Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Post by Cybronica »

Once again, thank you crumpart for all the help!

For the people who use a shure SM7B, what preamp/interface set up do you use? Is a cloudlifter necessary/worth it?
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I know some folks just use their preamp built in to their audio interface with the SM7B and get by without a Cloudlifter by just cranking the gain all the way up. For folks who know how to project, though, you may not even need to max out the gain on your interface preamp. You could start off without the Cloudlifter and see how it goes, and add it in later if needed.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Was someone going to do an in depth video comparison of the Vox MV50 AC and Vox MV50 Rock or something? My understanding is the Rock has more gain on tap than the AC (and may also be voiced slightly more Marshally than AC30 Voxy) but someone with access to both might know more about it... ;) I'm going to attempt to record a tiny little guitar part for this weeks song with my Vox MV50 AC using the Direct Out (though I'm also capturing the DI and may end up using an Amp Sim instead depending on which sounds better...) so I'll be testing that out at least.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm using the Rock's emulated line/headphone out for the guitars for the BSS Nur Ein song this week, keep your ears out. (I hadn't used it in a long time and decided to try it randomly after playing it through the cabinet I got, and I actually think it sounds really good!) If I'm feeling motivated I will figure out about doing some kind of comparison, but, probably just audio. I'm not very savvy at video editing.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Double track the guitars. Hard pan the Rock version to one side and the AC version to the other side. Please. (Just a suggestion.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That's a good idea! I just did that. Right away when switching back to the new AC version, with the gain/tone/volume set the same as the Rock there is a LOT less distortion. I had to turn the gain up and the volume down to get a comparable level of thickness in the distortion, which I wanted because I didn't want the pair of tracks to sound really out of balance in terms of how much distortion they had. i think even with things "matched" that way the Rock sounds a lot meatier still and the AC sound thinner.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Ooh, that's helpful in comparing them in my brain. Also, don't forget to do it again only leave all the settings identical so we can compare... (at some point, please.) I'm glad I got the AC even though I'm more of the Rock tone guy. The AC is way more useful. That being said, I still haven't gotten it out to record.

Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

i did it- I bought the Shure SM7B and a Focusrite 8i6 (and cables and stand). I am very excited- I can't wait for them to arrive!!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Hooray! Looking forward to hearing what you do with them.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

If anyone would like more gear, we've just listed our Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz pedal for sale on Reverb. Toshiro bought it in the 90s but wants a Big Muff instead. https://rvrb.io/1993-1997-fz-2-hyp-kq304a
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Nice pedal there, Crumpy. I'm curious as to why Toshiro wants a Big Muff. Great pedal, but probably less versatile. I've had one for ages now, only break it out for Muffy Moments. Last time I recall using it at SF! was for Corvette, with a Blue Lang (!) made treble booster in front of it.

Good luck with the sale though, prob move quick enough.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

He bought the Hyper Fuzz back in 93 after Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream came out, because who wouldn't really, but says it's never really gelled for him. He says he wants the Bigg Muff instead (the Rams Head one) because he puts his fuzz at the start of the chain and the BM has more bite, so is less likely to get muddy. It's his birthday soon, so we ordered it today. I'm also getting my Christmas present early. My first ever Very Own Electric Guitar, which is cheap enough to modify however I want, and it has racing stripes!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, happy birthday and Merry Christmas, then! Love the color on the guitar, layout too. I'm surs you'll have a blast with it.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Curse you right-handers, and your options :(
.sig
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

gizo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:12 am
Curse you right-handers, and your options :(
This has always baffled me... I'm left handed... I play guitar "right handed", but I'm not sure why it's considered "right handed" as all your right hand is doing is strumming... which seems way less technical than your left hand which is moving all around into different shapes and posses and twiddling digits here and there... which seems perfectly normal for my dominant left hand to be doing... can anyone shed some light on this for me? Mainly because there are tons of things I can't do being left handed... like play the damn Nintendo Wii (which actually turned me away from Nintendo ever since...)

Back on topic though... I bought another combo amp... found a cheap Fender Super Champ X2 locally which is an all tube amp (Fender Clean which I've always wanted and am going to use as a pedal platform) that also comes with some digital voicings on a second channel along with some FX that you can change/edit using a USB port on the back. Thought about getting the head version but the combo version I found here was cheaper and you can still use it like the head version through a 4x12 if you want.
-Ujn Hunter
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

ujnhunter wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 am
I'm not sure why it's considered "right handed" as all your right hand is doing is strumming... which seems way less technical than your left hand which is moving all around into different shapes and posses and twiddling digits here and there... which seems perfectly normal for my dominant left hand to be doing... can anyone shed some light on this for me?
No. But I always assumed it was because of plucking / finger picking baroque and classical pieces... like on a lute or something. Now that I think about it I have no basis in reality for that assumption. *shrug*

gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

I have no skin in the "is it left or is it right" game really. There's dominant behaviour, and non-dominant behaviour.

Just sucks that because I'm a minority I don't have access to the variety that the rest of yuo do.

I kick left, throw right, guitar 'left', mouse right, write left, racquet right, etc.
But I used to play guitar 'right' handed as well, and I can kick right-footed almost as well as left.

Frankly, in my experience, being part of the 'non-dominant' group has made me much more flexible. Like, when I played live shows we would save space by swapping guitars around, and I'd just play upside down and baffle the rigid right-handers.

Oh, and when I talk about kicking, I'm talking about a good old-fashioned drop punt. Sensible football stuff. The silky skills of a Darren Jarman, or the languid attitude of a
.sig
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

gizo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 pm
Oh, and when I talk about kicking, I'm talking about a good old-fashioned drop punt. Sensible football stuff. The silky skills of a Darren Jarman, or the languid attitude of a
Come on. Don’t leave us hanging.

Gavin Wanganeen? That’s who comes first to mind when I think “languid”.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Darryl White.
.sig
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Although Gavin is a fine example also.
.sig
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

gizo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 pm
I kick left, throw right, guitar 'left', mouse right, write left, racquet right, etc.
But I used to play guitar 'right' handed as well, and I can kick right-footed almost as well as left.

Frankly, in my experience, being part of the 'non-dominant' group has made me much more flexible. Like, when I played live shows we would save space by swapping guitars around, and I'd just play upside down and baffle the rigid right-handers.
This is so weird to think about, I must be 'non-dominant' too, but opposite to some of yours. I kick right, throw left, guitar 'right', mouse right, write left, raquet left, bat right, hockey right... Wii left... :(

At least you can get a true custom Tony Iommi guitar. ;)
-Ujn Hunter
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Update: fkn love my new guitar! After taking this photo I replaced the strings with a heavier set, cleaned up a few rough edges on the fretboard and knocked a couple of sharp edges off the frets, adjusted the pickups, lowered the action and adjusted the intonation. All to be expected on a super cheap guitar and I learned some stuff so yay! Her name is Clementine.

E26EDEDC-188F-4C35-97F4-78659DC206E5.jpeg
E26EDEDC-188F-4C35-97F4-78659DC206E5.jpeg (180.9 KiB) Viewed 1029 times