy and pasted the vocals ontop of the guitar track. no mixing what so ever. i am in the process of rerecording, rewriting. it will have a better break. more guitars, a lead line and possibly some piano. it shall kick butt, but i had no time to make it this week. i still enjoy all the reviews. keep them coming. thank you.
well that explains a lot... i'd give my left nut to record at southwest place... consider yourself very lucky \m/... and if you get the song re-done... i'd love to hear it...
*edit* ok maybe not my left nut... but maybe like cut a lil' skin off my arm or leg or something */edit*

Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Andy Balham wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:Miasmatics
... The vocals are out of character as well, and kind of destroy the RxW mood you're setting up.
For my benefit and interest, can you explain what you mean by "RxW mood" please?

Cheers, Mr B.
Yeah, Rabid Garfunkel had it right. RxW is Songfight-speak for Raised With Wolves, a SF veteran whose songs are often characterized by moody dark synth patches played in quiet isolation. That was the mood that half of your song had. Sorry to throw Songfightese at ya!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

slowRodeo wrote:i usually record at southwest statistic's house he has his little studio room and it rocks. usually.
before people start forming opinions about my equipment... i dont really have anything special. its mostly all just software.

ImageImageImageImage
Poor June wrote: well that explains a lot... i'd give my left nut to record at southwest place... consider yourself very lucky \m/... and if you get the song re-done... i'd love to hear it...
*edit* ok maybe not my left nut... but maybe like cut a lil' skin off my arm or leg or something */edit*
i could definantly use the extra nut though.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:
Poor June wrote: well that explains a lot... i'd give my left nut to record at southwest place... consider yourself very lucky \m/... and if you get the song re-done... i'd love to hear it...
i could definantly use the extra nut though.
ok if that's what it takes... :::un-zips:::