previous bands you were in

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I was in many punk rock bands in highschool where I mostly played bass.

However, after that...I got into a pretty serious band where I played lead guitar and got 1/3 of the lead vocal responsibilities.

we were Johnny Spastic Rocket Man. Later Shortened to Johnny Spaz. Later changed to Raddichio. We played out quite a bit in Atlanta but never recorded. Well, we recoreded ourselves on the lead singers crappy four track. I've got a copy of a copy of that somewhere. Maybe I'll try to restore it ...but my copy is very old and hissy. I'll post mp3's here...but I'll warn you..they will suck as far as quality goes.

Originally we had a drummer and seperate lead singer...but later the drummer didnt' have time..so lead singer went to drums where he sang back there. We had the best bass player ever...played a groovy de-fretted bass with active pickups.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

The strange and crazy lot of bands that I've been in:

Fearofsleep- by and far the best of them, with vox and assorted other musical bits by Faryl (now of the band Angriest Pussycat)

'Thyst- with my best friend Cleo. May reunite if she ever gets her ass back to NY (7 years and counting)

The Young Stallions- my first ever band. I was about 12, yet we felt the need to have a roadie.

The Postal Service style bands (all 3 still exist):

Silent E- TVIYH & I

Transatlantic Fight Club- J$ & I

Suave Noise Youth- Bucko, Excessive Desperado, Howard the Human, Blondeshell, Tendril Menudo Jr., Skinny Pete, Insane Prophet, 3Pac Bastard, Dopplegang$ta, Trilobite TK, Nataly K, DH Hussy, DJ Amateur Drunken Samurai, Heather the Boy Chicken and myself, MC Menasor.

The rest that aren't worth mentioning:
The Barrier
Phoenix/ Adrosia
Chameleon's Court
Black Friday
Last edited by Niveous on Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Niveous wrote:The Postal Service style bands:
by the way : a quick note for those people who are perhaps not savvy enough to catch this reference. this doesn't mean "bands that play music in the style of the postal service" but rather "bands whose members collaborate over a long distance in the style of the postal service".
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

In high school, a friend of mine and I called ourselves "the disposition of id" and recorded some <a href="http://www.kongbalong.com/doi/">questionable computer music</a>.

In college my roommate had a 4-track. We specialized in gangster rap and extended jam versions of TV theme songs. I played the harmonica.

My brother and I call ourselves "Mother Acres" in the very rare moments that we play together.

Brainpipe is still kicking.

-craig
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i've never been in an actual band that made it out of the planning stage.

i was part of n*fancy. we were the evil boy band. we wrote a few songs about things like dinosaur butt sex and spanking crackers.

bands/projects i'm part of at songfight...

i am 1/2 of miss teen universe along with the extremely talented r. mosquito.

i am a part of the suave noise youth which niveous posted about earlier.

i am 1/2 of the al gore band. al gore, sadly, has not yet made it to any of our recording sessions no matter how many times i call his office.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

hmmm....I'll just list the bands I played in for significant time... All these dates are approx., I had to guess, but it's sorta right I suppose....

Back to Front 87-90: with HipCola and some buddies in highschool... recorded a full length CASSETTE project....(DRUMMER)
Boon Liver 91-93 : Punky Funky outfit, kinda like Dead Kennedies, Clash, chilis, Rage... (DRUMMER)
Bright Red And Black 92-93 (DRUMMER for a while...til hip kicked my out...)
Spectrum 93-96 (DRUMMER, VOCALS) -cover band, top 40 stuff mostly. Gigged alot with this bunch!
Shake Brothers 94-95 (DRUMMER) original folk stuff
Rodrigio Fiugerura(sp!) 94 (DRUMMER) - Latin Jazz band
Bonafide - 1994-1997 (DRUMMER, VOCALS) funk ska hip hop originals. Did a CD, did a tour, fell apart. Probably my most favourite band I was ever in. We were a bunch of goons, got into a lot of rock and roll trouble...I loved those guys!
Grant McLellan Trio- 1996-1998 - (DRUMMER) jazz trio, fusion.
Top Heavy Cat - 1997-2001 (DRUMMER, LEAD VOCALS) -progressive alternative rock... tool is the closest comparision, or Primus, but we didn't sound like those bands. The most violent band relations I've ever endured!!! We made some cool music though.
Doug Folkins Band - 1997-200 (DRUMMER) - on again off again deal, mostly studio work, some gigs. He does folky stuff.
Hipromasba- 1999-2002 (DRUMMER) Jazz quartet.
The Eaglemanics...later called Switchback 1999-2002(BASS, LEAD VOCALS)- cover band. Classic rock. Once played 80 gigs with this band in one year. Add in the other bands, and I did exactly 101 gigs that year... made some good coin at it too... once played three shows in two cities, in one day that year too... two with this band and one with Folkins....hectic day!!
Big Stuff Blues Band -1999-2000, 2002-2003 (DRUMMER) -Blues band.
Duffy and Friends -1993-present -(BASS,LEAD VOCALS) -classic rock and top 40 covers, blues, etc. still going. Gig about three times a month now.
Unknown name -1994- right now (GUITAR, LEAD VOCALS) -originals, some covers like Helmet, RATM, Clash, Police, Big Sugar, Stevie Wonder, Audioslave, etc. Just started. Playing guitar is fun but challenging, especially trying to sing and do it!! I find right now I can do one or the other!! ...it'll come....

In addition to this, I've subbed for a ton of bands... usually getting a call that says "Our drummer's sick... or our drummers' being a dick, can you play tonight?" I haven't subbed too many bass gigs, although that's how I got the Duffy one... but lot's of drum subbing... my favourite sub is for "Loose Change" cause they do a ton of Zeppelin and AC/DC covers, and they nail em...wicked lead singer in that band! I've also done recording projects for random people... I got given a CD three weeks ago, and was told I was on it!! I didn't even remember, we tracked it like three years ago! (kinda sucked, actually!)

That's all I think....
Bloody Hams and Redcar are the only internet bands I'm currently in, and I am all of Leaf 62 of course!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Leaf wrote: Boon Liver
That's a great name! One worth stealing maybe...

There's a legendary Tasmanian cricketer called David Boon. He holds the record for the number of cans of beer drunk on a flight between Sydney and London (53 cans of XXXX).

If you toured Australia under the name Boon Liver - you would sell out everywhere - no matter how crap your band was - and you would sell a shitload of t-shirts

http://www.users.bigpond.com/Haigh/boon.html
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

nub
A friend of mine in high school in my basement with a four track.
http://www.bozos.com/nub/

Booh's Groove
Some high school friends playing hippy jam band music. I played bass, because there were already three guitar players.
http://www.bozos.com/boosgroove/

Not Black But Pretty Damn Close
First college band, name chosen by crazy bandmate. No recordings...

Misty Funk
Second college band, named after a friend whose name really was Misty Funk. No recordings...

Chicken Fried Funk
Third college band, played for 2.5 years, gigged a little bit around Cleveland. Started out fairly straight rock then went in more of a funk/rock direction a la RHCP.
http://www.bozos.com/cff/

Patchwork
Post-college bands, playing some fun acoustic music with friends. Two really bad board recordings of a live performance available.
http://www.bozos.com/patchwork/

Sequitur
First California band attempt, never really got off the ground.
http://www.bozos.com/sequitur/
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Leaf wrote: Boon Liver
That's a great name! One worth stealing maybe...

There's a legendary Tasmanian cricketer called David Boon. He holds the record for the number of cans of beer drunk on a flight between Sydney and London (53 cans of XXXX).

If you toured Australia under the name Boon Liver - you would sell out everywhere - no matter how crap your band was - and you would sell a shitload of t-shirts

http://www.users.bigpond.com/Haigh/boon.html
That's great!

That band was a ton of fun, but so destructive. We could usually find our guitar player between sets in the bar down the road, or breaking glass. He broke a lot of glass....
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Helped found The Golgi Apparatus with some friends (playing tenor sax), but left 'cause the only thing we could really play was MELLO YELLO. Then they stopped shitting around and did some cool stuff and I was CHAGRINED.

Later I put together a funk band, Somerville Love Machine, specifically to play something at the high school variety show. Alto sax that time.

Now I play clarinet with the New Orleans Ensemble at Berklee, and sometimes do sessions for Film Scoring students, most of which are cool, but thi1312 what 6yhn the hell my keyboard keeps pressing numlock when I type... I guess that's it's broken-ass way of telling me to stay on topic. Nawlens ensemble has a concert on Friday and I'ma try to get a recording and put a song up on SS.
Let cake eat them.
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

Tony Asbestos and the Psychedelic Yak Trainers formed in concept in October 1987. Mike on guitar and vocals, me on guitar and vocals, and Matt on drums. Eventually I switched to bass and we dropped the "Tony Asbestos and the" from the name. Released four albums on Yak records from 1988-1991.

Lyroid Black This is a supergroup comprised of half of the PYT (Mike and me) and the Rosengren brothers (Nels and Jared) on guitar and drums. We played one show before I left for college. A lot of talent in that band.

Tony Asbestos Band Not sure exactly who would qualify as being in this band, but Matt definitely, and me of course. Put out the album Headcleaner in 1996.

The Drawbacks Pretty much the Tony Asbestos Band with a different name now that Matt was writing more songs.

The Said I joined the Said in the summer of 1999. It had been a while since I had played bass much. A lot of good times and good songs. Got to see what gigging was really about. Consisted of 2 Daves, me, Matt, and Montonn Jira, asian heartthrob.

Southern Train STP cover band

Bellstar This is just the name the Said changed to in 2001. In late 2002 one Dave left. We haven't had the chemistry the same since.
MalachiConstant
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by MalachiConstant »

Despite the fact that I've never submitted a song and I haven't played in years (except in Sober's "Brown Boxes" in Austin) I was in a band in middle school. We never had a real name, but we considered Black Widow (hey, we were in middle school).

We won second place in our school's talent show and we wrote our own songs (I was the drummer, by the way). It was a lot of fun, but I learned I really don't like being in the spotlight. I'd rather be behind the scenes.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

MalachiConstant wrote:I learned I really don't like being in the spotlight. I'd rather be behind the scenes.
hence: drummer
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

"Band"s I've been in:

Five Finger B***h - Or something like that. A drummer and guitarist in the basement with me, the keyboard bassist. The drummer enjoyed purposely NOT keeping time, and the guitarist enjoyed playing whatever he wanted without giving me any indication of patterns. It was fun playing by ear, but got old fast with this group. That and the smoke and cleptomania. Oh, and the "I just wrote a new instrumental.. but it's really a pre-existing song you haven't heard, that I changed the name of."

Self-Titled - Does playing Christmas tunes on a Casio keyboard in a floral shop count as a gig? What about church?

"Brand"s I've been [in] (I know, nobody asked):
The Cow Exchange - Weird stuff
An Unexpected Error - Stuff that didn't quite turn out the way I was hoping. Too lame for the Cow Exchange brand. Is that possible?
Miles Low - Serious stuff. Mostly unreleased.
Rocketears / Mostly Harmless / FrogJam Fanatics / etc - Various Internet-collab names.
Plate - Ugly solo instrumental stuff (retired). Much of it was an unquantized mess.
Plateau - Songs with a local friend when we were in late Elementary/early Jr. High.

Yeah, I gotta get out more.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I was in a band called the Mutated Turkeys when I was like 11-12. We made songs and they were funny.
Then a spice girls parody band called the Herb Boys around the same time. We made no songs but they would have been funny.
And a couple more we either didn't name or I forget the names of.
(everyone else in those bands couldn't do anything either)