Adult Swim

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Ogreasy!
A New Player

Post by Ogreasy! »

LoL, currently listening to one of the Bebop soundtracks.

Unfortunately, I live in Ohio. Which means the kids aren't incredibly familiar with Cowboy Bebop and that the directors aren't likely to change their thoughts on what is good marching band music and what isn't.
But it would be cool if by some odd chance that it did happen.

Back on topic, I think Adult Swim is in the process of Jumping the Shark.
Then again, ever since its conception it has been slowly jumping the shark, just very slowly and with slight outbreaks of non-shark-jumpage followed by a continued flight over the shark.
There were phases in which Adult Swim looked like it was gonna stay great, but they fizzled out. There were even phases in which Mike Lazzo was getting media attention.
I think that once they figured out that most of their audience for their Adult Swim was annoying teenage kids they kind of ditched the "Put the kids to bed, its time for Adult Swim" thing. That was the first step of shark-jumpage.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i watched bebop for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. it was the alien spoof episode, with the refridgerator. very funny indeed.

i hardly think adult swim has jumped the shark. it's pretty unique in it's offering and seems to present alot of stuff you'd have a hard time finding elsewhere. i wish they'd do less commercially popular stuff (like futurama) but thats just me. and yes, i know futurama is a good show so don't remind me.
Hi!
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

More Ohio people keep popping up when I'm not looking.

I'm in Ohio also. I know what you mean. I've slowly been able to instruct people in the ways of Bebop goodness, but it's difficult.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey, jack, see if you can borrow the series to watch in order, if you've got the time, it's well worth it.
that alien episode was very cool, but had a different feel from a lot of the rest.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Venture Bros. was grrreat this saturday.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Eh... the amusement park/bees vs. oranges one? I thought it was okay. My favorite is definitely the one where they meet the neighbor guy whose name I don't remember. That guy is pee-my-pants funny.
Let cake eat them.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i just realized the voice of brock samson is done by puddy from seinfeld. :lol:
Hi!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

jack shite wrote:i watched bebop for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. it was the alien spoof episode, with the refridgerator. very funny indeed.
That one was a one-shot, but at least half of them are in a continuing storyline that's probably the best storyline that TV has to offer, so it's really worth it to watch them in order.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Verbatim
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Verbatim »

Is anyone looking forward to robot chicken?
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I saw an episode, it was kind of strange. It might grow on me like Sealab did, or it might not.
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i haven't yet seen it, but the commercials look awesome. skelator? shipwreck? lion-o? count me in! hopefully i'll be home from work earlier than normal tomorrow night!

---
edit: damn, maybe next week. or maybe i will meet somebody who has a TIVO or something.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

john m wrote:(Really though, I would like to have been able to be at the brainstorm session for that one. "Okay, we need someone to voice Vash, the most feared man on the planet, a legendary outlaw with a colossal bounty on his head." "How about the second black ranger from Power Rangers? I hear he's free." "Perfect.")
Vash is like... the emo outlaw. It's totally fitting that he sounds like a dweeb.

That said, it's a reasonably enjoyable show, and the dubs aren't that great.

Only a couple of shows piss me off on Adult Swim, the shit-anime notwithstanding (Inuyasha, et al). The Oblongs went off the air for a reason, first. Second, I want to like Stand Alone Complex. The plots are decent, for anime. The dialogue isn't bad. The animation is great. But they fall victim to the anime cliche of making the main character look LIKE A FUCKING MORON. She walks around daily like she's trying to pose for the cover of Maxim, but doesn't have the chops to make the cut. No thanks. Bad dubbing, too. *

ATHF is absolutely fantastic, however. The only thing I really, really like about Adult Swim now that Bebop is gone (because I'm too lazy to just put the DVD in when I want to see it).

Edit. Forgot Robot Chicken. Worst fucking show ever. Reminds me a lot of the SNL Maakies shit (excepting Ambiguously Gay Duo, which was occasionally funny for a few seconds). The only part of this show I can sit through is the intro, which is fun.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

c hack wrote:
jack shite wrote:i watched bebop for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. it was the alien spoof episode, with the refridgerator. very funny indeed.
That one was a one-shot, but at least half of them are in a continuing storyline that's probably the best storyline that TV has to offer, so it's really worth it to watch them in order.
What are you talking about, you crazy mofo? The best storyline that TV has to offer can be found in Band of Brothers. No comparison.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

That's going to degenerate into derailment quick I think.

But I'll participate. Best storyline on TV right now is Galactica. No contest.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

sparks wrote:That's going to degenerate into derailment quick I think.

But I'll participate. Best storyline on TV right now is Galactica. No contest.
That's a tough one. Galactica is in my top five favorite shows right now and the storyline is way too sexy for my shirt. However I've been watching Band of Brothers again on History channel and I concur with the opinion that it is one of the best storylines ever developed. I'm really digging Lost and West Wing, too.

In the cartoon universe though, I'll take Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex storyline over Bebop any day of the week. (Plus I can't get enough of the opening song 'The Inner Universe')
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

abecedarian wrote:Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex...
... is easily the most boring show I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I've seen both movies and read the graphic novel (the original, not the new one), and this show is very much in the spirit of the comic, but OH MY GOD is it dull. There's nothing more anticlimactic than a show about elite cyborg crime fighters that do exciting things like deliver subpoenas.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Scryed (or s-CRY-ed, to be stupidly accurate) is premiering soon, and I loved that show. I'm pretty certain the dub is shit (just like all others) but the series itself is damn good. It is a bit closer to standard anime than all the Bebops and Champloos, though, so maybe those of you who are not really anime fans won't like it. Whatever.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Puce wrote:... is easily the most boring show I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
wow that's a strong response.

One scene that I loved that will characterize why I like the show is where 'the Major' is sitting in on a virtual chat room. She is silently listening as people blab on about 'the Laughing Man' and she just sits patiently and gets a sense of everyone who is taking part in the back and forth. And we, the audience, just sit there watching her watch them.

Some people would call that boring and I can see that, but for me the whole interplay is realistic and also made me think interesting thoughts about chat rooms and human interactions in general.

That's the real reason I love Ghost - per half hour it makes me think more than almost any other cartoon out there. And how much I like a shows storyline is almost entirely predicated on the ability of a show to stimulate new thoughts.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

c hack wrote: What are you talking about, you crazy mofo? The best storyline that TV has to offer can be found in Band of Brothers. No comparison.
Also, it's an actual thing, based on real people and real events. That rocks.
It doesn't even really feel like TV to me.
The book's very good as well.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

"moral orel" is hilarious, yes? i love that show. i love that its satire attacks things that aren't even real issues, but at the same time, it's still satire in that it makes fun of the rule book aspect and wool over the eyes christians.

now. bad shows.

does anyone else think that "12 oz. mouse" and "perfect hair forever" are the worst cartoons ever made? i know they're trying to weird and quirky, but it just comes off as incredibly annoying. i look forward to those shows ending.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

12 oz Mouse has the somewhat interesting concept of being like Williams St, only moreso. Worse animation, more non-sequitor dialog, etc. I honestly can't decide if I like it or not.

The first two episodes of Perfect Hair Forever are brilliant, the rest are crap. Especially the last episode. That was a waste of eleven minutes. I'm not that surprised, though. They were burning through clichés at a pace that couldn't be kept up. At least, not in an entertaining way. But you can't say that "BEWARE THE WOLF SURVIVE THE WOLF BEWARE SURVIVE SURVIVE BEWARE" isn't one of the best opening themes ever.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i didn't think phf was funny at all. and then they have the abnoxious hot dog and the main character's voice is annoying. gah. :x