So here's a thread to talk about cooking and baking.
Earlier this week I found a bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer, so I looked up a strawberry muffin recipe. But it called for 2 cups of strawberries, which I didn't have, so I also used 2 frozen bananas I had in the freezer as well.
Muffins turned out great, though I had a lot of batter so I made a loaf as well. The loaf turned out pretty god damned dense, since the strawberry/banana concoction added a shitload of extra liquid that I failed to compensate for. Tastes great anyway.
I recently got an oven thermometer because some bread I made cooked SO MUCH FASTER than it was supposed to. And kind of burned a little bit, naturall. Also my parchment paper fucking scorched, so we didn't get a baking-bread scent in our house, we got a burning-paper stench. It looks as if my oven's calibration is like 50 degrees out of whack. Fuck this oven, man. Jenn-Air piece of shit. Hope it feels the target on its back. I'm shopping for induction ranges.
Tonight I made spaghetti with chicken. We eat a lot of pasta.
- Ragu sauce (out of a jar)
- Some chicken. One fried chicken breast from a grocery store, cut up, and one chicken breast I found frozen in the freezer from who the hell knows how long ago. I diced them so if I overcooked the frozen one it's less obvious. And it cooks super fast.
- I dumped some dried oregano into the Ragu, along with half a stick of butter.
- For quite some time I've been in the Internet-fueled habit of using a heckuva lot less water than "tradition" recommends for my pasta, and putting the pasta in when the water's cold. Turns out fine, cooks a lot faster. I definitely salt the water.
- The chicken gets smooshed with some random poutry seasoning powder I got somewhere sometime
- And I dump probably 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (from a jar) into the chicken as it cooks.
Later this evening I went to the grocery store and got fixins for shrimp fried rice. I'm going to make this recipe I think: https://www.averiecooks.com/easy-better ... ried-rice/#
Though I dunno-- I have a bag of brussel sprouts I got on a whim, and it's probably about to go bad. So maybe that'll get roasted sometime in the next couple days.