the songs got left at the gate (outside paradise reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

the songs got left at the gate (outside paradise reviews)

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Hot anticipatory fuss!

I haven't heard the songs yet, but:

_________ - I don't like the reverb. What's up with that guitar tone? Nice change after the 2nd chorus. Is that a real marimba?

__________ ___ __________ - Dude, did you record this with an electric box of fiddle faddle? A little on the nose, but wow, what a bassline.

_______/___________ - Man, it sounds so good, but then, the lyrics are so dumb. Usually I like my musical humor a little more subtle. I can't really hear the snare, but I bet you knew that!

More later!
Pierre Menand
A New Player
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Reaper on Macintosh
Submitting as: Klownhole

Re: the songs got left at the gate (outside paradise reviews

Post by Pierre Menand »

Phil. Redmon. wrote:Hot anticipatory fuss!

I haven't heard the songs yet, but:

_________ - I don't like the reverb. What's up with that guitar tone? Nice change after the 2nd chorus. Is that a real marimba?

__________ ___ __________ - Dude, did you record this with an electric box of fiddle faddle? A little on the nose, but wow, what a bassline.

_______/___________ - Man, it sounds so good, but then, the lyrics are so dumb. Usually I like my musical humor a little more subtle. I can't really hear the snare, but I bet you knew that!

More later!
I'd vote for this post, but it really isn't my kind of thing. I appreciate the effort.
--

What is that grinding noise?
blakewalker
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by blakewalker »

aaron price made me lol
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

outside paradise reviews. typed with one hand, cradling the newborn in the other arm. He's finally sleeping.

Aaron Price - What a mess. That might be a compliment, actually; it sounds like this is intentionally sloppy. If so, a job well done.

Adnosium - The voice sounds like Pip from South Park after hitting puberty. There's an interesting song in here, but it's pretty difficult to listen to.

Andrew Ayers & Guest - Best yet. Some clever lines in here. Kind of played out by the three minute mark.

Beefy - Perpetratin' some self-deprecatin'. Well recorded. I'm not a big fan of songs about themselves. Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. Would like to hear more from Beefy though.

B Ellison - Nice atmosphere. The changeup at 2:15 is just a little late in arriving, but most welcome when it arrives. Good vocals.

Blake Walker - An instrumental? A fairly interesting one, if it is. But it is as much Plastic Rose as Outside Paradise. Without that direct lyrical (or obvious musical) link: nice work, no vote.

Chin Music - One of my favorite SF band names ever. The snare seems too far in the background. A couple very clever turns of phrase in here.

The Hell Yeahs - Eek, check the baby! Okay, he's sleeping through it. This is good until the chorus makes it great. Nice ending, too.

Jeff Robertson - The vocals get kind of lost in the middle of all this. Boy, that guitar solo is right up front though. The beat gets weird after the solo.

Klownhole - Man, this baby will sleep through anything, apparently. Not bad, I guess. Pretty self-referential, which I've mentioned before as one of my bugbears*.

Lack Of Sleep - I love the beginning of this, and it takes off at just the right time. But the distant drums and noodling guitar lose me a bit. I'll listen to this again though.

Landstander - I shied away from the Biblical interpretation of the title, personally. You handle it pretty well here. I'd like to hear this as a full band arrangement.

Paco Del Stinko - I expect good production from you, and this sounds like it's up to the mark. Ooh, cute little trumpet line. This is a frontrunner.

Note: The baby has gone to bed, and I now have both hands to finish my reviews.

Radioface In The 9th Circle Of Hell - Now THIS would probably have woken Sean if he were still here. There's not much here for me, and I'm trying to tell myself it's not just genre bias. Maybe that's a larger part of it than I want to admit though.

Raised By Wolves - Here we go. A very structurally satisfying song, this one. I wish the vocals had a little more bite, and I don't much like the dropoff ending, but otherwise this is top-notch. My favorite lyrics of the fight.

Ross Durand - It's peculiar that the water-torture bass drum sounds the most 'out front'. Could just be my sound system. That change at 1:45 is great, but it needs more punch. The solo is unexpected and appropriate. Good work.

Somewhere Off The Left Coast TFTF - Another well-crafted piece. Aside from the guitar at the end sounding slightly sharp, I wouldn't change a thing. This is college-radio-ready.

Tamlin Music - That I/vi/IV/V (do I have that right?) progression in the beginning sets an unncessarily predictable tone; when the vocals kick in, this is a much more unique and innovative piece than the intro gives it credit. You have a great voice.

Wages - You know, I liked this better than I thought I would. I'd love to see this live. It's got an undeniable enthusiasm, that's for sure.

Wormsweater
- This could have ended at the break at 1:52. What's that punching noise in there? It makes me smile every time it comes up.

Thanks all! I'll give 'em at least one more spin before voting.

*Term shamelessly borrowed from Johnny Cashpoint.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I have WWF Extreme Hang-Over this morning. TOO MANY SONGS! NOT EVERYBODY THINKS ONE FIGHT IS A GOOD IDEA! *ahem* ...

The Hell Yeahs - Oh song, how do I love you? Let me count the ways - the way Heather says apron, the way the s-s-s-supercool bassline is almost subsonic (on my headphones anyway), the way you make me want to get off my phat ass and groove. The way that cute lickle breakdown that never outstays its welcome keeps popping up and reminding me of its existence. The way the song ends on the word 'implied', which is just not the done thing. Your efficency and all round sexyness. That's 7, that's numberwang, you win again, which makes you the punk rock Abba of Songfight - hoorah!

Klownhole - less whining, more guitars that go skrang, please. I've done over a hundred songs on songfight, don't hear me whining about it - tsk tsk. Also shoot your keyboard player. The cheezy jazz stylings of that organ setting are quite annoying, and not in a good way. Disappointing. Other than that, RAWK!

Aaron Price - Have you deliberately put background noise into this? All the noise is in the right channel of my headphones, all the spastic singing is in the left. Maybe that's just my 'puter, but it's a curiously artistic idea if you did, especially as there is no art on display anywhere else in the two or so minutes of this song. Next!

Radioface - Song starts: Hahahahahahahaha! This is ridiculous. *wipes tear from eye* 'full band' starts up: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh God, I am terrified. Hehehehe. Appalling but entertaining And so scary. Hahahahahahaha!

Ross Durand: Oh mannnnn, this so needs a kalaedoscopic wavery fingery effect video to accompany it. The mood reminds me of a little of the Doors. The change at 1.44 is cool but the arrangement could be a little more abstract at that point. Ok, second change-up at 2.10 threw me. I like. This is a right little mini-epic, slightly sad to see it change back for the end. Great bass-tone btw. Not really my bag(gie) as there are elements of Starsailor in here lyrically that scare me off, but kudos for bringing something different to the table. I bet Jack Shite would love it!

B Ellison - cool. A little bit sloppy and stumbly but I like it. Pretty. Getting slightly bored at 1.00, around the mention of Eve, actually, but I think that's co-incidence. Yeah nice poppy beatles-ish vibe, but outstays its welcome by about half. The breakdown at 2.17 is a good idea, but needs to be further away from the rest of the song stylistically to keep the interest.

Paco del stink (?) - My personal styl eof reviewing is to pick at things and see if they fall apart - so I can forget to say certain things - so before I start, this is well played, well produced, and clearly a lot of energy / thought have gone into it, all very admirable things. So I don't like: the Neil Hannon-ism of the verse vocals, in fact the dragged out words are not working for me at all. In passing, it would have been so cool if you had just ended at 1.04. I like this well enough, I just don't really come away humming the refrain. In fact, to review the entire song on one instance, I like the trumpet, but not the call-out. That just about sums it up for me.

Jim Tyrell - This is a lovely little melody - the vocals seem a little behind the mix. given there's no lead instrument, just the rhythm guitar, maybe the vocals could stand to come up a bit higher. The main thing I can hear is the acoustic, which while pretty and well played is maybe not quite interesting enough to dominate proceedings like this. Obviously way too long - a bugbear of mine (Ha! Give it BACK!) but yeah, cool. Nice Nirvana as played by the Eagles vibe going on.

Adnosium (Hey what is it with the front page mis-spellings this week?) - I dunno, there's something here I really like, in the way i like HNI:Dan. I mean, clearly on no level is it good, but I like it. *shrug* You need a reason? I'm asure you don't but ok, well, you use the word 'confines'. Shoulda woulda coulda ended at 1.37. That would have the perfect capsule of adnoisium-world for the fools like me to swallow.

Tam Lin Music - Starts out like Stand By Me or one of those songs, but when the voice kicks in I am happy. I like your voice. it is a pretty voice. I do however wonder if you are, perchance, a foot fetishist with all this staring at women's shoes? Oh when the organ kicks in, I am so in some 80s video around a campfire (that inexplicably has an organ near it). Yeah I don't like this song, but I do like your song and your playing. i'd just like to hear you do something that makes better use of them. 2 minutes and I am done.

Somewhere Off The Left Coast TFTF - I never want to have to type that name again. Please change yr name to something short. Bob, maybe. Or The Fishsticks. Or Bob & The Fishsticks. This inane dribbling about band names reveals an unpleasant truth; namely that your song is perfectly well done and perfectly unengaging. Or in other words - I could so hear it on the radio, but I so wouldn't want to. Sorry.

Wormsweater - not bad. Guitar is mixed a bit loud. Harmonica is a big mistake. Then I notice there is nearly 5 minutes of this and my opinion alters. Ditch the shit percussion, cut this song down to 2 and a half minutes and then we'll talk. Until then this is a mess, and not a particularly charming one at that. Boo to you and too much time on your hands.

Andrew Ayers and Guest - ARGGGHHHH!!! Laughing on records drives me nuts - I hate that 'look at us we're having such a GOOD time in the studio' vibe. Anyway - I like 'Whiskey and Cheesits' very much. In fact the words and the slightly more-in-tune Dylan-isms of the vocal that compliment it, are the best things about this song. Although a tightening up of the song (syllables and phrasing) and a much, much, much, much, much better full-band arrangements and this could be stunning. As it stands it feels like the sort of out-take they put on a digital re-master of an old album to make the fans buy it all over again. Still, I look forward to hearing more of your stuff. Promising...

Chin Music - Oh another Dylan-esque. Is everybody really excited by the new album or something? Fact: He's just a dirty old misery-guts perv. OK I don't like this as much; it's practically a pastiche - why bother? Dylan is still alive, let him do dylan songs! (although i do love the piccolo-esque thing that kicks in at 1.25 ish. That is sweet as!)

Blake Walker - 35 seconds in, I am hoping this is an instrumental. This is great. Until the staggering keys at 1.09-ish, which at least sparse me the whole 'am I really going to vote for an instrumental?' debate. Yup mood evoked. Probably more eovcative of the title than any other song I have heard so far. I just really don't like those staggering keys.

Lack of Sleep - The drums are too quiet and apparently playing an entirely different song. The vocals are mixed too loud and their waywardness is slightly distracting during the verse. The lack of (noticeable) usual bass is strange. Are you playing a bass part on a six string? Sloopily played and produced. Yet it is all these elements of wrongness that add up to make something unique and interesting. i really enjoyed this, mainly for all the 'wrong' reasons I listed, and especially as at the opening I expected it to be a very different, professional but boring, emo song. i think if it was tightened up, or recorded professionally, it would lose a lot of its charm. hate your name though.

Jeff Robertson - Oh now this is all over the place! Nice guitar sound, in fact nice sounds all round - keyboard - good mo tucker drummin'. Good vox. But if this song was any looser you could park 50 Humvees in it.

The Landstander - the Landstander makes me of The Canyonero. Just sayin'. Great voice. Song not really my thing, but I could listen to this fragile voice all day long. I also like the chord progression a lot. Lyric a bit angsty but not distractingly so. I like the rough production, really adds something to the song. Overall i really like this, for what it is, i just don't do the genre much. Ack, sorry, too many songs, running out of useful things to say.

Beefy - hey my favourite friend-flooder is back. Yeah that's some good nerdcore rappin'. With the chorus you should have a cheesy heavy vintage synth tone tracking the melody, to really accentuate the sections and thereby stop the song seeming longer than it is. Also highly reccommend not saying 'basically I have said everything I have to say about this' at 1.17 in a 3 minute song - that's just inviting people to switch off :)

Wages - Aah man I am so sorry. I love your voice, I love your guitar tone, but I really can't listen to nearly 5 minutes of the two of them, with nothing else. Is there no-one who could play along with ya, over the internet or round the corner from yr house? Can you co-opt a family member to shake something in the background, even? you know what my favourite part is? The click right at the end. Not because it's the end of the song, but because in context it sounds great because it's something different . I just think it's a terrible waste of a great 70s lou reed feel vox / guitar. maybe I'm being a bit harsh and unhelpful.

RxW - The horses' hooves percussion is a bit annoying. Actually VERY annoying when it carries on under the singing. A real shame as I love the PSB, electro-accordian stylings SO much, but every time that percussion starts up it's all i can hear. Is your kid brother playing ping-pong in the back of the garage while you're recording, or something? Whatever it is meant to represent, it is an INSANE choice.

Clear Winner: The Hell Yeahs
Songs I Also Liked: Ross Durand, Jim Tyrell, Blake Walker
Songs I Didn't Like, But Were OK: B Ellison, Paco Del Stinko, Somewhere Off ..., Tam Lin Music, Chin Music
Songs I Should Have Liked, But Somehow Ended Up Hating: Klownhole, RxW, Wages
Songs I should Have Hated, But Somehow Ended Up Liking: Adnoisium, Andrew Ayers & Guest, Lack Of Sleep
Songs I Didn't Mind, But Could Have Been Better: Jeff Robertson
Songs That Weren't My Thing, But I Liked Anyway: The Landstander, Beefy
Songs That I Feel Wasted My Time: Radioface, Aaron Price, Wormsweater
Beefy
A New Player

Post by Beefy »

Yay, the songs have been up for a day and I'm already being accused of friend flooding. Super Dooper!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Beefy wrote:Yay, the songs have been up for a day and I'm already being accused of friend flooding. Super Dooper!
Hey, he also said he liked your song, bub. Priorities.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Pronouns: _

Post by Erwin Cloibhofer »

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

j$ wrote:Somewhere Off The Left Coast TFTF - I never want to have to type that name again. Please change yr name to something short. Bob, maybe. Or The Fishsticks. Or Bob & The Fishsticks. This inane dribbling about band names reveals an unpleasant truth; namely that your song is perfectly well done and perfectly unengaging. Or in other words - I could so hear it on the radio, but I so wouldn't want to. Sorry.
bob & the fishsticks is a really cool idea for a name. left coast has only posted one other song on sf and we have never submitted together before. so in the future we will have a completely new and improved name.....however i dont think my cuz will go for fishsticks, but i sure would.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

Andrew Ayers wrote: Klownhole: This is maniacally stupid. I love it. This song is exactly what I’d like to see performed live on a streetcorner on my way to work on a really crappy Monday morning. You will never be famous, but you will know in your heart that you have touched the dark center of Rock.
Finally, someone who gets it. You are my new best friend.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

j$ wrote:I have WWF Extreme Hang-Over this morning. TOO MANY SONGS! NOT EVERYBODY THINKS ONE FIGHT IS A GOOD IDEA! *ahem* ...

Klownhole - less whining, more guitars that go skrang, please. I've done over a hundred songs on songfight, don't hear me whining about it - tsk tsk. Also shoot your keyboard player. The cheezy jazz stylings of that organ setting are quite annoying, and not in a good way. Disappointing. Other than that, RAWK!
Obviously we didn't get the effects right on the voices if you thought it was whining. I'll add a pitchshifter next time. Pitchshifters can turn any kind of whine, even number of song entries, into a grand proclamation.

This was a disappointing entry though. Thus the apologies in the pre-fight thread. Usually we are naturally infused with the magic. The magic power of rock. But this time it was forced and hurried. And a little more sober than normal...
Adnoisium
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Adnoisium »

Andrew Ayers wrote: Adnosium: Great first line. Interesting: you sound like a character trapped inside a video-game, and refer to paradise as both your mind and earth. Your mind is earth is a video-game? Nice. Very Buddhist.
To clear that up the character is in denial, a state of mind that causes him to deny earth's flaws exist. So in effect it is both in his mind and the earth. As for the video game thing i prefer primitive synths, so i suppose it might sound 8-bit.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Quick non insightful reviews…

<u>I’ll probably end up voting for:_______________________</u>
<b>Andrew ayers</b> such a serious song, with Dylan like lyrics , and that burst of laughter kind of break the mood a bit. There’s a guy that used to submit stuff years ago under Chack, check his stuff out under the archives, I might have to start calling you Chack2.
<b>Tamlin music</b> great lyrics.. liking the lack of midi. Props.

<u>Other songs that deserve a vote:__________________________</u>
<b>somewhere of the left coast</b> a Built to Spill feel here. The verse sound better that the chorus. Good song though.
<b>Ross Durand</b> shit, it feels like Vietnam all over again. Good job Ross.
<b>RxW: </b>awesome song dude. Not sure what’s the point of the click though. Your vocals are good. You always make really good songs, yet can’t believe how timid you were in songfight live Boston. Dude, you ROCK \m/
<b>Paco Del Stinko:</b>
What an odd name, what a odd sound, there’s a bit of 70s in there somewhere. I like it.
<b>Beefy :</b>
This is good. Always on the beat, and groovy. A bit whiny ..”whaaaa whaaaaa I wanna make it big .. whaaaa whaaaa ”.. Don’t forget we now live in a world of Styrofoam cup music. Groovy though.

<u>Not bad at all… songs ________________________</u>
<b>Jim Tyrell</b> your vocals sound tire. Music is ok. The song could have been shorter. Heard better stuff from you.
<b>lack of sleep</b> reminds me of a band I used to listen to all the time (sound of reverse) they were able to pull of that crazy drumming you are trying here. This a very close to a good song.
<b>blake walker</b> Ok, instrumental, reminds me of RxW song a bit.
<b>wages</b> strong strong vocals. Might have been a better sounding song if it was a cleaner warmer guitar tone( think jazz), instead of the trashy this one.
<b>klownhole</b> sounds like a clown in a hole rocking out hard. Like it.
<b>wormsweater</b> the first part was great.. you know that part before you got all creative and artistic(autistic ?).. the overall song is not that bad though. Might want to learn when not to play the harmonica, and punch each other. But I doubt it.
<b>Bellison</b>
nice and mellow like floating down a lazy river. The percussion/drum are very well implemented here, vocals are smooth. A piano thrown into the mix, to play along with the guitar would have been nice, I think.
<b>Jeff Roberson</b>
Am becoming a big fan of you over the top distortion and crunchingness . you do this well. A lot of energy, right length.
<b>Landstander</b> Girl and guitar.. Nice. A lot of angs in this song, is like a girl doing an early Matthew good cover (his cynical folky years). Recording is good. Wanna hear what you submit next.
<b>hell yeahs</b> glad to hear you guys are recording again. This is weaker that your last week entry. Too repetitive. Needs more changes.

<u>Try again________________________</u>
<b>chin music</b> sounds like you can do better than this. There’s some thing not on beat here. Lyrics are OK.
<b>aaron price</b> are those 2 out of tune guitars ? 1 would have been enough.
<b>adnosioum</b> made me sleep. Try again. Voice reminds me of an aqua hunger force character, just can’t remember which one.
<b>radio….blablach</b> Ok this woke me up.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

andrewayers----playdough gets crusty. I really like those lyrics
Elfor
A New Player
Submitting as: The Landstander/Hello to Ruin

Post by Elfor »

Hey kids,
I'm happy/surprised about the fairly positive reviews on my song so far. But, I thought I should say: I'm not religious at all; I googled the title and I found this picture. So, I thought that's what my song should be about. Honestly, all I knew about Adam and Eve at that point was from that Simpsons episode and some Hold Steady lyrics (hence the vagueness). Of course, I asked around and made sure my lyrics weren't inaccurate, but, that's about the extent of my biblical knowledge. I'm not sure if that makes me lame for not actually coming up such an obvious idea on my own, but, I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't really a christian song.. well, I guess it is, but, it's like.. writing a song about Thor or something.

- The Landstander
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

dre wrote: <b>hell yeahs</b> glad to hear you guys are recording again. This is weaker that your last week entry. Too repetitive. Needs more changes.
Are you a) High b) Insane c) Lacking in judgement d) All of the above?

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, that is obviously different than mine.

Thanks for taking the time to review. :)
blakewalker
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by blakewalker »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:
dre wrote: <b>hell yeahs</b> glad to hear you guys are recording again. This is weaker that your last week entry. Too repetitive. Needs more changes.
Are you a) High b) Insane c) Lacking in judgement d) All of the above?

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, that is obviously different than mine.

Thanks for taking the time to review. :)
Nice save. For a second there I thought you were personally insulting someone because you didn't like their review. LOL!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Nope, I guess I was just trying to be funny, or something. I do appreciate the review!
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

j$ wrote: good mo tucker drummin'.
For anyone who didn't read the prefight, those drums were provided by Mr. Adnosium.