Odds That....

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Odds That....

Post by jb »

.... the phone will ring when I'm on the other side of the house from any handset = 50%

.... the phone will ring when I'm in the bathroom for either a shower or to do my business = 60%

.... when I'm walking somewhere and someone else is standing still and talking or looking at something, that they will begin walking again at the exact moment when I will be required to dodge their unwary selves = 75%

.... I won't get what I ordered at any given restaurant = %90 (this is a particular phenomenon related to me that any number of people can swear to)

.... If I don't get what I ordered at a restaurant, that some small item won't be charged on our bill, such as my ice tea = %80

.... My car will require $1000 in repairs the week after I send in the last loan payment = 100%
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

If I'm at a restaurant, and we're waiting for the food, and I get up to go to the bathroom, the food will be there when I get back - 75%

It's my special super power.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

HeuristicsInc wrote:If I'm at a restaurant, and we're waiting for the food, and I get up to go to the bathroom, the food will be there when I get back - 75%

It's my special super power.
-bill

I too share this power!!

ODDS THAT:

I will break a string/stick/drum head/bass drum pedal ONLY if I do not have a replacement: 85%

If I have a replacement string: 1 %

If I have a spare stick: .5 %

I will screw up the lyrics if a woman dances in front of me, and makes unneccessary eye contact : 100.00000001 %

My job title will change WITHOUT a change in pay, or a reduction in other responisbilities: 100%

I have no clue how to determine odds: 73.5 %

I will score a goal in hockey (it's ball hockey, so take this with a grain of salt): 99%

That my injuries will be directly proportional to my goal tally: 88 %

...(last week I dislocated a rib, got hit in the eye by the ball, a stick to the chest, and the chin. In one game. I scored two goals and had a few assists. was it worth it? Yes but don't tell Dana!!!!!)

Finally: That JB will start a trendy thread that will inspire tons of similar responses: ;pretty damn good.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Odds that:

I will miss the key moment in anything I'm watching on TV because I got up to grab something to eat or drink - 66%

I will hear that moment from the other room and come running back in after it's over - 85%

Someone will call forcing me out of the room BEFORE the replay - 90%

The team or individual I am rooting for in a contest that really, really matters will lose - 100%

An attractive woman will dance in front of me prevocatively at a gig - 25%

That it will happen if my wife is at the gig - 95%

I will make it to work without one of the following and not realize it until I get there: Wallet, belt, pager, cell phone and I kid you not, matching socks - 15%

My next entry for Song Fight will on time - 10%

That it will garner any votes - 5%

Someone will gripe about my reviews - 100%
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

You bitches need to learn how to do Vegas odds, proper.

98% = 49:1
90% = 9:1
80% = 4:1
75% = 3:1
60% = 3:2
66% = 2:1
10% = 1:9
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Arent these all backwards? Cuz I usually go to the races and bet on horses that either have funny names, or horses that have great pay offs, like 100:1.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

15-16 puzzle wrote:Arent these all backwards? Cuz I usually go to the races and bet on horses that either have funny names, or horses that have great pay offs, like 100:1.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Usually people say "4:1 against" or "1:9 favorite" to eliminate misunderstanding.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Odds that the next poster will use "vegas style" odds: 50%

Odds that the next poster would have used "vegas style" odds, if I had said the odds were very low: 95%

Odds that the next poster would have used "vegas style" odds, if I hadn't posted any odds on the subject: 68%

Odds that any of my odds are even close to correct: 7%

Odds that, if you think about that enough, your head will explode: 100%
Let cake eat them.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Re: Odds That....

Post by Sober »

jb wrote:.... when I'm walking somewhere and someone else is standing still and talking or looking at something, that they will begin walking again at the exact moment when I will be required to dodge their unwary selves = 75%
That rate increases if the person is carrying anything important, or if you are a waiter and they are a customer.
🤠
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

... the chances of my being inspired by a Songfight title is inversely proportional to the amount of time I have to put together a song that week.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

Jim of Seattle wrote:... the chances of my being inspired by a Songfight title is inversely proportional to the amount of time I have to put together a song that week.
Get rid of the ellipsis and rephrase that. "Odds that the chances..." doesn't make any sense.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Chance someone on the boards will mispell "definitely": 80%
Chance the misspelling will be "defiantly": 98%
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

chances that the word "misspelled", if it is misspelled, was done so purposely for ironic reasons: 48%
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Dude, that's a typo, I swear!! I know how to spell! I am not a hippocrat!!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

"Hippocrat." That's the best typo ever.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Generic wrote:"Hippocrat." That's the best typo ever.
Also the best way to describe a bi-partisan politician. It covers all the bases!
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Is hippocracy the rule of the government by hippopotami and/or doctors, and a hippocrat one who is a member of a political party which supports such a thing?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Odds are, a discussion will go off topic before it reaches page 2: 100%

Odds are it will get back on track by page 3: 100%

Odds are that at some point near the death of the thread it will have gotten off topic again: 100%
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

It's funny you mention that Hoblit, I have noticed this phenomenom myself.... I wonder, has anyone else noticed this?
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Odd's are that Leaf gets 85% less work done on any given day than prior to joining the SF community.

I just need to know how he does it...I get buried after cruising the boards for half an hour...

:P
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

...I have a job where talking is the most critical thing I do... like a bureaucrat in training or something... and I'll power out my documents pretty quick...see right now, I'm watching the boards, I'm studying out nor-tel phone manual, and I treated or "intervened" with three injuries today.... (shoulder, wrist, back)... so I also have alot of "waiting for godot" time....

...I also find that adding a title to my stupidly long list seems to free up more time instead of the reverse...
And I live for the philosophy that one should try to get paid more to do less at all times... seems to work. See I wasn't around much yesterday cause I went to a hearing, a hearing where I was gonna kick ass and win, except the "plantiff" (actually appeallant) DIDN'T SHOW. So, I won by default, and spent the hour chatting to a 71 year old professional (The "WCAT Panel") who tried to convince me I should be listening to opera. Interesting guy. Nice day trip to Courtenay too...

I guess the real "secret" is that I like to talk... and you knew that already!!!!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Hoblit wrote:at some point near the death of the thread
nuh uh, threads don't die! they just go off to the nice farm where they can be with all the other old sick threads and the nice farmer can make them well again! MY MOMMY SAID IT DIDN'T DIE ARE YOU CALLING HER A LIAR!!!? :cry: