Music Gift Ideas ... Tis some season

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
pegor
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: stratocaster
Recording Method: blaming the equipment

Music Gift Ideas ... Tis some season

Post by pegor »

I have an 18 yo family member who can make music noises on lots of different instruments, he played in school bands and can improvise pretty well on sax. He is looking into training in instrument repair. I'd like to convince him that engineering scratches the same itches. basically I'm looking for beginner techie projects for the music minded kid.......
does anyone have recommendations for beginner kits for building : guitar pedal, theremin, small portable amps, light organ things?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Music Gift Ideas ... Tis some season

Post by fluffy »

Look Mum No Computer sometimes sells kits/plans for various modular synth modules and usually puts the schematics/bill of materials/etc. on his projects page for free, and there's a bunch of fun little synth project kits you can buy on Amazon and eBay.

The only DIY synth kits I've put together myself are from tastychips.nl and I honestly wouldn't recommend them.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Music Gift Ideas ... Tis some season

Post by ken »

I can recommend a couple of books:

Teardowns: Learn How Electronics Work by Taking Them Apart by Bryan Bergeron

Electronic Projects for Musicians by Craig Anderton

Also, there are a lot of inexpensive and easy guitar pedal kits like: https://buildyourownclone.com/

Or more expensive build or mod your microphone kits: https://microphone-parts.com/
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang