Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

The Da Vinci Code

Post by Sober »

If anyone's interested, here's my somewhat extensive review of the book:

*Edit: I was gonna link to it, but the page it is on has music playing that can't be stopped. I'll just paste it here, as I'm sure you hate that as much as I do.
  • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Abso-fucking-lutely incredible book. Dan Brown is fucking brilliant. The book makes several brave but well-researched and informed accusations toward the Catholic Church. It claims that the Bible is missing books, taken out by the early leaders of the church for various reasons, including texts written by Jesus himself. This, to me, is incredibly easy to believe. We've been making well-documented and accepted revisions to the Bible for hundreds of years. You read the King James version of the Bible in church. Or perhaps you read the Modern Man's Bible - rewritten entirely in today's language. It's fact that there were originally over 400 gospels. Why is it hard to believe that the Church might pick the ones that best served themselves?

Church groups are holding meetings where they use the Bible to disprove The Da Vinci Code. That's hilarious to me, because the Bible is incomplete. Also, I'm certain that at least %80 of the people teaching these lessons haven't read a single word from The Da Vinci Code, except for the short misleading quotes found in the lesson manuals handed down from their church leaders.

I read the Bible. I found it to be untrue. I didn't go to a seminar where someone TOLD me it was untrue, and listed to me hundreds of reasons WHY, I fucking read it for myself, so I could form a fucking educated opinion. I challenge every Christian in America to read the fucking book. If you read it with an open mind, like I did the Bible, and still think it's untrue, then I'll respect your opinion. Otherwise, you are a fascist.

One thing I find amusing is how most Christians, when reading Greek mythology, will laugh and say "how silly they were!" So... Having Apollo, the Sun god, race across the sky in his chariot of fire is silly, but Moses turning a stick into a snake, nevermind parting the Red fucking Sea, is perfectly logical?

Religion is, and always has been, man's attempt to rationalize and explain natural phenomenon he cannot understand. Every religion has a creation story (most are strikingly similar to the Christian story), every religion has stories that explain natural phenomenon (the Christian rainbow story, the Greek echo story, the Native American wind story), and every religion has an afterlife story (most religions are pretty uniform on this one - good people go to a good place, bad people go to a bad place, etc.).

Beyond explaining natural phenomenon, religion is a method of record keeping, as well as a way to shape the socially acceptable actions in a culture. Stories of rewards coming to those who are virtuous are abundant in every religion's scripture. The only thing that really changes from faith to faith is what is considered a valuable personality trait: The Greeks valued cleverness and strength - Oddyseus possesed both. Christians (supposedly) value chastity, charity, and obedience. Wits and strength were valuable assets to the dominantly warlike culture of Greece, and therefore exalting these charictaristics in a hero would be beneficial to the nation as a whole. Obedience and charity are valuable traits in today's society, and are thus highly visible charictaristics of people in religious texts.

Women, take a look at yourselves. Take a look at your role in history. Even today, the glass ceiling is VERY real, and every single one of you know it. Original sin was pinned on YOU. YOU tempted Adam. YOU can't be a priest. YOU came from Adam's rib, he created you, you owe your life to MAN.

The fact that there are women who are fighting this book proves that the Catholic Church's ongoing deception has worked. The Church is responsible for every single inequality you face.

The book also talks about the Church's extensive smear campaign against the old religions, specifically paganism. I knew little about the pagans before reading the book, besides the fact that they worshipped nature.

Historically, the pentacle is a symbol of perfection, with strong ties to femininity and what the pagans called the goddess. Today, the first thing that comes to mind when people see a pentacle is devil-worship. Womanhood.... devil-worship... coincidence? Many other pagan symbols and traditions were recast as evil. Nature itself was considered evil, most notably by the Puritans. Dancing is still considered "un-Christian" by many religions. The act of sex, once revered as a sacred miracle, became a shameful and wicked act.

The Da Vinci Code is the first Dan Brown book for me to read, and it certainly won't be the last. His style, his wit, and his creativity are nothing short of inspiring to me. Not only is The Da Vince Code filled with refreshing insight into our own history, it's also a great story. It's not historical fiction per se, but it's something like that.

My review here skimmed over many of the issues discussed in the book, but I am 1,500 miles from home right now, so this is all I care to write at the moment. Perhaps I'll write a more in-depth analysis of the book at some point.

I used to entertain thoughts of writing a book. This has inspired me to reconsider the task.
🤠
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

my un-educated point of view... but if there is an anti-christ and it does come... i'm pretty sure it'll be part of the catholic church...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

To which a side-reference of John Steakley's Vampire$ (or the John Carpenter movie of almost the same name) becomes a lighter-hearted and valid side trip, PJ.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Sober: go read Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and come back when your viewpoint has progressed beyond 19-year-old spit and bile.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

1.) Hey, are you reviewing it as a novel or as a nonfiction book? Too much of your review is devoted to "proving" that it's plausible (see #2), but that's not why we read books, is it? Especially novels. There is fact in its premise, sure, but The da Vinci Code doesn't even purport to be nonfiction.

2.) You say fuck a lot, therefore you must be right.

3.) Of course the Bible is incomplete. I wouldn't want to purchase 400 gospels in one book. Oh and hey, many of the "missing" gospels are out there to be read. I've read portions from Thomas, for example. A man on the street bumps into Jesus and Jesus delivers a death curse for it. The man drops dead. I can see why the Catholic Church wouldn't want that there.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

FANTASTIC BOOK.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Generic wrote: 3.) Of course the Bible is incomplete. I wouldn't want to purchase 400 gospels in one book. Oh and hey, many of the "missing" gospels are out there to be read. I've read portions from Thomas, for example. A man on the street bumps into Jesus and Jesus delivers a death curse for it. The man drops dead. I can see why the Catholic Church wouldn't want that there.
this just goes to prove my theory that jesus is a badass.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Generic wrote:A man on the street bumps into Jesus and Jesus delivers a death curse for it. The man drops dead.
Is it Jesus's fault the guy couldn't make his saving throw?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

You've been playing a lot of D&D lately, haven't you?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Generic wrote:You've been playing a lot of D&D lately, haven't you?
Nah, not in many years. Just thought I'd reprazent, given the recent anniversary.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

That makes sense. Now stop posting. I'm trying to check the other sections. :P

Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

c hack wrote:Sober: go read Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and come back when your viewpoint has progressed beyond 19-year-old spit and bile.
Public Service Announcement:

NO ONE YOUNGER THAN C HACK CAN FORM AN INTELLIGENT THOUGHT.

On behalf of 'youngsters, whippersnappers, and hooligans' everywhere - fuck you, man.
🤠
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

The Sober Irishman wrote:
c hack wrote:Sober: go read Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and come back when your viewpoint has progressed beyond 19-year-old spit and bile.

On behalf of 'youngsters, whippersnappers, and hooligans' everywhere - fuck you, man.
Ah, the land of the teenager. Where everyone's either oppressed or oppressing, and everything can be fixed with a liberal application of love and/or hate.

I'm completely serious -- you should read that book. It's very hard to get through, but worth every minute.
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

c hack wrote:Ah, the land of the teenager. Where everyone's either oppressed or oppressing, and everything can be fixed with a liberal application of love and/or hate.
Man, I can't wait til I'm "older," so I can make incredibly accurate, while at the same time general, judgements on everyone born after me. I guess I'll start now: John M, Drew Tetz, Poncho: Nothing you ever say will ever be correct, because you are younger than me. Wow, that feels pretty good. Now I understand why you do it all the time.

Wait, when I turn 20, do my opinions automatically have more worth? Is that how it works? Or do I just go from being a "stupid teenager" to a "liberal handsome fellow?"
🤠
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I liked Da Vinci Code a lot.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

c hack wrote:Ah, the land of the teenager. Where everyone's either oppressed or oppressing, and everything can be fixed with a liberal application of love and/or hate.
Man, I can't wait til I'm "older," so I can make incredibly accurate, while at the same time general, judgements on everyone born after me. I guess I'll start now: John M, Drew Tetz, Poncho: Nothing you ever say will ever be correct, because you are younger than me. Wow, that feels pretty good. Now I understand why you do it all the time.

Wait, when I turn 20, do my opinions automatically have more worth? Is that how it works? Or do I just go from being a "stupid teenager" to a "liberal handsome fellow?"
Look, teenagers are retarded. Very few (an estimated 1 in every 10,000 births) escape this condition. If you want to speed up the process of unretardation and have your retardation not extend into your 20's (or 20s), consider these steps:

1. When someone holds an unflattering opinion of you, consider shrugging it off, or writing the guy off as a jerk, instead of telling the person that their opinion is wrong and getting all uppity.

2. Stop using the word "fascist". The only people who use it (outside of the context of real Fascism) are retarded teens.

3. Stop speaking in unnecessarily broad hyperbole, like "I would never do such and such".

4. Stop trying to apply logic to matters of faith.

5. Stop blaming the Church for things that are your interpretation of their doctrine. Original sin is Eve's fault, or Adam's fault, or no one's fault, or obsolete flim-flam, depending on who you listen to. The fact that women have the children and the move away from an agricultural society have as much to do with the inequalities between the genders as anything the Church has done.

I wish you luck on your journey towards unretardation.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

The Sober Irishman wrote:[ do I just go from being a "stupid teenager" to a "liberal handsome fellow?"
Liberal = I hope so.

Handsome = well, there's always plastic surgery.

Fellow = well, there's always gender re-alignment.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm younger than you, and I agree with csehack on this one, Sober.

Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

15-16 puzzle wrote:2. Stop using the word "fascist". The only people who use it (outside of the context of real Fascism) are retarded teens.
Uh-oh... does using "cryptofascist" make me a retarded teen (on my what, third swing at that age?).

I know of too many retarded post-teens out there, too.

People is people, it's just a pity so many of them aren't worth the label.

So Sober got an intellectual hard-on from a book that showed him a different way of looking at things. So he wanted to bang on the tables and swing from the rafters and shout at the top of his lungs "Hey! Check this out! This is coooooooooool!" Big frelling deal. Good on ya, man. Don't ever stop getting those hard-ons.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:[So Sober got an intellectual hard-on from a book that showed him a different way of looking at things. So he wanted to bang on the tables and swing from the rafters and shout at the top of his lungs "Hey! Check this out! This is coooooooooool!" Big frelling deal. Good on ya, man. Don't ever stop getting those hard-ons.
Absolutely agree with you Rabid, especially since it's about a book, but equally one shouldn't get shouty when someone replies to that hard-on in a way other than the one you were expecting. I would reccommend trying to rephrase your message in a more acceptable form, if you believe that strongly in it.

Literature / writing hopefully informs, inspires but also creates dialogue. There's a huge difference between discussing the points of a book and using someone else's work to tell people what the points of life are. In my opinion.

Damn, I love this easy-to-use italic function!

J$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

C Hack - could you give us a quick blurb on that one please. I've never heard of it and I'm too lazy to look it up on Amazon
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

j$ wrote:Absolutely agree with you Rabid, especially since it's about a book, but equally one shouldn't get shouty when someone replies to that hard-on in a way other than the one you were expecting. I would reccommend trying to rephrase your message in a more acceptable form, if you believe that strongly in it.
We are a contentious lot, indeed. I've been a shouter, and I've been on the condescending end too, and s'truth I like being on the noisy end better, meself.