BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

SpinTunes 20 Final Results

Post by BoffoYux »

SpinTunes 20 Final Results
The votes have been tallied, and we have a SpinTunes 20 Champion. With an supermajority of voting contestants placing his song "Thorn" at first place, the clear winner of the Final Round, and thus the tournament as a whole, is Ironbark. Congratulations to our SpinTunes 20 Champion!

Read on for the voting details and links to judges' reviews!

Here are the full zoonymized voting results:
ST20Finals1a.JPG
ST20Finals1a.JPG (67.79 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Among the judges, Ironbark tied with The Alleviators for a joint first place finish.
ST20Finals2a.JPG
ST20Finals2a.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Follow the links for reviews from our judges:

Denise Hudson's reviews
Gray Porter's reviews
See-Man-Ski's reviews
Micah Sommersmith's reviews
Participant reviews and diescussion on the SongFight boards

Thanks to our judges, Denise Hudson, Gray Porter, Ian Moore, Kris, Lichen Throat and SpinTunes 19 Champion See-Man-Ski; to Tommy G for hosting the Listening Parties; Matt Schubbe for the Bandcamp cover art; and all our contestants for making a truly wonderful SpinTunes 20. I hope to see many of you return for SpinTunes 21! Until then, be well and keep making music!
Last edited by BoffoYux on Sat May 13, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoffoYux
Panama

Re: SpinTunes 20 Final Results

Post by BoffoYux »

ST20.4 Rankings and Reviews - Denise Hudson

1 The Alleviators
2 Ironbark
3 Sober
4 The Pannacotta Army

Read on for Denise's reviews!

Thank you for all this great music during Spintunes 20. This was a super quality group of songwriters and a consistently difficult bunch of songs to critique each round. I had a hard time giving critique at all and I tried to be sensitive while also keeping in mind that you all mindfully chose to submit yourselves to reviews. So if I soft-pedaled everything and did not give real opinions or suggestions that would also be disrespectful because in my opinion all of you should really be thinking of taking these wonderful songs on a continued journey that is only beginning here in this contest.

You’re all very superbly unique individuals with buckets of creativity and I’m grateful you shared your work with us, judges and each other. You make this community thrive and grow. It’s nice to see old names and faces and also see new ways people are doing things. It’s cool to see the impressive leaps in quality and risk taking of style and technique. I see a lot of growth from people I met a long time ago here and there’s also a lot of super interesting and talented new/not-so-new-but-new-to-me/actually-new folks. It has been exciting to get introduced to the music of more folks in this group of people, and I was really touched to be remembered here and that Micah thought of me to come back and participate in this way. I hope you all had a great contest for ST20 and hopefully I will find the time, occasion, and brainz to come back and put some musical-work in here sometime!

—Denise Hudson/rangerdenni/@suspiciousden

The Pannacotta Army - The Baglady Bossanova

I wasn’t initially sold with the concept of a breezy little ditty about the difficult topic of housing inequity rolled into this library visual. Libraries themselves are under attack in my neck of the woods and so this whole setup feels a little fraught right out of the gate to me. Then, this visual is rolled into a loosely Caribbean flavored beach vibes sort of number. So I wasn’t on it at first But the thought of classic lit melting the blues away and removing you from the harshness of reality became sort of lightly amusing and the obviously just-for-fun samba stylings (a guiro thrown in on an odd beat, a sort of clave sound here and there, casual jazz chords, oooos and ahhs). But it felt wintry and atmospheric and like a shopping mall in the cold season—I could imagine your scene setting. This is very nicely produced. A vacation sort of vibe around it and I bought into the thought that a book could be a respite for even those in the most dire of circumstances. May libraries always be a haven, to everyone.

Ironbark - Thorn

Another song touching on the topic of the unhoused. This is recorded beautifully. It’s a highly inspiring piece of work, actually. There are a lot of pauses. I don’t necessarily agree with all of them in the last verse, but also don’t disagree. A matter of taste but you have already pulled us so slowly through the song that a little momentum close to the end might not hurt much (although lyrics may justify being drawn out as well—could be argued). Although the melody is not being a hero and is very understated and at times stark—your lyrics are skillfully placed into nicely flowing phrases. The symbolism used in the lyrics is inviting and chains through the breath-like thoughts of a man going through an emotionally draining night. Love the layering and that slow build using simple piano and acoustic percussion sounds and scrapes as if at a cold door. Reminds me of stone statues outside and lampposts beckoning in the chill. No word is wasted either, lyrics on this are great. Drone-y feeling serves the purpose.

The Alleviators - Stone Lions

Af first, it’s just fine. It felt a bit awkward though honestly, at the beginning, just something about it. The instrument tonality against quality of vocals felt lovely and emotionally compelling. By end of V1 it has warmed up considerably. I can see this really lifting up a film or television project in sound and with its’ overall feel—“Let me face my paper tigers / hiding behind lions of stone.” The lyrics really lend themselves to this as well being very epic in direction. In fact, as the song develops on and on it really DOES do just that. It develops in sound, it develops in poise. It improves in passion, tightness, moxie, strength. It basically becomes a powerhouse of win and grabs you by the throat. It sounds like superhero space opera triumph music. Also, the voicing of the piano part in the chords is done in a Precisely Correct Fashion. If you wanted to please a piano player today—that was pretty much a slam dunk. Guitars are perfect, the build at the end is masterful. That end actually gave me chills. The song beginning maybe can be worked a bit, now that I get to the end of it, because that sound at the end is the sound of a hit, in my opinion.

Sober - A Place in the Choir

Melodically, this did come off like a journey, a meander, the melody was more stretchy than snap and catch. But what might feel like a meander did feel rather a Tolkien-worthy wander. A song about a feeling about a place like a place in a picture is still inspired by the concepts in that photo—and as an improviser I appreciate taking a suggestion as a catalyst, particularly if it gives an opportunity to showcase a room full of supportive local community and friends. So I think this song is really sweet. I hadn’t even started listening and felt predisposed to it from the bio, immediately thinking of particular in-a-pinch friends. The whole thing tasted good like banana bread during horrible freezes. So I identified with that, and also connecting with leaving parts of yourself behind, and with feelings of relationship in the lyrics—even before the song circle vibe kicked in. Other melodies and choruses of yours have had better hook or been stronger or even had flashier production or even tighter presentation, but this was just plain nice to hear and felt good—more like a tribute recording. I loved that you showcased your choir by itself, loved that you introduced them and brought them back, with the instrumental sections really emphasizing this feeling of journey.

Phlub - The Hobo’s Hideaway [SHADOW]

Your harmonies are silly (in a good way) and a lot of fun and this tune was a bit quaint and very Dustbowl Days. The style is a little vaudevillian, but it’s more the more straightman part of comedy and the style doesn’t come off as a gimmick. It reminds me of some of the social commentary that Ry Cooder pulled off in this theatric style (like when he did My Name is Buddy.) This is great production. Maybe was a bit long. Love how things fell on the beats, and how you kept the good waltz tempo real dance-y. And I really did get a cinematic picture of a time and a place and a character, and it all felt a little old-worldly.

Cavedwellers - I Can Explain [SHADOW]

Your bridge is hilarious. The guitar coming out of your bridge is hilarious. The whole end of the song coming out of the solo is hilarious. The solo itself, from tone to presentation, is really really funny to me. This is very clever, and of course tight. Maybe I would think this song more ridiculous if

1) I didn’t mad respect the cool things you do with tempo always

2) your guitars on the outro weren’t super cool and thusly, not ridiculous

3) you didn’t turn this into a mild to moderate niche conspiracy theory tune, which again—is sort of spy-cool and even though it seems sort of out there—you talk have that little toss off line about your POV and your NYE party and that tells us that this is Very Much Serious and to take you seriously as you are a Real Fan (so Not Ridiculous) and,

4) I myself didn’t spend a whole 3-8 hours most weekends screaming at my screen and telling everyone who will listen that it has been a curse on my family’s involvement in various fandoms that has doomed certain F1 drivers to ruin. So no, NONE of this is ridiculous. Not to me. We all have our stuff.

Nerding out this hard on something means that you have to write goofy, overly intricate, super skillful and hard to pull off works of art about super arcane mindsets and activities, using fitting musical environmentals. This is part musical mad-genius cricketstanning, part existential sound genre puzzle. So I really love how nerdy and (not) ridiculous this is.

Mandrake - Long Walk Home [SHADOW]

This is an interestingly presented tune. I like how you’ve handled the vocal. Could use more backing vocal, actually—maybe more layering, more padding. What you laid out was done so thoughtfully that you could have pushed on it a little more, even. I love all the little squirmy wormy synths. You’ll get this comment I’m sure but I really enjoyed the Animal Crossing feel to it. You definitely laid down a vibe. The chorus does feel a little bit more to me like a B verse if you don’t repeat the idea of the first two lines. I would get more of a chorus feeling from it if you emphasized it more and this more like an ABABAB until the end. I really buy that chorus at the end. I feel like normally a quickly paced, wordy 2 lined passage like this might get lost and have nothing to hang a hook on, but it played off so catchy I wanted it to be featured more strongly. You did give it a good harmonic stage to stand on, and musically this felt very much an evening day-dream, like the pinky-orange dusk of a video game.

See-Man-Ski feat. Sam Hemsworth - Where I Belong [SHADOW]

This is an odd little song. The open window was a good choice, because it felt very present and in the room in the recording. It was spacious and I existed there together with your vocals in the recording as a listener and you were both there in lockstep together. You matched each other in performance, and were really performing the lyrics as well. I appreciate you getting something in, that in itself was fabulous—I wish I had done so. The gentle way you sang “two ferocious lions” had me giggling so I’m glad you sang that twice. This was a raucous good time. A jolt of a tempo change at the end and just everything done with a hell of a lot of gusto and super enthusiastically sung. This was a real mood and a dramatic evening. It did give one the feeling of working hard to get somewhere and being repeatedly thwarted. The ending provided much mirth.

Hot Pink Halo - Our Missing Hearts [SHADOW]

Love your word repetitions, especially against the bubbling percussive background music “breath breath breath / voice voice voice” “no one’s lost / no one’s lost...” Kind of felt a bit like rushing through the library looking for things and then the overall sound would brighten. The phrase would lengthen. A discovery! “Find big ideas in small spaces” So I loved how the tempo and performance cadence of your lyrics matched up with their message and feeling, and how the music behind that supported things beautifully. It was a fast tune, sometimes leaving me a bit breathless as a listener, not in a bad way though. I’ve gotten more and more attached to your vocal style as time has gone on. Also—that was a lovely and very musical close to the song. Overall a strong and energetic tune, and I really enjoyed reading your bio— have this whole contest but this time in particular.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

ST20.4 Reviews and Rankings - Gray Porter

1 The Alleviators
2 Ironbark
3 The Pannacotta Army
4 Sober

Welp, this is it, boppers. Another strong group of songs that have been a pleasure to listen to. A lot of good songs about the homeless this round, that’s a sad reflection of our society.

The Alleviators - Stone Lions: Great take on the escapism of books that resolves into a determination to fight, bringing the lions into the fantasy works well. Love the dynamics and structure of the piece, how it ebbs and flows, the tempo change is fantastic. Beautiful layered vocals are the standout and take centre piece, the accompaniment is strong when it needs to be.

Ironbark - Thorn
: There’s a lot of beautiful poetry in the lyrics, the motif of the lion is super powerful, it s a touching and sad story that offers a strong emotional connection. The music is delicate and fragile, the lovely picked guitar line compliments the soulful vocals well, the melodica(?) solo is simple and strong, the pizzacato banjo(?, maybe just more guitar) adds subtle detail.

The Pannacotta Army - The Baglady Bossanova: Impressed by the specific details you’ve picked out from the photo. The character building in the lyrics is excellent, it’s reflective and descriptive without being sad. The music reflects the words perfectly, it’’s a danceable beat, there’s some delightful guitar work, was that some ebow dancing with the slide? Excellent all round.

: This backing is lively and vibrant, the mandolin(?) intricate and gorgeous, the bridging riff in particular is awesome, it’s a strong melody with a great chorus, the community choruses give good variety. The sentiment of the song is beautiful, the simplicity and warmth of the song shine through. The take on the challenge is interesting but a little too broad compared to other songs this round but whatever! This is another excellent song. :)

When ranking these songs I have attempted to strike a balance between how strong a take on the challenge the entry was and how much I enjoyed the song. I have attempted to temper my own musical preferences with how well I felt the artist executed what I thought they were trying to accomplish. Of course, the whole thing is subjective regardless.

For this round I thought all the songs pulled off what they attemped, I enjoyed them all very much so and they were all very different which is cool. There was no real difference in quality musically or lyrically, any minor flaws in production aren’t significant enough to affect the ratings. To rank them, I think Pannacotta, Ironbark and The Alleviators had stronger takes on the challenge and of those three, I think Ironbark and The Alleviators gave me the most emotional connection. There’s nothing really in it but in this case my slight musical preference will give it to The Alleviators. However, the contestants rightly pick the winner so we’ll see.

Cavedwellers - I Can Explain: I wondered how you were going to make this a cricket song out of this and you turned in a clever take. It’s a good story with a decent melody, the bass has a good bite. Musically it’s a little undeveloped up until the bass fill before the bridge, at that point it picks up with interest and variety. Overall this is a good song that could do with tightening up.

Hot Pink Halo - Our Missing Hearts: This is an interesting perspective on the challenge. The layers of synths are cool and engaging, the repetition in the lyrics builds off an insistent beat. It’s a good melody and I liked the harmonies, I think the production doesn’t do the vocals justice. Some parallel compression would go a long way.

Mandrake - Long Walk Home: This is a wonderful soundscape, there’s a blissful tone throughout and some evocative imagine in the lyrics. The 5/8 beat is cool and sparse, the synth are graceful and light, the vocal performance is good, liked the touches of harmony and pitch jumps in the melody. Everything is cohesive and all I enjoyed all of it, good jorb.

Phlub - The Hobo's Hideaway
: This is a charming song through and through. I enjoyed the character portrayal, sweet and sympathetic, the rhymes were fun, an excellent chorus. The upbeat 6/8 music reflect the lyrics well, the harmony on that one long “hobo” is a nice touch, the guitar was good but the production on on the solo felt thin.

See - Man - Ski feat. Sam Hemsworth - Where I Belong: I liked the melody, vocal performances and harmonies. The distorted guitar solo version of your anthem sounded cool, would have like to hear more of this throughout. Confused by the ideas in this one and felt too long for the scope, the dramatic piano feels like it belongs in a less minimalist arrangement.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

ST20.4 Rankings and Reviews - See-Man-Ski

1 The Alleviators
2 Sober
3 The Pannacotta Army
4 Ironbark

Introduction
And so we have arrived at the finale, well done to all the competitors. This has been a hard journey and I always knew judging was incredibly hard, but it really hits home how hard giving it a go. I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity and hope that I haven't gone off on one unnecessarily.

I did have a go at this, this made judging harder because I felt like massive hypocrite. A lot of the things I mention I am super aware I am doing myself, and probably worse.

Loudness
Averages
As always, I like to see the averages. I find this interesting as it gives me gauge of what to aim for when I attempt some kind of mastering on my own stuff.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Reviews

1. The Alleviators - Stone Lions
An emotive powerful take on the imagery placed. So much so that you actually gave me goosebumps whilst listening. The words are well crafted, the paper tigers line is great, and you delivered the emotion in spades.

Performance
You gave me goosebumps and I was totally emersed listening to you essentially pour your heart out. Bliss.
Music
I thought the music fitted well, I really liked the guitars following on from the vocals. Everything worked for me, you just managed to nail right at final hurdle, precisely when it matters.
Idea
You clearly have taken inspiration from the picture. What I liked about your take is that you didn't go with what you could see i.e. a library, the lions etc. Instead, you took a part of the image that was striking and based your song around that, and sprinkled a few story and book references i.e. paper tiger, new beginning etc. Really clever, and unique.
Lyrics
Loved them, subtle references to what stories and books, but you have everything focussed on the lions and the emotions that they made you feel. I was completely drawn in.
Production
I had a few niggles with the production. They are nitpicking. Firstly the drums sound out of place, I presume they are some form of superior drummer or ezdrummer sound. The problem is they didn't feel like they belonged with the music. I felt you could have done something to make them fit more, possibly some saturation or reverb to help blend it more.
The other thing I spotted, but this is really nitpicking, I noticed that you have the tail end of you guitars in between sections and it kind of sounds like a bumblebee flew in on your recording session.
Lots of speal about minor things, it sounded ground and captured the emotion in the piece.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
9/10
Music
8/10
Idea
9/10
Lyrics
8/10
Production
7/10
Total
41/50

2. Sober - A Place in the Choir
A much-needed positive spin on the challenge, I love your interpretation of it. For me, the challenge was about looking at the photo and taking from it what it means to you. You saw a place for people to meet and found something that is dear for you, I think that's really lovely. I also love how you have given something back to your community, I bet they loved listening to the track and that means so much more than anything you could get from this competition.

Performance
I'd be a fool to critise this, you are incredible. OK, the last 2 choruses are shaky and if I hadn't read the liner notes I would have said they need to be bolder and bigger to make it really feel like a choir. However, now I know to backstory I feel differently, it's about your community and that is them.
Music
I really liked it, the chorus was catchy and uplifting, the precision of how you play is wonderful.
Idea
I do like the idea of community and I love that you have involved your local community. There is nothing in the song that is directly referenceable to the photo in any way. I couldn't listen to it and have a picture of library in my head. However, the challenge was for the picture to inspire you, so it shouldn't really matter, but I would have liked it to be linked to the photo somehow.
Lyrics
For what you are going for, it ticks the boxes. You wanted to give something back to your community and show how grateful you are. That comes across extremely well.
Production
Everything sounded great. I just think you could have done some clever production trickery to make the backing vocals in the last 2 choruses bigger. They didn't feel like a choir in the grand scale that the rest of the track puts forward. However, I think that could take away from intimacy of the piece. I'm torn.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
8/10
Music
8/10
Idea
5/10
Lyrics
7/10
Production
7/10
Total
35/50

3. The Pannacotta Army - The Baglady Bossanova
I really enjoyed the story telling in this, the idea of someone seeking refuge in the library during the winter months works. I do have issues with the music, I think you did it on purpose, but I don't like how it sounds like I'm visiting Hawaii rather than being stuck in blistering horrible cold weather. I would prefer the music to sell the idea of it being cold and harsh and but comforting. Wrong time of year but some sleigh bells and a Christmassy feel, maybe.

Performance
Every played and sang very well, I loved the slide guitar, and it definitely has a summer appeal to it.
Music
The summer appeal is where I struggle on this, like I've alluded to. You specifically mentioned winter time, I found the lyrics and message compare to the music to be confusing.
Idea
I liked the idea, a feeling of hope for someone who is down on their luck is something I can get behind. I thought the story was told very well, and it was coherent. Unfortunately, it jump on a theme that others have followed (including myself) so you don't get that unique one of a kind feel.
Lyrics
Big tick for me here, your story telling is great, it was interesting there was no real hook, it is all verses which tell the tale of this homeless lady.
Production
All sounds good on this end, nothing I can really pick fault at.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
7/10
Music
5/10
Idea
7/10
Lyrics
8/10
Production
7/10
Total
34/50

4. Ironbark - Thorn
A heartfelt performance about the perils of the winter months and having a library provide refuge. I thought the music fitted well with the subject-matter. Admittedly I didn't clue on that it was a homeless person on first listen. The reason being is that you don't have anything apart from the line "lay my blanket on the snow" that kind of suggests they are homeless. The accordion is lovely.

Performance
I thought you delivered the sense of melancoly very well. I enjoyed all the instruments, and they sounded very nice in the mix.
Music
I thought the music blended well with the topic. You do get a sense of hopelessness in the way you have delivered it and I can get an image of someone wandering the streets looking for refuge in the music.
Idea
I like the idea, I'm fine with the sadness of the theme. Same as a few others, which doesn't help set it aside.
Lyrics
I thought these could have had a few more hints of the nature of the character of your story. I just thought they were having a bad day, if you could have included a few references to make it crystal clear that this person is homeless and struggling I think that could have added to the emotion of the piece.
Production
I thought it had a lovely quality to the mix, it built nicely and you introduced instruments in the right place. I didn't really pick up on anything in the mix.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
8/10
Music
7/10
Idea
6/10
Lyrics
6/10
Production
6/10
Total
33/50

Phlub - The Hobo's Hideaway [SHADOW]
Another song about a hobo, that is true, but where this is different from the rest is that it doesn't hide from the fact that it is a song about a hobo. I really like that you have just laid it out and made it without doubt that you are singing about a homeless man taking refuge in a library.

Performance
It's played well, the standout for me are your harmonies. I really enjoyed your "The Hobo" sections and how you brought them in the elevate your vocals.
Music
The music fits well with the theme, you definitely get the sense that you are singing about a guy who is down on his luck and is desperate to just find somewhere to curl up, read a book and forget the world.
I did find it very repetitive, it feels like the same thing throughout, and it gets a bit much. Also, because you have buried your solo in the mix even the instrumental section doesn't feel like it changes.
Idea
You like others (including myself) have gone for a person down on there luck looking for refuge. Where you differ though is you are very clear about that, you know it's about a homeless guy and it's not abstracted away, which I really liked.
Lyrics
I loved the idea of going between libraries from the train tracks. I felt you told the story very well
Production
Overall it sounded nice, the only criticism I had is in the instrumental section. The soloing instrument just gets lost in the mix.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
7/10
Music
6/10
Idea
7/10
Lyrics
8/10
Production
7/10
Total
35/50

A touching fast pace synth track that uses the idea of finding a book to describe a loss. I found it interesting that you are singing about something is very sad and irreversible but describing it as not lost, just not found yet. Possibly you are hinting at meeting again in another life.

Performance
I liked the synths and how they are played. I don't feel the vocals quite fit for me, I felt they needed to be a bit tighter and I didn't feel the sense of loss and hope in your vocal delivery. I do think a lot of that is to do with the natural reverb that seems to overpower your vocals, but it just didn't quite fit for me.
Music
I liked the music, it was fast and creative and held my attention throughout.
Idea
I liked this a lot, you have taken something that obviously meant a lot to you and put it in a song. The song is drenched in library references which is relatable for someone outside your circle just focusing on the photograph.
Lyrics
I thought you described the sense of loss and grief poetically really well. They have personal references only you would understand e.g. "East to West" only really means anything if you read the liner notes, but because you have also described the idea of looking for a lost heart like you would be looking for a book in library, which is very relatable.
Production
I liked the synths, I just felt the treatment of the vocals were off, it sounds like you have recorded it in a small room and you are getting the natural reverb of the room. Unfortunately, for my taste and the blend with the clean synths, it sounds wrong. If you could get a dryer vocal alongside it then you might be able to control the level of reverb, but if it is in the mix already that would be hard to fix.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
5/10
Music
6/10
Idea
7/10
Lyrics
8/10
Production
5/10
Total
31/50

A song, which unfortunately for me, is about one of my least favourite topics, sport. Worse than that, it's about cricket (ah well at least it's a British sport). Well, your song did make it sound interesting at the very least. It was fast-paced, changed all over the place and had a nice hooky chorus. I may not enjoy the topic, but you almost sold it to me, almost, but not quite.

Performance
Nothing sticks out as odd or badly performed, I wasn't bowled over, there was no magic that gave me goosebumps, but it was very well performed.
Music
Lots of different artists popped into my head when listening. At first there is obvious Who comparison except they can't explain it. I also got a bit of a Manic Street Preachers Holy Bible vibe and the chorus reminded me of Blur (but I think that is probably the choice of Century as a hook)
There is a lot going on here technically that I can hear but couldn't tell you what you are doing, all I know is that it shifted like a mofo, and it did it seamlessly.
Idea
I wasn't a fan, from a personal standpoint I'm not a sporty person and I find cricket to be boooooorrrring! Most importantly for me, even though it does sound like the picture inspired the thought, reading through your liner notes (which ticks the box). I couldn't join the dots that lead to you thinking i.e. I wouldn't have been able to go library -> Cricket💡.
Lyrics
Lyrics are compelling, lots of dates and facts that are not quite spelt out but interesting enough to keep you engaged. I didn't like the "I can explain" repetitiveness, just felt like you copied what the who did but in the verses instead of the chorus.
Production
I sounded good, but can't help but think you have used that modulation effect on your guitars a hell of a lot in the competition. I would have liked a bit of variety on the sound, but if that's your thing, who am I to judge.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
7/10
Music
7/10
Idea
4/10
Lyrics
6/10
Production
6/10
Total
30/50

An awkward heavily synth based track which kind of feels like Mario decided to do some research at the local library and is making his way home. I found this challenging, I spent quite a few minutes counting 1,2,3,4,5 in my head to try and find the pulse (I was very happy when I did BTW). Musically I find this confusing. You mentioned in your liner notes this about walking home as the sun sets, when I go for a stroll I don't tend to walk in 5/8. I suppose it does give that sense of excitement about the cool stuff you have discovered, and it feels like it is a computer game. I just would have pictured walking home as the sun sets to be a bit more peaceful and less chaotic.

Performance
I loved the synths, they are all over the place and really bounced around the place. I thought the chorus was really good, and that's the point where I got the 5/8 rhythm. The verses were a bit ropey vocally though, there were a few dud notes in there that could have used another take.
Music
I didn't feel this gave the right vibe in my head. When I go for a walk it is to help me clear my head, I have a steady pace and I take in the scenery as I walk. This feels like a kid has just eaten whole bag of sweets and is jumping around the room.
Idea
I liked your take on the idea, you took what you saw and made your own. Can I put the picture in front of me and see that, I'm afraid not, the sound and vibe to me of your track screams 8 bit video game soundtrack.
Lyrics
They were OK, they didn't really captivate me, but you did sprinkle in a few choice words that you could tie in with a library theme.
Production
I thought this was fun to listen to and it sounded good. I think you could have tightened up your vocals in production, a bit snipping and pasting might have sorted out some of the ropeyness I mentioned.

LUFS
LRA
Peak
Performance
5/10
Music
4/10
Idea
5/10
Lyrics
5/10
Production
6/10
Total
25/50
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

ST20.4 Reviews - Micah Sommersmith
What a great set of songs to end SpinTunes 20 with. Read on for my reviews!

The Pannacotta Army - The Baglady Bossanova

The production and performance elements are flawless here. You’re working within an established genre and doing so faithfully, with the possible drawback that the result sounds more like pastiche than a genuine personal creative expression. That makes for some dissonance between the music and the lyrics that makes it hard for me to connect to the song on an emotional level.

This American listener consistently hears “She’s nothing but clothes” as “She is nothing but clothes” rather than what I suspect is the intended meaning of “She has nothing but clothes”. Maybe the double meaning is intentional; regardless, it’s the most striking lyric in the song to me!

Ironbark - Thorn

A gorgeous, heartbreaking song that pulls poetry out of everyday language: “a normal man”, “I’ll get by”... the lyrics and the music are unadorned and stark, and exactly the right choice for your take on the subject matter.

The Alleviators - Stone Lions

An epic, engaging song about finding strength in books and carrying that strength out into the rest of your life. The drums don’t quite feel like they fit with the rest of the song, but otherwise pretty much everything works here. I particularly like how the coda reconceptualizes the chorus hook in 5/4 time. Both the piano and Beka’s voice sound fantastic!

Great mandolin playing, and the fiddle playing is nice too: it holds its own among the other instruments in a way that it didn’t quite manage in your Round 3 song. Between the instrumentation, the upbeat feel to the music, and the sincere, life-affirming lyrics (and tangentially, the connection to your sailing museum), I can’t help but compare it to the greatest song ever written and find it coming up short, which is hardly fair. On its own merits, it’s a lovely song and a lovely tribute to your community. The middle instrumental section is pretty great.

Between the quick tempo and the syncopation, your choir didn’t quite nail the chorus, and the a cappella section sounds pretty hesitant; then when the instrumentation comes back they’re buried. Incorporating a live group recording into a studio track is a challenge, that’s for sure.

Phlub - The Hobo’s Hideaway [SHADOW]

Along with The Pannacotta Army and Ironbark, this completes the trilogy and is surely the most light-hearted of the three. Fun harmony, engaging melody, and well-constructed lyrics on the whole, although it bothers me perhaps more than it should that you seem to think “flagrant” is simply a synonym for “obvious”.

Catchy chorus, fun story, congrats on your Gleebleverse-level commitment to cricket songs. Listening to the opening riff feels like playing a game of “guess which eighth note will get dropped this time”, which is not my favorite game. Sadly, I confirmed with a reference librarian at Oshkosh that they do not have any hard copies of Wisden.

You say this is the most pop you’ll ever go, but I hope you come back to this sound world at least occasionally, because there is some very cool stuff going on here. We all have to find the balance that we’re comfortable with between accessibility and individual expression. To me, this has a lot of the character I’ve picked up from your other two songs, combined with an engaging melody, thoughtful lyrics and a confident delivery. Well done.

See-Man-Ski feat. Sam Hemsworth - Where I Belong [SHADOW]

Your voice is in fine form and the piano playing is engaging and propulsive. The lyrics feel a bit sketchy: where you belong is… locked out of a library? I’m not sure what to make of the lyrics, nor of the “Star-Spangled Banner” quote from the guitar at the end (unless over there you associate the tune with a different song entirely, which I know is the case with e.g. “God Save the King”/”My Country ‘Tis of Thee”).

A trademark HPH cascade of thoughtful lyrics, that in this case get a little lost among the (admittedly delightful) bleeps and bloops. I like the central idea of contrasting "Lost" with "Not Found", but the lyrics go by so fast that "Not Found" doesn't actually stick out as an important lyric while listening.