Anything but "you know what" discussion thread

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Anything but "you know what" discussion thread

Post by Lunkhead »

If you want to focus on something, anything else, let's do it here! I'm hoping to do some live synth jams and maybe stream them somewhere, or video them to post later, or both. I think also this weekend I'll be catching up on some chores that have been on my to-do list for a long time that I have been too busy to tackle otherwise. I think probably a couple good "quiet time"/meditation sessions would be nice. It's going to be raining here for a few days which means it's dark and gloomy which is great weather for taking naps, so I'm looking forward to catching up on some sleep and rest. And I have a few ideas for albums of material I've already made that I may now have more time to work on. Plus there's a lot in my queues on various streaming services but if anybody is excited about anything there please share!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Anything but "you know what" discussion thread

Post by Lunkhead »

I've been enjoying watching the live cam of the falcons that annually roost in the top of the UC Berkeley campus's Campanile. The momma falcon is sitting on two beautiful eggs right now.

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I got a new 3D printer to replace my aging Makerbot. It’s got way more functionality and is a lot easier to work with although it’s not quite as precise and doesn’t do as well on the various bench tests. But I’m having a lot of fun with it.

I went with the Artillery/Evnovo Genius, and I also have a Mosaic Palette on the way so I can experiment with multimaterial prints. I have a lot of ideas for things to make with that.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

3D printers will never quit seeming like some weird futuristic sci-fi thing to me, despite material limitations they're just so...imagination inspiring?

My local morel patch should be going right now. I may go out and check it in the next few days.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

fluffy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:32 am
I got a new 3D printer to replace my aging Makerbot. It’s got way more functionality and is a lot easier to work with although it’s not quite as precise and doesn’t do as well on the various bench tests. But I’m having a lot of fun with it.

I went with the Artillery/Evnovo Genius, and I also have a Mosaic Palette on the way so I can experiment with multimaterial prints. I have a lot of ideas for things to make with that.
Sounds cool! What kind of stuff do you print?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Historically I've mostly used it to fabricate utility things for around the house, both of my own designs and other peoples' designs, like a bunch of my studio cable management is using some wall-mounted hooks I designed, and someone else made some great headphone hooks for wire shelving units that I use as well. Also random other things around the house, like I made new feet for a midcentury coffee table, and some leveling feet for my shelving units, stuff like that. Also designed and printed a project enclosure for a remote controlled source selector kit I got off eBay.

The very first thing I designed was a fidget toy which was intended just to see if I could make a thing that could only be manufactured via 3D printing, and it got a brief surge of popularity. Someone remixed it into a Christmas ornament which ended up getting Thingiverse's monthly award back when that was still a thing.

I've got more stuff on my thingiverse profile.

Spud also got the 3D printing bug a couple years ago and he's got a side hustle making jewelry, which you've probably seen on Facebook.

Anyway when I have multimaterial printing working I'm going to try making more pins. I have a few enamel pins I've been selling but they need to be manufactured in huge quantities and there's no real prototyping phase, and I sell my pins at a local shop now and I'd like to be able to do faster turnaround whenever the owner has a desire for a particular design. Like he really wants to sell pronoun pins and I don't want to go through the rigamarole of getting a large quantity made without knowing if my designs are going to do well.

Like, pins are generally manufactured in quantities of 100, and the shop only buys them from me a dozen at a time. It'd be great to have him go "Oh hey I need a dozen more such-and-such" and I push a button and a few hours later I have his precise order ready.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh yeah, multimaterial printing also opens up a bunch more interesting opportunities, like I want to make print-in-place cases for my Pocket Operators including lightguides and flexible membranes around the buttons, and at some point I'm going to HAVE to experiment with conductive filament too, to see what sorts of interesting things I can do with integrated circuitry or whatever. I bet I could do something interesting with flex filament + conductive filament to make touch strip controllers or something.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

fluffy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:43 pm
like I want to make print-in-place cases for my Pocket Operators including lightguides and flexible membranes around the buttons
That all sounds like a lot of fun. If you get around to making a PO case I'd love to see what you come up with. I still just have the one PO but I've been itching to get another one or two and while the case I got from them is fine, it's nothing special either.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah there's a bunch of PO case designs on Thingiverse already, and I was definitely going to use their work as a basis.

I really should actually learn Blender at some point. I've just been modeling everything in OpenSCAD and that gets really irritating after a while.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

RIP Genesis P-Orridge. I'm not sure how many other people here would name check her as an influence, but I sure do. Now I'm going to weep and listen to Hamburger Lady on repeat.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh holy heck I hadn't heard. :( Dang, I never got into their music (beyond liking a handful of Psychic TV tracks) but dang did I love their aesthetic, and of course their gender pioneering. Their existence was very comforting to me.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

fluffy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:05 pm
Oh holy heck I hadn't heard. :( Dang, I never got into their music (beyond liking a handful of Psychic TV tracks) but dang did I love their aesthetic, and of course their gender pioneering. Their existence was very comforting to me.
Yeah, back in college I briefly had a noise/industrial/general abrasiveness themed show and I'd play Throbbing Gristle on there ALL THE TIME. Interestingly I never really got into Psychic TV or watched any performances or videos or anything. I only found out about the P-Orridge being trans thing a couple years ago, but man, she was out WAY before that was a socially acceptable thing to do. I hadn't been aware of any media figures (obscure or not) doing that until Laura Jane Grace did back in like...2009? 2010?

Musical pioneer, gender-presentation pioneer...she was awesome!
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

If you're stuck at home and looking for new sources of entertainment, you might give some time to the Internet Archive. (If you like what's there, you might even give them a donation.)

Also, check whether your local library supports the Kanopy service -- it's more or less like Netflix, but with different stuff. Just visit Kanopy and log in with your library credentials.