I gotta pocket fulla quarters (At the Arcade)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

fretnoize wrote:
Embers Of Autumn
Vocal compression? Mouse clicks!! in all serious though, A for effort. Louder drums please. Vocals are off a lot, but that stuff is hard for some of us, I'm in the same boat. I can tell you gave it a good try though.
I actually had a good reason why the drums were soft--I was using a pretty one-shot type of drum synth program that didn't come with a brush set, which is what I really wanted for the song originally. As the song picked up more instruments and adding of distortion, i decided that the basic drum set would be fine, but I sure had a problem with setting the volume level on each specific drum. (The crashes were making the song register in the red on volume and crack quite a bit). Another few days and I probably could have mixed the volume better, but then again, that's what makes SongFight! such a challenge.

As regards the mouse clicks... Sorry.

And I can't sing, so that answers that one. (I had mentioned in my reviews I was recording the vocals last minute. This also included it being some 30 minutes after I woke up on the morning it was due. Poor time management on my part, really, but then there's the 'I can't sing' fact too)
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

ssrebellion wrote:so, blue, i'm a little intrigued by your use of the word 'gestapo' in describing my vocals.
it sounds like an SS sergeant yelling at me. :beatsme: it was a little too much of a juxtaposition.
ssrebellion
A New Player

Post by ssrebellion »

hehe. well, i find the analogy amusing.

i'm sorry you found it abrasive.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

ssrebellion wrote:hehe. well, i find the analogy amusing.

i'm sorry you found it abrasive.
great.

where are your reviews?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

This fight sukcs...it sucks so bad that I can't spell sukcs right.

Worthy notes though:
overall sound I like:
Lord of Oats... I like what you are going for there.
fawmit...killer whales...ya'll have it right even if I'm not diggin' (noteworthy flies hovering over a pile of crap? :D )

PiGP- Crap in perfect clarity. ( I can almost get into your tune )

Renwick - Great overall sound. The best song this week. I could be in your band. (who am I right? I'm just saying, I could jam to this pretty well.)

Shermanway - YOU TOO have a pretty good song amongst a bunch of crap this week. However, you and Renwick stand out. YOU sound familiar somehow though. Old songfighter with a different name?

Steve D: another one worthy of noting... but unfortunately you too only reach topsoil.

V4V: I like your approach.

I hope I don't sound too much like an A-hole. I've had a couple of drinks and I KNOW I have NO ROOM to talk. This fight however was hard to listen to overall and I even got vocal complaints from people around me at work. ANYBODY I've mentioned in my post just now deserves mentioning. I'm just so dragged down by the whole fight that its just... I don't know whats good anymore.

I'm not saying which but my vote goes to Renwick or Shermanway:

*flips coin
ssrebellion
A New Player

Post by ssrebellion »

blue wrote:
great.

where are your reviews?
yeah. about that. I had started to review, and then got distracted. I lost the document in which I had saved my reviews, and got frusterated. Maybe soon?
ssrebellion
A New Player

Post by ssrebellion »

Ok. I reviewed:

Adam Adamant - Reminds me of early Atom and His Package. Vocals could use some work, and personally, I think you say 'glad we came' too many times.

Baker - The initial synth line carrying the melody is nice. I think that vocals would make this a lot more interesting. It's good, but not interesting enough to carry all the way through five minutes.

Bax - Sounds like a toned down Polysics, then takes an extreme turn towards the 80's. The digitized voice isn't always clear, but I don't think it matters much.

Bleep Blop Blork - I can't understand a word, but I'm sure you already knew that. It sounds like it could be video game music, of sorts.

Booty Chesterfield Trio - It's blues-ish. It's a decent track, its not great, its not boring. At first I wasn't sure if that was a harmonica or not.

Capitalist Youth - I like this track. I enjoy the xylophone.

Chonny - The vocals don't quite blend. Adjusting the volume might fix it, or maybe some reverb. The guitar track is pretty good. Sort of reminds me of a lo-fi indie band called Little Jeans.

Embers of Autumn - I enjoy the piano, I don't enjoy the vocals as much. I do like the trade-off style where one vocal-take starts just as another is ending. The distortion on 'dumb button masher' is a little too much. Atari's influence?

FAWMit - This sounds just like a pop-punk band named the Plus Ones. I enjoy the Plus Ones, so I guess that's a good thing.

Gaytsar - The intro sounds like a track by the Dead Kennedys, maybe 'Trust Your Mechanic'. The vocals are very muffled, and the yelling is amusing.

Hostess Mostess - the intro (just before the vocals) made me start humming 'The Final Countdown'. I think the drum line is a little fast in comparison to the rest of the music. The vocals are reminiscent of Jonathan Coulton.

Jimmy Jet and His TV Set - Another bluesy track. It's an ok track. Nothing seems particularly bad about it, but it doesn't really stand out.

Killer Whales - The beginning sounds like a band out of the 90's mainstream. I absolutely love the deep vocals. "Fat Kid..." And am I wrong, or was that not really a trumpet, but someone making trumpet noises into their hand?

Lord of Oats - This song, musically, is extremely similar to 'Picture Book' by the Kinks. It has that whole 60's rock feel going on.

Pathetic Wannabees - I can't really understand you, but I think it makes the song more fun. I agree with the other reviews, you sound like Devo or something off of the Dr. Demento Show. Also, the bell thing is too loud. Overall I enjoyed this track.

Pigpen - The music is good and interesting, the vocals could use some work. But the part where you say 'yeah, i bet you do drugs' matches the aesthetic of the song, for whatever reason.

Renwick - My girlfriend compared you to Staind. I wouldn't know.

Sankyu Ruckystar - This shares elements with the Postal Service. It's not a bad track, certainly laid-back and easy to listen to.

Sherman Way - I'm really confused about this track. Just read what I said about the Killer Whales.

Soundscape Rebellion - that's me. I dunno.

Steve Durand - Lounge rock? With Mariachi horns? It certainly is an interesting entry.

V for Victory - I like the introductory solo. The double bass is ridiculous. The vocals have the grit, but could use a little more feeling. At times it sounds like you're faking it.

All in all, good fight.
Hurryhome
A New Player

The Man Playing With His TV Set

Post by Hurryhome »

I guess I like this kind of warm, cute song after all.
It just like a little piece of snack pleasing my mouth...actually, my ears.
And...can I have another piece?
:D
Love is such a shit that I can't even have a taste.
Jerry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: chonny

Post by Jerry »

I know it's time consuming to write reviews. And I can usually appreciate someone's comments. But saying someone's track sounds like so-and-so or reminds you of what's-their-name is pretty useless information. I mean, how is this relevant?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Jerry wrote:I know it's time consuming to write reviews. And I can usually appreciate someone's comments. But saying someone's track sounds like so-and-so or reminds you of what's-their-name is pretty useless information. I mean, how is this relevant?
Hey welcome to songfight!
ssrebellion
A New Player

Post by ssrebellion »

Jerry wrote:I mean, how is this relevant?
Maybe it's not. But, I felt it showed that I listened to the tracks deep enough to draw a comparison to something else that I already listen to.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Jerry wrote:I know it's time consuming to write reviews. And I can usually appreciate someone's comments. But saying someone's track sounds like so-and-so or reminds you of what's-their-name is pretty useless information. I mean, how is this relevant?
You know that spot on your myspace page where you are supposed to put who you sound like?
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Is "relevant" a word that means something different in Canada than it does everywhere else people speak English?
dogmaticmd
A New Player

AtA

Post by dogmaticmd »

I'm new to the fight, which is BTW really cool, a lot of good things happening here.

Wanted to mention my favorites:

Pigpen - Theres some cool idea behind this song, especially the main riff.

Capitalist youth - obviously a good song, lyrics are written nicely. The way the song progresses and new things are added is very well done as well.

Sankyu - I laughed out loud when I heard what you were saying at the end. Subtle humor at its best. Your style seems very familiar, what with the instrumentation/sounds you took advantage of, I like it.

Killerwhales - I didn't particular enjoy this one, but its still good. The chorus threw me off a little bit but thats just my own taste.

Renwick - Very good quality sound, very solid, but I usually like to have more of an interesting, creative hook or something outstanding to hold on to.

Chonny - This is my favorite one, honestly. The chorus (especially the response-type of guitar riff you have going there), and the whole verse really. This is a really good song. Your voice isn't bad, and its actually pretty charming in its own way, but I'm feeling the execution just isn't doing justice to the ideas and melodies in your songwriting here. I still really loved listening to this.. multiple times. The sound quality seemed better to me than most of the other ones.. not sure if thats just me, but thats not what I was paying attention to anyway.
Jerry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Jerry »

erik wrote:
Is "relevant" a word that means something different in Canada than it does everywhere else people speak English?
Your comment reminds me of a comment made by Bob Fitzpatrick in 1987. See? Relevant, huh? Canadians pride ourselves on our generosity to those areas of the world in need. I'm preparing a box of dictionaries for Texas as I speak. :D
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Letting someone know they sound like another band can do several useful things for you, depending on your goal as the songwriter/performer:

1. Confirm that you have succeeded in emulating a style that you were attempting to emulate. Yay! It worked! Objective ears are useful!

2. Let you know if you completely missed the mark you were shooting for. "I was *trying* to sound like *Postal Service* and everybody's telling me it sounds like *Yaz*, so maybe I need to make a few changes."

2. Inform you that you have skewed into the distinctive style of a band that you may or may not like, whether accidentally or on purpose. This can be good, if you like the band and like sounding like them-- you may not have been aware that you sounded like them. It can be bad, if you don't like the band, or if you don't like sounding like somebody else. Personally, I don't really like sounding like somebody else, so it's useful to me to know this.

3. Reveal the existence of a like-minded musician or band that you didn't know of before. If someone says "this sounds like Yaz" and you've never heard of Yaz, and you like your song even though you were shooting for something more like Postal Service, maybe you should go listen to some Yaz. Could be you'd rather try to emulate Yaz.

4. Allow you to examine your arrangement to discover what produced the comment from the reviewer. "Hmmmm, what in here made them think this song sounds like Yaz?" And then you can possibly follow up with the reviewer via Private Message. "Hey, what makes you think this song sounds like Yaz? I can't figure it out. Is it the sparse electronic arrangement? The androgynous vocals? Both? Something else?"

Music reviews are like playing poker. Anything somebody says is information to take in and use on the next hand. Your ability to do so can make the difference between success and failure.

It depends on whether you are being meticulous in your song and recording craft, or just fucking around. Nothing wrong with fucking around, if it winds up sounding good.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Jerry wrote:
erik wrote:
Your comment reminds me of a comment made by Bob Fitzpatrick in 1987. See? Relevant, huh? Canadians pride ourselves on our generosity to those areas of the world in need. I'm preparing a box of dictionaries for Texas as I speak. :D
I use relevant to mean "directly related to the thing we're talking about". If the subject of discussion is my writing, then comparing it to another writer is relevant because you're talking about my writing style. I really have no idea why you think that comparing the style of one artist to the style of another is irrelevant.
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

Perhaps a more appropirate word would have been 'pertinent'. Whilst you can argue about the dictionary all day Jerry does have a point that sometimes people will just spend two seconds telling you your song sounds like Band X. Whilst this can be useful, for the reasons given, I would say it's not necessarily as useful or as meaningful as direct chit chat about the music. I would prefer to hear that my bass line is too dull rather than that my song sounds like Blink 182, it's more precise and there are a lot of reasons that Blink 182 are bad (or good) and it's unlikely all of them are relevant to my song.
Jerry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Jerry »

adamadamant wrote:Perhaps a more appropirate word would have been 'pertinent'. Whilst you can argue about the dictionary all day Jerry does have a point that sometimes people will just spend two seconds telling you your song sounds like Band X. Whilst this can be useful, for the reasons given, I would say it's not necessarily as useful or as meaningful as direct chit chat about the music. I would prefer to hear that my bass line is too dull rather than that my song sounds like Blink 182, it's more precise and there are a lot of reasons that Blink 182 are bad (or good) and it's unlikely all of them are relevant to my song.
This is my point exactly. And while I thank jb for his response and agree with each point, I find 'sounds-like' comments to be kind of lazy. Or they're a bit name-droppy, like 'sounds like early Blowhole' (an imaginary band). So? It's not Blowhole. If you think it sounds like Blowhole, how is this helpful to me? I suppose I could try to track down a Blowhole song to see if this particular song I've written for Songfight does indeed sound like Blowhole. I even had someone tell me an earlier song I submitted sounded like someone who used to send tunes to songfight. Uh, yeah? Thanks for the review. Before someone tells me to blow it out my hole, jb is correct on all points. But it hardly passes as a review or critique and is, more often than not, irrelevant.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Jerry wrote:This is my point exactly. And while I thank jb for his response and agree with each point, I find 'sounds-like' comments to be kind of lazy. Or they're a bit name-droppy, like 'sounds like early Blowhole' (an imaginary band). So? It's not Blowhole. If you think it sounds like Blowhole, how is this helpful to me? I suppose I could try to track down a Blowhole song to see if this particular song I've written for Songfight does indeed sound like Blowhole. I even had someone tell me an earlier song I submitted sounded like someone who used to send tunes to songfight. Uh, yeah? Thanks for the review. Before someone tells me to blow it out my hole, jb is correct on all points. But it hardly passes as a review or critique and is, more often than not, irrelevant.
Irrelevant to what? Good christ, dude. Sure, any one- or two-line comment is kind of lazy, but mentioning another artist at least tells me something about what the song sounds like to other people. It's a way to sum up one's impression of the song. I mean, someone telling me, "This song sounds like Paul Anka," taken the right way, is potentially a lot more useful than "This song is good."

The thing that makes this a lot worse is the reviewer here gave you mix tips, told you what he liked about your track, and then made the comparison. It's shorter than anything I'd write, probably, but it's still a good chunk of information for you. Reviews are free, dude. Beggars can't be choosers. Complaining about their quality just sounds like bitching to all our ears. Because it is. People on here have written reviews of my songs that had no purpose except to mock me and put me down, and not in any sort of playful or jesting manner, either. Even then, I didn't directly respond to it. Maybe I don't know enough about the business, but I've never heard of a producer writing a letter to Roger Ebert, and saying, "HEY MAN, WHY'D YOU PUT MY MOVIE DOWN LIKE THAT?" or even worse, "HEY ROG. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU SAY MY MOVIE REMINDED YOU OF THE BREAKFAST CLUB? WHAT KIND OF SHIT IS THAT, MAN? I MEAN, SERIOUSLY. WHAT DOES THAT TELL MY AUDIENCE? NOTHING RELEVANT TO MY FILM, OBVIOUSLY! JESUS."

Let me tell you something. If someone sounds like Blowhole, we really shouldn't have to tell you to go listen to Blowhole. Jesus Goatfucking Christ, dude. Unless you're some kind of sadistic son of a bitch like me or Frank Zappa or something, you wouldn't dream of making music you don't like. If you sound like Blowhole, and the comparison's accurate, if nothing else, you ought to like them, as an artist. If you listen and you don't think the reviewer is right, you're welcome to come back and say so, though you'd probably still sound pretty bitchy. But you're right. If the point of SF for you is closing your mind off from new music, and not doing any research to find out what someone means when they make a comment (talk about fucking lazy), then I guess it is pretty useless for someone to tell you that you sound like Blowhole, isn't it?

Did you look at the review I got from this fellow? If you thought yours was short and/or lazy, come on. And am I complaining about this? I'd have loved some indication of whether the song was actually enjoyable to the listener, what I might do to make it more appealing, or what worked well for it. But you know what? Somebody thinks my song sounds like the Kinks. If that's not a good piece of information for me to have, I don't know what is. I sound like the fucking Kinks? Sweet. I win.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

shut up and review songs, donkeys.