Thought I wouldn't ever want to be in reality T.V.

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Caravan Ray wrote: EDIT
-----------
Just realised I may have seriously given my age away by describing Brian Johnstone from AC/DC as "the new dude". I'm guessing that many Songfighters weren't even born when Bon died - nor even knew that AC/DC ever had a different lead singer.
what's even scarier is that i saw AC/DC in high school. and bon scott was the singer.
Hi!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

My drummer/friend Justin LOVES AC/DC, but if I remember correctly, he only likes the material with Bon Scott.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

GlennCase wrote: One of the things I had noticed about the rules/entry forms is that they are encouraging folks to play original material. People are not required to play an INXS song during the auditions. Maybe they are planning on trying to break away from that very image of "The INXS show". Again, I can't speak on behalf of the guys, and what is motivating them to do this. All I know is that they are doing it, and that presents an opportunity for some unknown talent to be discovered. Tacky or not, there could be some nice things to come out of it.

So, You guys wish me luck anyway?

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Absolutely - good luck - give 'em hell! It should be great fun for you. I agree - it doesn't matter what the band's motivation is, it sounds like a great opportunity to grab if you can. Actually - I'm starting to think maybe I'll enter. I'm getting old - but I'm not as old as those guys.

One the thing about INXS was they were a real "band". Not just one personality with supporting players. When they started playing around pubs in Sydney in the late 70's - the sound they developed was so unique for the time. Then with the later 'Kick' stuff they really showed signs of genius.

Personally, I was never really a huge fan of the band (but I do consider Don't Change to be one of the Greatest Australian Songs of All Time) - but I definately respect them and the surviving guys are great musicians - they'd be amazing to work with.

Oh - and INXS's version of The Loved One is one of the Greatest Cover Versions of All Time.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

I remember you mentioning that! If I recall correctly, you even said you could hook me up with the original version.

Does that offer still stand?

I also wish you the best of luck if you decide to try out for it. I would love it if any songfighter got into the finals. MULTIPLE songfighters in the finals would be icing on the cake.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

GlennCase wrote:I remember you mentioning that! If I recall correctly, you even said you could hook me up with the original version.

Does that offer still stand?

Glenn (DR FUNK)

Try that:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cavanrea ... %20One.mp3

The Loved One by The Loved Ones. Recorded around 1967 I think.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

WOW is that different from the INXS version! It almost sounds like something the Animals would have done back in the day.

Thanks for sharing that!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Re: Thought I wouldn't ever want to be in reality T.V.

Post by Freudian Slip »

GlennCase wrote:As much as I didn't think I would ever apply to be on reality T.V., this one is too good to pass up.

http://www.inxsrockstar.com/notice.html

http://www.inxsrockstar.com/application.html

I consider "Kick" by INXS to be one of my fave albums ever. Songs from that album were amongst the first songs I ever tried to teach myself how to play.

Wanted to pass this on the community in the hopes that we could get a songfighter in the qualifying round. I will most definitely be trying out for this.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Awesome!8)
One of my all time favorite INXS song was "One of My Kind" Here's hopin' they think you're one of their kind. To quote a phrase, "You ROCK!Dude" Play to win.
I'm rootin for you.
:::boppin' in the chair while humming "Fight the Sea".:::
(one of my all time favs of yours 8) )
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

GlennCase wrote:My drummer/friend Justin LOVES AC/DC, but if I remember correctly, he only likes the material with Bon Scott.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
I thought Justin was your brother?? Not that it would preclude him from being your friend mind you... or am I ruining the "mystique" here?

If you get in the band, slowly kick people out and replace them with songfighters. Get me, Phil, Jute, Sober and Puce, and then we can transform INXS into a deathmetal band.

Just trying to help....
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I say screw the reality show and run with Leaf's idea. A death metal "Devil Inside". An ugly "Beautiful Girl". A blazing "Guns in the Sky". This reeks of potential. "Kiss the Dirt" would be the absolute best.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Niveous wrote:I say screw the reality show and run with Leaf's idea. A death metal "Devil Inside". An ugly "Beautiful Girl". A blazing "Guns in the Sky". This reeks of potential. "Kiss the Dirt" would be the absolute best.
nnnnnaaaaaaawwwwww! ADD ME! and we'll make them PUNK METAL SONGS!

RAWK

*Hoblit air guitars
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Good Luck

Post by vanilla ike »

Glenn....good luck man.......i know you have loads of talent, but you only have until the 19th of Feb to prepare......i suggest mining for applicants to previous "reality" ventures by the same producers......talking to folks behind the scenes to find what they really want and tailoring your audition accordingly......of course all the while being true to yourself......with the amount of time that you have to get ready.....you can do it man! You certainly have the support of the fight community! Rock on!..........oh, and i dont think they are trying to make $ off of MH's death.....we all want to keep on rockin right? it's cool that this opportunity exists...........peace
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Leaf wrote: I thought Justin was your brother?? Not that it would preclude him from being your friend mind you... or am I ruining the "mystique" here?

If you get in the band, slowly kick people out and replace them with songfighters. Get me, Phil, Jute, Sober and Puce, and then we can transform INXS into a deathmetal band.

Just trying to help....
Ken has fooled you!!! You remembered his comment!

Here was his way of thinking:

1. Take my last name
2. Take Justin's first name
3. Justin Case sounds very funny

We are not brothers, I met him a few years ago when he was playing for my sister-in-law's band. We had a lot of the same musical taste even then. So, I guess you could say we are brothers in some ways... just not in the biological sense.

As far as the deathmetal INXS thing goes... Why not just do both? I can apply for the show AND form the death metal INXS cover band with y'all too! Hoblit is even invited.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh.....gonna have to get that Ken back!!!

....bythe way... do I smell a potential cover fight brewing....due Feb 18th..... hmmm....

.....Never Tear Us Apart would never sound so good....hey Hip Cola, remember when we used to cover that tune?! Oh yeah...
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Leaf wrote:....bythe way... do I smell a potential cover fight brewing....
i'm so in!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

No. *smack* Well, maybe, if I can do that slow waltzy one with the cello, and the video set in some Eastern European capital (Prague I think.) Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was the only good INXS track, period.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

j$ wrote:No. *smack* Well, maybe, if I can do that slow waltzy one with the cello, and the video set in some Eastern European capital (Prague I think.) Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was the only good INXS track, period.

That was Never Tear Us Apart.

P.S. Stop doing the smack.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:
j$ wrote:No. *smack* Well, maybe, if I can do that slow waltzy one with the cello, and the video set in some Eastern European capital (Prague I think.) Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was the only good INXS track, period.

I'd rather do crack. *ahem*

Thank you. Yes, I liked Never Tear Us Apart. Other than that, INXS suck. Glenn, don't do it! They will make you crimp your hair!

J$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

For somebody who makes such excellent music, j$ has weird tastes.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

j$ wrote:
Leaf wrote:

I'd rather do crack. *ahem*

Thank you. Yes, I liked Never Tear Us Apart. Other than that, INXS suck. Glenn, don't do it! They will make you crimp your hair!

J$
And crimping never ends well.
Songfighter since back in the day.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:For somebody who makes such excellent music, j$ has weird tastes.
-bill
Hahaha - yes, I like to think it's actually because I have weird tastes, but I would, wouldn't I? I just think that their other stuff is more predictable - 'NTUA' embraced their own predicability and ran with it. Plus it sounded good :)
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Queen has replaced Freddie, right? Heard they're touring soon.

Also, not that anyone died, but Thomas Dolby put an ad in an LA paper years ago looking for unsigned artists to join his (then) new band, and they kicked ass (releasing the Aliens Ate My Buick album - cowritten with the band members). It's always a great idea to open up the process to fresh tallent.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I wouldn't diss them too lightly. I also am not a fan of theirs - and I can certainly see where your coming from. But my wife recently bought a double CD greatest hits of theirs, and it changed my opinion a bit. Of that CD: about 80% I still don't like, 10% I think is brilliant, and 10%, while I don't like it much - I can see some real innovation in what they were doing.

So, I wouldn't just write them off completely, like they're Pink Floyd or something like that. (this may lead to a new thread - "Top 10 Bands I Don't Like Much But I Do Respect And Can Understand Why Other People Like Them)

...and having said that - I'd be all up for picking a song out of the 10% I think are brilliant for a coverfight.