Pet Peeves

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Yamakas (sp?) aside, guys wearing hats indoors is rude.

Unless it's a lampshade.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

People who can't spell "yarmulka."

(I kid, I kid.)
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Fucking Atkins specialized food product industry marketing madness. Learn to cook and save a few hundred bucks a month, people!
Cooking yourself is more expensive than buying crappy pre-made meals at the grocery store. Sucks that it's like that, but it is.
Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Paul Newman's face staring back at me in every section of the 'market.
I love Neuman products. They're good for you, they taste great, and he's all up with the charities and environmental stuff.
Kapitano wrote: Oh alright then. I'll try out the <i>other</i> avatar.
The one that's the first frame of every chessy art-house flick?
Caravan Ray wrote:No, the full brimmed hat is the only acceptable (non-religous based) headwear for men. My chapeau of choice is the Akubra Cattleman which has been my constant companion for many years now (see avatar) - but there are many other fine and stylish options
This, I can agree with. My hat of choice is a rancher hat that looks a lot like yours (though I don't have the pics to prove it).
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Caravan Ray wrote: No, the full brimmed hat is the only acceptable (non-religous based) headwear for men.
So it's okay for me to wear my hat(avatar) even if I'm indoors because I'm a woman? Rock on!
Songfighter since back in the day.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Bjam wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote: No, the full brimmed hat is the only acceptable (non-religous based) headwear for men.
So it's okay for me to wear my hat(avatar) even if I'm indoors because I'm a woman? Rock on!
Yup. Once again, women get the long end of the stick.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

c hack wrote:
Bjam wrote:
Yup. Once again, women get the long end of the stick.
Yay us!

And another pet peeve, friends that make a point of telling you every single detail of their lovelife and their dates, when they know you're currently without a significant other. Especially when it's all your friends that do this.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

People stopped at a light in the left lane (not a turn lane) and you're behind them and as the light changes they decide to turn left...... shudders...... that makes me so ANGRY!!!!!

That and the TV-B Gone that just shut off my TV in the middle of the Grey Cup by some little kid. PinV?! Did you give him that? :)
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

feminism is a pet peeve of mine... not 'equal' rights... keep in mind... just find certain things really bothering about the whole movement...
but then again i hate bitching in general usually... so that probably has a lot to do with it...

debating can be cool... as long as it doesn't go into name calling and bsin'... cause everyone else is wrong and you're right... that gets on my nerves 2... we are all free to our own opinion... no matter what you think of it... (the 'you' isn't directed at anyone in general)
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Bjam wrote: And another pet peeve, friends that make a point of telling you every single detail of their lovelife and their dates, when they know you're currently without a significant other. Especially when it's all your friends that do this.
Can I get a AMEN!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

tviyh wrote: not wanting to start a religious discussion here, but i have argued with catholics many, many times about them not being allowed to eat meat on fridays so they eat fish instead. a fish is an animal and it is made of meat just like a cow or a pig or whatever.
The reason for that is historical... if ya wanna know, I can ask my fiancee. Seriously. I agree vegetarians don't eat seafood.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Bjam wrote:
Beanies (is 'beanie' an internationally used word? If not, it refers to the type of close fitting woollen hat as modelled by Bjam) are wonderful if your ears are cold - I'm a little puzzled how they became a fashion statement - though yes, I think there is a law which allows women to wear tham anywhere, based on the Annie Hall precedent.

I do have a pet localised peeve re. them though. I live in Brisbane. Capital of Queensland, the Sunshine State. We have a climate that is similar to, say Miami, or to place it in an English context - maybe Spain.
Winter usually just means the 3 weeks where I stop wearing short trousers. It is really never cold here. Yet - it is very common to see grotty little 14-year-old skate punks hooning around in December in 40 degree heat (celsius - don't know how to translate it - but it means bloody hot) each with the ubiquitous beanie pulled over their stupid adolescent skulls. This is a climate where the idea of headwear is to 1) deflect UV rays while 2) still allowing heat transfer through the top of the head. The beanie is designed to do pretty much the exact opposite of this.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
tviyh wrote: not wanting to start a religious discussion here, but i have argued with catholics many, many times about them not being allowed to eat meat on fridays so they eat fish instead. a fish is an animal and it is made of meat just like a cow or a pig or whatever.
The reason for that is historical... if ya wanna know, I can ask my fiancee. Seriously. I agree vegetarians don't eat seafood.
-bill
I believe the idea of not eating meat on Fridays in Lent is a token sacrifice that all Catholics are supposed to make recalling the fact that Jesus fasted in the wilderness for 40 days. I have a vague recollection that it was decided that fish was a far inferior food to red meat - hence if fish was the only meat you ate on Fridays - then you were still making a sacrifice (this is probably wrong - the nuns were never renowed for dishing out accurate information) - although the fish thing is probably also related to the whole Christian/fishermen connection.

My pet peeve is that while I was growing up going to Catholic school, I was always taught that "Lent is a time of sacrifice to remember Jesus' sacrifice for us..." Nowdays though, Fridays in Lent and Good Friday in particular has become for some Catholics a time of extreme piscine indulgence - prawns, lobster, barramundi, oysters, sashimi tuna, mudcrabs all get consumed by the bucketload - sort of blurring the whole 'sacrifice' theme.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Bjam wrote:
Beanies (is 'beanie' an internationally used word? If not, it refers to the type of close fitting woollen hat as modelled by Bjam) are wonderful if your ears are cold...
My beanie was being worn because (1) I needed a picture of it for a friend, and (2) my room is bloody freezing all the time. Probably made fashionable by some celebrirty. Or me, because, y'know, everyone wants to wear what I'm wearing... But wearing beanies because it's cool (especially if it's 40 degree out, yeesh) is just plain silly.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Caravan Ray wrote:the full brimmed hat is the only acceptable (non-religous based) headwear for men
who want to look like someone's 70-year-old stepdad who collects muzzleloading rifles.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I want some muzzleloading rifles.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

c hack wrote:Cooking yourself is more expensive than buying crappy pre-made meals at the grocery store. Sucks that it's like that, but it is.

Yeah, and it's also VERY VERY painful.

oh...beanies=touque?

Yeah, I'll agree that this is a silly trend....although it's been in "fashion" for ten years or so now... of course I live in Canada, so touques have been worn here for ever, I just remember it as being the GEEKIEST thing you could wear, ...times change I guess.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Leaf wrote:oh...beanies=touque?
Are touques beanies with puff balls on the top?

Actually, I think of a beanie as one of those hats that has the propeller on it. I think what you guys are calling a beanie is (to me, at least) a skullcap. Or more often than not, simply a hat.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:the full brimmed hat is the only acceptable (non-religous based) headwear for men
who want to look like someone's 70-year-old stepdad who collects muzzleloading rifles.
I'd be offended by that - but it's too funny. Touche Mr Puzzle.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Where I'm from, the word "toboggan" is used to mean what y'all are calling "beanie." Yes, like the sled, but nobody in that region uses a sled, so the word "toboggan" is sort of up for rent. I'd never heard "beanie" referring to that type of headwear until I got to college, where everyone thinks I'm crazy for calling it a "toboggan."

And another thing--whenever I get into this discussion, the person I'm having it with, at some point, calls the beanie/toboggan a type of "hat." Maybe it's just me, but when I say "hat," I mean that it comes with some kind of brim. Caps are diminished hats; Caravan Ray's type of hat constitutes a full hat. But a toboggan (okay okay, beaner) is not a hat--it's more like a headsock.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

And by "beaner," of course, I meant "beanie." Except that by "beanie," I really meant "toboggan."
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

user wrote:And by "beaner," of course, I meant "beanie." Except that by "beanie," I really meant "toboggan."
always known it as toboggin... if it weren't for random people on the net... i probably wouldn't have known of the word... 'beanie' haha
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

Powerpoint slides, and more specifically the morons who use them in a presentation where they just read the contents of the slides to the audience. I can fucking read, thanks. If that's all you're gonna do, just email me with what you wanted to say. Preferably in plain ASCII text. I can read it in 5 minutes instead of listening to you drone for an hour.

People who write like they're paid by the syllable.

People who confuse illegal with immoral (and, more importantly, people who confuse legal with moral).

Graphic emoticons on message boards. I don't care how pretty it is, if I have to right-click the image and select properties to tell if someone is frowning or winking or whatever, it is not an aid to communication.

People who say "Well, *I* can do ___ so I don't see why you can't.". Because I'm not you, that's why.

People who say "There's no such word as can't". Yes there fucking is. You need a better dictionary.

People who look you right in the eye when you're on a motorbike, and then proceed to drive their car right at you. I know I'm more maneouverable, but I can't fucking teleport!

People who tailgate you and flash their lights to indicate that they want to overtake, when there's a whole queue of traffic right in front of you going the same speed.

People who overtake a whole queue of traffic and then get pissed at you when you don't let them in right at the front of it.

People who repeat exactly what they just said when I tell them I didn't understand them.

People who insist on answering the question they think you *should* have asked instead of the one you did.

People who applaud themselves or laugh at their own jokes (unless they're laughing 'cos other people are and it's infectious). Even worse, people who laugh at their own jokes before they've got to the punch-line, and are too busy cracking up to finish the joke.

People who insist on talking to me when I'm having an asthma attack, saying stuff like "How are you feeling? why don't you go outside for some fresh air?". One day I am going to reply "Well, I'm having an asthma attack so obviously I'm not feeling wonderful, and I'm staying inside because I've had asthma all my life and experience has shown me that cold air really makes it a lot worse, oh and by the way I'd find it a lot easier to breathe if I could just do that and not waste my breath answering your inane questions", and then keel over.

People who insist that I must watch their favourite film/read their favourite book when I've already explained to them why I don't think I'd enjoy it. Yes, I may be missing out, but there's already more art in the world that actually appeals to me than I could possibly hope to enjoy in one lifetime, so why waste my time on something that I think I won't like?

People who think goths are all satanists, or who think goths are always miserable.

Ambiguous technical specifications. I am not a mind reader, and do you really want some random geek deciding how your financial applications should function? No? THEN BE FUCKING SPECIFIC.

People who abuse capslock :)

People who abuse emoticons.
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.