Pet Peeves

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Pet Peeves

Post by jb »

A few of mine:

* "What we're gonna do is we're gonna".

* Talking about directions, as you may know.

* And for that matter, I despise talking about the f-in' weather.

* Misspellings where it's obvious that the misspeller is just stupid. Like "your" instead of "you're". Or "its" instead of "it's". I mean, come on, we learned that crap in sixth grade.

* But then, I also hate people who constantly correct typos. I've been one of those people, but it usually has to go on for a while before I get totally fed up and just can't take it any more.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

So now I'm stupid?

Ok. some Peeves...I like this, I like this:

1) When someone asks "what can I do" and then proceeds to answer their own question,and pointedly does not listen to the answer you're trying to give to the question they asked in the first place.

2) People who clearly understand your intent, but get hung up on semantics.

3) and here's a biggie for me: (and this is general, not directed at anyone who may or may not have recently pmed me... ) when you make an apology because you recognize you are wrong, and the other individual involved just can't get past their anger to accept that you've come around. That one DRIVES me crazy. Apparently, you're apology is only valid AFTER the other person has had an opportunity to rag you out about it.

4) And as an addition to that, people who get infuriated when you admit a mistake and apologize BEFORE they have an opportunity to rant at you about it.

Yes, I'm married.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

excessive use of "lol". don't use it unless you actually laugh out loud. if you actually do laugh out loud that much, then you seriously have issues.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

1) The dick in the audience that yells out any Lynard Skynard song for us to play when we clearly aren't that type of band.

2) Cell phone use while driving! Get off the phone, the F---ing light is green already!

3) People who tell me I could get hurt riding my motorcycle. As if I really need to hear that as I'm throwing my leg over it.

4) People who say irregardless. It's simply regardless moron.

5) People who call me on my cell phone when I'm sitting at my desk or by the phone at home.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

People who call my cell phone because my home phone is busy! ARGH!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

jb wrote:People who call my cell phone because my home phone is busy! ARGH!
And who follow up by leaving the same message on work, home and cell voice mail systems.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

fodroy wrote: if you actually do laugh out loud that much, then you seriously have issues.
LOL!
haha, seriously.
actually generally i think "lol" is stupid, but i just had to say it here.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I use lol as a way to let the other person know I just laughed out loud. And ROFL if I'm laughing for more than a few seconds.

I thought at first I didn't have any pet peeves, but you guys reminded me of one: cell phones. I really can't stand any cell phone use whatsoever. I especially think it's really rude when you're hanging out with someone and they answer their phone (or worse, call someone else) and talk for more than a second. If I'm on a date and that happens, that's grounds for breaking up.

...fuckin world comin to...
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

First and foremost: chewing with one's mouth open.

People who buy things with checks.
(Also, old people who pay for 55-fucking-cent candy bars with $100 bills.)

Not being able to spell y'all.

"Umpteen."
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by erik »

jb wrote:A few of mine:

* "What we're gonna do is we're gonna".
hahahahah, which rivals "The thing is, is that..." for things that look stupid when you read them, and then you catch yourself saying it a day later, and then wondering "Gawd, how dumb do I sound to other people?".
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

c hack wrote: cell phones. I really can't stand any cell phone use whatsoever. I especially think it's really rude when you're hanging out with someone and they answer their phone (or worse, call someone else) and talk for more than a second. If I'm on a date and that happens, that's grounds for breaking up.

...fuckin world comin to...
Amen, bro.

They're a useful thing to carry in your car (turned off), in case you break down or are abducted by aliens or something - but when did everyone suddenly become so important they have to be on-call 24-hours a day?

I have to carry a mobile phone for work - but it's just part of my kit, the same as my boots or my hard-hat - a necessary tool because I often work outdoors. Using them in social situations though is extremely rude.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i'm hardly ever home, and i've learned that if people call me at home i am not likely to get the message for a couple of days sometimes. i've had a cell phone for years and it is really the only way for people to contact me (well besides email or whatever). but i think using the phone in a public situation is extremely rude. i turn my phone off when i'm at work, and turn the ringer off (at least) if i go into a store or restaurant. i HATE seeing all these people sitting there talking on the phone. i especially hate eating with somebody when they receive a call.

basically: like i said, my cell phone is my primary form of communication, but i don't need to be able to communicate at ALL times. that's why god invented voicemail.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

3) People who tell me I could get hurt riding my motorcycle. As if I really need to hear that as I'm throwing my leg over it.
And similarily, people that stare at me and exclaim with wide eyes, "You're a female!" when I say that once I've got the money I'm getting a motorcycle. It's as if I didn't kinda notice the femaleness before, and they think it's some spectacular thing that I can and will ride one.

Also tactless people. If you don't have anything decent to say, shut the heck up.
Songfighter since back in the day.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Pet peeve lists.

People who put 'pet peeve lists' on pet peeve lists.

I do agree about mobiles in general though. People who say to me 'but your mobile is never on'. It comes down to a simple question - 'are you so important that you need to be contacted all the time' or 'are you so important that you can't be contacted all the time'

Oh, yeah - texting. If it's not important enough to ring someone with a message, why waste their time with a text version? People hunched over mobiles in pubs texting 'i am in the pub' to people who aren't.

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i'm so generally irritated by cell phone use that i haven't let my fiancee get me one yet. i think i'm breaking down though. help!
pet peeves:
- people that don't wash hands after using the bathroom
- people that don't flush
- tailgaters
- tailgaters on cellphones
- that stupid windows "start" button on the keyboard that i never push on purpose, but only when i'm playing a game and it interrupts it and i get killed.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Bjam wrote:And similarily, people that stare at me and exclaim with wide eyes, "You're a female!" when I say that once I've got the money I'm getting a motorcycle. It's as if I didn't kinda notice the femaleness before, and they think it's some spectacular thing that I can and will ride one.
How about people who exclaim "You're a female!" when you let out the fact that you're a female on a message board that's so male-dominated that we just assume anyone without a name like "Henrietta" is a guy?

Well, I just hope you're getting a cool bike (which in my mind doesn't include Harleys and pocket rockets, but that's just me, and I'm by no means hardcore).
Bjam wrote:Also tactless people. If you don't have anything decent to say, shut the heck up.
oops.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

HeuristicsInc wrote: - people that don't wash hands after using the bathroom
i was just about to add that to the list. living in a dorm environment i see it way too much. i'm to the point where i won't even touch the bathroom handle with hands.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

This girl I knew in college told me that the way that she was taught to minimize germ contact in the bathroom was to, upon finishing using the toilet, wash hands, dry using a paper towel, save paper towel, wrap paper towel around door handle so you don't have to touch the door handle that every single person who didn't wash their hands has just touched, and then, once the door is open, throw the paper towel in the garbage can by the door.

"What if there's no garbage can by the door," I said.

"Then I just throw it in the corner."

Which I used to think was rude, until I thought about how gross it was to touch that door handle.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

c hack wrote:How about people who exclaim "You're a female!" when you let out the fact that you're a female on a message board that's so male-dominated that we just assume anyone without a name like "Henrietta" is a guy?
Heh, that doesn't annoy me, it merely amuses me. ;)
c hack wrote:Well, I just hope you're getting a cool bike (which in my mind doesn't include Harleys and pocket rockets, but that's just me, and I'm by no means hardcore).
Of course! The parentals won't let me get some little thing anyway, as they're worried some guy in an SUV will run me off the road if I'm on anything below 800cc-ish. Yay for getting a motorcycle that goes 'vroom' real loud.
Songfighter since back in the day.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I think you guys are being silly. I wash my hands after going to the bathroom, but I touch door handles all the time, and I never get sick. I doubt I'd get sick even if I stopped washing my hands after going to the bathroom. If you don't get sick from something, I don't believe there's any need to think of it as gross.

OTOH, bus fumes are a fucking killer. A half hour of riding the bus (combined with an hour on the subway) twice in one evening wears me out every time, and has given me a migrane once (it also might have something to do with reading the whole way, though). I think I'd rather lick a door handle than take that route.
Bjam wrote:The parentals won't let me get some little thing anyway, as they're worried some guy in an SUV will run me off the road
Never underestimate assholes in SUVs. I ride the subway, and I'm still worried some guy in an SUV will run me off the road. ;)
Last edited by c hack on Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

it does seem kind of silly but germs freak me the hell out.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

fodroy wrote:it does seem kind of silly but germs freak me the hell out.
Dude, get a microscope. They're everywhere! They're on you right now!

Seriously, most are good or harmless. Even the bad ones are fine as long as there aren't too many of them (I believe everyone's got some e.coli in them normally). There are much better things to worry about, like spiders taking over the world.