I can't see through the windscreen (Covered In Bugs reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Crates
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard, alto saxophone, synth kits, vocals and beatbox
Recording Method: Ableton, Launchpad, Korg KP3, AT 2020, Yeti Blue, FL, Reason, Logic, Audacity, various instruments
Submitting as: MMMC / Guitarotica / SmaBoi

Post by Crates »

Leaf wrote:This conversation needs to move to a different thread...

Happy to take this elsewhere. Actually, I'm just as happy to drop it. I've said my piece, and I don't mind accepting the caustic responses in my inbox rather than reading them here.

As far as the nature of facts and opinions, the only thing I've said thus far that is conclusively factual is that there is a negligible correlation between homosexuality and genetics.

The rest is all my personal opinions, which I won't retract but am happy to stop sharing on this particular subject. I've not attempted to represent them as anything else.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Crates wrote:As far as the nature of facts and opinions, the only thing I've said thus far that is conclusively factual is that there is a negligible correlation between homosexuality and genetics.
did you hear anything about the correlation between genetics and bad haircuts?
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Furrypedro wrote:besides, you've not lived until you've been spit-roast by leather-clad gimps and felt their hot, salty love piss rebound off your chin. so i'm told.....
:o Hence; covered in bugs. After they finish and you are left on the ground, immobile, you just might then become covered in bugs, due to the stench eminating from your piss-clogged pores.

If, after this confrontation, you are no longer alive, you will likewise be covered in bugs!

If one operates a lesser version of phpbb, one may also end up covered in bugs.

Seems just a simple representation of how humanity's inherent "programming" is covered in bugs. How else could homosexuality and salty love piss (on the chin) exist? We are all Covered in Bugs. Let's just hope we're not talking about bedbugs...

toss, toss. All of it. Such toss.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I want to reiterate how good I think this fight is
I still can't decide who my favourite is though I think I'm swinging towards Popular Electronics, the aesthetic and mix is quality. I'd probably buy this if it wasn't free

I really like the Carpetburn song but I'm not sure if it will have much longevity in terms of me wanting to play it. Only time will tell on that one I guess, but I hope we get to play it live soon (we did 'She Gave Up' at a gig last Thursday - damn cool, but needs a bit more practice)

I think Ratt Poizon will fall by the wayside. It's harsh but hey, I only have one vote - on the plus side, I look forward to your new entries more than I do with most other bands. Even if you write a riff or section I don't like, I just have to keep listening to hear where it goes. I'm rarely disappointed by the invention

Paco's tune is a big time keeper, as well as being the one that grew on me most over the week - Welcome to Songfight, I think it will enjoy having you. I'm not gonna vote for you though, cos blue's attitude towards n00bs has rubbed off on me a bit and I'm using it as an excuse to be a bastard. But I like a good song with lots of stuff to get my teeth into, and new things to discover with every listen, and this hits those buttons which is excellent.

what else?

Your Money Wasted is a big contender. I'll try not to let the length put me off voting for it. It's definitely more instant than Popular Electronics, but that's not necessarily a good thing (I like slow burning tunes too). One bad thing about the shortness is that I would have liked you to return to the chord pattern in the intro and explore that a bit but alas, maybe I'll just have to steal them. Either way, I hope it's not too long before you submit again.

and Damien, the main reason I think I'd vote for you here is that I think this is your best song, if not necessarily the best of the fight. Also, I think I might be missing some of it cos it's really quiet; I know I can just turn up the volume but it'd be nice if you'd done it for me :D . You know Jordan Seavers right? or have I got that wrong. if you do, you should get him to master your stuff when your done with it to make it sound more presentable. I'd hate to think some people were put off this by the lo-fi-ness.

damn, I still don't know. PE or Damien Verret I think
Here is a good opportunity for non-musical vote-grabbing shenanigans to help me decide. anyone gonna make a pitch?

Boltoph wrote:Let's just hope we're not talking about bedbugs...
or Bugbears which may or may not be found roaming around the D&D world
Crates
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard, alto saxophone, synth kits, vocals and beatbox
Recording Method: Ableton, Launchpad, Korg KP3, AT 2020, Yeti Blue, FL, Reason, Logic, Audacity, various instruments
Submitting as: MMMC / Guitarotica / SmaBoi

Post by Crates »

fodroy wrote:did you hear anything about the correlation between genetics and bad haircuts?
Nope, can't say I know anything at all about bad haircuts. Never had one.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Crates wrote:
fodroy wrote:did you hear anything about the correlation between genetics and bad haircuts?
Nope, can't say I know anything at all about bad haircuts. Never had one.
uh-huh.

watered down versions of bad haircuts count.

either way, does any one know if it's possible for a haircut itself to be attracted to men? because that one in the picture is lubed and ready to slide into a manhole.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2522

get it off of the review thread.
Damien Verrett (Jonas)
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Damien Verrett (Jonas) »

and Damien, the main reason I think I'd vote for you here is that I think this is your best song, if not necessarily the best of the fight. Also, I think I might be missing some of it cos it's really quiet; I know I can just turn up the volume but it'd be nice if you'd done it for me Very Happy . You know Jordan Seavers right? or have I got that wrong. if you do, you should get him to master your stuff when your done with it to make it sound more presentable. I'd hate to think some people were put off this by the lo-fi-ness.

Yeah, he lives maybe 5 minutes from me. That's a good idea too.
DarkSide of Archaeology
A New Player

Post by DarkSide of Archaeology »

i want you to know that i love you all.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I would like to thank everyone for listening and all of those wonderful comments about my entry: I don't get that kind of feedback anywhere else and it is greatly appreciated. For those of you who don't care much for my, er, 'vocal stylings' just wait 'til you hear this weeks entry! Zoinks! And somehow, I feel that the style of song I submitted for the next fight will turn a lot of noses up and a lot of thumbs down. Thanks again, Paco
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

no review time today, but here are my favorite tracks.

favorites: cutie pies, carpetburn, popelect

cutie pies, i might suggest mixing the intro acoustic guitar up a bit because it's a lot quieter than the rest once the song kicks in.
anyway, even so that's my favorite song - it's awesome!
-bill

ps i'm especially pleased that i like this song because i've discovered who's in the band!
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Brief comments:

Paco Stinko, Cuties Pies, MMMC - all first class

Carpetburn, Level Nivelo, Polular Electronics - honourable mention
(though Carpetburn, really - Latin names in a song? - been there, done that :wink: http://www.songfight.org/music/biolumin ... ay_bio.mp3)

Phunts: Special Mention - a valid instrumental entry! That definitly said "Covered in Bugs" to me - without words - well done.

Vote for Paco
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Cheers to the Older Brothers for a deserved victory. Congrats to the other fight winners also. Thank you, Caravan Ray and mystery voter, for casting your votes in my first fight. At least everyone in this fight got a vote. Yippee! Now put up your dukes! - Love, Paco
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Puce wrote: Image
That pic is awesome, it drives me crazy to think there a working one of those somewhere.
martyr wrote: WreckdoM The vocals start badly -- perhaps too loud or close to the mic. B-
We have a new fancy pants mic and this our first song with it. It'll take some getting used to not holding the thing right next to my face.
Ratt Poizon wrote: why exactly did you think I sound like ween?
The start of your song sounded like their first album, "God Ween Satan: The Oneness" as they go overboard with the guitar tones and manic energy on every track of that one. Later on it was more like the "The Pod" their 2nd album. If you don't have these, you are seriously missing out.
Egg wrote: Did somebody just say "hush little, pup"?
It's the lyrics backwards, I heard "Squash noodle, fuck my wife" We kept saying that afterwards.

Thanks all for the reviews, this was an awesome fight! And, as suggested, Ratt Poizon, is a collab in our future.....?
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

damn it! RattPoizon got hosed again. :( however, the TWO people who voted for me make me feel warm and fuzzy inside :oops: thanks!

-Jooosh
"a guitar-induced brain hemorrhage" -The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

err, don't ask why but I just looked at the wav proxy for Phunt's track. that's seriously weird, in a kind of physics-defying way. not that you can hear it or anything (i don't think :? )
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Yeah, a lot of our shit does that, actually. Hard to say exactly why. I love it.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Better Late then Never.

Carpetburn: That first word sounds distractingly off-key; other than that the vocals are pretty good. Cool chords in this song; not really grabbing me, but some thought obviously went into them. Between the weird chords and the noodling and the frantic pace changes and spanish (?) chorus this feels like Mars Volta-Lite. Really picks up in the last minute. That cheesy kick drum really brings this song down. Neat track, but nothing in the lyrics or the melody hook me.

Cuddle Buddies: Gah, I hate this. You must have more than a half-octave range; show it off. Dull.

Cutie Pies: The opening chord progression has me instantly singing "Yoshimi! You won't let those robots eat me!". Wow, volume envy; how did you master this? It sounds pretty darn good, given the huge volume, although I suspect that the kick drum has suffered from the mastering. Man, The Postal Service only wishes they could write songs this catchy. I'd like to hear the female vocals a little clearer. A pleasant, twee little song.

Damien Verrett: I like it immediately. Has a great, dreamy, improvised-but-too-good-to-be-actually-improvised feel. I really like the vocals, and the tempo changes during the "shaking" portions of the song. The guitar sounds like it clips the mic in places; no, on inspection it's the song that's clipping. If I can trust winamp's oscilloscope, it looks like this song drastically needs a DC Bias removal, which is a quick (and lossless) way to gain headroom. At 1:30 two things happen: the song kicks into totall Elliot Smith-ville, and I click vote. This song is rad.

Nivelo: Woah, negative-fi. Nasty plosives. I wish the melody wasn't the same one used in a million novelty-folk songs. The lyrics are sort of cute, with the exception of the "insects is best" and "mosquitoes // libido" lines, which are awesome. I don't like it, but it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Michael McD, the MMMC: The music sounds fairly terrible, although I love the timpani. The mix is super, super muddy, and the vocals sound very noise-reduced. I think this song needs a snare drum. The progression is pretty damn catchy for rap; so is the chorus for that matter. I have a soft spot for nerdcore fast-rap, and the lyrics don't disappoint. I'd recommend using some [more?] compression on the rap segments to smooth them out a bit. Question: did you hack Deacon's myspace and put up all those ads for crappy layout sites? Sweet song.

Older Brothers: Gah, bass exploding my headphones. This is the bassiest song I've ever heard. Good thing the bass sounds pretty good. Did you just say "succulent synapse vestibule"? Never have I hated lyrics more. One of your vocalists seems much better than the other. Could you make the "Eww, ohh, gross" part last any longer? ^This song needs an extended remix where that part lasts for a full 2 minutes^. The guitars sound like they sound cool, but I can't tell because the bass is drowning them out. Bleh, boring. NOTE: This won? WTF HAX.

Stinky Alpaca: Maybe it's just in contrast with the last song, but this song sounds totally rad. That wah is amazing. Bass sounds great; in fact, everything sounds really good (well, the one guitar sounds a little too "plugged-in"). The singing style is a little weird, but you sound sure of yourself, which makes the vocals grow on me quickly. Some lyrical snippets seem a little suspect. At 2:00 this song takes a turn for the theatrical, and I fall in love with it completely. I can't believe this only got two votes; it deserves to win.

Pop-Elec: Me, J$ and Plat. An atypically atmospheric song, for me. I couldn't do vocals, so Plat stepped in at the last minute and salvaged my melody. I really like the bright bass tone and most of the fuck'd guitar tones. Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that no one complained about the bass being panned left. After much thought I agree with wreckdom that the mix is too bright (was going for a Deerhoof sound, but then I realized that their mixes are too bright, too).

Robot Wars: Neat sounding, especially at the end, but a 3 minute sound collage does not a vote get. See wreckdom for the way this should be done.

Ratt Poizon: Welcome to cheese town. I like what's being played, but the guitar has absolutely no attack to it, which is something this genre needs. Bridge is weird, but a nice change. Vocals are irritating.

Wreckdom: Now there's the attack that Ratt's song was missing. This is one of the wreckdom songs I've enjoyed the most. The drums are really cool, and I like the Gary Neuman-esqu lead synth. The lyrics are surprisingly lucid by your standards. After the 1 minute mark you don't really add anything new to the track. And then it's over!

Your Money Wasted: Woah, who are you? The playing, especially the drums, sound really pro; too bad the production isn't at the same level. This is really catchy, but man is it too short. Another one of those weird voices that sounds very confident, and instantly grows on me because of it. I'd buy your CD.

So, it came down to Damien, Paco, and Your Money Wasted. I ended up voting for Damien, because his little song somehow wormed it's way into my heart. Great fight.