200 Greatest Songs of All Time

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

c hack wrote:
Leaf wrote:Hack, I borrowed a copy of "Building nothing out of something"....apt title.
Their older ones can get boring, yes. "The Moon and Antartica" is pretty good, but I think "Good News..." is by far the best.

Being an inquisitive glutton for punishment, I'll probably try that one out one day....

But you gotta check out the Northern Pikes...preferably "Big Blue Sky'...the ulitimate in Canadian cheesy country/rock....

who knows? you'll either really dig it, or have something YOU don't get!!
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Freudian Slip »

Realizing I am likely to be skewered for saying so. I agree with Tonetripper. Led Zeppelin (Dread Zeppelin- in some cases I actually prefer the redo's) and Pink Floyd are among my all time favorites. (Aforementioned favorites subject to change according to mood and without prior notice.) :::ducks:::

BTW, dude-- What the hell ya got IN that pipe? :::coughs:::
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

ok dear everybody: [p.s. -- edit -- freudian slip this is not specifically addressed to you (or anybody else in particular), i didn't see your post until after i had written this.]

can we please drop the pink floyd discussion? they are my favourite band ever, and i dig everything of theirs, even the stuff they've done that is pretty shitty (including the majority of the wall). however, i can understand that they would not be as appealing to everybody as they are to me, and I AM OK WITH THAT. there is a lot of really popular stuff that i *don't* like, which people seem to think i am weird for not liking. anyway...

saying you don't like, or don't understand, pink floyd is like saying you don't like star wars. there are zillions of rabid fans who will all but bite your head off for such blasphemous statements, and try to give you a hundred million reasons why it is the awesomest thing ever, but in the end, it comes down to this. you have an opinion about something, and some people might share that opinion and some people might not. nobody is right, nobody is wrong, everybody has an opinion. the end.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

It's great that you're ok with it... but maybe someone feels so strongly about it that they want to have a say... oh... that includes you!!!

Pink Floyd = greawt chillout/depressed/tripping out music.
Also fun to jam to on guitar.
Not so fun on the drum.

Zeppelin has the GREATEST rock drummer of all time. Period. No one did it better... that man innovated a funky/rock hybrid. He was a fucking genius. Bonham..you ruled.

ALWAYS DIGGING BONHAM.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Leaf wrote:ALWAYS DIGGING BONHAM.
Don't forget John Paul Jones. Perhaps my favourite bass player of all time. I remember hanging in a friend's room listening to II and "Ramble On" came on. I was floored by the easy flowing, sexy bass line that he does in it and then when the kick out comes in, he is, so, in the pocket with John Bonham. Still gives me shivers. One of my greatest inspirational moments in listening and one of the reasons I play bass.

I can understand the drumming of Floyd being a bore, but I always considered them to be more of a song band. More like art rock, whereas Zep they just brought the rock but got artsy now and again. No one kicks it as hard as Bonham though. Any drummer who was never influenced by Bonham needs to listen to Bonzo's Montreux. Perhaps the best drum solo ever done. "Presence".

And opinions are what these boards are all about. I appreciate J$'s opinion. Still like to curb ideas of others on these boards to possibly shed light on the sheer brilliance that was Pink Floyd. Like if you've only ever heard The Wall or just Darkside then maybe you should check out old Floyd with Syd, as it was very modern sounding for the time. Pink Floyd practically created or were godfathers of the Rave movement in the 90s as the Grateful Dead and Ken Keysey? and the Merry Pranksters did here in North America. It's the history and the evolution which they should be appreciated for. Can't deny that. And I'm pretty darn sure Sid Vicious got his idea for his hair-style from Syd Barrett. Assumedly at the end of Syd's time with Floyd when he went pretty hard at various drugs he did a concert where he spiked his hair up with brylcream and benzadrine and let the lighting slowly melt the chemical into his eyes. Causing him to play an E chord over and over until the band walked out. The next day he was gone. I'm pretty sure it says it in Pink Floyd A Visual Documentary by Miles Davis. I could be wrong. Haven't viewed it for a while. Check it out.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Miles Davis did a documentary about Pink Floyd??? That's the weirdest thing I've heard all day!!!

AS far as JPJ goes, you can always tell how great a bass player is by how great the lead player sounds. With out a great bass player, it just becomes noodling...in my opinion anyway. Like Micheal Anthony in Van Halen... he helps Eddie sound great...take away the bass and those solos lose context....anyway, just my opinion.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Leaf wrote:Zeppelin has the GREATEST rock drummer of all time. Period. No one did it better... that man innovated a funky/rock hybrid. He was a fucking genius. Bonham..you ruled.
Bonham is 2nd for me. My favorite is Ringo Starr. I always liked Keith Moon too. Also, I was listening to "...and Justice for All" the other day, and Lars really is amazing -- too bad he's a prick.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

c hack wrote:
Leaf wrote:Zeppelin has the GREATEST rock drummer of all time. Period. No one did it better... that man innovated a funky/rock hybrid. He was a fucking genius. Bonham..you ruled.
Bonham is 2nd for me. My favorite is Ringo Starr. I always liked Keith Moon too. Also, I was listening to "...and Justice for All" the other day, and Lars really is amazing -- too bad he's a prick.

yeah... I used to idolize Lars as a teen , but you're right he can be a total weiner.

Ringo before Bonham??? Are you crazy??? Ringo is so down on "my list"...

hmmm..... gonna take this somewhere....
tonetripper
Mean Street
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx

Post by tonetripper »

c hack wrote: My favorite is Ringo Starr.
Interesting that you say that. Ringo Starr has been regarded by some as not a great drummer cuz he over-dubbed a lot of parts on the kit. But as any good drummer knows, to do this you have to have good timing and chops. Not my favourite but I understand why you would say that. He added to the music much the way that Adam Clayton adds to U2 in my mind.

Keith Moon was just nuts. Anyone who's seen The Kids Are Alright would know this. He's my third favourite, while Ringo is actually my second. Bonham was just untouchable. He was actually pared down in many ways by Jimmy Page when the beds were laid down cuz he would add too many jazzy elements. And the tone for a four piece. C'mon. Sick.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Ugh, Lars is the worst successful drummer ever.

Ringo wasn't so hot himself, but he did what he was expected to do.

Bonham and Moon, good.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

tonetripper wrote: And Caravan, demolition experts they may be, considering that in their past the band was comprised of architect students. Just a little trivia for all you ignorant PF naysayers. :?
Architect students! I didn't know that - but it explains a lot. As a civil engineer, I have about as much respect for architects as I have for...well... Pink Floyd. Superfluous, impractical people the lot of 'em.
(...interesting to see who I piss off this time... :wink: )
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

tonetripper wrote: And opinions are what these boards are all about.
Totally agree. Just because I don't like Pink Floyd, and am willing to say so, doesn't mean TT is wrong. TVIYH, if we just go with the 'everyone has an opinion and that's fine' line, which is of course the ultimate truth, then the reason for this board, and ones like it, cease to be valid.

I'm interested to see what it is that makes PF fans tick. I've heard pretty much all of their stuff, to varying degrees of enjoyment, and sometimes I can enjoy, more often not. But I am always open to persuasion / correction.

Also, I think the sign of a true fan is being able to conisder criticisms of your favourite bands. If people want to lay into Buzzcocks, for instance, I can take a little bit of adverse criticism. Might agree with a little of it even. Nothing's perfect.

But, as a special favour to you, old chap, I'll stop whomping out about the 'Floyd. Promise!

J$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

oh i don't mind people dissing them. i mean go ahead and say they have put out some total crap, because that's true. and say you don't like them because _______ and ok, that's fine too, though i may not agree.

what i don't like is, people are all like "i don't like pink floyd" and then people are like "well you're stupid or wrong or misinformed or you just don't get it or obviously you haven't listened to them enough or whatever." and i'm just saying, can't we just respect that people have different likes and dislikes than other people have, and not have to insist that there is no reason why anybody would not like certain things?
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

tviyh wrote:can't we just respect that people have different likes and dislikes than other people have, and not have to insist that there is no reason why anybody would not like certain things?
No. You're wrong for thinking that.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Ya know... TVIH, if you read your points from an objective viewpoint, one might argue that you yourself are guilty of the thing you complain off just by nature of you posting a complaint about people expressing there opinions.

Spelt 'their" though.

However, I grow weary of his conversation myself... I was currently digging tunes today... Mr. Frank Zappa..... I admit, some Zep right this minute... nah...(shuffle) ok, currently digging Northern Pikes. Such a silly fun band... I love em.

EDT: I wrote "converstation"... that made me laugh.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Leaf wrote:Ringo before Bonham??? Are you crazy??? Ringo is so down on "my list"...
I say Ringo first because he played the drums like they were an actual instrument :P Seriously, sometimes there was more melody in his drumming than in the bass line. I think if you replaced the drummers with stock drum lines, Beatles songs would suffer more than Zeppelin songs. But only just barely. Songs like "Rock 'n' Roll" are nothing without Bonham.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

Leaf wrote:Miles Davis did a documentary about Pink Floyd??? That's the weirdest thing I've heard all day!!!
I'm sure there are countless Davis' all over the world Leafy boy. And I'm pretty sure there might be a couple of them named Miles. :roll:
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Leaf wrote:EDT: I wrote "converstation"... that made me laugh.
ALL ABOARD THE SHOE TRAIN.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Then I wrote "EDT" for edit.

I think my spelling is getting worse.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

just a quick note on john bonham: yes he was a pretty awesome rock drummer, and very influential. some of the sounds he got on LZ IV were incredible, as are the stories behind some of the parts (like the one about "four sticks" which i'm sure everyone has heard so i won't repeat it here ... and them getting the huge drum sound in "when the levee breaks" -- i think that's the song it was -- by putting the drum set at the bottom of a huge grand staircase in the california mansion where they were recording, and placing mics at the top of the stairs)

however... the drum solo in "moby dick", which is cited all the time as one of the best rock drum moments of all time, is WAY WAY WAY overrated in my opinion. i mean essentially it is even less exciting than the solo in "in-a-gadda-da-vida". like, what the hell?
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Based on that comment, I seriously doubt you've actually listened to Iron Butterfly... the snoozefest band of the century. They were so one-hit, they don't even make it on the one-hit wonder lists. That solo licks balls man!! Moby Dick is pretty good, not really mind blowing, but In a gadda da vida?????? Snoozzeeeee........
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Leaf wrote: I think my spelling is getting worse.
impossibel.