THEMESONGFIGHT! 2005 ("OPEN SEASON")

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Make a song.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Hoblits "Tonetripper" is so Tonetripper!!! :P Even the vocal tones and the instrumentation mix.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

michael gum wrote:Haha, "he's won two or three songfights, which I can't seem to do". Great line, I laughed...
it's "two of three" ... thanks!
And Jim Tyrell (and everyone else), I'm sorry I forgot about this and don't have a song. I feel really bad :(
umm, well, stop feeling bad and write it NOW. just because the due date is past already does not mean that you're off the hook! you've got your theme song, now write one for jimt.... or maybe i'll add a verse to the song saying you're a welcher. ;)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

michael gum wrote:Haha, "he's won two or three songfights, which I can't seem to do". Great line, I laughed...

And Jim Tyrell (and everyone else), I'm sorry I forgot about this and don't have a song. I feel really bad :(
Quit feeling bad. Write your song. I'll give you another month to do it.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

boltoph wrote:Hoblits "Tonetripper" is so Tonetripper!!! :P Even the vocal tones and the instrumentation mix.
And the lack of a themesong for me. so Tonetripper! :)

Hehehe, no, only joking - I officially let you off the hook, TT. I don't really get off on receiving, so no worries. Also if anyone else fails to do their bit, I'll take up the slack and write another. I'm eye-ing that Jim Tyrell slot as we speak ....

Damn, that second paragraph came out a lot gayer than I intended :)

j$
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

TT's computer has been at the computer shop for about 3 days, apparently the shop has been closed with no dude working in it...needless to say, he's a bit worried about where his pc might be right now, or more to the point, how many pieces it might be in....

I have no such excuse...I'm just late, but each day brings me that much closer. Soon Dre!
michael gum
A New Player

Post by michael gum »

mkilly wrote: Quit feeling bad. Write your song. I'll give you another month to do it.
Hooray! I thought since it was overdue I had like until tomorrow or some crap. So yeah, I'll do it.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

boltoph wrote:Hoblits "Tonetripper" is so Tonetripper!!! :P Even the vocal tones and the instrumentation mix.
Thanks, I did study his music and incorperated his stuff into his themesong... riff guitars...grungy bass...the keyboard effects and such. I couldn't emulate his voice though..so I just went with my own bluesy approach there. But thanks for noticing that.

I felt Caravan did some of the same for me.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Ok, so muchos apologies to J$ for not having my rendition of him done on time, but I've been very busy with work (feast or famine) and I have been using someone else's computer to do stuff cuz my computer has been having hard drive issues and my computer guy has been off work sick with my computer in his shop fixed (grrrrrrr). I can't spend too much time on this one as it's not mine. I will endeavour to do this thang for you my man J$. I just want it to rock you, and no I'm not flirting with you. Ok, maybe a little. :wink:

Hoblit, I love you. That was the funnest couple of minutes I spent listening to a tune about me (like when have I ever heard a tune about me that wasn't done by me?). I'm not sure whether to blush, run, find you in Tampa, marry you and have kids with you, or be embarrassed and hide in a hole about the monstrous tongue in cheek that could possibly be going on in this tune. Very funny...... that made my day. Thank you. :D
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

sausage boy wrote:yeah, i just want to hear my song.
Just got back into town, so your song will be about a week late. It will be good though.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Freddielove is full of love.

I mean it!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

fluffy wrote:Freddielove is full of love.

I mean it!
fluffy...did you fill him full of love?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

No! He was like that when he got here.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hoblit wrote:
Thanks, I did study his music and incorperated his stuff into his themesong... riff guitars...grungy bass...the keyboard effects and such. I couldn't emulate his voice though..so I just went with my own bluesy approach there. But thanks for noticing that.

I felt Caravan did some of the same for me.
Yes - that was my plan - but I found your shoes too big for me to fill. Though I gave up actually trying to sound like Hoblit - I'm glad that some of that idea still shows through. It was certainly inspired by some repeated listenings of "Accelorator" and "Moonshine"

I had originally intended to do a copy of your style from your "Moonshine" entry - some hillbilly rock complete with a bad southern accent - but it didn't really work. What you got was 2 half-written attempts at a song sort of stuck together
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Freddielove wrote:
sausage boy wrote:yeah, i just want to hear my song.
Just got back into town, so your song will be about a week late. It will be good though.
I never doubted it for a second
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Songfighter since back in the day.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Did Sober skip town?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

He's been on IRC.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

My "Ballad of Caravan Ray" entry is finally arrived and is posted on Bjam's website as above. Link is also available from Marcus' first post on this thread.

Caravan....enjoy!

For everyone else the lyrics are posted in the lyric section along with notes explaining the background to the lyric's contents and their relevance to Caravan Ray.

This was fun!!!!! :D
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Fluffy is my 'Q'

Post by stueym »

I promised myself I would not post any comments on the other themefights until mine was done and posted....so with that out of the way... :-)

Fluffy....Thank you, thank you thank you!!. :D
I love my IMOM theme song.

Bjam also pointed me at your previous work-in-progress song on the 'Family Guy' theme and I thought that was hilarious too. Many thanks for capturing the Stueym zeitgeist. Extremely appreciated!
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

stueym wrote: "Ballad of Caravan Ray"
Stuey! What can I say :D

I feel like you have stripped me naked before the whole community...I'm glad that your song has me suitably aroused.

I particularly like the chorus and the idea of Queensland mariners giving praise of thanks to a minor bureauocrat in an office in Brisbane!

I know I gave you a bit of information about myself - but I'm guessing you have done a bit of serious Googling to dredge up some other little bits of trivia there. You aren't a stalker in your spare time are you? I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a verse in there about how I was a master winemaker who developed a remarkable Shiraz for Penfolds in 1957.

Anyway - job well done - I'm very impresssed - very Johnny Horton-esque
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

Caravan Ray wrote:
stueym wrote: "Ballad of Caravan Ray"
Stuey! What can I say :D

I feel like you have stripped me naked before the whole community...I'm glad that your song has me suitably aroused.

I particularly like the chorus and the idea of Queensland mariners giving praise of thanks to a minor bureauocrat in an office in Brisbane!

I know I gave you a bit of information about myself - but I'm guessing you have done a bit of serious Googling to dredge up some other little bits of trivia there. You aren't a stalker in your spare time are you? I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a verse in there about how I was a master winemaker who developed a remarkable Shiraz for Penfolds in 1957.

Anyway - job well done - I'm very impresssed - very Johnny Horton-esque
You are most welcome and yes I did have to do a little bit of CSI on the net to work out what you might be guilty of and what not.

I did want to give you credit for that as well but I was concered that the SF'rs would get too seriously excited about that factoid.....wondered for a few moments about your father/grand-father's background and why you were not now independently wealthy from this great vinicultural discovery :-)