Sightings of Songfighter music in commercial use

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Sightings of Songfighter music in commercial use

Post by Sober »

I'm working on some client video, and decided I needed to boost my timelapse workflow. LR Timelapse is what most of the pros use nowadays. Going through the first-time tutorial, I hear some nice acoustic pop at the very end. Wouldn't you know it, Josh Woodward.

Tutorial page: http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/

Direct link to video in question (song starts right at 30:00):

Any of you other guys getting commercial work?
🤠
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Re: Sightings of Songfighter music in commercial use

Post by rone rivendale »

Back in 2003 I got a letter in the mail from a guy in Southampton, NY. He said he was a director doing a commercial for a local jewelry store and he had used the instrumental version of one of my songs (Dance of the Techno Angels) for background music. Along with the letter was a check for $300. He said that's all he had in his budget to give me and hoped it would suffice.

First of all, I never would have known he had used it if not for this letter. I live in Kansas and he was in New York. Secondly, holy crap 300 bucks? It blew my mind that someone was that interested in my music that they would pay me for it.

Oh yeah, and there was that little thing where Melvin covered one of my songs and submitted it for Shred, a movie starring Tom Green. ;) But hey, no big deal. :D
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Josh Woodward has made a pretty good career for himself at this point. Song Fight was just one of his many stepping stones for his long-term plan, and he's been incredibly driven and savvy when it comes to making connections and getting his music out there. We could all learn a thing or two from him.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Just saw Josh Woodward in another random spot. End credit music in this flash game: http://www.kongregate.com/games/the_exp ... complete-3

Over the next couple of months, I'll be scoring a number of short films. Should be interesting to see where that takes me.
🤠
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

haha yeah I happened to play that game the other day too and I was all "oh"
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

For a while, I was laying down bass and keyboard tracks for Jazz House Blues, a local studio that produces short clips for commercial use. The owner asks various musicians to come in one at a time, and has them jam with a recorded track as he develops it, offering direction as they play ("More plinky!" "OK, now go nuts!"). When he has enough material, he selects bits from each performance, rearranges them into 30 or 60 second tracks, and puts them up on his web site for sale. For a while he was also making short songs this way.

As a bassist (not his only bassist), I would usually get to work from a library drum track he'd selected, without hearing any other instruments. He would tell me what mood or style he was going for, I would offer something up, and he would make suggestions until we found something he liked. A few weeks later, after recording everybody else and mixing it all down (or up), he would send the musicians an MP3 of the finished track. I wasn't always happy with the bass line he pulled together from clips, but he paid me generously considering the time it took, and the overall feel of the finished product was usually pretty cool.

He kind of adopted me while I was between day jobs a couple of years back. I haven't heard from him for a few months. Most recently, he asked me to doctor the opening of Moonlight Sonata so musicians could jam to it in Am. I did it, but I confessed it made me uncomfortable. I don't think it ever went up on his site. Before that he had me lay down bits from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm, and he did post the result; it's on his Facebook site.