Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I like her.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Does software count? I dropped some money on yet another pack of virtual instruments I'll never use because I never have time, but they're insanely cool.

It's a bunch of virtual brass instruments from Samplemodeling. The unique thing about them is that there are no pre-recorded articulations - you can do anything live in MIDI using an expression pedal or wind controller.

Trumpet:
https://www.samplemodeling.com/mp3/http:%7C%7Cwww.sample-modeling.com/Demos/3-My_Friend_in_Cairo.mp3
French Horn:
https://www.samplemodeling.com/mp3/http:%7C%7Cwww.sample-modeling.com/Demos/FHorn+Tuba/Ahmed.mp3
Tuba:
https://www.samplemodeling.com/mp3/http:%7C%7Cwww.sample-modeling.com/Demos/FHorn+Tuba/Elephants_%28Matthew_Moore%29.mp3
Trombone:
https://www.samplemodeling.com/mp3/http:%7C%7Cwww.sample-modeling.com/Demos/Trombones/Trombone_3/Oddball_%28by_Matthew_Moore%29.mp3

I already had the solo/ensemble strings package (which is just as insanely cool and which I haven't used either). I mainly decided to pull the trigger on this one because they have a COVID-19 special where the bundles are €100 off... and from what I can tell they've never discounted anything before.

Here's a sample from the strings:

https://www.samplemodeling.com/mp3/http:%7C%7Cwww.sample-modeling.com/Demos/STRINGS/Labelli/Ravel-Scherzo_Cristian_Labelli.mp3
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Nice guitar there, Crumpy. Love the color and looking forward to hearing it.

Jast has virtual GAS. Why not, right?
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I bought a joyo jf15 cause it was on sale on prime day and the description said it was a decent DI amp sim with a good beefy low end.

Also cheap. Will report back.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 am
I bought a joyo jf15 cause it was on sale on prime day and the description said it was a decent DI amp sim with a good beefy low end.

Also cheap. Will report back.
For live shows I have a jf14 (the "American") on my pedalboard and never turn it off. Interestingly, whereas the jf14 is a clone/ripoff of Tech-21's "Blonde" pedal, I couldn't find a comparative Tech-21 pedal for the Joyo California pedal (the jf15).

Anyway, they sound great AND they're cheap, not EVEN THOUGH. I have a Tech-21 Flyrig, from this period of time when I was trying to have as little gear as possible, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as my Joyo. (To be fair I never played the Blonde, so I dunno if that would be just super awesome or what).

The only thing I ever found that was negative about the Joyo pedal perforamnce-wise is that their signal isn't as strong as the Tech-21.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Interested to hear how you like the new Joyo, I ended up grabbing the Joyo Vol/Wah II during the sale myself. I own the Joyo Ironman JF-309 Boogie Master which is supposed to be the Joyo California in a smaller form factor and I like it and use it on my "Stereo Metal Practice Board" (though I use it as a clean channel for my Black Arts Toneworks Custom CTTBOTO Pharaoh Fuzz) which you can see here: Image
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I have the Ammoon clone of the Joyo American clone, for some reason. I assume it's basically the same inside, anyway. I love it and use it on everything. Kinda curious to pick up the California and compare them, since they're so cheap. Although I see there's also a British one and a Vox one. And a cab simulator impulse box thing! Although that's more expensive.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I bought a couple of things on sale yesterday but didn't even think about looking at Joyo... even though I have a few on the want list. Looks like they are still on sale today, I'll have to check it out when I get home. Oh, and buy some bandages for my pocketbook.

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Just got the Wah-II - probably shouldn't have. I already own over half a dozen wah pedals and almost never use them any more (since I quit gigging electric.) But I couldn't resist. Well, I could, but I didn't want to.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

So far I've resisted the strong temptation to buy a bunch of random Joyo pedals that I don't need. I just need to make it till Prime Day is over!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

No, no, you need to buy all non-duplicate sound equipment that you can afford.

Honestly it was between the JF 15 or their tremolo pedal. But if was going to get the tremolo pedal i'd have wanted to get two of them to go with the stereo outputs on my waza dimension c for supreme warbly trippiness. So I went with the one that would make a decent amp sim with reviews saying it worked well on low tones.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:23 am

Honestly it was between the JF 15 or their tremolo pedal. But if was going to get the tremolo pedal i'd have wanted to get two of them to go with the stereo outputs on my waza dimension c for supreme warbly trippiness. So I went with the one that would make a decent amp sim with reviews saying it worked well on low tones.
I will say that my version of the Cali is much better on the low end than the pedal I had replaced, which was the Vox Ironman version. I had originally wanted the Vox/Fender stereo... but the Vox had zero low end, so I have a Mesa/Fender stereo now and am very happy as it has an even low end on either side now instead of the lopsided feeling of the original Vox pedal in my chain.
-Ujn Hunter
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

ujnhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:51 am
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:23 am

I will say that my version of the Cali is much better on the low end than the pedal I had replaced, which was the Vox Ironman version. I had originally wanted the Vox/Fender stereo... but the Vox had zero low end, so I have a Mesa/Fender stereo now and am very happy as it has an even low end on either side now instead of the lopsided feeling of the original Vox pedal in my chain.
And as someone who for the time being is playing all of my "guitar parts" on the upper register of a bass guitar, capturing a decent low-end is very important. Of course that will still be the case in a few months once my schecter omen 7 ships in, but then at least I'll have another octave and a half to play with. And REALLY have to fight the urge to buy all of the effects pedals I can.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Ha, my last post here didn't quite pan out.

So I *did* get a 7 string guitar, finally. But it was a Sterling JP157, not a Schecter Omen 7, because my attempt to get a good deal on one through my uncle didn't quite pan out due to them being out of stock everywhere. Either way, it's a beaut. I'm having to learn how to set up a tremolo bar with a floating bridge, which is kind of an interesting process. First thing I did was try and put thicker strings on it, which led to the bridge tilting super far forward...so then had to take the back off, bust out the screwdriver, tighten up the tension springs on the bridge. And then realized all of this makes tuning more difficult. Totally worth it though! I've been re-learning all of my songfight songs on the instrument I had in mind for them.

Unrelated and totally free, I also procured a Big Muff Germanium pedal from my friend who was trying to downsize his pedal collection. Between those two, it's been a fantastic winter for my gear collection. :)
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Um hi. My name is JB and I just got suckered into buying a guitar.
58ABCC38-EE1B-4C77-AB2F-78B21ECC9889.jpeg
58ABCC38-EE1B-4C77-AB2F-78B21ECC9889.jpeg (33.83 KiB) Viewed 929 times
It was $50 and supposedly actually works as an NES and comes with a copy of Super Mario 3.

So. Uh, I guess we’ll see what happens now.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I love it.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Haha I've been seeing that ad too. I'm glad I never clicked on it and found out how cheap it was. That could have been dangerous.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

So I had to Google NES Guitar and this showed up as the top hit...
https://reverb.com/item/2260395-guitend ... or-details

However when typing "NES Guitar" Google tried to Autofill as "NES Guitar Scam"... so... I saw this:
https://www.gearnews.com/new-scam-surfa ... es-guitar/

:(
-Ujn Hunter
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Ah dang, I should have followed my gut and googled as usual. I figured the scam would be a shitty item not no item. I’ll see if Apple Pay can refund or something.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

As part of my project of "sell random stuff on Ebay, Reverb, and Discogs" project, I bought an old DOD FX25B.

What a funky pedal! Everyone needs an envelope filter.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Thomann has a new online thing called Stompenberg where you can try out pedals remotely with your actual guitar. https://www.musicradar.com/news/test-gu ... online-app
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!