Colorful, shiny, terrifying (Rainbows and Robots reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Colorful, shiny, terrifying (Rainbows and Robots reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Post your reviews here in this thread.

Your lyrics can go over there in this other thread: viewtopic.php?t=12525
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Colorful, shiny, terrifying (Rainbows and Robots reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
tomdg
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: tomdg

Post by tomdg »

Balleando Gaiundos: Too joyful not to like. Like the shift in tempo, the guitars are spot on, and the baroque-pop keyboard is love. Could be a Sabaton backing track - has this fallen through a time-warp from their album about the great robot uprising of 2024?

Berkeley Social Scene: I like the doubled guitars in the intro, the held chords in the verse then feel a little bland by comparison. The ending is cool, love the penultimate chord and cadence.

Hostess Mostess: Nice opening riff. When the drums come in I feel like I interpret the time signature differently, clever. The tonality around the flat 5th chord is interesting. Shades of early Rush - I like the epic scale of it, at the end it felt it could have shifted into a different movement. Probably my favourite.

Johnny Cashpoint: The cliche line is funny (I'm reminded of the Half Man Half Biscuit christmas song). I like the feel of the 80s keyboard in the second half. Nice ending.

Pulpo Jamon: I like the opening half-second or so, I'd have liked more like that. I'm not sure about the repetitive chords or the parallel harmony (this don't feel like home). Good use of sound effects. I like the ending.
PulpoJamonJoe
A New Player
Submitting as: Pulpo Jamon

Post by PulpoJamonJoe »

Hostess Mostess - Really cool! I love how the song builds. I wouldn't say this sounds like tool, but it reminds me of the parts I like best about tool. I really like the amount of fuzz you're using, you don't really blast it out even at the loud parts and I think that sounds awesome. Great singing too. The chorus part where it builds feels unusual and fresh each time you hit it. Nice work!

Johnny Cashpoint - Cool sounds on this - I like how it goes from dire to playful. I dig that zap at the end too!

Berkeley Social Scene - Triumphant! I like how many parts there are to it, and how the song slides from section to section. It's got real motion to it and I dig it. I would like to hear the lyrics a little better, it is maybe too bassy? I think I hear clones and droids, which makes me hopeful this tune is about star wars! So good.

Balleando Gaiundos - When I saw the name Rainbows and Robots for this week I was hoping for some great electronic arpeggios - and you delievered! I think the guitar sounds like the robot, the synth sounds like the rainbow. So fun. Great work.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Balleando
"this intro is epic" I thought, and then it never ended and the song did... disappointing. Unfortunetly SF doesn't like insturmentals in general. But this is a good basis if you want to build on it later.

BSB
Think the guitar might too loud in the mix. It made your very nice vocals drown out a bit. Still enjoyed it. Vote.

HostessMostess
This wouldn't feel out of place on a late 70s early 80s Rock station. The guitar attacks, the vocals are pleasent to listen to. Best song in the fight.

J$
Not much to go off of. It's kinda neutral to me. Have a feeling this was a rush job lol.

Pulpo Jamon
This has a chill ambience that I really like. I hope you do more fights, I see you only have one other song in the archive and you won it. Not surprised. Vote.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Balleando Gaiundos and Pulpo Jamon tie!