These Things Kick Ass

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

also mister 15-16 puzzle kicks ass despite the fact that he is helping to perpetuate a stupid disagreement here, because after each stupid off-topic post about the stupid disagreement he makes up for it by making another post about something that kicks ass. kick ass.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Here's something that kicks ass, having a pseudo-celebrity get busted for lip synching on SNL, and try to blame it on her band.

What a great moment in television history! (though I didn't see in on TV, found it online..., there aren't any internet poweroff remotes yet...) :P

http://www.gawker.com/topic/ashlee-simp ... 024094.php
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Calfborg wrote: Don't bring everybody else down just because you're a bitch. Sooner or later, the person holding that fancy remote will find out what happens when you FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS.
First off I'm not a bitch. This was a healthy debate about something that, personally, is not going to FUCK SOME STRANGER IN THE ASS. If TV being turned off by some dude in a corner, eliminating your happiness in enjoying entertainment, is FUCKING SOME STRANGER IN THE ASS then personally that is sad. And we are not talking about slapping someone in the face.

My point is that there are larger issues in the world, but this gadget isn't one of the larger issues. I understand the idea of "you are not the boss of me concept". I also respect your need to state such a concept, but WHERE IS YOUR SENSE OF HUMOUR?!! It's a practical joke. Like taking the lid off of a salt shaker in a restaurant. Sucks when it happens in a restaurant, but your buddy beside you will have a good laugh. My prior posts were most meant as facetious to something I don't give a rat's ass about. I am passionate about our rediculous, indulgent ways and how they affect the larger picture of the world, but I just find it hilarious that a simple practical joke can turn into a terrorist act. Sounds like a good script for a TV show. :roll:

I also find it funny that people are so passionate about a little inocuous gadget that probably hasn't been really exposed out into the world on some grand scale, stirring up so much passion about turning off someone's TV set. Surely it can't constitute such a violent reaction, but if it does then I guess I fought the battle in vain. Seems the consensus is the gadget doesn't kick ass. *Shrug*

Still can't tell me that that thing doesn' kick ass. IT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

So does "Desperate Housewives".
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

tonetripper wrote:
Calfborg wrote: Don't bring everybody else down just because you're a bitch. Sooner or later, the person holding that fancy remote will find out what happens when you FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS.
First off I'm not a bitch.
I was referring to the person using the remote, not you personally. I do understand your point when using it as a practical joke. I've even used a universal remote in high school to turn on a tv during class. As a joke, the whole thing is fine with me, but I just don't agree with it as a 'statement'. That idea is just stupid.

Desperate Housewives is a pretty good show, by the way.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Hey Pablo, what industry do you work in? (Don't you WORK in film and television????)

See, if you watched more movies, you'd know that Calfborg was merely quoting John Goodman in the Big Lebowski.... yah lebowski...

You know what would kick ass? A little hand held remote that shuts off people's cars. That'd be cool.

You know what else kicks ass? That guitar player magazine that lists the 100 worst licks and riffs of all time. Now that is some mean shit, but funny too. I'd hate to be CC Deville right now....
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I used to turn TVs off (or change their channel) with my Palm Pilot (freeware download-four years ago). Wasn't big news back then.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Peaks In Valleys wrote:Here's something that kicks ass, having a pseudo-celebrity get busted for lip synching on SNL, and try to blame it on her band.
Another reason I love my Tivo! That was funny as shit. I mean depressing,
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

ya know... that would be good entertainment for a minute or two... shut down the big game right in the final seconds... then pin it on the ass that hit on your girl... "hey! that dude's got a remote! I saw him shut off the game!! Let's get him"

teeheehee....
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Peaks In Valleys wrote:Here's something that kicks ass, having a pseudo-celebrity get busted for lip synching on SNL, and try to blame it on her band.

What a great moment in television history! (though I didn't see in on TV, found it online..., there aren't any internet poweroff remotes yet...) :P

http://www.gawker.com/topic/ashlee-simp ... 024094.php

YEAH!!!

Dude, I was watching that, funny enough, I saw the first tune, and I was thinking.. this little lady is lip syching... how can SNL let her do that???? I thought it was SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!!! For god's sake.. then, when she started the next tune, I turned the channel cause I didn't want to sit through that shit again... damn... I missed it!!! Serves her right I say... but really, how stupid can any of them be for that to happen?? Some one is getting fired!!!

That whole thing kicked ass.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/10/24/125817.php

Ah... so THAT's what happened.
\

Well. Now don't we all look stupid.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx

Post by tonetripper »

Leaf wrote:http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/10/24/125817.php

Ah... so THAT's what happened.

Well. Now don't we all look stupid.
I know it's off topic to the thread, but just read in the paper that she was sick the night of the performance and that she had the backing tracks there to support her tired voice. Her manager father said it's done quite regularly with other artists of *ahem* her calibre or something to that degree. What a joke. Could you imagine Kieth and the boys playing to backing tracks on SNL?! SNL should be ashamed of endorsing such a shallow act.... on live television and everything........ bet you all want a TV-B-Gone now!!!!! :lol:
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

If you saw David Bowie kick off the Concert For NYC after 911, you saw a seasoned performer deal with some major technical gliches without flinching. I doubt most even noticed. I don't expect anyone to be able to do that, but yeah, at least stop the band and start over. Perhaps she'll learn.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

tonetripper wrote:First off I'm not a bitch. This was a healthy debate about something that, personally, is not going to FUCK SOME STRANGER IN THE ASS. If TV being turned off by some dude in a corner, eliminating your happiness in enjoying entertainment, is FUCKING SOME STRANGER IN THE ASS then personally that is sad. And we are not talking about slapping someone in the face.
totally seperate from the tv thing, you should probably watch 'the big lebowski'.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

jute gyte wrote:totally seperate from the tv thing, you should probably watch 'the big lebowski'.
Seen it. Ages ago though. Wasn't aware that he was quoting the Big Lebowski. Haha. Funny.......

By the way the Big Lebowski along with the Coen Bros. kick ass!!!!!!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

tonetripper wrote:
jute gyte wrote:totally seperate from the tv thing, you should probably watch 'the big lebowski'.

So if you were watching Big Lebowski (or any other excellent Coen Bros. movie of your choice) on TV and someone used a super secret gadget to turn it off right at your favorite part....
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

Hoblit wrote:
tonetripper wrote:

So if you were watching Big Lebowski (or any other excellent Coen Bros. movie of your choice) on TV and someone used a super secret gadget to turn it off right at your favorite part....
I would smile turning in all directions looking for Hoblit with my happy foam brick. :D

Either that or I might pick up that book that would've eluded me for the movie on TV or pick up my dusty guitar that needs a little more loving. In the end I'd be better for it...... don't tempt me Hoblit. I'm still thinking of sinking my life's savings into buying a bunch of those gadgets and sending them to public schools in America with a note of when to strike for all those kids on Super Bowl Sunday........ :lol:

They'll be hunting for tonetripper instead of Osama..... I'd make Osama seem like a pest. :wink:
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

*blinks*
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

<b>originally posted by tonetripper</b>

<i>
1. don't tempt me Hoblit.

2. I'm still thinking of sinking my life's savings into buying a bunch of those gadgets and sending them to public schools in America with a note of when to strike for all those kids on Super Bowl Sunday........
</i>

1. Yeah, that was just me poking you with a stick *SMILEY*

2. Dude... *SMILEY*

Actually...the whole time I was reading your posts on that I wanted to chime in but thought better of it. But for clarity..I want to mention that the Superbowl isn't just a tv show. It's not something that can just be played back later with the same effect as a regular tv show.

The Superbowl as well as most live TV have more substance than regular TV shows. They are EVENTS in which part of their charm is based on the fact that they are occuring NOW and that everyone watching is partly connected to the event itself. To turn off a TV at the exact moment something spectacular is happening during an EVENT is denying those watching it through that medium their connection to that moment in time.

I'm not trying to dig up the argument again I promise. There are folk out there who use the TV as a baby sitter... or live their lives and schedule around TV. I'm even guilty of it from time to time myself. But I just wanted to point out the difference in TV shows from Live events being broadcast. To deny someone a connection with a moment in time is different than turning off buffy right before she slices off a head.

Ok, move along...nothing to see here.
*SMILEY*
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

Hoblit wrote: But I just wanted to point out the difference in TV shows from Live events being broadcast. To deny someone a connection with a moment in time is different than turning off buffy right before she slices off a head.

Ok, move along...nothing to see here.
*SMILEY*
..... now if it was the final of the Stanley Cup....... well then I don't know what I'd do........... *smiley*

Probably get drunk and smash my guitar with my book. :D

Incidentally Hockey kicks ass!! *sniff*
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

Hoblit wrote: They are EVENTS in which part of their charm is based on the fact that they are occuring NOW and that everyone watching is partly connected to the event itself.
But you realize that they have actually put those shows on a 10 second sattelite delay. But I digress, you are correct..... it would be mean to strip away someone's pleasure of the actual event and seriously how many times during a football game do they replay the moment. Still funny to watch as an onlooker if you had no interest in a particular sporting event at how people would behave over a game. I know I'm guilty of it which is why I have to check myself at the door. I don't know how many times last year my girlfriend became a widow of the Leaf fan I came to be during the NHL season. *sniff* She loves me more this year. Not due to the TV-B-Gone but the NHL lockout. I think she has been looking over my shoulder..... hey what are you doing here....... nothing to see...... nothing to see..... never mind you aren't getting one....... :lol:

Incidentally guitars KICK ASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

the coen brothers are geniuses.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

fodroy wrote:the coen brothers are geniuses.
it is true,
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte