Songfight! Boston August 12-13 (I Know My Rights)

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
bz£
Panama

Songfight! Boston August 12-13 (I Know My Rights)

Post by bz£ »

Hi! My name is Ben, and for your congregating pleasure I would like to host a little concert for y'all, later this summer.

MAIN SF LIVE INFO PAGE

Here is a summary of salient facts, which I will try to keep relatively current. I will update this more frequently as the event draws nearer, because I am less likely to suffer an extended power outage in the summer when it doesn't snow as much here. (Current weather update: expecting temperatures close to 90 F all weekend, with maybe some scattered thunderstormery. You'll think you're in Austin!)

If you are interested in maybe travelling to Boston, Massachusetts, because you are a rocker and you rock out, please mark this weekend on your calendar:

Friday, August 12 to Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Song Fight! Live Road Show will occur in three main parts:

1. Friday night: Somerville City Club, Somerville, MA (the CITY OF LOVE). 7-12 pm. Rock out, part one.

2. Saturday afternoon: 3-6 PM at the Zeitgeist Gallery, Cambridge. Acoustic only.

3. Saturday night: Somerville City Club, Somerville MA. 7-12 pm. Rock out, part two, and live fight finale.

Live fight title: "I Know My Rights"

There is also:
0. Practice space. All day Thursday, noon to midnight, and Friday from noon to seven PM. Jamspot, Somerville, MA.

The times listed are actual times for which I have the venues booked. The Friday show will likely be close to the whole 7-12. On Saturday, expect the first show to end early and the second to start late; I won't be able to give more specific times until probably the first few days of August, but I really don't want to have less than two hours between the shows.

Here is a message board for the songfight! live show. If you are coming, please at least check in and confirm there.

love,
ben.
Last edited by bz£ on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

As for those dates

June 3-5 Um, thats the weekend after I come back from the Bahamas(I love you, school with lots of money to pay for me to go on a cruise) so I may be... well, busy, tired, or bright red from suburn. And I'll still be in school, so this might not be the best
June 17-19 I could make this, unless we have snow days which push school back in which case, no.
July 29-31 Most likely.
August 12-14 Most likely.

So, July or August is better for me. Dad and I(and possibly Mum) will be driving or flying up. Dunno whether I'd do any singing-y-ness though. Possibly just sit and point and clap and such.
Songfighter since back in the day.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Bjam wrote:Dunno whether I'd do any singing-y-ness though.
You show up, you play a song. At least one song. It is a rule.*

*that I made up just now, but still.
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Post by feldspar »

Well, uhm, June 5th is my high school graduation, so that's out for me. But Feldspar will totally be there on any of those other weekends.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

July and August dates always work better.

I don't know much about my future and where I'll be traveling from...but I'll certainly do everything I can to make it there myself.

I hear boston gets cold in the winter? is this true?
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Cold? Bah. They don't know cold down in Beantown.

By some scheduling miracle, I'm booked every weekend between now and the end of May. I have a couple obligations after that, but for the most part, I can remain flexible to whatever date is decided upon here.

I'm excited to see some chatter about this. Can't wait!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Hey!

Thanks for stepping up Ben!

All those dates should be fine with me, but if you do it on June 17-19th, the Elite Inner Echelon Blood-Circle will be at Peak Astrological Power!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

August 12 - 14th you say? Me on holiday in the States at that time, I say? The British are coming (possibly)

j$
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

I was going to the US last year but there was a report that the 'Dept of Homeland Security' was not only deporting UK visitors for ANY previous infringement of US law - ie late departure (expired visa by as little as a day), or having a jay walking ticket etc, but they were also SHACKLING them, QUESTIONING them, holding them for up to 24 hrs before putting them on planes in handcuffs.
This put me off. Not that I'm paranoid!
I heard recently that they have lightened up a little, so if all's well I might be over there in the summer too.
If I am and you'll have me I'd love to play.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

July 29-31 I am planning to be camping out with the kids for WOMAD, Rivermead, United Kingdom. Other weekends would therefore be more convenient/possible.

Awesome!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

August dates suit me pretty well...I'm dying to meet some of you crazy SF cats... ;)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

august might be a good time.
can't commit to anything right now, tho. by then i'll have to clear it with "wife." oooh, weird.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

They're pretty equal in my book. Seems like it will likely be bigger than Austin was. Hmm.

Hopefully I'll be able to go.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

All of the dates look equal to me as well, since I have no frikkin idea what show I'll be working for at that point and therefore no idea what/when I'll be able to get off. I'm excited about the show, and I think Boston is a great city for it.
White people, is you funky?
the idiot king
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming, Stuff for Hitting
Recording Method: Logic Pro 11, Arturia Audiofuse 16Rig
Submitting as: The Idiot Kings
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by the idiot king »

wow, thanks for stepping up to the plate. i'm definitely interested, and i'll be available whatever weekend you want me to be.

seek me out at the show and we'll discuss over a beer. i'm the one in the picture at http://www.myspace.com/ochmoneks .

p.s.- thanks for the kind words about my band!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Alright, if I actually make it this year, I'll only be a spectator, because there's too much of a chance of things going wrong and I'd hate to let people down again. That said, as a spectator and non-performer, I think either the late July dates or the August date would work well for me. The June thing was alright, but for me at least, the unimportant spectator, those would be preferable.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Actually, I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon that says August is good. My buddy Stu said it would be best for him and that he has buddies at whose house we could crash and that he probably couldn't make it in June or July. It would give me a little more time to save up some spendin' money, too.

Oh yeah, try and ensure that the venue would allow <21-year-olds in/to play.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

mkilly wrote:Oh yeah, try and ensure that the venue would allow <21-year-olds in/to play.
Don't worry, all-ages is gonna be pretty much mandatory.
c hack
Panama

Re: Songfight! Boston 2005

Post by c hack »

bzl wrote:This Sunday night at the Middle East upstairs, the Idiot King's band is playing and they are good so you should go.
Crap, how come I didn't know about this? It's not like it's sitting right there on the main page of Song Fight. Well, I guess the show's probably over now...

(all those dates sound good to me. Of course, I live here...

ooo, except I'll be in Canadia some time this summer for my cousin's wedding. Better find out when that is...)
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

August sounds good. Aught Five ought to rock!
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

July, though I could probably make the August date. Believe me, you will appreciate the extra time that affords you for planning.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

If it is humanly possible at all? Rachael and myself will BOTH be there this time!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)