Cooking

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Cooking

Post by gizo »

Yesterday I grilled some salt & peppered Kangaroo fillets, sliced 'em up, and served them on a nice fresh garden salad with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

It was simple and delicious.
.sig
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

gizo wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:20 pm
Yesterday I grilled some salt & peppered Kangaroo fillets, sliced 'em up, and served them on a nice fresh garden salad with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

You should have served them with a roux
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Excellent work, owl. :)
.sig
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

After reading an article or two about breakfast salads (Australians, is this really a thing?), yesterday I decided to prep myself a week of Mason jar salads for breakfast. Day 1 has been consumed and it was surprisingly great; I like savory breakfasts anyway, and I loved not to have to do any prepwork in the morning aside from shaking up the jar and dumping it into a bowl.

Making fancy salads is sort of a pain in the ass because there are so many little fiddly things to wash and chop, but doing a bunch at once is kind of fun.

This week's jars:
  • Fresh lemon juice/olive oil/toasted sesame oil/Dijon mustard vinaigrette, with salt and white pepper and a little sugar to balance the lemon
  • Cosmic Crisp apples (OVERRATED! I still 100% prefer a Honeycrisp. And one of my apples with a "1-year shelf life" already has a soft brown spot)
  • Avocado chunks
  • Pea shoots
  • Shredded carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Feta cheese
  • Red bell pepper
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Peeled sweet potato chunks
  • Arugula
  • Spring mix
  • Chopped fresh herbs: flatleaf parsley, dill, cilantro
I have some leftover fried tofu from an appetizer at a ramen restaurant the other night that I might toss into one or all of the salads too.

I guess I'll find out how my jars are holding up by the end of the week... I shook up the apples and avocado to coat them with dressing before adding the other ingredients, so hopefully that will keep them from turning brown, and I piled plenty of crunchy stuff in to separate the soft greens from the dressing. I was on a Mason jar salad kick years ago, the first time we tried doing Whole30 (which is kind of bullshit but does force you to eat better), but I don't think I ever tried to preserve more delicate stuff like apples/avocados in the jars when I did it before.
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

owl wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am
This week's jars:
  • Fresh lemon juice/olive oil/toasted sesame oil/Dijon mustard vinaigrette, with salt and white pepper and a little sugar to balance the lemon
  • Cosmic Crisp apples (OVERRATED! I still 100% prefer a Honeycrisp. And one of my apples with a "1-year shelf life" already has a soft brown spot)
  • Avocado chunks
  • Pea shoots
  • Shredded carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Feta cheese
  • Red bell pepper
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Arugula
  • Spring mix
I have some leftover fried tofu from an appetizer at a ramen restaurant the other night that I might toss into one or all of the salads too.
Do you do mail orders?
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

owl wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am
After reading an article or two about breakfast salads (Australians, is this really a thing?), yesterday I decided to prep myself a week of Mason jar salads for breakfast. Day 1 has been consumed and it was surprisingly great; I like savory breakfasts anyway, and I loved not to have to do any prepwork in the morning aside from shaking up the jar and dumping it into a bowl.

Making fancy salads is sort of a pain in the ass because there are so many little fiddly things to wash and chop, but doing a bunch at once is kind of fun.

This week's jars:
  • Avocado chunks
  • Pea shoots
  • Shredded carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Feta cheese
  • Red bell pepper
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Arugula
  • Spring mix

I guess I'll find out how my jars are holding up by the end of the week... I shook up the apples and avocado to coat them with dressing before adding the other ingredients, so hopefully that will keep them from turning brown, and I piled plenty of crunchy stuff in to separate the soft greens from the dressing. I was on a Mason jar salad kick years ago, the first time we tried doing Whole30 (which is kind of bullshit but does force you to eat better), but I don't think I ever tried to preserve more delicate stuff like apples/avocados in the jars when I did it before.
Well, we don't call it "breakfast salad", we call it Smashed Avo on Toast. Common breakfast/brunch thing in cafés. That lettuce looks a little over the top for a Smashed Avo breakfast, but apart from that, yum.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 am
Well, we don't call it "breakfast salad", we call it Smashed Avo on Toast. Common breakfast/brunch thing in cafés. That lettuce looks a little over the top for a Smashed Avo breakfast, but apart from that, yum.
Isn't that avocado toast, though? We do lots of avocado toast but it involves toast. The article I was reading talked about actual salads with lettuce and such.

@Micah I'd happily mail you a salad, but you would have to promise to eat it after its journey through the USPS
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

I got a Turkish coffee set and after making way too many batches that were boiled way too hard and cleaning burnt powdery coffee off of my stove, I've finally figured out how to get a damn good cup.

Also, my shiitake logs are going nuts so I've been cooking a ton of those. Any good shiitake recipes from you songfighters?
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I like to sauté shiitake and then add tofu and then use that in ramen or udon or whatever. It also makes for great mushroom broth.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Chapchae! There's a bunch of other stuff in it, but I feel like shiitakes are essential.

I've never made this before, but one of these days I want to try making shiitake bacon.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh, I've accidentally made bacon-flavored stuff with cremini/button mushrooms. It works pretty well.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Yesterday my guitar calluses stopped me slicing into my fingertip. Yay!
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

It’s chili time! Let me share my wife’s grandfather’s idiot-proof firehouse chili recipe, slightly modified by me with some options:

1 can each (do not drain, dump in liquid and all):
  • Light red kidney beans
  • Dark red kidney beans
  • Black beans
  • Pinto beans
  • “Chili” beans (pinto beans in a chili sauce)
  • Rotel
  • Small can tomato sauce
  • Small can of corn
1 package veggie crumbles brand of your choice, Morningstar “grillers” is a good place to start. Boca is my least favorite.
1 diced onion, big as you want
3 globs minced garlic to taste (I dump a lot in there)
Teaspoon salt
Slathering of chili powder— a tablespoon or so maybe more
Big slathering of cumin— like a tablespoon at least, this is the money dust
Tablespoon of cocoa powder
Optional cayenne to taste if you like it spicy

Dump it all in the crock pot on high for four hours. Or less if you’re hangry. You’re basically just cooking the onions through a bit and heating it all up.

Great immediately, better the next day because it all comes together and thickens.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

I forgot to write down my recipe (did a mole poblano-inspired chili with ground up pepitas and hazelnuts and cocoa powder) for a friend's chili potluck party recently. But I loved the party because he asked everyone to wear white, so we were all wandering around dressed in (temporarily) immaculate white outfits with big bowls of chili, just waiting for a disaster.

One of my favorites was a chili macaroni and cheese casserole with crushed-up Fritos on top. Another favorite involved local grass-fed beef tongue and cheek pieces.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

One of my weeknight go-tos is taco night followed by using up the leftover taco meat in chili. My recipe is more or less the same as JB’s, though I don’t do corn in mine (serve with cornbread instead). I like to do a tablespoon each of dark chili powder, chipoatle chili powder, and smoked paprika, and a ton of cumin.

Love to eat the leftover chili on a bed of fritos, and of course chili-cheese tater tots.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

can't believe I haven't posted my chili recipe anywhere that still exists. Let's fix that

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound appropriate protein (ground/cubed beef/turkey/pork/tofu/TVP/whatever)
  • 1 medium-to-large yellow onion
  • EDIT: an absolute shitload of cumin (I can't believe I forgot this bit)
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 regular-size can of diced/sliced/crushed tomatoes (fire roasted is good)
  • 2-3 chipotle pods (dried) and/or other peppers to taste (guajillo, jalapeño, cayenne, whatever)
  • 1-2 cans of beans of your choice (black/pinto/kidney/northern), drained and rinsed (this ingredient is contentious, do not read this recipe if you are going to be a jerk about it)
  • 1 can of corn, drained
  • 1 quart of chicken/beef/vegetable broth/stock
  • 8-12 ounces of beer (optional); stout/porter work best, or try for something lower in hops
  • 3-4 cloves crushed garlic
  • oregano or something
Steps to be taken, in a large pot:
  1. brown the protein (add fat e.g. canola/bacon fat/refined olive oil/etc. if it's lean/veg)
  2. dice the onion and sweat it in the protein's delicious fat
  3. add the absolute shitload of cumin and stir it in
  4. brown the tomato paste a little bit
  5. add everything else
  6. bring it to a boil
  7. reduce to a low simmer
  8. cover, wait 45 minutes
  9. enjoy
If you want it a bit thicker, simmer it with the lid cracked open a bit. If that's also not thick enough, towards the end mix a couple tablespoons of corn starch with cold water and stir it until there's no lumps and then add that to the chili and bring it back to a boil for a few seconds.

For a good time also consider soaking dried beans overnight and using those instead of canned beans. If you do this you'll want to add the tomatoes after the cooking is mostly done, to prevent the beans from remaining crunchy. (Because crunchy beans aren't very good.)
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

irwin wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 pm
chili-cheese tater tots.
Ah man... I want to try some of those... next time we're in the studio with the Cock & Kasper crews, we definitely need some of those. ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

gizo wrote:

No it wasn’t you tosser.!!

You just ate roadkill

Roo tastes like shit. It is tough as buggery and just a waste of time. Whatever you are buying labelled as roo - if it is edible - is probably just rat or cat. I can’t believe they would actually export that stuff
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:01 am
gizo wrote:

You just ate roadkill

Roo tastes like shit. It is tough as buggery and just a waste of time. Whatever you are buying labelled as roo - if it is edible - is probably just rat or cat. I can’t believe they would actually export that stuff
My Chemistry teacher used to eat roadkill all the time. He was a bit odd.

As for the fillets I ate, I'd be horrified if they'd come from a rat because hat would've been a freaking enormous rat which scares me in my dreams. I guess they could've been cat fillets, but I would've expected cat to taste a little more ambivalent.
.sig
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

gizo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:14 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:01 am
gizo wrote:

You just ate roadkill

My Chemistry teacher used to eat roadkill all the time. He was a bit odd.

As for the fillets I ate, I'd be horrified if they'd come from a rat because hat would've been a freaking enormous rat which scares me in my dreams. I guess they could've been cat fillets, but I would've expected cat to taste a little more ambivalent.
Lol!! There seemed to be a fashion for eating roo years ago - I really couldn’t get into it. I assume you are posting from the US? It is weird to think it is being exported. What is that Australian themed restaurant chain in the US? So they serve too?
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Lol!! There seemed to be a fashion for eating roo years ago - I really couldn’t get into it. I assume you are posting from the US? It is weird to think it is being exported. What is that Australian themed restaurant chain in the US? So they serve too?
Nah, I'm just down in Melbourne. Our local supermarket gets some roo in fairly regularly, and I grab some if the price is right.
.sig
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:25 pm
As far as I know, Outback Steakhouse doesn't serve any actual Australian food, they just have shitty American restaurant food spoken in a Paul Hogan accent.