Adult Swim

Blab about the Boob Tube.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

full metal alchemist: good stuff. awesome anime.

john m, you're a real bastard for turning me on to this adult swim thing....like i don't have enough distractions....
Hi!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

jack shite wrote:full metal alchemist: good stuff. awesome anime.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to ep. 2 tomorrow night.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

jack: Yeah, I know. Though, you could always download all the stuff you watch on your own and watch it when you have free time.

FMA gets so awesome. I am excited for people discovering it. (Of course, part of me wants it to get popular only so more FMA goods will come here from Japan, like that GBA game. I'm already waiting impatiently for the PS2 game in January.)

Man, I hope all the other important characters are voiced well.
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

Okay, not as happy with Gluttony's voice as I was with Lust's, but the dub is still impressive so far. It'll be hard to judge this dub completely for a while, since the introduction of all the important characters takes a long time.

Nice to see they're also using the first closing theme.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

john m wrote: FMA gets so awesome. I am excited for people discovering it. (Of course, part of me wants it to get popular only so more FMA goods will come here from Japan, like that GBA game. I'm already waiting impatiently for the PS2 game in January.)
not a clue what FMA is... too lazy to go through all the posts and try to figure it out?
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

You could, you know, read the first post of the thread. Beyond lazy.

Full Metal Alchemist.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I caught the second episode after missing the first. Pretty cool, although near the end I was kind of put off by the thing they do in a lot of cartoons and anime, where they'll start talking about some psuedo-philosophy of life. Usually in a sort of roundabout way so it feels like the target audience is younger kids. One reason I think that Bebop is so damn good is because all the characters are adults. I get tired of all these damn coming of age stories. But now I'm ranting... it was good. Although ghost in the shell which came after looks like it might be better. The animation of those section 9 fujikokomo whatevers racing around is awexome.
Let cake eat them.
Ogreasy!
A New Player

Post by Ogreasy! »

Home Movies is really good to me. Its the only show to have an episode about a rock opera based on Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis"
"Living like a bug ain;t easy, My old clothes don't seem to fit me, And I got tiny bug feet, I don't really know what Bugs eat, Don't want noone steppin' on me, now i'm sympathizing with Fleas! Livin' like a Bug ain't Eaasy!"

Cowboy Bebop owns my peenorz. I've got the last episode in my tivo set to "Never Delete" and its been in there for like a year.
I remember seeing the Bebop movie in a Theatre with my dad, who was kind of oblivious to CB but cool and open, although slightly vexed, to and by anime.
The Soundtrack!!!
"See You Space Cowboy"(The song that plays before Spike fights Vicious in The Real folk Blues pt. 2 that sounds kind of like an alternate version of the ending theme for the show) is AMAZING.
DOWNLOAD IT NOW.
I'm also gonna try and see if I can get my High School marching band to do "Tank!"(opening theme) next year.
I've got a friend who pulled it off. I think I can just ask him and nab the scoring/whatever from him.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Ogreasy! wrote: I'm also gonna try and see if I can get my High School marching band to do "Tank!"(opening theme) next year.
That would be awesome. Would be sure to get the crowd pumping.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

Please don't do it. I arranged Tank! for my jazz band. The next year (after I graduated), they played it at basketball games. It totally sucked. High school bands are not meant to play Kanno material.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Agreed. No Tank! for high school groups. Try the Austin Powers theme instead, that one is fun to play at football games, and high school bands can handle it.
Let cake eat them.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a genuine addiction of mine. I have all of the seasons that are available on DVD at this point (Three at the time of my typing.)

Quoting the show in everyday conversation is pretty much a given between Rach and I.

Although we have also been saying "Is it Cold? The temperature has been told!" in Spud-voices a lot recently too, so maybe we are just twisted people.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

He-hey, who's your dead friend? 'Cause he's dead! Wait wait where are you going, you haven't even urinated all over my house yet!
Let cake eat them.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Tank! kicks ass no matter where it's played -- basketball games included. If I heard it at a basketball game, I'd be like "this is the coolest band ever."

Elitism is bad for everyone.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

I'm too tired to find the pet peeves thread:

It really pisses me off when people dismiss any statement of dislike, no matter how grounded in reality or fact, as elitism.

The fact is they couldn't fucking play it, and it would take an extraordinarily good group of high school students to come close to doing justice to such a well-composed and -played piece. Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I am annoyed by terrible interpretations of great songs/tunes. If he has that amazing collection of young musicians and can pull it off nicely, I will retract my statement, but that's unlikely. There's no need to ruin good music.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

c hack wrote:Elitism is bad for everyone.
Oh?
http://home.mindspring.com/~babehuth/si ... _remix.mp3
Still think so?
Let cake eat them.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

john m wrote:I'm too tired to find the pet peeves thread:

It really pisses me off when people dismiss any statement of dislike, no matter how grounded in reality or fact, as elitism.

The fact is they couldn't fucking play it, and it would take an extraordinarily good group of high school students to come close to doing justice to such a well-composed and -played piece. Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I am annoyed by terrible interpretations of great songs/tunes. If he has that amazing collection of young musicians and can pull it off nicely, I will retract my statement, but that's unlikely. There's no need to ruin good music.
You didn't say they couldn't play it, you just said you didn't like to see it in a basketball context.

My high school band could've done it. But even if they can't do it, it's much more fun, if you're in the band, to play a cool song than the same old stupid shit. You're acting like people should only do things they can do perfectly.
the Jazz wrote:
c hack wrote:Elitism is bad for everyone.
Oh?
http://home.mindspring.com/~babehuth/si ... _remix.mp3
Still think so?
Wow.

That's worse than when that pop song sampled Satie's Gymnopedie.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Thanks! :lol:

p.s. I hate that lip-flapping laugh smiley and would shoot it in the face with a gun but I can't afford another computer.
Let cake eat them.
Ogreasy!
A New Player

Post by Ogreasy! »

Whoa, I didn't mean to cause so much dissention with that comment...
Dude, are you trying to say my Marching Band can't HANDLE Tank!????
If we got a piece that awesome we'd practice that 24/7.

It would be awesome too..

Well anyways, in response to the "take a good piece of music and make it shitty" comment or whatever.. Thats what marching bands do. We take good music and make it shitty and march to it. Hehe
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

(Boing.)

Well, I can't stand any marching band that doesn't do competition music anyway, so don't listen to me.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Actually there are other Bebop songs that might work out better for marching band. "Too Good Too Bad" and "What Planet Is This?" come to mind. The first even has a built-in tuba part.
Let cake eat them.
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

I think I would cry if a marching band played What Planet is This?.

The only song I can think of working in that setting is Yo' Pumpkin Head.

(And even then, it better be a damn good band.)