St. Patrick's Songfight - Los Angeles - March 19th

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
mico saudad
Mean Street

St. Patrick's Songfight - Los Angeles - March 19th

Post by mico saudad »

Who wants to songfight on the day after the day after St. Patrick's Day?!

I'm going to start planning the show for this day but first I want a count of how many people are interested/available...

I'm inclined to hold this at SoundArena Showcase room mainly because it is cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, they have a great PA, and they were really cool with everything (including the selling of tickets and beer) last time. Plus no one has to haul drums or amps unless they really want to because they are provided.

It would be nice to generate more of a crowd so I think I'm going to plan this early and make a dedicated web page for the event. If songfight.org could host the page after I make it, it would be nice to send people to

http://www.songfight.org/events/losangeles.html or something like that
The nice thing is I can make a sort of template that we can use to inform people of our other events.

I think this is better than directing them to the home page because we're addressing a different audience - the main page is set up perfectly for the main business of songfighting, but it's not set up to be an information kiosk/promotional page.

Any other suggestions as to how to increase the likelihood of more people showing up let me know.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I can almost guarantee my presence and that of the rest of KNI and Loyalty Day. We will have to check in closer to march, but let me know if you need any help organizing.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

That would make for a busy March for me, since I have to go to a conference in Vegas for work the 3rd-6th, and I have a wedding to go to in Seattle on the 26th. I might be able to do it, but I'm not sure. It'll kind of depend on how much vacation time I'm going to need to take for the Seattle trip, and how much I'd need to take to go to LA, and how busy I am at work, etc. But don't let me hold things up if that date works for everybody else, of course.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

March, eh?
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

was that a nibble from octothorpe?
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

It WAS a nibble. We are checking out schedules. We would probably need a little support, so we are watching to see who else is in...
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

March, eh?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I will chime in ~ out of context ;)
As JetBlue gets me pretty close for few bucks...this might work
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

roymond wrote:I will chime in ~ out of context ;)
Oh so that's what Blue's doing ... i wondered why he didn't time to post/fight any more :)
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

Los Angeles, eh....
Minutes away from my birthplace.
IF this event occurs during my spring break
THEN I will most likely be there.
IN THE MEAN TIME I am having a 70s party (we are going in reverse order of decades- we've already had the 90s and 80s parties) on Feb 5- My sis and I have b days 6 days apart, so a duo b day. Lots of live music, fun, crash space, etc. Fair Oaks (sacramento area) CA 95628. Be there.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

j$ wrote:
roymond wrote:I will chime in ~ out of context ;)
Oh so that's what Blue's doing ... i wondered why he didn't time to post/fight any more :)
I suspect that if Blue started an airline it would be called "Planehole."

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

It's like the planets are in alignment or something today. Let me start in on my better half, Primitive Screwheads-wise, to get the convoy set up.

The RG is in, barring surprise weddings and dismemberments.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Alright so far we've got interest from:

Gus
JBB (* edit)
Ken and the New Incredibles
Loyalty Day
Octothorpe
pray for mojo (*edit)
Puce
Rabid Garfunkel
Roymond
Sober Irishman (*edit)
Squirrel Damage
State Shirt

I think this is enough to give us a go. If anyone else becomes interested as planning goes forward please give me a holler'. Sam as your planning goes ahead keep me posted - given that you are part of at least two bands that I'd like to perform I hope to convince you to come...

And Ken if you can get the word out to the bands that are conspicuously absent from chiming in: pfm, state shirt, befores, and sos come to mind. We definitely need Chris in order for us to really and truly hulk out.

As bands become more or less certain of their intentions, keep me posted with pm's saying something like

"octothorpe at 70% to show", or

"KNI says go to hell we wouldn't play in your decadent morally bankrupt city if our collective bums were on fire and you had the only extinguisher in North America",

Just so I can get a sense of where everyone is...
Sean
Last edited by mico saudad on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Here's a nibble from the JBB.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

jb wrote:Here's a nibble from the JBB.
Sweet.

I just wrote (and quickly deleted) a paragraph about how I was excited to hear 'Science' and 'Red Robot', but what I actually typed was the following:

"I can't wait for some Red Rocket action". I have no idea where that came from but I almost wet myself laughing.... at myself... to myself.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

abecedarian wrote:We definitely need Chris in order for us to really and truly hulk out.
well then PLAN ON HULKIN' OUT!

pfm is in.

ps: One of you No Cal-ers should put a tickle in Yook's ear about coming. LA could use a little Sadcore.
White people, is you funky?
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Nibble.
🤠
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Wow. Great interest. Here's my plan:
-show up, hang out, whatever in practice room (4-7pm)
-set up showcase room (6-7pm)
-rock (7-midnight)

I'll reserve the rooms in the next week. With this many people we're guranteed to have plenty of talent show up.

Next step, publicity... more to come soon
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

Attention LA people
To increase the likelihood of me traveling to LA to play in what is sure to be a stellar event, please listen to my stuff, and tell me what (4,5?) songs you want to hear. I am not planning on bringing any equipment, so I assume there is drums, bass, gtr, etc. I have tried to get others to accompany me, but we'll see. So click on squirrel damage below, and vote for your faves. I hope to be there, but who knows. Also check out Kimmy D and Matt Glossy... for more potential songs. See ja
TA
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

abecedarian wrote:Wow. Great interest. Here's my plan:
-show up, hang out, whatever in practice room (4-7pm)
-set up showcase room (6-7pm)
-rock (7-midnight)
Does this imply a one-day event or is that hang-out and practice the day before? I don't think things would come off that well cramming it all into one day. Plus there's little time for chemistry to boil over.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Does this imply a one-day event or is that hang-out and practice the day before? I don't think things would come off that well cramming it all into one day. Plus there's little time for chemistry to boil over.
That is purely the "day-of" events. There are two places near me that, daily, rent stocked rooms (drums+amps+gear-instruments) for $18 and hour which is pretty cheap if a bunch of people get together just to chill out and have fun and get to know each other.

If people are interested in getting together the day before, I guarantee it will happen and that there will be plenty of time for as much practice as you want. (I live in LA so you could come the week before and we could hang out if you want - it's just a matter of when other people can/will take off work/play/world domination, etc)

If you're suggesting a two day event, I'm open for that, but I'd need a show of hands to see if there's enough interest to pull that off...
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Tony Asbestos wrote:Attention LA people
To increase the likelihood of me traveling to LA to play in what is sure to be a stellar event, please listen to my stuff, and tell me what (4,5?) songs you want to hear. I am not planning on bringing any equipment, so I assume there is drums, bass, gtr, etc. I have tried to get others to accompany me, but we'll see. So click on squirrel damage below, and vote for your faves. I hope to be there, but who knows. Also check out Kimmy D and Matt Glossy... for more potential songs. See ja
TA
will do - (you won't need any equioment it will all be here)