Songfighter Videos on YouTube

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Songfighter Videos on YouTube

Post by fluffy »

Not quite a music video but I made a karaoke version of one of my GOM covers from a few years ago:

ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Hi All,
I made a quick video for Berkeley Social Scene's Poetry in the Streets from footage of us tracking in our space. Not super exciting, but I'm trying to get more experience. More to come...

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

I covered one of my favorite songs from the Songfight Archive for No Fake Friday.

Hostess Mostess - Unless I Change My Mind

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

That was cool.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

Just in time for Halloween...

it's a new Jerkatorium video for "Super Creepy":

All clips are taken from footage of Bread and Puppet Theater performances (and everything was downloaded from Archive.org, all footage Creative Commons). You gotta check out the Bread and Puppet Theater, they're amazing. Lots of their stuff is on YouTube, and their website is https://breadandpuppet.org.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh wow, Erin used to go to Bread and Puppet in Vermont back in the day,
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Cool video! I particularly like the part with the performers playing instruments during the solo.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I've made a cover song!

I make a Project For Awesome* video each year, and because the Australian government continues to be an absolute steaming turd, it's usually always for a charity that supports refugees. This year I've made my video encouraging people to donate to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Australia. Videos that get lots of votes on the Project For Awesome website go in the running to have a whole lot of money donated to the nominated charity, so if you like my video you can go and vote for it here.

Here's the video, where I awkwardly talk for two and a half minutes about the ASRC and what I'm doing in the video. At around about 2:20 you get to hear my song while I paint a bar-tailed godwit.

*A project started by John and Hank Green to get people talking about charities and why we should support them.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

I had a video project going a few years back! I was procedurally generating the visuals using Java graphics libraries and generating all of the audio using Overtone, a livecoding library written in Clojure.

Here's a couple of the coolest ones!

I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:26 pm
I've made a cover song!

I make a Project For Awesome* video each year, and because the Australian government continues to be an absolute steaming turd, it's usually always for a charity that supports refugees. This year I've made my video encouraging people to donate to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Australia. Videos that get lots of votes on the Project For Awesome website go in the running to have a whole lot of money donated to the nominated charity, so if you like my video you can go and vote for it here.

Here's the video, where I awkwardly talk for two and a half minutes about the ASRC and what I'm doing in the video. At around about 2:20 you get to hear my song while I paint a bar-tailed godwit.

*A project started by John and Hank Green to get people talking about charities and why we should support them.
Aww, how lovely, I love that Mountain Goats album, and it's a great choice of song for the charity. I enjoyed both your interpretation with the rich instrumentation, and seeing the live painting! Voted.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 pm
I had a video project going a few years back! I was procedurally generating the visuals using Java graphics libraries and generating all of the audio using Overtone, a livecoding library written in Clojure.

Here's a couple of the coolest ones!

I have to confess I didn't watch these start to finish because I have a headache and there are kind of a lot of flashing colors and non-headache-friendly sounds here (also because I know you didn't painstakingly toil over each note and visual yourself) but it's a really cool idea and I watched bits of each of them! I particularly like how the start of the 2nd one wound up with some midcentury modern architecture vibes as far as shapes and color palette but a decidedly non-midcentury modern general aesthetic and sound. What algorithms did you use to generate them?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 pm
Wow, those were awesome. Did you ever post the source code anywhere?
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Maybe on github? I'll try to remember to dig it up, I'm almost computered out today.

The algorithms I used were all basically just chaining together temporary pattern generators that were connected to simple oscillators. Squares, sines, white noise, the associated envelopes, various parameters that affect the pattern, hooking up midi controllers to said parameters and then changing the code on the fly as it executes cause Clojure is awesome.

In "sequence" the video events were also connected to the same pattern, so if you notice it modulates in time with the song. In "iterate" I generated it by gradually incrementing one of the variables in a spiral generating function every frame and it started doing this awesome pulse thing so I saved it and overlaid the music later.

I abandoned that project when I moved into slam influenced breakcore/speedcore free tempo algorave stuff in my bandcamp link...then came here cause I needed a change of creative pace :p

crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

owl wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:27 pm
crumpart wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:26 pm
I've made a cover song!

Aww, how lovely, I love that Mountain Goats album, and it's a great choice of song for the charity. I enjoyed both your interpretation with the rich instrumentation, and seeing the live painting! Voted.
Thanks! I started out mucking around with a cover just using the cavaquinho that was very similar in execution to that John Darnielle style, but then decided to go all out different. I decided to base all the arrangement on instruments I’ve collected from different places (what I buy in lieu of souvenirs) to reflect the idea that we’re all in this together and no one comes from just one place.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Crumpart (though I think we both just exposed our actual names with those video links :p): I loved that painting! I was trying to follow your process and it was enjoyable to watch, despite me knowing little to nothing about painting techniques besides what I've seen on Bob Ross...did you get his show in Australia? I assume no but look him up and his happy trees if you didn't.

And Owl: funny you mention midcentury modern. My favorite art style out there is Op Art as in the sort that Bridget Riley and Victor Vasarely creates, so basically a big part of that super geometric eyepopping style that was huge during that period. If you check out "Spooky" on the same channel it's directly based on a Vasarely piece.

crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:25 am
Crumpart (though I think we both just exposed our actual names with those video links :p): I loved that painting! I was trying to follow your process and it was enjoyable to watch, despite me knowing little to nothing about painting techniques besides what I've seen on Bob Ross...did you get his show in Australia? I assume no but look him up and his happy trees if you didn't.

And Owl: funny you mention midcentury modern. My favorite art style out there is Op Art as in the sort that Bridget Riley and Victor Vasarely creates, so basically a big part of that super geometric eyepopping style that was huge during that period. If you check out "Spooky" on the same channel it's directly based on a Vasarely piece.
I love op art so much. Bridget Riley is amazing.

We didn’t get Bob Ross in Australia, but I definitely know about him and have watched a few YouTube videos just to understand what people mean when they talk about him.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

I didn't know Bridget Riley or Victor Vasarely but I looked them up and I'm glad I did! Bridget Riley's stuff is particularly great. We have a op art-ish koru poster by Gordon Walters on our bedroom door and I like that kind of clean geometric design.

It may be basic to say so these days, but Bob Ross is wonderful <3
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Jerkatorium »

New Jerkatorium music video for our SpinTunes 16 Round 1 song "In The Future":

BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Nice job, Jerks! I love me some Criswell!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Nice video, Jerks. The lip syncing lines up so well, did that take a long time? Also, those pauses are so good!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I would have liked the song except the way that you sang the one syllable word "of" over multiple notes completely ruined the whole thing for me. :P
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Jerkatorium »

owl wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:21 pm
Nice video, Jerks. The lip syncing lines up so well, did that take a long time? Also, those pauses are so good!
Thank you, and yes, it did take some time. But most of our time was spent trying to extend the word "of" out to several syllables, which was obviously the best part of the song.