YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Rudedawg Raymond
A New Player
Instruments: What instruments am I proficient at? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that.
Recording Method: GarageBand iOS, Korg D1600, Tascam 424 MKiii
Submitting as: Jim Fallope & His Fallopian Dudes

Re: YOUR DEFINITION MAY VARY...(Meat Grinder Reviews)

Post by Rudedawg Raymond »

fluffy wrote: Jim Fallope and his Fallopian Dudes - So, my cat has a tendency to bite me when there’s a noise she doesn’t like and which she thinks I’m in control of starting and stopping. She bit me a lot during this song. I asked her for a clarification but she just meowed.
Wow. Please apologize to your cat for me. Perhaps it was the maracas? My cat always acts like something is attacking him when I start playing maracas. Echoed, triple tracked maracas, no matter how deeply buried, are even worse. Yes, I am going to blame it on the maracas, and assume that, without them, your feline companion would most definately have pissed in front of your speakers, thereby claiming my song as its own. My reviews will be coming shortly, possibly incorporating a new "cat urine" scale; it will be based upon the average daily urine production of an adult male cat, 30ml. Stay tuned for updates!
amateur, yet naïve.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Toby Roktot wrote:Fluffy,
The correct word is 'meet'....
You had me racing to the lyrics archive to sea if I had f-ed up...
TATJ
Thanks for the review. How would one "humanize" the drum machine?
That would depend on what you're using as a drum machine and how you're recording. If it's an actual physical drum machine device that you're recording to a multitrack recorder, see if it has any sort of humanize/randomization settings, or you can wibble the tempo knob while you're laying down that track or something. If it's a virtual drum machine or a stock loop that you're dealing with on DAW software, there's almost certainly a "humanize" button that will add in random variation to the drum hits.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Thanks again fluffy. I usually work with my old zoom so, I'll check for a humanize button. cya !!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

I really like (Charlie plays guitar), I don't think I have ever heard any thing like that. It made me touch myself. Is he selling Christmas CD's ?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Charles et Pierre
The music’s good, obviously what you put the most work into. And I think there are some good lyrical ideas in this. But I think you need a talented singer to pull off a song like this. You didn’t use a talented singer, so the song kind of turned out difficult to listen to.

Pigfarmer Jr.
Breakin’ the LAW Breakin’ the LAW. Maybe that goes on one repetition too long. The vocals aren’t in sync with the music, and there’s no treatment on the vocals. They get a little better on “throw us all away” because of the chorus effect you put on them. Drums need more fills. Try putting just a small bit of variation in on the ends of the phrases, like every 8 measures. The chorus melody sounds like “Her name is Rio and she dances on the plain”.

Glennny
The complicated drum beat distracts me from the complicated guitar rhythm and the fast-patter vocals. I like the vibe of the arrangement. Take some frequencies out of the vocal at somewhere around 200 to maybe make them less muddy. I like the vocal singing along to the guitar solo. Might have been cool to put a delay on that vocal line…

Jim Fallope
Groovy. I like that drum rhythm. ”Rock and roll meat grinder” is a nice line, though I would quibble with the prosody throughout. Couldn’t make out “one half ____ and one half KISS” but I liked the idea. The bridge probably would have been catchier if you had a full chorus of voices doing the “hey hey hey”. What’s with the messy last line?

Sockpuppet
Bloopy. Can’t make out much of the words… could have done with them a little less repetitive. I like when that buzzy bass comes in. I might have liked a 4-on-the-floor drum beat of this instead of all the atmospherics. It would have made that “snacks” refrain more of a chant with a driving rhythm behind it.

Charlie
“I’ve been through the meat grinder of life” is such a tired line I almost stopped listening, especially when you deliver it in a low guttural fake-blues kind of way. And then it goes into a sing-song kind of thing, which doesn't hold my interest for even one repetition. Maybe this is supposed to be somewhat experimental, what with the spacey kind of stuff going on behind the singer. Didn’t really turn out great, IMO, and holy shit does it ever seem to go on for forty forevers.

James Owens
I like the flute bit, and the amiable rhythm. If this came on in the background while wandering through a playlist, I would probably consider it refreshing.

Jerkatorium
Yeah, got a definite Billy Joel feeling in that patter. I kinda like that “whapoowaaaoooh” harmony (sorry, couldn’t figure out what you’re saying). Ha, just got to the distorted part. Nice contrast, nice doubled guitars. This kind of reminds me a little of Ranch on Suede in some ways (a high compliment). Can’t help but feel it’s a little slight, but I guess that’s no sin when you’re making a pop confection. But maybe a little more meat would’ve been nice… pun intended.

Toby
Nicely recorded I think. The flippety floppety kind of airy vocals work in this style. I like around 1:18 when the reverbed guitar (I think?) comes in. Sounds nice. Dunno how well the lyrics all flow together… it’s kind of like the concept is off in some way. I think I know what you’re trying to get at, but the raw term “meat grinder” is too harsh for the setting you’ve given it. It lends itself to a different type of poetry— square peg, round hole.

Inflatables
“another day another grinder, baby, welcome to my life” is probably the smoothest lyric of the fight I think. “Work a second job just to survive” is a little more obvious than my own personal taste appreciates— most of the lyrics in this song are a tad too on-the-nose. I think this is one of your better stabs at producing a song though, it sounds good! I like the variety of sounds and the vocal treatment.

Omega
I want to say this is well-recorded, but there’s something weird about it all. The vocals come through nice and clear and there’s enough bass, but the drums have absolutely zero impact aside from the very low frequencies of the kick drum. Everything is soooooo panned. When the piano comes in it gets a bit fuller and I like that. I like the whole bouncy section at 1:30 or thereabouts. Not quite sure you have the humor nailed down here for my taste— it’s like it wants to be an epic satire, but the lyrics kind of let it down because they’re not clever enough. I’d much rather you had taken it completely seriously. It’s too goofy, and because of that you lose the sense of anarchy that might have made it sound like a Nightmare Before Christmas outtake. Quite a bit of chops involved in all of this, though, so congrats on the performances.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Charles and Pierre Etienne: Good rhythmic interplay as always, and tasteful playing on all the instruments. The singing isn't quite as strong as on some other tracks, but given the subject matter, that may just be musical illustration at work. Pretty good composition, nothing spectacular except for the rambling vocal effect, but very comfortable and listenable. Clear, well-balanced recording and production.

Charlie plays guitar: Good lyrics, expressed simply and effectively, with a down-and-out feel to the vocals. The cadences and melody, if you can call it melody, suggest a grizzled, bent old singer with a crumpled face and a squint, grunting bitter memories from some low perch. On the other hand, the backing music suggests a scene from Forbidden Planet, which is fine, but apart from filling an otherwise silent background doesn't really add to the song.

glennny: A busy track with a low buzzing energy, interspersed with somewhat more spacious interludes, but with an overall closeness and denseness that is slightly claustrophobic. The cymbal seems too high in the mix, and the vocal recording is too subdued and has a muddiness that might benefit from equalization. The music carries the lyrics like flotsam on a fast river. This song has much interesting instrumental work.

inflatable vegetables: The guitars and vocals take centre stage to lend a strong "cool" factor; the drums and bass are also doing a great job in the background. The musical changes and interjections fit together well, everything working toward a unified effect. Stays interesting throughout, and feels like the right length. A very strong entry in the fight.

James Owens: I had no plans to enter, but then one evening this happened. I needed one of those grindy percussion instruments that spins around, but had to settle for some vaguely similar noises on the Portatone. The "Meat Grinder" shout was not inserted arbitrarily, contrary to rumours you may hear. It was added for the goofiness.

Jerkatorium: The harmonies remind me of the happy Whos of Whoville in the original animated version of The Grinch, and the lyrics are reminiscent somehow of a children's book or song, benignly naming the things you might find in a kitchen. This is interspersed with an emotional complaint that seems distanced from its own pain. Everything drifts along in this pleasant condition of disassociation, only to be disturbed by a heavy interlude, which I guess represents the meat grinder and perhaps the hidden anguish. The music is too vanilla to be captivating (not that there's anything wrong with vanilla; I love vanilla ice cream), but the song is interesting precisely for its absence of mood.

Jim Fallope and his Fallopian Dudes: A fun tune with a bouncy rhythm, entertaining lyrics, and an endearing if occasionally pitchy vocal, this suffers in the production: the percussion is buried, the instruments feel weak and thin, and the reverb on everything causes a certain blurriness. If your intent is to introduce some air into the sound, you could do worse than explore some presets on the free Ambience plugin.

Omega Unstroppable: This song stands out not just for its boldly comedic vocal delivery, intricate and varied arrangement, imaginative melodic turns, clean and well-balanced mixing and recording, and assured playing on a variety of instruments -- especially the impeccable drumming -- but also for its needle-pegging levels. It might be too weird for some, but it shows no shortage of talent. You bring this one off, if I can put it that way.

Pigfarmer Jr: Plenty of grunge energy, with a good hammering beat, badly in need of a driving bass. The vocal seems to be completely dry, and would benefit from some subtle spaciousness; even a straight slapback would help. The lyrical scan is often forced, which defeats the sharp rhythmic definition of the song. The genre doesn't demand sophisticated composition, and I think with the right production and a more crazily aggressive vocal this would be entirely convincing.

Sockpuppet: This is attractive for its bizarre quality. It has the right mix of spooky amorphous backgound, deadly serious riffs, disembodied vocalization, and absurd rambling to fascinate for the full two minutes. The repetitiveness is an architectural asset.

toby roktot: The song has a thoughtful, pensive feel, underscored by gentle, insistent strumming. The drums feel mechanical, as I think fluffy mentioned; one simple way to alleviate the monotony is just to drop them out sometimes, or overlay some inexpensive percussion like a tambourine to add life. The lyrics are dark, but I know where they're going. The melody and vocal delivery suit the sad banality of the situation, but with a small range and limited movement that makes it hard to capture the listener's imagination.

[EDIT] FULL DISCLOSURE: I forgot to vote for one of my picks, so I performed a work-around to vote for that one song. Another entry that was reasonably worthy picked up the extra vote. I didn't vote for anybody twice.
Rudedawg Raymond
A New Player
Instruments: What instruments am I proficient at? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that.

AJOwens wrote:Jim Fallope and his Fallopian Dudes: A fun tune with a bouncy rhythm, entertaining lyrics, and an endearing if occasionally pitchy vocal, this suffers in the production: the percussion is buried, the instruments feel weak and thin, and the reverb on everything causes a certain blurriness. If your intent is to introduce some air into the sound, you could do worse than explore some presets on the free Ambience plugin.
Thanks for the review. Yeah, this was supposed to be an acoustic country number with a train beat driving it, but I couldn't get the bass to sound right with the guitar. While I was listening to the bass independently with the perc, I discovered I actually like it better sans acoustic but didn't have enough time to flesh anything out. So I decided to go with the band you never really liked from the sixties previously unreleased demo rejected by the producer because he didn't like the now mythical and long since dead lead vocalist who was eventually fired by the manager at the insistence of the record company sound. That's a real genre, right? If I may ask, what is "ambience" and how would one go about using it? I'm actually reduced to recording everything on my iPhone right now (albeit with a analogue/digital interface and condenser mic) so options are limited. Everyone else, I promise I'm going to write reviews, but Christmas time is killing me and I don't know when I'll get around to it. Christmas Time is Killing Me; that would make a good song title, right?
amateur, yet naïve.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

Rudedawg Raymond wrote: If I may ask, what is "ambience" and how would one go about using it? I'm actually reduced to recording everything on my iPhone right now (albeit with a analogue/digital interface and condenser mic) so options are limited. . .
Ambience is Number Nine on the list of top-rated free plugins at http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... day-277953. But if you're recording on your iPhone, it probably wouldn't work. I say "probably." For all I know, there's an app for that.
Rudedawg Raymond wrote:
. . . Christmas Time is Killing Me; that would make a good song title, right?
Yes, it would. And I was reading somewhere that retailers are desperate for new Christmas music. But maybe not that one.
Rudedawg Raymond
A New Player

AJOwens wrote:Ambience is Number Nine on the list of top-rated free plugins at http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... day-277953. But if you're recording on your iPhone, it probably wouldn't work. I say "probably." For all I know, there's an app for that.
thanks for the info, sir.
amateur, yet naïve.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Every song in this fight has merit !! no bullshit, I really have enjoyed listening to them ... THANKS for the present !!!

JimFallope...i really like the shindig vibe. (ya know that's where g hawn started)....i can't find anything I don't like with this submission... top 40? , no, prolly not. but, not a bad b- side...

Omega.. i keep hearing... ' 1800-cash now!'... no, that's harsh.... this could be the b-side of a TSO cut... very nice , something different and obviously, intellectual... "dawn is rising, boys are riding the waves...."...and something else. I'm gonna focus on the surfing....I do that, most days when I'm home, usually at dawn.....sayin'

Charlie....another 'different' submission.... not quite as intellectual, no surfing references, but, ok.... a little long though

JamesOwens ... James this is soooo 'no matter what shape'....just brings a smile to me face !!!! you always impress me....but, the feeble are easily impressed !!

glennny...My favorite this fight. the drums, the guitar, the phrasing...all top shelf !!! (glennny, disregard what I said to James....i'm really smart !!)

C&P...solid song, nothing I don't like about this song....Thanks for the experience, seriously!!

sockpuppet ....I enjoy listening to this ... don't think it'll win the fight, but, could be a good runner-up

Toby...me, but, you know that already... story is based on an experience From about 30 years ago. LA, sometime girlfriend....she hooked for extra money around the holidays. She had a friend, died...knifed, dumped........cold case, open....

Jerkatorium...some parts I like, but, all in all, song just isn't as strong .... until the 1:58 mark when I just wanna turn it up to 11 !!! But, then, back to the hmmmm .....

Inflatable...This one is almost as good as glennny, but, not quite......but, close !!! thanks!! good lyrics

Pigfarmer...Ahhhh, simple punk !!! My genre, well, a long time ago. Still love it, tho...Thanks PJ!! I'd love to drum for your band !!
Uh, one thing though...Songs like this shouldn't go past the 2:15 mark.....
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Toby Roktot wrote: I'd love to drum for your band !!
If you are serious then I might just take you up on that offer.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

Toby Roktot wrote:Every song in this fight has merit !! no bullshit, I really have enjoyed listening to them ... THANKS for the present !!!

JamesOwens ... James this is soooo 'no matter what shape'...
I didn't get the reference, even though I was alive and learning to play bass in 1966. Glad I googled it!

[youtube]?v=hr21kmI72LU[/youtube]

The fact that the backdrop has meat cuts makes it even better.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

that puppet sock thing was kinda f reaky vote
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh my. Someone made a remix of my Meat Grinder, complete with video: