Pan's Labyrinth

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by furrypedro »

I had a group of my friends gush to me on a number of occasions about this, and I thought it would be right up my street. Then I made the mistake of agreeing to watch a downloaded copy with said friends (all of whom had seen it before and proceeded to talk over the whole thing). It seemed like the kind of thing that would be right up my street and I think I ruined my first exposure to it. So you know my opinion is less than well informed.

I thought this would have worked well as a pure Spanish civil war film; it doesn't give much insight into the bigger picture, but we know how it turned out so this does well to focus on the personal level. It is very gritty in places but thankfully refrains from any full-on gore which I was definitely not in the mood for when watching the film. The characters were good too, they create tension and make you unsure (in places) who to root for which I appreciate as I don't like being told "here are the good guys", and that is absolutley not to say it has any fascist sympathies.

On the fantasy side, I was left severely wanting, and I attribute this mainly to the circumstances in which I watched the film so don't take what I say as a well informed opinion (crucially, I've been told, I missed the toad bit). This part revolves around the protagonist and her 3 tasks, at the end of which....what? I was left with a feeling that there was a lack of resolution, not much point, and nothing really acheived. I don't require a perfect conclusion to events by any means, in the form of a happy ending or return to a status quo, but I wanted more than that. At least a warm fuzzy feeling a la Spirited Away, but no. This is almost definitely a result of my less than complete viewing experience, so I plan to go back for more, and on another level the fusion of fantasy and real life civil war was a pioneering step that I found both refreshing in the friction it gave between the parallel storylines.

no grade yet, but if you're gonna watch this do it at the cinema, for the love of god.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Post by fodroy »

Furrypedro wrote: no grade yet, but if you're gonna watch this do it at the cinema, for the love of god.
I think that goes for just about any movie. Computers are shit for watching just about anything.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Not all movies need a theatre. I didn't watch this on a computer.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

I dunno Dan, I just saw "Citizen Kane" on a laptop.

PS in case y'all didn't know, that's a pretty good movie.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

limited release and I don't get to see "the best movie of the year".. what, like seattle is a backwater?
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

This movie wasn't what I was expecting.

I expected an english-language fantasy movie aimed at young-adults. Instead I got a nerve-wracking and occasionally sadistic subtitled war movie, with some fantastical elements. That said, it was quite enjoyable. It's a grim[m] story with lots of beautiful imagery and some heart-wrenching drama. I agree with Dan's sentiments that most movies deserve a theater, and that goes double for this one.

A-. It's very pretty, but the pacing feels lumpy (yeah, that's right, lumpy) and I'm still digesting the ending.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

The commercials make me want to see this one. But alas, Muncie isn't screening this one. :?
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Art Direction is incredibly beautiful. Characters are very thin. Bad guy is ridiculously unambiguous.

I wanted the fairy tale logic to be more consistent, or to have some allegorical link to what was happening in "the real world."

I don't really understand the critics' hysterics over this one. Caro / Jeunet do this genre much better, IMO.

I give it a B or B+.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I read all about this one, and nobody mentioned that it was entirely in spanish. Not that I minded - as you watch on, it's almost like you don't even need to read. I love that feeling. The guy with the eyes in his hands freaked me out, especially the paintings above his table of him eating babies. I loved it though, through and through, but I'm no film critic. A!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

ok so I did get to see this after all.

gorgeous and terrible and grotesque, like an honest to god old-school medieval fairy tail. Dificult to digest and leaves you with a not quite bright sense of the world. But boldy drawn.

Did anyone else find those drawings in the room with the eyeless creature cartoonishly humorous or am I just demented?
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Yes, the pictures were very funny! They were a nice breath of black humor in a not-so-funny movie. Come to think of it, that's another reason I prefer Caro-Jeunet. I like my fairy tales with a little more dark humor... Like Roald Dahl!
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

This is my favorite movie of last year. I'm somewhat obsessed with it. I love its horrible violence and unambiguous bad guy. Fairy tale bad guys shouldn't be ambiguous. This is dark dark dark. It probably goes on my all time fave list. If you haven't seen it, you really must. <b>A+</b>
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

BTW, I also love Caro-Jeunet. City of Lost Children is pretty high on my list of favorites.
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

I enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. I didn't know a damn thing about it going in aside from the fact that there was a dude with horns in it. So the Spanish, the mostly real-world plot, the time period, the completely glorious violence -- these were all surprises to me. I don't think it was the best movie ever made by any stretch, but it was certainly enjoyable, and a pleasure to look at. I too, don't think the bad guy should've been more ambiguous. I liked that he was a complete bastard.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

I thought the Pan part of the story matched really well with the "real" part of the story. But I didn't have subtitles, and my Spanish could be better.

THEMATIC SPOILER!!
And I noticed Pan's rhetoric was becoming more and more similar to the fascists as the movie went on. So I was really hoping that there would be some kind of realization that you can't trust a faun who asks you to march blindly through a maze because it is your birthright. Hell yeah! The fantasy escape IS LIKE a fascist nightmare.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

I cannot stress enough how much I loved this movie. Best movie I've seen in a long time. A+
mr_lostman
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mr_lostman »

I really dug this movie too. Way violent though. That surpirsed me. But it truly was glorious. The mandrake baby freaked the hell out of me. I'm still having some trouble seeing how the fantasy and the real world mirrored each other.

*spoiler*
But the baby-eater guy had a funky walk like the captain did at the end. I think its a connection (you get me?).

anyways great movie. Expect the unexpected. It just happens.
"I can't hear a thing,
'cause I've stopped listening!"
-BNL
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

Yeah, it was really violent at parts, but what I loved about some of the violence is that it actually was emotionally satisfying.

SPOILER
I'm thinking of the two acts of against the Captain. The first being Mercedes destroying the Captain's face. The second being when Mercedes tells the captain "He won't even know your name," before the soldier shoots him through the cheek.

That was just the best and most well-earned violence I've ever seen. I can't wait til this is played in the dollar theatre so I can go see it again.

And yeah, the mandrake baby was pretty creepy.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Gorgeous. Though the reach-around at the very end felt like it was tacked on after receiving the preview audience test cards. I'm happy that the Jeunet brothers (sp?) now have imitators of their own.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

mr_lostman wrote:But the baby-eater guy had a funky walk like the captain did at the end. I think its a connection
That's really interesting. I like the idea.
fodroy wrote:Yeah, it was really violent at parts, but what I loved about some of the violence is that it actually was emotionally satisfying.
I totally agree. It's the first time I've been glad to see a man have his face slashed open on the big screen.