Pet Peeves

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

People who stand in the hallway, talking, such that you have to walk between them to get past them, and then look as though you're being rude when they forced you to do it.

People who look at you while talking to other people on their cellphones such that you think they're talking to you but they're not. Especially when they use headsets.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

HeuristicsInc wrote:PPeople who look at you while talking to other people on their cellphones such that you think they're talking to you but they're not. Especially when they use headsets.
I'll have to check the books to be sure, but I believe it's perfectly legal to punch them in the nose in that situation.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

15-16 puzzle wrote:This girl I knew in college told me that the way that she was taught to minimize germ contact in the bathroom was to, upon finishing using the toilet, wash hands, dry using a paper towel, save paper towel, wrap paper towel around door handle so you don't have to touch the door handle that every single person who didn't wash their hands has just touched, and then, once the door is open, throw the paper towel in the garbage can by the door.

I do this at work. It's a fish plant. I think that explains it.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

HeuristicsInc wrote:People who stand in the hallway, talking, such that you have to walk between them to get past them, and then look as though you're being rude when they forced you to do it.
First couple of weeks at school I was being my usual polite self and letting people pass me to get into the stairs and whatnot. Thus, I'd usualy be late by a couple of minutes. Now, I can't be bothered, know I have to get to class, and just shove. It's not my fault if there's a huge clump of people where I need to walk. Bugger them.

And then freshmen who don't know what the etiquette is in the hallways at school, and thus wander around being 5 ft tall and getting in my way. I can understand the first couple of weeks, but a quarter into the year? Bad freshmen!
Songfighter since back in the day.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

fuckin' arrogant pricks... is a big pet peeve of mine...
i'll think of more later
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Kapitano wrote:People who say "I'm not racist, but foreigners don't belong in our country."
it seems to me any time someone starts something by saying "now i'm not racist or anything, BUT..." it means they really are. at least to some degree. or else they wouldn't be saying what they are about to say.
MalachiConstant wrote:Think "Rest Our Ant"
that wouldn't help me because i'd forget whether it was "ant" or "aunt". especially since my problem is being confused between restaurant and restaraunt.
Bell Green wrote:Fat girls showing their midriffs, especially in winter.
Middle aged women wearing teenage fashions.
it's even worse when there is a combination of these: fat old people who think they are younger and more attractive than they are, and dress to show off way more of themselves than i want to see.
Bell Green wrote:Vegetarians who say they eat chicken or fish.
not wanting to start a religious discussion here, but i have argued with catholics many, many times about them not being allowed to eat meat on fridays so they eat fish instead. a fish is an animal and it is made of meat just like a cow or a pig or whatever.
jb wrote:People who can't taste the difference in water from various places, and think that I can't either.
i have to say, the best water i have ever had was when i was in kent, ohio. yes, there most definitely is a difference in various places. i don't think anybody from pittsburgh who has been outside of pittsburgh would disagree with that :twisted:
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Kapitano wrote: People who say "What made you turn gay?"
And answer: "Well it certainly wasn't Kapitano's new avatar"

Whoa dude - there should be a 2-second warning before a man-boob flash.
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

TVIYH wrote:
Bell Green wrote:Vegetarians who say they eat chicken or fish.
not wanting to start a religious discussion here, but i have argued with catholics many, many times about them not being allowed to eat meat on fridays so they eat fish instead. a fish is an animal and it is made of meat just like a cow or a pig or whatever.
The catholic church has officially designated the beaver as a fish. On the grounds that it lives in water.

Yes, that means good catholics can eat beaver on fridays. About which I'm saying nothing.
jb wrote:People who can't taste the difference in water from various places, and think that I can't either.
If you want to know what the water in southeast england tastes like, lick a stick of chalk.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Impolite cell phone etiquette such as:

The phone ringing audibly in public (and being ignored by the owner);

Having your face-to-face conversation put abruptly on hold without so much as a "would you excuse me for a moment?"

Fucking Atkins specialized food product industry marketing madness. Learn to cook and save a few hundred bucks a month, people!

Paul Newman's face staring back at me in every section of the 'market.

Crappy salsa at so-called "good" Mexican restaraunts (damnit, j$! :wink: ).
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Kapitano wrote: People who say "What made you turn gay?"
And answer: "Well it certainly wasn't Kapitano's new avatar"

Whoa dude - there should be a 2-second warning before a man-boob flash.
Huh! It got Leaf some fanmail when he did it, so I thought...

Oh alright then. I'll try out the <i>other</i> avatar.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

c hack wrote:
Bell Green wrote:Baseball caps. (They're ok if you actually play baseball.)
Now you're just getting silly.
Not at all - I'm with Bell Green on this one (and I've actually played a fair bit of baseball - a very unAustralian thing to admit!)

Baseball caps are ridiculous. Why only a peak at the front (or at the back if you the type of dickhead who wears it backwards)? How do you keep the sun off your ears or your neck? You can stick a hankie in the back and wear it foreign legion style - but that looks reall silly.

No, the full brimmed hat is the only acceptable (non-religous based) headwear for men. My chapeau of choice is the Akubra Cattleman which has been my constant companion for many years now (see avatar) - but there are many other fine and stylish options
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Maybe I should have clarified that by "modern poetry" I mean CRAP. Here! I'll write you some modern poetry right now! I call it "The Dark-Waisted Haberdasher Ponders Essencitude!"

The Dark-Waisted Haberdasher Ponders Essencitude
so many hats
(thinks the man with the
dark waist and the
dark eyes full
of pain) to choose
from! where
(floating porpoises)
is the hat for me? I make the hats
for everyone except for
me
(sad flipper so sad)
?
who
................................will
..........make.................................me
...................................................................a
......hat?

DEEP, no? Should I recite it wearing my black turtleneck (as black as the soul of oppression!), my dark black turtleneck (as black as the shadow of the soul of oppression!), or my off-black turtleneck (not quite as black as the other two)?
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

*applause*
i liked it actually, the jazz.
i can totally relate, too.
except the part about porpoises, i didn't really see where that fit in.

[edit: at least, i liked it until you went nuts with the poor june punctuation!]
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Ironically, satire usually validates its target ...

j$
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

tviyh wrote:*applause*

[edit: at least, i liked it until you went nuts with the poor june punctuation!]
hey what's wrong with my punctuation!?!?! O_o

sidenote: yea... that whole crappy i'm a poet that says really out there things doesn't really entertain me much...
unless they are robyn hitchcock... cause that dude is just insane... but it works for him haha
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Poor June wrote:
tviyh wrote:*applause*

hey what's wrong with my punctuation!?!?! O_o
... the lack thereof.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Only one period is necessary at the end of most sentences.

To add to my list:

People who condescendingly say things like "Why are you going to buy that when you could get it free online?" or "You don't need to go to the theatre to see films, just bittorrent them!" I mean, I know those are options, but they're also illegal options, so there's a pretty solid argument against them.

People who storm into an organization meeting, having never been to one before, with a list of things that organization could do to better cater to "the community," i.e. the person with the list.

Pop-ups with audio (especially on OCR). Pop-ups that don't have a close button. Pop-ups that 404.

When I'm sitting on a swivel chair, and someone is touching the back, affecting my swing. I don't know why, but that bugs the hell out of me.

People who compete to see who's the most miserable.

People who make fun of me when the first thing I notice about something I've been given to read is its poor proofreading (yeah, there's a student-run magazine here with an article entitled "The Lightening Bolt." It begins with an it's where it should be an its, and the word "Lightning" is consistently misspelled, among other typos).

People who doggedly insist that The Lords of the Rings trilogy are, collectively, the best film ever made. Sure, they're good movies, but they're not the best thing ever made.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Generic wrote:Pop-ups with audio (especially on OCR). Pop-ups that don't have a close button. Pop-ups that 404.
Yes, waking up to "You can buy this patch and lose 5-7lbs a week!!!" is not a good way to wake up.
Generic wrote:People who doggedly insist that The Lords of the Rings trilogy are, collectively, the best film ever made. Sure, they're good movies, but they're not the best thing ever made.
*nods* I'm an LotR fan, but it annoys me when they're so deep in the fandom that they refuse to admit something else is better.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Poor June wrote:hey what's wrong with my punctuation!?!?! O_o

sidenote: yea... that whole crappy i'm a poet that says really out there things doesn't really entertain me much...
unless they are robyn hitchcock... cause that dude is just insane... but it works for him haha
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I have no problem with people who wear baseball caps, the way they were designed to be worn, backwards, upside down, or over their privates.

Just take 'em off in the fucking restaurant, would you?
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Some people take their hats off indoors and some people don't. What's the big deal? Unless there's a "no hats" rule and the person is wearing a hat to be rude, what's the big deal? According to Jewish law I'm supposed to have my head covered all the time. But I've never seen a Hasidic Jew get worked up over a non-Jew who doesn't have a hat.
Let cake eat them.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

the Jazz wrote:According to Jewish law I'm supposed to have my head covered all the time. But I've never seen a Hasidic Jew get worked up over a non-Jew who doesn't have a hat.
I think that's because Jewish law is for Jewish people.