Cooking

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Cooking

Post by gizo »

I make lazy pizza in a frypan on the stovetop, and then pop the fry pan under the griller (or whatever name the rest of the world has for it).
.sig
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That works too! In the US we call it a broiler, in UK and I think other Commonwealth nations it's a grill.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

In our house it’s actually The Gorilla but I didn’t want to make it too confusing....
.sig
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

2E3C71F3-5714-44F6-8F3E-824880A718BC.gif
2E3C71F3-5714-44F6-8F3E-824880A718BC.gif (3.37 MiB) Viewed 937 times
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Toshiro sent me this recipe yesterday and, as luck would have it, we had two “past their best” aubergines in the fridge. I added a little coconut milk and it was delicious.

Edit: Might help to include the recipe link. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... SApp_Other

12367096-7996-4FFA-8463-62FAE8B78FE9.jpeg
12367096-7996-4FFA-8463-62FAE8B78FE9.jpeg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Make pumpkin soup

Fry checkin in red curry paste, and add coconut milk

Let these two become one.

Swoon
.sig
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Made a crustless quiche this morning because the cat woke me up chasing a twisty tie around the room at 7 am.
9934B8BE-7849-45F2-8EA1-5219FA4CC0FF.jpeg
9934B8BE-7849-45F2-8EA1-5219FA4CC0FF.jpeg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 904 times
My husband said “that was the most savory thing I’ve ever tasted. What did you put in there to make it so umami?!”

In a lightly greased pie pan, put: cherry tomatoes, bacon bits, broccoli, mushrooms, green onions, basil
Mix and pour over it: Eggs, heavy cream, half and half, shredded mozzarella and Chihuahua quesadilla cheese
Season with: s&p, thyme, dried “Italian herbs”, garlic powder
Bake at 350 for about 45 mins, until set
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

A wee little bowl, with an anchovie in it.
splosh in some dijon and white wine vinegar
Crush a few lumps of garlic in there too
Pop an egg in some boiling water for a minute, but no longer.
Crack the gooshy egg into the bowl, and scrape out the white too
Whisk
Drizzle olive oil in as you go, until you’ve got a lovely peppy sauce

Throw it on a combo of cos lettuce, bacon, croutons, and Parmesan shavings.

Your’re welcome.
.sig
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Latest ice cream experiment: 3/4 cup of coconut cream, a couple tablespoons of agave nectar, 1/4 teaspoon of orange extract, 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder.

Vegan chocolate orange ice cream, and it doesn't even taste (much) like coconut! (And what coconut flavor is there complements it well.)

This is now my favorite way of making no-fuss ice cream.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

gizo wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:49 am
A wee little bowl, with an anchovie in it.
splosh in some dijon and white wine vinegar
Crush a few lumps of garlic in there too
Pop an egg in some boiling water for a minute, but no longer.
Crack the gooshy egg into the bowl, and scrape out the white too
Whisk
Drizzle olive oil in as you go, until you’ve got a lovely peppy sauce

Throw it on a combo of cos lettuce, bacon, croutons, and Parmesan shavings.

Your’re welcome.
I like your style.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Toshiro and I made a new batch of wine, which means I also made some new labels, and I’m pretty fucken proud of how badass they look.

60A9E251-D444-4382-A367-9308AB6CCE0E.jpeg
60A9E251-D444-4382-A367-9308AB6CCE0E.jpeg (99 KiB) Viewed 804 times
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

@fluffy I bought a Dash ice cream maker because I was Influenced by you! I've only tried it once--I may have left the canister out too long before adding the ingredients, but it never got it all the way to ice cream consistency, more of a Blizzard type of texture. I did Splenda-sweetened whipped cream + chopped dark chocolate + crushed raspberries and it was delicious...

@crumpart I love the label!

in my recent cooking world: I made yogurt in the Instant Pot for the first time--whole milk, and I strained it afterwards to make Greek yogurt. I had it with toasted pecans and a tiny drizzle of honey, and it's pretty great. I think I might try making a batch with half and half next time and/or some heavy cream added to increase the milkfat content... I have very fond memories of the insanely thick and creamy yogurt they had in the breakfast bar at a hotel I stayed at in Istanbul once; I've never found anything that comes close in stores in the US.

(I had tried making yogurt manually via stovetop/oven once before, following instructions from my mother-in-law, but I scorched it a little and it also never got as thick as I wanted it to be. Hers came out delicious, with a cream layer on top despite using just regular homogenized milk from the grocery store, and mine, uh, did not.)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Did you pre-chill your ice cream base before putting it in? You need everything as cold as possible for it to work well; if anything you want the ice cream to be just barely above freezing before you start.

That ice cream flavor mix sounds really good though. I mean, aside from the Splenda, which I can't tolerate the flavor of, but that's just my own issues.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

The ingredients came out of the fridge, which I thought would be cold enough, but maybe I will pre-chill in the freezer next time. I wondered also if starting with whipped cream rather than liquid cream would cause an issue with how solid it would freeze.

I only have Splenda and stevia around as artificial sweeteners at the moment, and Splenda tastes better/less noticeable to me than stevia. Berries aren't actually super high carb, but I figured between the berries + chocolate + lactose, I should cut down on any extra sweetener.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh definitely, limiting carbs is obviously your highest priority.

I think using pre-whipped whip cream might be a problem since the air probably insulated it pretty well. Also what temperature is your freezer set to? The lower the better.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

With the yoghourt, you can try adding powdered milk to increase the milk fat content. I’ve done that before and it worked well.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Erin's been making yogurt for many years. She adds non-fat powdered milk, to up the protein but not the fat. Now that I've asked her about her yogurt making skills she's giving me the full lowdown. :lol: She doesn't strain the yogurt, but she does pour off the whey every morning and it sort of strains itself. She says the longer the milk is cooked at a high temperature the more it will thicken up. She uses a cast iron dutch oven though for cooking the milk, then a yogurt maker for incubating, as opposed to doing it all in her multi-cooker. owl, if you'd like to DM her, she said she'd enjoy talking about it.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll shoot Erin a message about it later before making another batch! My mother-in-law's method is stovetop + briefly heated but turned-off oven and she puts the yogurt in a little stoneware pot to set.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I haven't been *cooking* anything per se...but I do have about 10 liters of muscadine wine fermenting in my she'd. I'm also attempting to make some persimmon wine cause I hear it's big in Korea.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Fermentation is just really slow cooking at low temperatures.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Speaking of wine, we started on another batch of red yesterday. I can't remember what sort it is, but it has a bunch of oak chips in there, and in a first for us, grape skins!

IMG_3232.jpeg
IMG_3232.jpeg (105.41 KiB) Viewed 696 times

I also made some labels for the Sauv Blanc we just bottled. (If you're wondering why I make such fancy labels for our home made wine, it's because a) it makes me happy and b) I make video printmaking tutorials using these as examples because they're small and good for showcasing a variety of techniques. These ones are hand-coloured collagraph prints. The last ones were hand-coloured linocut prints.)

IMG_3235.jpeg
IMG_3235.jpeg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 696 times
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Now that is a nice looking label! I've been keeping my muscadine recipe as simple as possible since i'm completely new to this: just the juice from the grapes, distilled water, yeast, and some sugar to boost the booziness. I'm using recycled Carlo Rossi wine jugs to ferment them in.

The persimmon wine I'm attempting to make may or may not work out. I could have properly juiced them, but I don't have the equipment...so I essentially pureed them and just stirred it really well, figuring that the flavors and sugars would eventually end up in the finished product anyway which I'll obvious have to strain. If it turns into an abject failure, whatever. All of the persimmons were picked from roadside trees, so the only "cost" was a nice walk.

And crumpart (or should I just call you Leonie? I just default to your username), you may know this already but I'll clarify since you and others live in different continents: muscadine is one of a few different species of wild grape native to the eastern US. They grow like crazy here, and are delicious but I hardly know anyone here who has ever bothered even trying them. Oh well, more for me!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.